As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Twenty thousand posts under the SE(++), or, Emergent group dynamics in online communities

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    look if someone wants to waste their time collecting information about me they are welcome to

no thanks. :)

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

I feel like internet humor has only gotten worse over the years. The lowest common denominator has shifted from stoned college nerds and neckbeards to high school freshmen, and it's showing. Jokes have always existed, of course, but the meme has suffered as a construct. I remember back when most good memes (or fads, if you were the YTMND type) had a degree of depth to them and generally fixed context and meaning - justifying the use of the term meme in the original sense, as a genetic unit of culture. They were, in that way, almost an oral history of any given website's culture. This was especially valuable in the days before wikis or vast websites like tumblr, reddit, and quickmeme. This format of meme still exists, but it's just rarer and less popular because it is inherently inaccessible without a degree of familiarity. That's why the old 4chan rule of Lurk More was such a big force in that site's culture. SE++ still has a few really good ones, like Ain't no cure for baby dick, Langly thumbs up, and Sendkeithamessage.jpg. The last few years have shifted the popular definition of meme to a more vulgar term for serial image macros and rageface comics. Maybe it has something to do with the recent merging of internet culture into real life, which started up a couple years ago and has only gotten more intense as the average internet user and the average person come closer and closer to being the same thing. I guess web 2.0 was more successful than I anticipated.
    But this is all hung over rambling at 1the morning from a phone keyboard so don't mind me.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I feel like internet humor has only gotten worse over the years. The lowest common denominator has shifted from stoned college nerds and neckbeards to high school freshmen, and it's showing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
    SE++ still has a few really good ones, like Ain't no cure for baby dick, Langly thumbs up, and Sendkeithamessage.jpg

Those are all pretty recent and the funny one isn't SE++ specific (ain't no cure for baby dick is a 3 Word Phrase thing)

Older SE++ memes would be like... even Megatokyo, Nads is missing, Cronyx, etc

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I feel like internet humor has only gotten worse over the years. The lowest common denominator has shifted from stoned college nerds and neckbeards to high school freshmen, and it's showing. Jokes have always existed, of course, but the meme has suffered as a construct. I remember back when most good memes (or fads, if you were the YTMND type) had a degree of depth to them and generally fixed context and meaning - justifying the use of the term meme in the original sense, as a genetic unit of culture. They were, in that way, almost an oral history of any given website's culture. This was especially valuable in the days before wikis or vast websites like tumblr, reddit, and quickmeme. This format of meme still exists, but it's just rarer and less popular because it is inherently inaccessible without a degree of familiarity. That's why the old 4chan rule of Lurk More was such a big force in that site's culture. SE++ still has a few really good ones, like Ain't no cure for baby dick, Langly thumbs up, and Sendkeithamessage.jpg. The last few years have shifted the popular definition of meme to a more vulgar term for serial image macros and rageface comics. Maybe it has something to do with the recent merging of internet culture into real life, which started up a couple years ago and has only gotten more intense as the average internet user and the average person come closer and closer to being the same thing. I guess web 2.0 was more successful than I anticipated.
    But this is all hung over rambling at 1the morning from a phone keyboard so don't mind me.

Meme hipster right here.

But seriously, I feel almost exactly the same way. Can't really comment about the SE++ stuff, because I haven't lurked around here for long enough, but you're bang on about the rest.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The first meme I can really remember is probably All Your Base.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    leekspin

• Options
    oh no wait, that japanese yatta whatever video

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Same here.

I was playing some League recently and someone was going "move, ziggs" so I said "FOR GREAT JUSTICE."

Nobody got it and I was sad.

broken image link
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    I feel like internet humor has only gotten worse over the years. The lowest common denominator has shifted from stoned college nerds and neckbeards to high school freshmen, and it's showing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
    SE++ still has a few really good ones, like Ain't no cure for baby dick, Langly thumbs up, and Sendkeithamessage.jpg

Those are all pretty recent and the funny one isn't SE++ specific (ain't no cure for baby dick is a 3 Word Phrase thing)

Older SE++ memes would be like... even Megatokyo, Nads is missing, Cronyx, etc

Business as usual...

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I just retired my Leet liek Jeff K mousepad.

Sad day.

(it was really dirty)

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Everyone on the internet is terrible

What are you talking abo

http://kotaku.com/5888677/how-i-achieved-greatness-on-a-sonic-the-hedgehog+themed-bed

emot-barf-1.gif

oh hey this continues kotaku's trend of consistently contributing less than nothing

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Same here.

I was playing some League recently and someone was going "move, ziggs" so I said "FOR GREAT JUSTICE."

Nobody got it and I was sad.

Kids these days

• Options
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I just retired my Leet liek Jeff K mousepad.

Sad day.

(it was really dirty)

I need a new mousepad. I have the huge heavy duty alienware mousepad that came with my tower but the texture on parts of it has been worn down to a polished finish and my mouse doesn't pick up as well on those spots.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I got an Icemat many years ago, and it's still going strong.

I dread the day it gets dropped and breaks.

broken image link
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I feel like internet humor has gotten worse because everybody is dumb

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Internet humour is no worse than it used to be

You are looking at the past through a rose tinted monitor if you think it is

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for a page to load just so we could get to the punch line

and we liked it

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i remember when you're the man now dog was just one page and not a category

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    ___ ate my balls

Yes, this is the first one I can think of.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Newer ones like the deus ex ones (i.e. Yeah, Rip; I never asked for this; etc) I still find inherently funny

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    heh

"good meme"

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Arrow in the knee for best/worst meme of 2011

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    man internet humor is the same as it ever was

surely you guys remember the outrageously large number of stupid osama bin laden flash videos that were like 10% of the internet from 2002-2005

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Internet humour is no worse than it used to be

You are looking at the past through a rose tinted monitor if you think it is

we have a winna!

seriously, the memes were just as dumb a decade ago
    it's just that now you've heard and seen them all so many times that you understand how dumb they are
    and your grandmother who just figured out how to use AOL is just discovering dancing baby for the first time and that's really the only reason she still finds it funny
    not because she's dumber than you
    not because she's so old
    but because this shit is still new to her

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    oh man dancing baby

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I know, right?
    My ex sister-in-law ate that shit up
    fortunately she doesn't have my email anymore or I'd probably still get forwards of stuff she finds hilarious

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    i miss geocities/angelfire

• Options
    oh my god that thing still works?

wait wheres the shitty midi of 'i'm blue' by eiffel 65

• Options
  • Options
    theeere it is

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    LKbZo.gif

it's like a thanksgiving turkey

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Actually, that's the other thing that really bugs me: the use of the word meme to describe shitty image macros and one-liners.
    The original definition, as per Richard Dawkins (though my favorite discussion on meme theory is still Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, which was actually written a couple years before the coining of the term), is one of the coolest words ever because it covers the idea that cultural ideas are transferred and evolved, which covers language and religion, along with things like Bart Simpson t-shirts and Kilroy Was Here, not to mention the cornucopia of shit that is the internet. The more vulgar definition didn't really catch on outside of 4chan until really only about two or three years ago.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Actually, that's the other thing that really bugs me: the use of the word meme to describe shitty image macros and one-liners.
    The original definition, as per Richard Dawkins (though my favorite discussion on meme theory is still Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash, which was actually written a couple years before the coining of the term), is one of the coolest words ever because it covers the idea that cultural ideas are transferred and evolved, which covers language and religion, along with things like Bart Simpson t-shirts and Kilroy Was Here, not to mention the cornucopia of shit that is the internet. The more vulgar definition didn't really catch on outside of 4chan until really only about two or three years ago.

the term meme was used all over the place to describe stupid cat macros way before 2009/2010

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Anyone who thinks All Your Base is somehow cleverer than memes today is craaaazy

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Rolo wrote: »

the term meme was used all over the place to describe stupid cat macros way before 2009/2010

Meh, my general point remains. Internet history kinda blurs together for me, to the point where I actually forgot lolcats were five fucking years ago already. And lolcats were (besides ORLY/YARLY) kinda the first phase of popular image macros to follow the current archetype of "take picture, plug shit in, profit" that everyone got in on and made their own versions of.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I think I saw the rage face meme on a tshirt at Hot Topic recently.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!