As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    We found out about it pretty late so I haven't been able to call yet. We can't put in estimates yet either.

If this doesn't work my mom's advice is to get married, "Then you get to claim as independant". Oy vey, that would be something.

I love your mom's advice

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I think she meant it more in jest than anything. I wouldn't mind, I'd do whatever got me more aid.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Filing my FAFSA as an independent student seemed like a lot less hassle than what my sisters went through. (They were my parents' dependents all through college.) Probably not worth getting married for, though.

Also, starting out at a CC made things so much simpler for me, but I'm not in a state with massive class shortages.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    CC is immensely cheaper than university anyway. I wish more people would start off going to CC, and then transfer to universities later on. That way even if universities get as expensive as they want, it's probably still more affordable in the long term.

Well, I wouldn't prescribe it as a fix all solution. It worked fairly well for me, but I do know that I would be much farther along in my studies had I been at University for a full four years instead of the two and a half I've spent so far.

tonksigblack.png
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    My semester in Honours in Behavioural Science started yesterday.
    Hoo boy. I am sufficiently terrified after one class.

Even the idea now of interning as a provisional Psychologist afterwards is super scary.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
    Morblitz wrote: »
    My semester in Honours in Behavioural Science started yesterday.
    Hoo boy. I am sufficiently terrified after one class.

Just classically condition your teacher to give you an A.

tonksigblack.png
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    We found out about it pretty late so I haven't been able to call yet. We can't put in estimates yet either.

If this doesn't work my mom's advice is to get married, "Then you get to claim as independant". Oy vey, that would be something.

I love your mom's advice

She almost did once marry for payment so it doesn't seem too far-fetched to her and I honestly would not care too much if I had to do it. I would just find it funny.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    95% on test, 100% on paper.
    Feelin good
    Actually feeling really tired, got up at 5 for clinical today

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    J'ai pris un examen aujourd'hui. Je crois que j'ai bien fait.

tonksigblack.png
    Oghulk wrote: »

I love your mom's advice

She almost did once marry for payment so it doesn't seem too far-fetched to her and I honestly would not care too much if I had to do it. I would just find it funny.

I feel like her advice isn't a joke

Callius wrote: »
    J'ai pris un examen aujourd'hui. Je crois que j'ai bien fait.

SPEAK AMERICAN!

So for our one act play, the two leads have to dress in drag

Such a fun play

• VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty scared for life after community college. Getting an associates degree seems useless even knowing my field requires only experience and no degree. Straight up moving to LA sounds crazy but that might be what I end up doing.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    VoproSTEIN wrote:
    I'm pretty scared for life after community college. Getting an associates degree seems useless even knowing my field requires only experience and no degree. Straight up moving to LA sounds crazy but that might be what I end up doing.

I am fairly confident in saying I would be in a worse place entering the entertainment industry without my education.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

As much as I hate to say it, yeah... an AA don't mean shit out in the real world.

tonksigblack.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm hearing the opposite. As the economy is slowly righting itself, a lot of people who are overqualified are jumping ship for what they perceive as better opportunities. As a result, businesses are starting to get to where they're less interested in who's the most qualified, and more interested in who's the most value (in terms of [experience + education] / salary demands), so AAs are getting looked at more.

Of course, this is a Network Technology advisor telling me this, so.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    AAs don't necessarily mean more experience than BAs.

What I'm worried about with mine is most of my classes are taught by really old men with backgrounds in Navy broadcasting and commercials, who've been retired for 20+ years. So far I've only had 2 teachers who are still currently in the "industry" in any meaningful way. Next semester I get to have Pablo Veliz as my teacher, so that's gonna be cool. But it still sucks that one of the reasons I looked forward to college, like having current and relevant teachers, was largely taken away from me.

The only thing my CC has going for it is its equipment and the special training I get with it as a student aid for the Film department, and that we need an internship to graduate.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The best thing about my film production education is I totally know what Pete Hornberger on 30 Rock does, and I want to do that as a career so badly.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    hey @Baidol would this molecule be called
    ethylpentylether

http://i.imgur.com/rD7kX.jpg

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    That is one valid name, although probably not the IUPAC one.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited February 2012
    Baidol wrote:
    That is one valid name, although probably not the IUPAC one.

okay cool

we've been using lots of nonsystematic names in this course so i just wanted to make sure it was understandable

thanks!

unintentional on
    hooray i think i'm done my lab report

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I am not looking forward to getting critiqued tomorrow. Somehow this semesters anonymous critique is more stressful than my public ones last year. It helps that I'm more invested into this story than I usually am, but I still feel like I'm looking at an early draft. Mainly cause I am, but still. I've just gotten remarkably little done today, but I think I'm putting things off cause I need to start editing once I get the next page or so done.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    good news - don't have to go to a meeting this morning so i can focus on finishing up my homework

bad news - woke up two hours earlier than normal to do my homework and make it to the meeting on time, when i could have slept til my normal time and done my homework.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    oh man i am so spacing out on grading this homework

i feel sorry for these kids if they need any helpful notes.

or probably even fair grades.

zkHcp.jpg
    85% on my ethics midterm
    Eh

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    85% on my ethics midterm
    Eh

Shoulda cheated.

zkHcp.jpg
    Kadith wrote:
    85% on my ethics midterm
    Eh

Shoulda cheated.

Yeah probably

I have to write a medium length essay on a medical ethical issue now, thinking about picking the ownership of genomes

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    sue all individuals who share your exact genes

collect 2 million from twin brother, do not pass go

exam.gif

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I still think I am clinically insane for having a pipe-dream of double-majoring Sociology and Art. It'll be the most fun/stressful pipe dream I've had yet!

Chris don't double major at a CC. It is a complete waste of time. get one AA and then double at Uni

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    CC is immensely cheaper than university anyway. I wish more people would start off going to CC, and then transfer to universities later on. That way even if universities get as expensive as they want, it's probably still more affordable in the long term.

$140/credit-hour vs. $400/credit-hour, yeah, I'm happy to be taking the first half at a CC.
    Callius wrote: »
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

As much as I hate to say it, yeah... an AA don't mean shit out in the real world.

but... but... an AS is still in high demand, right?
    I get 62 hours in this 2+2 program I'm in, and it's 64 to earn the AS degree... figured I might as well

• GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Got an A on my Modern Drama Since WWII paper. Hollaaaaaaaa

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »

I'm suing that 2 million right back

jerk

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »

I'm suing that 2 million right back

jerk

Ace Attorney: Twin Edition

b1ehrMM.gif
    Damn it grandmother stop talking to my high school peer's parents about me just because they do some fucking job for us. Jesus christ

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Florida portion of Bar Exam: Done

One more day of this horseshit

Florida portion of Bar Exam: Done

One more day of this horseshit

yay

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    It feels like a flea man is fucking my skull while riding a bone dragon

Interesting, so today on the grade reports my theory of knowledge class had a 99 for this last grading period, even though the internet site for grades shows I have a 93

very...interesting...

This discussion has been closed.