As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guamanian Old Party [Republican Primary]

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    wazilla wrote: »
    Perhaps Romney is just doing the ancient dance of the democrat, and snatching defeat form the jaws of victory.

Perhaps most of us are so used to seeing it form the other side that we don't recognize it now.

Well, you know, Romney isn't perfect. He says so himself.

Literally, when asked if he's worried about how he comes across to voters his answer was "I'm not perfect."

:D

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Perhaps Romney is just doing the ancient dance of the democrat, and snatching defeat form the jaws of victory.

Perhaps most of us are so used to seeing it form the other side that we don't recognize it now.

Well, you know, Romney isn't perfect. He says so himself.

Literally, when asked if he's worried about how he comes across to voters his answer was "I'm not perfect."

:D

It's uncanny how much more and more he reminds me of Kerry as this primary goes on.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I actually heard some Republican someone or the other expert on NPR say something like ’Maybe a brokered convention would be a good thing for us at this point' in an interview yesterday evening. I had the biggest grin on my face after that.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I actually heard some Republican someone or the other expert on NPR say something like ’Maybe a brokered convention would be a good thing for us at this point' in an interview yesterday evening. I had the biggest grin on my face after that.

I want it to happen. Half of my interest is actually watching a brokered convention. It sounds awesome when it happens to the other side.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Brokered convention is unlikely I think.

The chances of it go up depending on the results out of Arizona and Michigan, but recent polling suggests that they're both probably going Romney.

I would love it to happen, but I'm skeptical.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

The chances of it go up depending on the results out of Arizona and Michigan, but recent polling suggests that they're both probably going Romney.

It's definitely a long shot. But damn it sounds fucking awesome.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If Santorum pulls Michigan, the GOP will literally explode.

Literally.

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Huh. Indeed it was. Clearly I, in fact, do not remember.

I remember! I thought Than was being ri
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just realized. Romney is actually Arnold Rimmer. He takes credit for everything good that happens, refuses to take any blame ever, seems to be running because he should want to be president rather than actually wanting anything to do with the presidency, has that same stupid smile when he's being insulted. It's uncanny.

The sad part is, Rimmer is a hologramatic projection of a dead guy yet still comes across as more human than Mittens.
    kildy wrote: »
    Before I go to bed, something generally meaningless for the campaign. But it's a lolRomney moment as he offhandedly reminds everyone he's so rich he has no idea what it's like looking at things from those seats everyone paid to sit in:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/racing/wires/02/26/3010.ap.car.nascar.daytona.romney.1st.ld.writethru.0797/index.html
    Romney was at Daytona last year and said he also has been to the track in New Hampshire. Does he follow the sport?
    "Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans,'' he said. "But I have some friends who are NASCAR team owners.''

I don't follow your sport, but I'm friends with the people who own your sport. That makes me relatable, right? Guys??

I'm almost wondering at this point if he's possibly autistic. He knows these people have a connection to NASCAR and he knows he has a connection to NASCAR, but his brain is utterly incapable of grasping the difference in tone between them.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

I think that trend reversed yesterday. Half the polls I saw gave him a 10+ lead, and the other half said 3-4.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If Santorum pulls Michigan, the GOP will literally explode.

Literally.

"All that work on Citizens United... for nothing!"

• Options

I think that trend reversed yesterday. Half the polls I saw gave him a 10+ lead, and the other half said 3-4.

Ah, new polls came out.

I really really want Romney to lose Michigan. More than I wanted him to lose Florida. I just cannot stand that smug corporatomaton.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    "We need to look at the situation with gas prices today," Santorum said. "We went into a recession in 2008 because of gasoline prices. The bubble burst in housing because people couldn't pay their mortgages because they were looking at $4 a gallon gasoline."

538 has Romney's lead as potentially tenuous.
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/27/michigan-forecast-update-romneys-lead-looks-more-tenuous/

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    "We need to look at the situation with gas prices today," Santorum said. "We went into a recession in 2008 because of gasoline prices. The bubble burst in housing because people couldn't pay their mortgages because they were looking at $4 a gallon gasoline."

538 has Romney's lead as potentially tenuous.
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/27/michigan-forecast-update-romneys-lead-looks-more-tenuous/
    WE WENT INTO A RECESSION IN 2008 BECAUSE OF GASOLINE PRICES.

hatetodeath.png

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ...right, all those people would have been fine with their sub-prime mortgages if only they could have saved $20/month on gas!

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yep, it wasn't 8 years of mismanagement by the Bush administration and a Republican Congress, no sir.

Damn you gasoline.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Oh god if that becomes a thing...

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Yep, the immediate effect of the housing/fianancial bubble bursting was sub two dollar gas because the gas price caused the crisis.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Do these people not understand that gas prices tanked because no one in the developed world had any goddamn money for a two years and they're only returning to pre-recession levels now?!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Cervetus wrote: »
    Huh. Indeed it was. Clearly I, in fact, do not remember.

I remember! I thought Than was being ri
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just realized. Romney is actually Arnold Rimmer. He takes credit for everything good that happens, refuses to take any blame ever, seems to be running because he should want to be president rather than actually wanting anything to do with the presidency, has that same stupid smile when he's being insulted. It's uncanny.

The sad part is, Rimmer is a hologramatic projection of a dead guy yet still comes across as more human than Mittens.
    kildy wrote: »
    Before I go to bed, something generally meaningless for the campaign. But it's a lolRomney moment as he offhandedly reminds everyone he's so rich he has no idea what it's like looking at things from those seats everyone paid to sit in:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/racing/wires/02/26/3010.ap.car.nascar.daytona.romney.1st.ld.writethru.0797/index.html
    Romney was at Daytona last year and said he also has been to the track in New Hampshire. Does he follow the sport?
    "Not as closely as some of the most ardent fans,'' he said. "But I have some friends who are NASCAR team owners.''

I don't follow your sport, but I'm friends with the people who own your sport. That makes me relatable, right? Guys??

I'm almost wondering at this point if he's possibly autistic. He knows these people have a connection to NASCAR and he knows he has a connection to NASCAR, but his brain is utterly incapable of grasping the difference in tone between them.

Certainly possible. It's also possible he's simply been living to much of a bubble all his life that he fails to make these connections because he has no understanding of their conditions. Nothing that can't be solved, but he's not going to want to do that any time soon.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He's been saying this for months. It's been really dumb for months.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Do these people not understand that gas prices tanked because no one in the developed world had any goddamn money for a two years and they're only returning to pre-recession levels now?!

There are two explanations. Either he's lying or never understood what occurred. Neither would surprise me.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    We're still close enough to 2008 for people (in general) to remember that it was the banks and the mortgage crisis, right? So if a candidate were to try to make a concerted effort to claim it was something else they would look dumb, right? Please be too soon for revisionism.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

There are two explanations. Either he's lying or never understood what occurred. Neither would surprise me.

There's a fantastic Simpsons clip for this, but I can't find it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/02/27/mitt-romney-time-traveler/
    It appears that Mitt Romney might be capable of traveling in time. Last week, Romney gave a speech in Michigan that this cynical politics watcher actually found rather moving. In it, Romney recalled as a child attending the Golden Jubilee, an event that celebrated the 50th year of the automobile. Romney’s father was the Grandmaster of Ceremonies.

As it turns out, though, it didn’t happen. Mitch Potter reports that the Golden Jubilee took place on June 1, 1946, which is about 9 months before Mitt Romney was born.
    Here’s the kicker though – I’m willing to bet quite a bit that Romney wasn’t lying about this story at all.

No, I’m not suggesting that Mitt Romney can travel through time. However, it’s quite possible that Romney not only believes that he attended the event, he may well actually have memories of the event. This is because people, especially children, are perfectly capable of forming false memories. This can even happen in the lab. Experimenters have convinced people that they’ve done a number of things that they didn’t do, even including rides on hot air balloons or trips to the hospital. Not only will the subjects think they’ve done those things, they’ll actually have vivid memories of the events.

Even more chilling, there are a large number of cases in which someone will, under the pressure of a police interrogation, actually confess to a crime they didn’t commit. Depending on the stresses of the situation, many of those who falsely confess not only come to believe they’re guilty, but also actually have vivid memories of committing the crime.

So while it’s unlikely that Mitt Romney has traveled back in time to witness the Golden Jubilee with his own eyes, when he tells the stories of the memories, it’s quite likely that he isn’t lying. Indeed, he may remember the events quite vividly – even though he wasn’t there.

If he becomes President, I hope he takes this lesson to heart when he’s reviewing pardons. Because when he sees the request of someone who confessed to a crime now claiming innocence, Romney can think back to this issue and realize that the confession might well have been a false memory. Just like Romney’s own memories of the Golden Jubilee.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1136834--mitt-romney-couldn-t-have-remembered-detroit-milestone-he-wasn-t-born
    Either way, Romney’s memory lapse appears not to have registered with the U.S. political press, which hailed his nostalgic storytelling.

ABC News online described how the Tea Party audience melted as Romney found his emotional groove, “nodding approvingly, even wiping away tears.”

Romney is so goddamn terrible at this.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    We're still close enough to 2008 for people (in general) to remember that it was the banks and the mortgage crisis, right? So if a candidate were to try to make a concerted effort to claim it was something else they would look dumb, right? Please be too soon for revisionism.

Are you kidding? We've already revised everything after July of 2009. Did you know that 2001-2008 was a golden age for America? Free internet abounded, healthcare was cheap, insurance companies were honorable, and oil flowed like the venomous blood of terrorists.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Sadly, in the digital age revisionism can begin immediately after the event in question. Plus, gas prices are an easy, tangible scapegoat, compared to wading the through the complex causes of the mortgage bubble and eventual debt crisis when the bubble imploded. I mean, Rick's chasing the same people who when told over and over again how more oil drilling in the US would do almost nothing to the price at pump, still chant "Drill Baby Drill" like it's a bible verse.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I would've liked that Forbes article better if it suggested Romney had those memories implanted by the Jedi Council or some shit. Bringing up something like a child forming false memories and that shit taking root in the psyche... that's way, way, WAY above the level of most people's thinking, let alone belief, and injecting it into politics is more or less like setting up a gigantic bomb of a trap.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Romney has put the Tennis Ball of Stupid back on Santorum's side of the court. How will Santorum respond?

"C02 is a pollutant? Tell that to the plants."

OVERHAND SMASH

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    These seem topical:
    tumblr_lzxb8le8QU1qzhkvho1_500.jpg

tumblr_lzxb8le8QU1qzhkvh

tumblr_lzxb8le8QU1qzhkvh

The only drawback is that they're not sourced.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Romney has put the Tennis Ball of Stupid back on Santorum's side of the court. How will Santorum respond?

OVERHAND SMASH

Oh for fuck's sake, that fact that this will no doubt be a convincing argument to some people is depressing.

• Options

OVERHAND SMASH

Thank god there is no such thing as too much of something.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

OVERHAND SMASH

Oh for fuck's sake, that fact that this will no doubt be a convincing argument to some people is depressing.

Plants are not people... right?

• Options

OVERHAND SMASH

Best retort?

"Hamburger is people food, but if I bury you in it you will die."

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

OVERHAND SMASH

Best retort?

Or just... water.

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

OVERHAND SMASH

What is up with that picture?

imagesizer?file=steve-benen638990B3-DD81-A1A9-8313-CDA135236079.jpg&width=380

zerg rush on
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

OVERHAND SMASH

Best retort?

Or just... water.

Water works too. Hamburger was just what popped into my head first cause that was what I had for dinner. Any food really, except coconut. Because coconut is gross.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Plants can manage pretty great increases in CO2 before getting unhappy. Strong, fast changes in humidity, temperature, soil conditions, seasons, insect population size and other circumstances, not so much.

Absalon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    These seem topical:
    tumblr_lzxb8le8QU1qzhkvho1_500.jpg

tumblr_lzxb8le8QU1qzhkvh

tumblr_lzxb8le8QU1qzhkvh

The only drawback is that they're not sourced.

According to that first one they're from the Energy Information Administration.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    zerg rush wrote: »

OVERHAND SMASH

What is up with that picture?

imagesizer?file=steve-benen638990B3-DD81-A1A9-8313-CDA135236079.jpg&width=380

The Santorum campaign is so ill prepared that they don't have time to send in an advance team with some poles that lights could be placed on. So all lighting must come up from underneath like a scary camp fire story.

This is at least his 2nd speech i've seen lit like this.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Unfortunately, for people who desperately want to believe that a person, party, or belief is always right, it is never too soon for revisionism.

This is kind of how the Tea Party got started. An astute observer might notice that they were making claims about Obama and his policies he had enacted before he had even been sworn in yet.

Archonex on
This discussion has been closed.