As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FILM] School Generation

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    Saying any movie is worse than GL is a tall order.

I enjoyed Green Lantern more than Thor.

Though a lot of that was probably expectations. I was really looking forward to Thor and was massively disappointed. On the other hand, I expected Green Lantern to be amazingly corny and dumb. When it only turned out to be slightly corny and dumb, I was pleasantly surprised.

But in terms of "objective" film quality, I'm willing to admit that GL was likely the worse of the two.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    I get writing up "Disappointed"-lists, but "utterly overrated". That just reeks of juvenile arrogance.

So.. please tell us where everybody's been wrong and "utterly overrated" a film.

The Descendants, for one.

It's a horrible, mean-spirited, shallow exercise in narcissism and entitlement that has the gall to think it's both clever and heartfelt. Despite being blandly shot and flatly written, it then won a bunch of awards because Sad George Clooney wets the pants of old people.

That's how "overrated" works, I think.

I'm reasonably sure that wet-pantsed old people aren't really this board's demographic (although I might of course be wrong), so I'm not quite sure whose critical assessment you're rallying against. The use of the word "overrated" just rubs me the wrong way in this thread, because it carries this sense of "I know better than the unwashed masses" and I don't really see the need for that here.

You might want to consider decreasing the sensitivity setting on your grumpometer.

Online machismo in a film nerd thread. That's cute.

ross is just "mad as hell" that drive got snubbed is all.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I thought both Thor and Green Hornet weren't bad. They weren't great, either, but I enjoyed the undercurrent of theatricality in Thor and the quirkyness of Green Hornet. Admittedly though, I've notably lower expectations when it comes to "big summer flicks" or just superhero stories in general. By the time the 20th underwhelming movie of its type rolls around, you start to question whether your expectations (as reasonable as they might be) are likely to ever be met and if you aren't just setting yourself up for disappointment.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I enjoyed the Green Hornet, actually. It was just so unrepentantly ridiculous.

Fencingsax on
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Thor and Captain America could've been shown as 1-2 minute recaps before Avengers and I don't feel like I would've missed anything. I didn't feel much of any connection with any of the characters on screen, and most of the time the writing seemed lazy.

• armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Just saw Contagion, kinda loved it actually. It was pretty great. I loved how it handled the whole pandemic thing so realistically.

Also, Jude Law must be the greatest actor ever. He's like some sort of cinematic chameleon; I never notice that it's him in a film until someone points it out to me.
    I think you meant to say Daniel Day Lewis or Gary Oldman. Not, "my head is shaped like a cross between stewie and a grey alien-Law".

I finally watched Stalker, which someone recommended a really long time ago to me in this thread. It was good and hmmm, good. I still think I like Solaris better (the original).

I also saw the Lady in Black. Movie wasn't too bad, but the set design, and locations were fucking GREAT.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Thor and Captain America could've been shown as 1-2 minute recaps before Avengers and I don't feel like I would've missed anything. I didn't feel much of any connection with any of the characters on screen, and most of the time the writing seemed lazy.

You just described every Marvel movie ever

t5qfc9.jpg
    Zzulu wrote: »

You just described every Marvel movie ever

Yeah, pretty much. I thought Iron Man was decent and justified its running time.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

The Oscar noms, in total, pissed me off so much that I skipped the show for the first time in probably 15 years.

A literal farce. But at least the best nominated movie still won.

Oh, and is it me or, outside of biographical films, can black actors only be nominated for awards for roles in which they are chiefly required to be black? It's starting to look extremely racist to continually reward black actors only when they're reminding us of the black experience. "Black civil rights struggle" is starting to form its own pandering niche at the Academy, on the shelf right next to "Prestige Period Epic," "Holocaust/WWII/Nazi film," and "Biography of recently deceased pop icon."

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

The Oscar noms, in total, pissed me off so much that I skipped the show for the first time in probably 15 years.

Oh, and is it me or, outside of biographical films, can black actors only be nominated for awards for roles in which they are chiefly required to be black? It's starting to look extremely racist to continually reward black actors only when they're reminding us of the black experience. "Black civil rights struggle" is starting to form its own pandering niche at the Academy, on the shelf right next to "Prestige Period Epic," "Holocaust/WWII/Nazi film," and "Biography of recently deceased pop icon."

I dunno, man. You might be right, and you might be wrong. I guess it depends on your opinion of Denzel Washington's performance in Training Day. I will agree it's time for black actors to be getting more unconventional roles in majorly recognized movies.

I will agree it's time for black actors to be getting more unconventional roles in majorly recognized movies.

Well, "unconventional" in the context of the kinds of roles they usually get, I hope you mean.

Meaning that they need to get more "conventional" roles that non-black actors seem to get routinely. I'd look to Will Smith, Don Cheadle, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Idris Elba to help move this trend forward.

I'd love to see an Idris Elba Green Lantern movie.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I will agree it's time for black actors to be getting more unconventional roles in majorly recognized movies.

Well, "unconventional" in the context of the kinds of roles they usually get, I hope you mean.

Meaning that they need to get more "conventional" roles that non-black actors seem to get routinely. I'd look to Will Smith, Don Cheadle, Chiwetel Ejiofor, and Idris Elba to help move this trend forward.

I was really excited about those rumors of Idris Elba as a new James Bond; not that Craig isn't great, but Elba would have been fantastic as well.

(rumors turned out to be false)

I think the entire industry is very skewed toward telling stories about white people. If you're gay, black, or hispanic then you get a gritty, realistic story about overcoming adversity, or a broad comedy that panders to the lowest stereotypes.

Yep.

Back when there were supposed rumblings of a Halo movie, I'd heard a rumor Denzel Washington would play the Master Chief.

I really would've wanted to see that movie.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Granted I've only played Halo 1 and 2 but does Master Chief even have a character? Or a face? He doesn't talk much either so they couldn't even give it the V for Vendetta treatment

At least we got the superior version of Fury in the marvel movies

t5qfc9.jpg
    Zzulu wrote: »

Indeed.

I think the entire industry is very skewed toward telling stories about white people. If you're gay, black, or hispanic then you get a gritty, realistic story about overcoming adversity, or a broad comedy that panders to the lowest stereotypes.

Well, even Marvel and DC have a paltry selection of minority characters out of the hundreds they have, and those select few still end up being somehow stereotyped into those same kind of roles.

Before the Ultimate Nick Fury, Marvel's most prominent black character was Luke Cage, a character charged with the immediate task of . . . . cleaning up his bad neighborhood.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular

I've long given up on the Oscars. Pretty much around the time where it became obvious even to me, that it's a popularity contest based not on craft, skill or anything like that. But purely on how good the Academy felt watching the film.

Sadly this goes double for most of the "tech" awards.

Well, even Marvel and DC have a paltry selection of minority characters out of the hundreds they have, and those select few still end up being somehow stereotyped into those same kind of roles.

Before the Ultimate Nick Fury, Marvel's most prominent black character was Luke Cage, a character charged with the immediate task of . . . . cleaning up his bad neighborhood.

It really is kind of striking at the lack of heroes with any kind of color other than white. I can remember idolizing Indiana Jones, Captain Kirk, Luke Skywalker, Superman, Spiderman as a kid, and still to this day. It's really sad that there aren't those kind of strong black men with those kinds of stories being told.

Sadly this goes double for most of the "tech" awards.

I don't know the breakdown on the tech awards, but I hope to god that the voters are actually in the industry themselves.

But like they say, with the Academy and its awards, you can usually replace "best" with "most." The Academy loves anything that bothers to be self-serious AND drawing a lot of attention to itself. It's how you end up with Rooney Mara getting a nomination for a performance that was basically a shitty haircut and vintage leather.

• Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Just saw Contagion, kinda loved it actually. It was pretty great. I loved how it handled the whole pandemic thing so realistically.

Also, Jude Law must be the greatest actor ever. He's like some sort of cinematic chameleon; I never notice that it's him in a film until someone points it out to me.
    I think you meant to say Daniel Day Lewis or Gary Oldman.

Well obviously guys like DDL or Oldman are legendary actors. I was just saying that Law is pretty great IMO because I never realize that it's him.

It really is kind of striking at the lack of heroes with any kind of color other than white. I can remember idolizing Indiana Jones, Captain Kirk, Luke Skywalker, Superman, Spiderman as a kid, and still to this day. It's really sad that there aren't those kind of strong black men with those kinds of stories being told.

Even the few Black heroes there have been in pop culture are largely defined by their race, and many were formed specifically as reactions to pop culture's all-White cast of characters. Characters like Shaft, and Foxy Brown weren't just heroes, they were Black heroes fighting for Black issues.

Again, Star Trek (and Star Wars!) shows us the way.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Marvel's most prominent Black character was probably either Storm or the Black Panther. It's only really Bendis who's bought Cage to the fore.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

They were getting better in the 90's and 2000's. Jaime Reyes is a success in other media. Cassandra Cain's Batgirl is a possible hit but she'd never get a chance when they don't give her a character rather then have Barbara or Katana (in the upcoming Batman series).

Black Panther was more well known then Luke Cage. Until recently Cage was an obscure character only a small faction of comic fans knew or cared about.

Harry Dresden on
    Zzulu wrote:
    Granted I've only played Halo 1 and 2 but does Master Chief even have a character? Or a face? He doesn't talk much either so they couldn't even give it the V for Vendetta treatment

Not to spend too much time on it, but... over the course of the Halo games Master Chief moved from being an enigmatic figure draped in legend only half-imagined, to some boring-ass Guy Named John. This was my original perception of the guy:
    I originally saw the Master Chief as a heavily augmented post-human cyborg who has already lived and fought for several human lifetimes. He can't take his armor off. He's the greatest asset and liability to human armies, and has artificially-induced amnesia to wipe his convictions when politically-convulted conflicts might cause him to take independent measures that do not Further The Cause. He's one of the last of his kind, as most have gone rogue and lead secession wars, became tyrants or champions of their own making, or have gone mad.

I imagined the Master Chief with a raisable visor and a helmet that can be surgically removed for short periods of time. He doesn't look old, but then again, he never has to eat. He's immeasurably strong and can self-heal. He's known more people that are now dead than most average living families can find in their scrapbooks. He could save humanity. He could also single-handedly blow the lid off the governments running earth. For now, he's on this giant artifical construct in deep space with a rag-tag group of soldiers who will die anonymously if he cannot bring them home.

I woulda watched it, anyway.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, 616 Nick Fury is an amazing character in the right hands.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:

Not to spend too much time on it, but... over the course of the Halo games Master Chief moved from being an enigmatic figure draped in legend only half-imagined, to some boring-ass Guy Named John. This was my original perception of the guy:
    I originally saw the Master Chief as a heavily augmented post-human cyborg who has already lived and fought for several human lifetimes. He can't take his armor off. He's the greatest asset and liability to human armies, and has artificially-induced amnesia to wipe his convictions when politically-convulted conflicts might cause him to take independent measures that do not Further The Cause. He's one of the last of his kind, as most have gone rogue and lead secession wars, became tyrants or champions of their own making, or have gone mad.

I imagined the Master Chief with a raisable visor and a helmet that can be surgically removed for short periods of time. He doesn't look old, but then again, he never has to eat. He's immeasurably strong and can self-heal. He's known more people that are now dead than most average living families can find in their scrapbooks. He could save humanity. He could also single-handedly blow the lid off the governments running earth. For now, he's on this giant artifical construct in deep space with a rag-tag group of soldiers who will die anonymously if he cannot bring them home.

Dude, the newer games didn't do that. The first Halo's booklet proved that stuff wrong in the first place.

Master Chief is...

Not really meant to be a complex character. I like to compare Halo to Beowolf. He is a weapon with a job to do and no conflicts about doing it.

Quire.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:

He takes his helmet off in the first game.

A Halo movie could work by either following a group of human characters, or treating the Master Chief like Anton Chigur or a similar force of nature character.

For that to work we'd need a balance of human characters or a play up of Cortana.

It's probably best if they leave Halo to video games, to be honest. A Halo movie could be cool but it would probably suck.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited February 2012
    Zzulu wrote:

Dude, the newer games didn't do that. The first Halo's booklet proved that stuff wrong in the first place.

Master Chief is...

Not really meant to be a complex character.

Fine by me. I didn't really want to bring Halo discussion in here anyway, to be honest.
    I like to compare Halo to Beowolf. He is a weapon with a job to do and no conflicts about doing it.

Yes, it's really better if we move along now.

How was the Zemeckis Beowulf? I keep forgetting to take a look at it for some reason.

Linespider5 on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Not that good. It's watchable but meh

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:

Master Chief is...

Fine by me. I didn't really want to bring Halo discussion in here anyway, to be honest.
    I like to compare Halo to Beowolf. He is a weapon with a job to do and no conflicts about doing it.

How was the Zemeckis Beowulf? I keep forgetting to take a look at it for some reason.

It's pretty bad in my opinion, but not so bad that you can't get through it if you've got two hours to kill and you can see it on like, cable or netflix or something.

Lh96QHG.png
    Zzulu wrote:

Master Chief is...

What? Did I say something stupid? They both are very simple tales based around a hero who has no qualms fighting evil. Both are very simple and Direct.

Quire.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:

A Halo movie could work by either following a group of human characters, or treating the Master Chief like Anton Chigur or a similar force of nature character.

For that to work we'd need a balance of human characters or a play up of Cortana.

It's probably best if they leave Halo to video games, to be honest. A Halo movie could be cool but it would probably suck.

Did they did some Halo the Anime bullshit that turns out the be yuck plastered on film?

Yeah, keep Halo to video games.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    I get writing up "Disappointed"-lists, but "utterly overrated". That just reeks of juvenile arrogance.

So.. please tell us where everybody's been wrong and "utterly overrated" a film.

It's a horrible, mean-spirited, shallow exercise in narcissism and entitlement that has the gall to think it's both clever and heartfelt. Despite being blandly shot and flatly written, it then won a bunch of awards because Sad George Clooney wets the pants of old people.

I'm reasonably sure that wet-pantsed old people aren't really this board's demographic (although I might of course be wrong), so I'm not quite sure whose critical assessment you're rallying against. The use of the word "overrated" just rubs me the wrong way in this thread, because it carries this sense of "I know better than the unwashed masses" and I don't really see the need for that here.

You might want to consider decreasing the sensitivity setting on your grumpometer.

Can you two put a sock in it?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    Zzulu wrote:

Did they did some Halo the Anime bullshit that turns out the be yuck plastered on film?

Yeah, keep Halo to video games.

That wasn't really the fault of the medium. In fact it mostly ignored the game as much as possible. And looked UGLY.

Quire.jpg
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Done.

bodymax.jpg

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Ooo, superheros of 2011 rundown!

Green Lantern was the worst superhero movie of the year, because all the other ones tried. F for no effort.

Green Hornet was entertaining and features the most endearing Seth Rogen performance I've seen (I usually hate him), gets bonus points for really goofy 3-D, featuring a strong Asian character, and everything to do with Christoph Waltz. That said, it was very much "style over substance" but not in a way that let you forget the substance.

Thor was awful as previously stated, although some of the CG was pretty and it had some decent ideas. Just piss-poor execution and an odd delineation between turgid, characterless nonsense plot (Asgard!) and airy, plotless nothing (Earth!).

X-Men: First Class was frothy, entertaining (especially as a period piece), but sadly ill-plotted and half-baked after a ripping good first act promised a movie in which one man used superpowers to hunt and kill Nazis while his best friend used superpowers to fuck his way through the Swinging Sixties. I maintain my version would have been so much better than what we got instead: lackluster, rehashed angsty teens with boring powers and boringer personalities.

Captain America was totally decent, but flubbed the character arc by finishing it way too soon. Spoiler'd for that:
    Once the Cap runs that first mission, he's achieved everything he wanted: to win the admiration of his fellows by serving his country in the war. Unfortunately, there's still a whole villain and plot to get through, and the ensuing montage/scenes were completely devoid of drama or interest, despite lots of whizzbang explosions, guns, trains, etc. Because Captain America is fucking invincible, dipshits--if you want me to care about him punching something, I have to care about how it makes him feel, not whether or not he'll succeed or how "cool" he looks throwing the punch.

Luckily for the Avengers, Captain America gets a new character at the end of the movie and then suddenly things are interesting again.

With the best Marvel and DC had to offer coming in at "severely flawed" at best, the best and most excellent superhero movie of the year was, quite naturally, that other movie about a costumed vigilante exercising his sociopathy on the craven criminals of his community:
    Drive.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    *blinks*
    Drive? Um...I think you're missing the point. Or stretching it. Or maybe somehow both.

*blinks*
    Drive? Um...I think you're missing the point. Or stretching it. Or maybe somehow both.

Uh the director himself has said that Drive was sorta his take on the superhero genre.

Quire.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Done.

bodymax.jpg

DAMMIT ROSS! Coke through the nose BURNS man.
    :D

newSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.