As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    As I said to someone over IM:

We currently have Avengers, New Avengers, Assemble coming, Academy, and Secret.

On the x-side, they'll trim legacy, Hope is already gone.

So it'll be X-Men (Avengers), WaX (New Avengers), Uncanny (Assemble), X-Force (Secret), and New Mutants, X-Factor. My guess is Bendis will get X-Men and a solo book. WaX will probably stay under Aaron, but if anyone's moving it's Gischler (gone) or Gillen (over to the Avengers side).

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Bendis could probably do a pretty decent X-club too.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bendis is perfect for the X-Men

dude writes great team relationships and drama and banter and that is like 50-60% of what the X-Men are about

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

dude writes great team relationships and drama and banter and that is like 50-60% of what the X-Men are about

See I agree with you. But!

UXM right now has a real getting out there and getting shit done vibe to it. It's not about the Extinction Team sitting on their asses and chatting about stuff, it's about serious, high-powered superheroes doing serious, high-powered stuff. I mean look at that team, who on there even does banter? Namor and Hope are the only ones, which is cool and breaks things up a bit, but apart from that the book is about serious shit and I like that. When the other dudes make jokes, they are subtle little things, which is not really Bendis.

So while I think putting him on the Adjectiveless X-Men would be a good idea, if UXM is keeping the same vibe, I don't think that would suit Bendis. If it isn't, then it isn't, though I do feel that would be a shame, since UXM is really pretty cool right now.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I just realized something with Marvel math:

X-Men Legacy is 262 issues, X-Men is on 25. Add them up, and by the time AvX ends, you would get close to 300. That would be a good time to change Legacy back to X-Men, cancel Gischler's book, and put Bendis there.

edit: that is unless this whole thing Flashpoint's the Marvel Universe.

TexiKen on
    Yeah I don't see any reason for them to rock the boat with UXM

X-Men has been floundering for ages now. Putting Bendis on it would make it a book worth buying again while UXM can keep doing its thing.

CYpGAPn.png
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just realized something with Marvel math:

X-Men Legacy is 262 issues, X-Men is on 25. Add them up, and by the time AvX ends, you would get close to 300. That would be a good time to change Legacy back to X-Men, cancel Gischler's book, and put Bendis there.

edit: that is unless this whole thing Flashpoint's the Marvel Universe.

I massively hope not, but also doubt it heavily

Yeah I don't see any reason for them to rock the boat with UXM

X-Men has been floundering for ages now. Putting Bendis on it would make it a book worth buying again while UXM can keep doing its thing.

Yeah, putting Bendis on X-Men would be a good choice, because then they could pull that up rather than just replacing someone on a book that is already doing pretty well.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I could take or leave Legacy, X-Men and even Uncanny to a degree, as it is right now.

I just don't want them to mess with WatXM at all. Haven't read X-Force yet.

But the big problem here is that Bendis writes a great Logan. How can he be on an X-book without him?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I could take or leave Legacy, X-Men and even Uncanny to a degree, as it is right now.

I just don't want them to mess with WatXM at all. Haven't read X-Force yet.

But the big problem here is that Bendis writes a great Logan. How can he be on an X-book without him?

He tweeted that Wolverine and the X-Men is his current favorite Mainstream marvel book, but I wouldn't read too much into that.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I don't think Aaron will be leaving anytime soon, but it would still be a huge damn bummer to see WatXM stop being the lead book and fall into a second banana role behind the Uncanny Bendis-Men.

Gillen I think is, unfortunately, a little more X-pendable (I'm so, so sorry). He has been on X-Men for awhile already, especially with Uncanny which has more or less been a cursed book for around 10 years now. His stories right now seem to be leading explicitly to AvX, but not anything beyond it. He has said in interviews that his only real goal has been to write a massive prologue to the event, and to cram as much as he could in before it happened.

However, he is the Gillen, so I would imagine he'll get a neat new project after AvX since he's finally found some fanfare with JitM and Uncanny.

but

WatXM isn't intended to be the flagship book, UXM is

and regardless why does it matter

it isn't like the story would stop being good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Unfortunately it's everything else that suffers. His wheelhouse is street level solo super-hero noirish titles.

but

WatXM isn't intended to be the flagship book, UXM is

and regardless why does it matter

it isn't like the story would stop being good

They're both intended to be flagships, but there are a bunch of factors that make WatXM feel more legitimate than Uncanny in controlling the overall flow.

First of all is that Jason Aaron wrote Schism to begin with, is a Marvel Architect, and plotted the bulk of AvX with Bendis.

Second of all is that WatXM is playing the long game, introducing new characters and setting a lot of pieces in place for later. UXM, meanwhile, feels like it is rocking against a countdown clock to oblivion. The stories have had pretty cleanly defined endings that leave few loose ends, there's a little bit of world building happening, but not a ton, the book is carrying a lot of status quos and history from its past incarnation, etc. etc.

It feels like Uncanny is reacting to the rest of the Marvel-U, waiting for events that have been set in motion, while WatXM is in charge of its own future.

But either way, that is how I want WatXM to stay. I don't want Bendis to show up and take on a new flagship X-Book with Wolverine, and then prevent him from being Headmaster at the Jean Grey School or limit him from having whacky space adventures and stuff like that.

The title of the book is Wolverine and the X-Men

I am pretty goddamn sure he isn't going anywhere

CYpGAPn.png
    The title of the book is Wolverine and the X-Men

I am pretty goddamn sure he isn't going anywhere

Depends whether Bendis or Marvel consider it deserves to be in the new status quo. They'll cancel it if it doesn't fit the new tone, like X-men: The Hidden Years. Or Bendis could simply take over the writing duties.

Hadji:

Aaron is a architect, not the architect. That's Bendis.

There is no the architect

the whole point of AvX is that all 5 of them working together. 5 fingers make a fist.

Bendis is important, yes, but he isn't the head honcho or anything.

and I really, really, really doubt they would cancel a series that isn't even 10 issues in yet and is selling really well and generating tons of positive critical buzz.

You are all being silly.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2012
    There is no the architect

the whole point of AvX is that all 5 of them working together. 5 fingers make a fist.

Bendis is important, yes, but he isn't the head honcho or anything.

and I really, really, really doubt they would cancel a series that isn't even 10 issues in yet and is selling really well and generating tons of positive critical buzz.

You are all being silly.

Bendis is Marvel's top talent. Whatever he wants, he gets. Sure there are bigger fish in management but among the talent pool he's unmatched with political power within the company. Not to mention he's close friends with Quesada. Why do you think he's been able to do what he wants with the Avengers or get amazing support within Marvel to boost it into a flagship franchise rivaling the X-men?

If he really wants to take over WaTX or the title interferes with his plans for the X-men franchise I don't doubt his superiors will take his position over Aaron's.

Harry Dresden on
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Let's say he could do that

Why would he?

He's not an idiot

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Yeah also Bendis is not an asshole but actually a pretty nice guy from what I hear, and the two of them seem to get on pretty well from all the interviews they are doing together before AvX

he would not just boot Aaron out of his current position on WatXM

Aaron will be staying on that for a long while, I think

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Also I'm pretty sure X-Men: The Hidden Years was canceled due to shitty sales and the writer being a dick

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It was cancelled because it didn't fit with how the X-Men line was going to be in the Casey and Morrison era, the book sold 30-35k consistently at the end. And it was a good fun book, even with Tom Palmer's rough inks.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    A Jason Aaron WatXM omnibus would be a pretty great thing to have on your shelf along with Hickman's FF and Waid's Daredevil as the stellar runs from Marvel of this era

you know I keep thinking of good runs to add to that: ASM, UXF, what else?

huntresssig.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Remender's Uncanny X-Force, certainly

Possibly Parker's T-Bolts? That used to be Marvel's best book, though the latest arc has been too long, I feel.

I'd say Liss' fantastic Black Panther stuff, but it didn't go on long enough

Solar on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Thunderbolts is cool but I'm not sure it's legendarily cool right now - but it is majorly picking up steam again.

huntresssig.jpg
    Hmm well probably just Waid's DD, Hickman's FF, Remender's UXF and Aaron's WatXM then

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    A Jason Aaron WatXM omnibus would be a pretty great thing to have on your shelf along with Hickman's FF and Waid's Daredevil as the stellar runs from Marvel of this era

you know I keep thinking of good runs to add to that: ASM, UXF, what else?

Rucka's Punisher and Gillen's Journey Into Mystery, imho

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What do people think of X-Factor? Seems like that series has been going on under the radar for a long time now.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-Force is just about at that point for an omnibus.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Uncanny X-Force is just about at that point for an omnibus.

I'd do everything up to #19, since that is basically all one big mega-arc

Also I have never read X-Factor Centi! Seems like it has always slipped under the radar as you say, since it keeps going strong. Does anyone here read it? I think maybe @Munch does.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I looked it up on Amazon recently, and it seems kind of amazing that Peter David has been writing one book consistently for seven years and nobody talks about it.

Yeah it is pretty weird

I guess it just has one of those quiet yet loyal fanbases?

edited February 2012
    Turambar wrote: »

Why would he?

He's not an idiot

For keep the X-books tone similar or covers ground a new certain book will have. Books get cancelled when they don't fit or are replaced when lines get revamps*. It doesn't matter how much they sell or how good they are if a big enough talent or editorial wants it done it will happen. For example, if Geoff Johns' woke up tomorrow and wanted to replace Red Lanterns or New Guardians with something new they'd be cancelled at the first opportunity.

* DC's Crisis events being a good example

Harry Dresden on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    X-Factor is consistently great. It's one of those books that has been so good for so long that I forget about it sometimes.

I looked it up on Amazon recently, and it seems kind of amazing that Peter David has been writing one book consistently for seven years and nobody talks about it.
    Well that is kind of David's deal

he tackles really long runs on books like nobody's business. Hulk, his first run on X-Factor, Spider-Man 2099, Young Justice.

I am sure X-Factor has been great but he doesn't really do standout amazing books that catch everyone's attention like Hickman or something he just does a slow burn of constant quality.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2012
    Furu wrote: »
    Also I'm pretty sure X-Men: The Hidden Years was canceled due to shitty sales and the writer being a dick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-men:_The_Hidden_Years
    According to Byrne, the series "was clearly finite, since [Giant Sized X-men#1] was out there as an "end point" for my series, but the way I had worked it out, I could have easily done 100 issues or more before I had the team off before I had to send the team off to Krakatoa." However, as part of the retooling of the X-men line, X-men: The Hidden Years was cancelled, prematurely ending its run with issue #22.

Harry Dresden on

Why would he?

He's not an idiot

For keep the X-books tone similar or covers ground a new certain book will have. Books get cancelled when they don't fit or are replaced when lines get revamps*. It doesn't matter how much they sell or how good they are if a big enough talent or editorial wants it done it will happen. For example, if Geoff Johns' woke up tomorrow and wanted to replace Red Lanterns or New Guardians with something new they'd be cancelled at the first opportunity.

Yeah but again, Bendis is not an asshole, he and Aaron seem to get along and work together well, I am sure that he wouldn't want to muscle in like that and take over his buddy's book which has got a lot of critical attention, Aaron has some big plans for it and so on. Especially in this industry, where being a nice guy that people like to work with is a good reputation to have.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What do people think of X-Factor? Seems like that series has been going on under the radar for a long time now.

It's been pretty great ever since it relaunched with #200. Like others have remarked, Peter David doesn't really get involved in the huge, explosive events that will draw a lot of attention, but he's constantly delivering quality work, month in and month out. The real problem with it, I think, is that you need to read the entire 75+ issue run, to really get the full effect of PAD's meticulous plotting and characterization. While I think each arc works as its own self-contained narrative, the real strength of David's writing is his ability to create a world that you can immerse yourself in, over a long period of time.

If you're curious though, the next issue kicks off the new direction, that sees Havok and Polaris assuming control of X-Factor, following Madrox's departure.

Munch on
    Solar wrote: »

Why would he?

He's not an idiot

Yeah but again, Bendis is not an asshole, he and Aaron seem to get along and work together well, I am sure that he wouldn't want to muscle in like that and take over his buddy's book which has got a lot of critical attention, Aaron has some big plans for it and so on. Especially in this industry, where being a nice guy that people like to work with is a good reputation to have.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, just a possibility. That said, X-men is much closer to his wheelhouse than Avengers was. Hopefully he'll do well there.

Munch wrote: »

It's been pretty great ever since it relaunched with #200. Like others have remarked, Peter David doesn't really get involved in the huge, explosive events that will draw a lot of attention, but he's constantly delivering quality work, month in and month out. The real problem with it, I think, is that you need to read the entire 75+ issue run, to really get the full effect of PAD's meticulous plotting and characterization. While I think each arc works as its own self-contained narrative, the real strength of David's writing is his ability to create a world that you can immerse yourself in, over a long period of time.

If you're curious though, the next issue kicks off the new direction, that sees Havok and Polaris assuming control of X-Factor, following Madrox's departure.

I might check that out, I like Havok and Polaris