As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SNES PC - A follow-up after the NES PC

buddmanbuddman Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
Hey all,

About a year or so ago I posted in these forums about the NES PC I had built. Well, fast forward to today and now I've completed a SNES PC build. Originally I didn't intend to do a SNES PC, but I had received a lot of requests from fans of the NES one, so went ahead and did it. Here is the video for those interested. Enjoy!

SNES PC Build Project - Part 2

buddman on

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I have a old PS2 that I yanked from a display unit that doesn't read DVDs anymore. Been tempted to do this kind of thing for years.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • buddmanbuddman Registered User regular
    Oh and btw...if you liked this, please support me in reddit.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That's really cool but aren't you going to get in trouble for piracy? I thought this forum had a "no emulators" rule

override367 on
    Well, one thing I leave out in the video is that just because I have a menu of 700+ games doesn't mean I actually have the games. I dunno though, if the admins feel this is against the rules then please remove the thread. I do not wish to cause any issues. However, no one seemed to have issues with the original NES thread a year ago.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is so fucking cool

I love the way you throw the HDD in the carts, both on the NES and the SNES. What frontend is that btw? I'm at work so I have the sound off.

EDIT: But ya, the mods are pretty strict about this sort of stuff. When I showed off my arcade cabinet, I had to get mod permission to show video of its frontend running, and they only gave me permission because I provided proof that I owned the actual PCBs for the games I was showing off in the frontend.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see now that you're using hyperspin. That's the same frontend I use for my cabinet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7EwzVOtMgc

You seem like a cool hobbyist. There are less strict forums out there to discuss this on, should this get banned. I'd love to keep chatting about this, may I suggest going over to sega-16?

TheSonicRetard on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    buddman wrote: »
    Well, one thing I leave out in the video is that just because I have a menu of 700+ games doesn't mean I actually have the games. I dunno though, if the admins feel this is against the rules then please remove the thread. I do not wish to cause any issues. However, no one seemed to have issues with the original NES thread a year ago.

I hope not, this project is fantastic

I keep wanting to do it but then I remember I'm lazy

• KysennaKysenna Registered User regular
    That was incredible! It must feel great to create something like that.
    Hurray N64 foreshadowing!

sig.gif
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This is incredible. I'd love to have something like this on hand, maybe a Mega Drive with my whole library on it, ready to go. But alas, I got no skills in this area. :P

How long did this take, start to finish?

Oh brilliant
    How long did this take, start to finish?

The build only took 3 months to complete, and honestly that was due to lack of time. I would say making the video was the more difficult task.

• o The Dome oo The Dome o Registered User regular
    Incredible! I also just like how you kinda forget talking about the SNES-PC build and do a retro review of Metroid -right in the middle (that isn't sarcasm; I really mean that). Maybe you could take over from the AVGN as he seems to have stopped doing reviews on a count of his movie.

Anyway, great work, great video and I'll take 4 of them SNES-PC's if you don't mind.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Incredible! I also just like how you kinda forget talking about the SNES-PC build and do a retro review of Metroid -right in the middle (that isn't sarcasm; I really mean that). Maybe you could take over from the AVGN as he seems to have stopped doing reviews on a count of his movie.

Anyway, great work, great video and I'll take 4 of them SNES-PC's if you don't mind.

wait, what? what??
    [checks internet]
    ....people gave that idiot $300k to make a movie?!?
    god I hate people so much

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    People doing what they love is so terrible.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

wait, what? what??
    [checks internet]

Hahaha, I'd watch it

JtgVX0H.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

wait, what? what??
    [checks internet]

Hahaha, I'd watch it

His movie is a review of ET

It's going to fucking rule

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Oh god yes.

I've spent the last few days watching the entire AVGN library. Time well spent.

On topic though; how hard was it sourcing parts that would all fit in the case? Would a Mega Drive version be possible, given how thin it is?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I honestly hope this doesn't get banned, simply because it is awesome. Seriously this is fucking cool as hell.

Also, I feel like a fool for not remembering where the first song in your video is from.

Edit: All that said, I hate to think about the kind of risk you're potentially taking by publicizing something like this.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I wonder how the new Raspberry Pi linux kit that's coming out for $35 would fit into one of these projects. I know it wouldn't have the muscle for n64 - but for 8/16 bit systems I would think it would be an awesome solution for small size, lower heat type of mini consoles.

edited February 2012
    Triple B wrote: »
    I honestly hope this doesn't get banned, simply because it is awesome. Seriously this is fucking cool as hell.

Also, I feel like a fool for not remembering where the first song in your video is from.

Edit: All that said, I hate to think about the kind of risk you're potentially taking by publicizing something like this.

Thanks for the kudos. I'm not sure I entirely understand the risk in showing something like this. Nothing was pirated - again, just because I have a menu that represents the game, doesn't actually mean I have the game itself on the box. I'm surprised because no one seemed to worry about this sort of thing a year ago when I showed off the original NES. I guess times are changing.

EDIT: First song is from Star Fox, the background music during the controls selection. There is a list of music that was used in the video near the end of the credits.

buddman on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Also buddman, I have to say that I was a huge, huge fan of your NES box and while I haven't had a chance to watch this yet I'm sure I'll enjoy this too! You keep on being awesome, you hear?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    I really appreciate the sentiment you've put forth about both of your builds, that they are meant as celebration and not as something that would be profitable. The build looks great, and I'm impressed that you were able to find so many workarounds for space issues.

I've actually been thinking about doing a Sega Master System PC... mostly for fun.

"Never Hit"
    I really appreciate the sentiment you've put forth about both of your builds, that they are meant as celebration and not as something that would be profitable. The build looks great, and I'm impressed that you were able to find so many workarounds for space issues.

I've actually been thinking about doing a Sega Master System PC... mostly for fun.

A lot of people have asked me to do a Sega system, but I never had a Sega as a kid (my uncle did, but I rarely came over to play it). So I dunno, I MIGHT proceed with the N64 build someday, but I think after that there's not much else to say for my childhood gaming experiences. Maybe I'll go backwards and do an Atari 2600 instead. ;)