As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

On Burgs and Other Important Items of Nourishment

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    You're welcome!

It's one of those traditional British dishes I always forget isn't common elsewhere.

It's actually a pretty good dish for fussy kids, or kids who aren't too keen on fish. It's so potato-y and creamy (I'd say bland but that isn't quite right, as hopefully you have enough vegetables/herbs/seasoning to give it good flavour!) that it's really hard to dislike.

• DakataDakata Registered User regular
    The chicken punch is DEVASTATING!

"Life is a storm my young friend, you will bask in the sunlight one moment be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Thats it. You and I are taking a road trip.

It really is pretty fucking southern down there. My grandfather's hometown is pretty much along the same east-west line as St. Louis and Louisville.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Anyone have a good recipe for a Shepard's pie? I want to make one for when I play Mass Effect 3 in a week.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Anyone have a good recipe for a Shepard's pie? I want to make one for when I play Mass Effect 3 in a week.

Nice. :^:

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Shepard's pie
    Krogan sushi
    Mystery drink

....what else can be done?

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    hah, Krogan sushi

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Does the cook, Rupert, mention anything specific?

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think Hawthorne does... Hmm

E: doesn't Rupert say something about calamari

Quoth on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    you can get ramen on the citadel

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    neville wrote: »
    I'm watching "The Worst Chefs in America" and oh dear god it hurts me.

Chick on the show: "I really want these meatballs to be good, so I put these red herbs on to give it a bit of spice. Plus they look so cute."
    She threw on like a HANDFUL of saffron.

I actually yelled out "DEAR GOD NO"
    D:

I love one episode of Chopped where a chef forgets to make a sauce and at the last minute he garnishes the plate with white truffle oil

The judges all yelled at him when he did it

Hahaha I loved that.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    So, in preparation of moving, I've been collecting as much downloaded tv programming as I can in case I have to spend some time between places with no internet connection.

Legality aside, there really just aren't a lot of options for collecting cooking shows. Except for Australia and the UK. I can find all kinds of those. One in particular from Oz, is "My Kitchen Rules". I had no idea Australians were such stuck-up, pretentious little piss-ants and cunts. Jesus.

And the extent to which you fuckers openly mock and insult other countries is amazing. My God. At first I thought it was just playful. No. These little quasi-hipster fucks honestly hate New Zealanders that much. Even the otherwise decent soldier dudes on the show openly resent and deride the New Zealand couple. Fucking hell.

Australians are God-Damned cocks.

easysig2.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    God don't watch that show.

It's just big brother at a dinning table.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Seriously stale.

Don't try and make us feel bad.

You should feel bad for watching the show long enough to be able to type that much tripe about it.

Blake T on
    All I see on ads is some "couple" who are JUST FRIENDS (probably because she doesn't want to fuck him because he lacks an upper lip) be fuckwits to each other.

the "just friends" ones are the worst of the bunch. pretentious little fuck wits

easysig2.jpg
    and are these kitchens provided to them?

or does every australian have a 100k dollar kitchen?

easysig2.jpg
    I got to experience Stale's rant on the show in real-time yesterday.

Honestly, it was one of the funniest fucking things. By the end I was pretty sure he wanted to go to NZ and just hug everyone.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    look it's not our fault they fuck sheep

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    New Zealanders are Australia's version of the southern US. Everyone slams rednecks and southerners in the US, and everyone slams New Zealanders in Australia.

Syphyre on
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    don't forget the bogans

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    @Stale, I made the sweet potato casserole last night. I'm just going to post my thoughts here, because it was all pretty straight forward.

The recipe doesn't actually say when to add the vanilla. It was easy enough to assume when, but you should probably still put that in. The topping had a greater density than the potato mixture, so "spreading" it was kind of a trick. I developed a technique that I like to think of as "scattering ashes with a fork." It setup great though.

30 minutes was almost pushing it on the cook time. Like, I needed to pull it right at 30 with a black spot or two starting on the crust. Might tell people to start checking it before that? Or get more feedback on people's cooking times. Maybe my oven thermometer is wrong.

Tasted great. Very sweet, but not quite dessert. The orange zest is very noticeable. Makes the casserole seem unique, but I don't know if you'd intended it to be more subtle or what.

The filling had the more noticeable texture of sweet potatoes as compared to russets or whatever. I don't mind it, since I eat baked sweet potatoes all the time. But I'm wondering whether taking the mixer to them instead of hand mashing would impart a smoother texture or just be more work and equipment for little gain.

And lastly, though I'm hesitant on this and want to try it again today and would wait for more feedback from other people, but it seems like it could use a touch more salt. Just a little bit.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Made this to go with bacon-wrapped sirloin yesterday: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/stove-top-mac-n-cheese-recipe/index.html

Came out delicious and it's a super simple recipe that could easily be modified cheese wise for a different flavor.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Love fish pie, hate washing up after making fish pie.

@Stale, I made the sweet potato casserole last night. I'm just going to post my thoughts here, because it was all pretty straight forward.

The recipe doesn't actually say when to add the vanilla. It was easy enough to assume when, but you should probably still put that in. The topping had a greater density than the potato mixture, so "spreading" it was kind of a trick. I developed a technique that I like to think of as "scattering ashes with a fork." It setup great though.

30 minutes was almost pushing it on the cook time. Like, I needed to pull it right at 30 with a black spot or two starting on the crust. Might tell people to start checking it before that? Or get more feedback on people's cooking times. Maybe my oven thermometer is wrong.

Tasted great. Very sweet, but not quite dessert. The orange zest is very noticeable. Makes the casserole seem unique, but I don't know if you'd intended it to be more subtle or what.

The filling had the more noticeable texture of sweet potatoes as compared to russets or whatever. I don't mind it, since I eat baked sweet potatoes all the time. But I'm wondering whether taking the mixer to them instead of hand mashing would impart a smoother texture or just be more work and equipment for little gain.

And lastly, though I'm hesitant on this and want to try it again today and would wait for more feedback from other people, but it seems like it could use a touch more salt. Just a little bit.

All I hear is "Dan, it needs more salt."

This is excellent feedback, and exactly what I need. Good catch on the vanilla, you're right, I totally forgot to include that.

I have to remember to be vague with cooking times. I'll include verbiage to start checking at 25mins in.

Do you think adding a little fat to the topping may help with the density? I wanted it to stay thick, but if it's really a challenge to distribute I may need to re-think it.

I wanted the citrus to be pronounced, and I personally have always liked a thicker more sweet-potatoy consistency.

easysig2.jpg
    wait...

the casserole didn't have orange zest, the pone did.

and the pone didn't have a topping.

Did you combine the two?

easysig2.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Dan, it needs more cilantro

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Well, yea, but that's because everything needs more cilantro.

wait...

the casserole didn't have orange zest, the pone did.

and the pone didn't have a topping.

Did you combine the two?

I don't think you ever sent me a pone recipe. I think you posted it in the thread once for people that wanted an alternative or something? This is what you sent me:
    Sweet Potato Casserole (with no fucking marshmallows)

Comfort food Alpha and Omega. This dish is one of my favorites. Sweeter than Pone, and with the gooey sickly-sweet topping of Pecans and Sugar. This is the dish that so many people make the mistake of adding those God Damned marshmallows to. No. Bad. No Marshmallows.

Casserole

* 3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 2 eggs, beaten
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla
    * 1/2 cup heavy cream
    * 1/2 cup melted butter.
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * Zest of one orange

Topping
    * 2/3 cup brown sugar
    * 1/2 cup AP flour
    * 1/2 cup melted butter
    * 1 cup chopped pecans
    * 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pre-heat to 375.

Begin with a large mixing bowl and combine the sugar, eggs, cream, and butter. When well incorporated begin adding the spuds in 3 doses. When you have a good mixture and everything seems uniform, add the zest, salt and nutmeg and stir well to combine.

Pour this into a well-lubricated casserole dish. In a smaller bowl combine the topping ingredients. Just combine them enough to mix, and spread over the top of the casserole.

Set this in the middle of the oven and cook for 30 and then check. The topping should set and caramelize evenly.

That has zest and a topping. Anyway, I like the zest, it's just more forward than I would have expected going in.

And I'm hesitant to suggest more fat for the topping given how much is in there already. I'm going to go into cardiac arrest trying to move your furniture. Maybe if the pecans are really finely chopped/processed it would spread? Or it would just be a sludge. I dunno.

Or maybe just tell people to crumble/not quite sprinkle/disperse/cropdust/some other word the topping instead of spreading it.

Fair enough.

and that's weird. I must have decided to try and combine the two recipes. Huh. Well, if it works, it works.

easysig2.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So, in preparation of moving, I've been collecting as much downloaded tv programming as I can in case I have to spend some time between places with no internet connection.

Legality aside, there really just aren't a lot of options for collecting cooking shows. Except for Australia and the UK. I can find all kinds of those. One in particular from Oz, is "My Kitchen Rules". I had no idea Australians were such stuck-up, pretentious little piss-ants and cunts. Jesus.

And the extent to which you fuckers openly mock and insult other countries is amazing. My God. At first I thought it was just playful. No. These little quasi-hipster fucks honestly hate New Zealanders that much. Even the otherwise decent soldier dudes on the show openly resent and deride the New Zealand couple. Fucking hell.

You realise it's a reality show? They deliberately pick the most worthless pieces of whiny shit to ensure the maximum amount of drama. The whole show is literally a competition to see who can be the most pretentious 'foodie' wanker. Actual human beings love Kiwis. We rip on 'em, yeah, but it's the same as when you're with your mates and you all pay out on each other for shits and giggles. Surely if we were that mean to them, then there wouldn't be 1% of the entire population of New Zealand immigrating here each year...

In the past week I've learned just how much sugar one can consume without knowing it.

I decided to give up "excess sugar" for Lent. This means no soda, no cake, no pie, no candies, no gummi bears, no donuts, no cookies. No Sweet Iced Tea.

On one hand...damn. On the other hand, hey, that much healthier since I'm eating more fruit again!

You realise it's a reality show? They deliberately pick the most worthless pieces of whiny shit to ensure the maximum amount of drama. The whole show is literally a competition to see who can be the most pretentious 'foodie' wanker. Actual human beings love Kiwis. We rip on 'em, yeah, but it's the same as when you're with your mates and you all pay out on each other for shits and giggles. Surely if we were that mean to them, then there wouldn't be 1% of the entire population of New Zealand immigrating here each year...

I'm hoping it's just that one episode I saw and not the whole thing. But it was like they built an entire episode around slamming the perfectly pleasant NZ couple simply because they are from NZ.

Clearly I don't watch enough reality tv to be desensitized to that kind of bullshit.

easysig2.jpg
    No it's the entire thing.

Masterchef is far more about cooking. Though it isn't often about cooking techniques (though it is sometimes).

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    In the past week I've learned just how much sugar one can consume without knowing it.

I decided to give up "excess sugar" for Lent. This means no soda, no cake, no pie, no candies, no gummi bears, no donuts, no cookies. No Sweet Iced Tea.

On one hand...damn. On the other hand, hey, that much healthier since I'm eating more fruit again!

Did I ever tell anyone about the time I tried to eat 100 flavor-ice (otter pops) in one sitting?

It didn't go well

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Rainbow coloured vomit?

I hesitate to ask, but....how many did you get through?

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man I love otter pops.

I can't wait for summer.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
This discussion has been closed.