As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    [El Skid]
    After a quick cab ride, you arrive at the club and stride in looking fantastic. The DJ is playing new wave music at an obnoxious volume, and the light strobes lazily from blue to red. In New York, you think to yourself, this place would have been shut down within a week out of pure shame. A small crowd is undulating on the dance floor, and a steady line moves into and out of the bathrooms, wiping their noses as they go. You spot Amanda at the bar, drinking some sort of neon orange drink from a martini glass and surrounded by three eager eyed men with pallid skin, heavily styled hair and checkered sports coats. As soon as she spots you, the dull eyed look on her face melts away and she shoves past the would be suitors to talk to you with a grin. "Heyyyy there! You made it! Oh, isn't this place just incredible!? ABQ used to be so dead." She takes another drink from her glass and nods over to some secluded tables away from the speakers and dance floor. "Why don't you grab some more drinks and we'll find a more...exclusive spot."
    [Marcus, rucdoc and Peff]
    While the porter carts Mathew's gear to his secondary room, he takes a detour to the prearranged suite, missing Guy by a scant half hour. Stepping in, he finds the two doctors lounging on the chairs by the TV, barely paying attention to the Lakers viciously beating the Suns in the playoffs.

• Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    Mathew walks into the room and takes off his hat. "Doctors, I believe the problem we have is deeper than we may have been lead to believe. It seems the director here brought in some outside help, a Dr. Noun Samphan, who has now taken over a large section of of the facility. I have yet to be able to loo into his work, but the source I talked to said it was getting very bad. I'm gonna setup in another room and work on some things you guys might not want to be part of. if any one asks, I went home. Now any questions?"

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Guy smiled smile #43 (happy and interested) and winked at the reporter, heading over to the bar to grab some drinks. On the way by he casually brushed against her hand with his, Physical contact was a must early on- nothing inappropriate, but it helped to get things moving on the right track for his... "search for information".

He could have picked a better place to meet, he mused as he took out a 20 and slapped it on the bar. Toward the bartender he yelled "Two of what she's having" nodding towards the reporter. "You can keep the change."

"'s there anything a newcomer needs to know about this place?" he said more quietly as the bartender came over to grab the 20.

• Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    "Hola, Matthew, long time no see, eh? Care for a drink before you go running off again?" Javier said with smirk and motioning to the mini fridge. "Care to fill us in on what that phone call was about earlier? Anything we should watch out for?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Someone was monitoring the call, probably all calls going in or out of the building. No I would not like a drink, I still have alot of work to do tonight, and watch out for everything, anything that seems off, or anyone from the company."

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "Alright, so we can't trust anyone from the company. Got it. Javier and I found out that the Doctor might have gotten his heart from an illegal source. We're checking that out tomorrow."

• Options
    "Sounds like some more bad tuna, be careful. if That is all I will head upstairs and start work."

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    "Not unless you've got anything else for us...try not to stay up too late with whatever you're playing at."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Skid]
    As he mixes some sort of orange liqueur and rum drink, the bartender tells you "Thanks buddy. My names Bruce, if you need drinks, you come to me. Anything else, ask Ricky. He's the guy over in the corner in the green suit. Anything you need, he can take care of it." He slides you the drinks and takes the money off the counter.
    [rucdoc]
    Working for most of the night, you unpack your equipment and set it up in the room, turning the place into a mess of wires and electronics. After coding the program and a quick test run, you set the program to run. You watch expectantly as the signal moves from your room, to your trailer, to the Virginia office, and back to New Mexico. By 3am, you are back into the Socorro database. Everything seemed to go off without a hitch.

• Options
    Sitting back and sighing Mathew drops the connection. "No point in trying to do this when I'm fried." With that he walks over to the door, ensures it's locked, then lays down in front of it. "This nap is gonna suck." he mummers to himself and falls asleep.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    [asleep]

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Guy nodded in thanks at the bartender. Grabbing the drinks, he headed over to the table where the reporter was waiting for him. Flashing a reassuring smile (#86, really dig you with a slight chance of swoon-induction), he gracefully placed the drink in front of the lady and slid into the chair beside her, so that they were not quite touching.

This was shaping up to be a fun night... Hopefully he could get some information while he enjoyed it.

"Amanda... I must say I've been looking forward to zis meeting all day. I kept yearning to look into your wonderful green eyes- zey are.. extrordinaire! Oh, but I get ahead of myself- we should discuss business before I lose myself in those wonderful eyes... Have you uncovered anysing further?"

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The woman sips at her drink while giving you a look, before starting to ramble. "Well! Really there's just a huge debate in the office about which angle to take. This kidnapping is just incredible news! Everyone is just eating it up, and I got the lead story! See, now Rick, my editor (total horses ass), thinks that we should play up the sympathy angle. Her friends and teachers are all saying she was just great. She played softball, didn't want to start dating boys till her dad said it was ok, she loved astronomy and whales...blah blah blah, mom's are crying, boring. Now Warren, the anchor, wants me to...well he wants me to fuck him, but ew. Anyway, he thinks we ought to go after the suspect, Dr. Morgan, and just go really hard at him. Military-Industrial complex bigwig snaps, a reflection of Reagan's America, the monster in our midst sort of thing. I could, like, go out and get some weepy interview with his wife. 'It's always the quiet ones' or 'The ones you never expect'! Better, but nothing too exciting. I found out that Hernandez is divorced, and the custody battle was just, super nasty. Maybe Mrs. Hernandez took the kid. Or she had an affair with Morgan, and they took the kid together! Ooohh, that would just be so thrilling! Think of the ratings! Ooh, I love this song!"

Amanda begins to bob her head to the thumping beat of some droning pop song while taking a healthy gulp from her drink.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    "Zis anchor, 'e sounds like someone you should avoid. 'is ideas seem heavy-handed, and 'is attitude toward you frankly makes me mad. You are obviously a sweet flower to be treasured, not some whore on ze street zat will bear herself to someone just because 'e has a high position." Guy was honestly quite upset at this guy, and it showed in his face. The man had no idea what he was doing, and his random offers for sex made it more difficult for everyone else to do things the right way!

"For my part, I managed to be in ze right place at ze right time, and I was able to overhear zis Monsieir Hernandez talking to ze police. Apparently zis man 'ad just 'ad some surgery as well, and came out of it not quite right in ze head. Some of ze drugs zey gave him apparently. 'e sounds like 'e needs some 'elp, not to be hunted down like a criminal and charged." Guy shook his head sadly at poor Dr. Morgan's plight. "If I can find 'im and ze girl, I'm sure I can right ze situation wissout ze need for bullets and sirens. Ze girl will be less traumatized, and ze man can get ze 'elp he so obviously needs instead of a quick trip to ze morgue."

Guy oozed empathy and compassion as he took a sip of the sugary drink.

El Skid on
  • Options
    Amanda's eyes widen a bit. "Oooh, an expose on medical malpractice and hospital incompetence? That's wonderful! The poor man couldn't help it! Driven to the brink by our pharmaceutical crazed culture! I like it. And you'd give me exclusive coverage when you brought him in, right? Oh, I am just so glad I met you. Is there anything...oh! One of the...uh...interns that we talked to." Amanda is rapidly becoming drunk. Or perhaps the excitement is intoxicating. "He said Morgan asked for a Dr. Appleton. Maybe that guy, that guy was in on it? That would be good for the story." She leans in towards you with a knowing grin. "Does that...help?"

• Options
    "It always helps to have leads to follow...You are as resourceful as you are beautiful, and zat is indeed saying somessing." Guy leaned forward as well, tantalizingly close to her lips as he gently placed his hand on hers, softly (given the music) saying "I am lucky to have found you. Though I am starting to think it was... fate that brought us togezzer..."

• Options
    Amanda gives you a smile that indicates she has no idea what you just said. Instead, she takes you by the hand and leads you out of the club to her car. After an...erratic drive, you end up at her apartment. Without wasting any time with formalities you both end up in her bedroom. Amanda pulls a small baggie full of white powder from her pocket, and pours a small amount onto the dresser. She looks at you questioningly as she rolls the dollar bill into a tube.

• Options
    Guy shook his head no, smiling sadly "I do not partake when I am on a case, but I appreciate your offer, cherie". he said,

• Options
    edited February 2012
    [El Skid]
    The reporter shrugs and snorts a long line of the powder and staggers back, and she seems to lose track of where she is for a long moment. When she finally regains her composure, she gives you a long and vacant grin and throws herself at you with crazed energy. Much of what follows fits in fairly well with your expectations. Amanda proves to be fairly mediocre, but more than makes up for it with enthusiasm. At times her shrieks are almost hysterical, and you wonder if her neighbors will call in the police. When it's finally over, she falls to sleep with a shudder and you slowly drift off as the sting of the deep scratches in your back resides.
    [ DAY TWO ]

The morning sun burns through the window far too soon, and you can feel a dully burning ache in the back your head as you sit up and begin to collect your clothing. Reaching for your socks, you see the remnants of the powder Amanda had snorted the night before. She must have woken during the night, as the powder has been drawn into some sort of design:
    bjjZC.jpg
    As you gingerly pull your shirt over the cuts in your back, you look over at the woman who made the marks. Amanda is curled into the fetal position, with a thin stream of blood running from her nose. On the pillow and mattress by her face is a pool of vomit, with a strange blue hue to it. Her body is wracked by intermittent spasm.
    [rucdoc]
    As you claw your way back to consciousness, you remember when 5 hours of sleep was all you really needed. Now, you feel as if you're moving through some sort of thick cotton gauze that's been drawn over your brain, and you stumble through the tangles of wires and the green on black illumination of the computer screen towards the bathroom.
    [Peff and Captain Marcus]
    Your wake up call arrives right on time, and you both awake refreshed and ready for another day of investigation. The television set you left on is now showing good morning america, and the hosts are laughingly learning how to handle a sluggish python.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Guy took a look at the poor girl and shook his head. Beauty was wasted on the young. At least she had been into it...

Slipping on a pair of gloves, he walked nonchalantly out of the girl's house, leaving the door unlocked. He would find a nearby payphone to make a call- he had some doctors at his disposal, so he may as well make sure the girl would be okay...

• Options
    Mathew stumbles into the bathroom, turns the shower on to warm, strips and steps into the stall. Letting the warm watter wash horrible five hours of sleep on a floor off of him, mathew goes over what he needs to get done today.

"Ok I need to make sure I double check the connection, make sure my local connection is solid. Should I double up security at the Virgina office? Maybe I should copy the database to the virgina office then access it from there. Can I lock out the local exchange so they can't back track the connection? Should I trap the door? Maybe I should call down to the desk and tell them I need complete privacy today. Well first thing I need to do is get something to eat, then we can deal with everything else."

With that mathew shuts off the shower gets out and dries off. pulls a fresh change of clothes out of his bag and changes into them. Then he heads down to eat breakfast.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Coming out of the shower, Javier sets the coffee pot to brewing right as the phone rings. Picking up the handset from the table between the beds "Hello...?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Hello, it is me. Glad it was you who picked up the phone; I have a patient for you- possible overdose. Symptoms are on-and-off spasms, blue vomit (she was drinking orange drinks last night, so not sure why it would be blue), nosebleed where the drug was ingested. Anything I can do?"

• Options
    "Ay dios mios, you had quite the evening then, didn't you?" Javier said with a half laugh, then dropping the mocking tone, he immediately goes into 'Dr. Mode.' "Alright first you'll want to make sure she's rolled onto her stomach so she does not choke, I imagine she's very warm to the touch, yeah? You need to get her core temperature down, either in a cold bath or with ice. WATCH HER if you use the bath, she's likely to be in and out of consciousness and you do not want to have a drowning and an overdose on your hands."

Pausing a minute to think, "If you have any Tylenol, try to get her to take a few of those as they will help with the hyperthermia. You might also check to see if she has any medications with an ingredient called benzodiazepine, its typically in anxiety medications. If she has any valium, that works as well. No caffeine, no heat. She's going to need some supervision for a while...I really don't know what the blue substance could be from your description of it, just that it certainly doesn't make sense given what you've told me about her alcohol intake...I can grab my bag and cab over if you're worried, just say the word."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "zzzzzz....snort hmpghlrum-muh? Javier, what's going on?"

• Options
    Putting his hand over the receiver, "It's Guy...he's had some complications with his date, calling for medical advice. We might need to make a house call."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    "What? Oh. Wunderbar, this is exactly what we need right now. Especially since she's a reporter."

Todt starts pulling on his day clothes.

"I can see the headlines now- 'Mysterious group responsible for strange death, obnoxious Frenchman protests innocence'"

Todt finishes putting on his things and grabs his gear, including his duffel bag with medical supplies.

"Find out where they are and let's go help her. Or at least help Guy concoct a plausible story."

Todt is annoyed, but ready to go.

Captain Marcus on
  • Options
    Still covering the receiver "Well at least he's a charming Frenchman...?" Not waiting for a response to his sarcasm, Javier returns his attention to the phone.

"Guy, we're on our way, where are you?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Come to Zeaning Place off of Aspen NW. I'll come out and wave you in."

• Options
    "Zeaning Place and Aspen NW...got it" Javier repeats as he jots down the address on a piece of hotel stationary. "We're on our way, go see to the girl until we get there."

Hanging up the phone and turning to Todt, "Alright, we've got the address. I don't expect Mason to be waiting so let's just grab a cab."

Javier grabs his medical bag and then heads toward the door.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hanging up, Guy walked calmly back towards Amanda's house. He would rather have run, but he knew better than to draw attention to himself.

• Options
    Todt follows his colleague, making sure to lock the door.

• Options
    [Peff and Marcus]
    You find a cab without much difficulty, and head over to the apartment. With a hefty tip and a great deal of encouragement, the driver gets you to the complex in 20 minutes.
    [Skid]
    You find Amanda much as she was before. A thin line of drool and vomit is running from her mouth into the pool on the sheets.

• Options
    Todt walks briskly ups the steps and knocks on the door.

• Options
    Lacking any medical training, Guy tried not to be too invasive while the doctors got there- still wearing his gloves, he removed the sheets from her body, and after taking a moment to admire her form placed something light and gauzy from her drawer over her for modesty's sake. After making sure she was still breathing, he headed to the window to signal the Doctors in.

• Options
    Noticing Guy at the window, "There he is, let's head in." Before touching the door handle, Javier pulls a pair of latex gloves out of his medial bag and slips them on.

Once inside, he finds Guy near the window "Where is the young lady? Any updates on her condition?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Finishing a rather good breakfast Mathew heads back upstairs to begin having fun with telecommunications laws.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Todt silently slips on his gloves and walks inside, locking the door behind him.

"Do you know what she used when she overdosed? Also, how was your night?"

• Options
    edited March 2012
    "She is in here" said Guy, turning towards the bedroom. "her twitching seems to have slowed down a bit, though I am not sure if zat is a good thing."

Guy was definitely presenting an outward air of conducting business... inside he was quite a bit more concerned then he would have thought possible, given the circumstances.

El Skid on
  • Options
    "Well, if she's moving that's good. Moving is good."

Todt takes out a stethoscope and examines the girl. He looks in her eyes with a penlight. He does various other doctory-stuff.

Rolls
    Biology 49vs81 pass
    Medicine 51vs80 pass

While he is diagnosing, he speaks to Guy.

"Anything you get out of her last night? And for that matter, anything strange happen? Normally when someone does cocaine, especially suburbanites like your reporter friend here, they don't do enough to OD. Not like this."