As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/mi/michigan_republican_presidential_primary-1589.html

RCP says: Romney by a hair! A perfectly coiffed hair! Shimmering with Brylcreem!

Does a Romney loss doom him forever, paving the way for Tea Party Fever? Does a Santorum loss end his campaign to outlaw vaginas and all the good kinds of sex? Will people continue to mistake Ron Paul for a muppet?

Find out this very evening!

Atomika on

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    From the old thread;
    Prediction time;
    Romney will win the popular vote in Michigan by 2, maybe 3 percentage points. Santorum will win more districts, and more Michigan delegates.
    Arizona will go to Romney, but by a smaller margin than some are expecting.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I'd predict Romney will win Michigan, but by few enough votes that the discovery of ballot counting errors the day after will cast his win into doubt.
    I figure he'll win Arizona by a small, but decent margin.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'll be the spoiler and say Romney wins both by a surprising amount.

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    perfect timing!

I wish I could livestream election coverage.

that should be a thing by november, right?

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I will be surprised if Romney doesn't win his home state.

That being said, I'll also be surprised if he pulls it out by anything other than a very narrow margin. I'm talking 3% at best.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    perfect timing!

I'm pretty sure Santorum is against livestreaming on the grounds it's the tool of the abortifacient snobs to preemptively terminate his viable candidacy.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Romney consistently wins low, but I do think he'll snag it since there were mumbles of low voter turn out and nothing whisks Romney to victory quite like people not wanting to vote.

I wonder if he'll ever edge over barely 50%

Lh96QHG.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    perfect timing!

I'm pretty sure Santorum is against livestreaming on the grounds it's the tool of the abortifacient snobs to preemptively terminate his viable candidacy.

You know what's hilarious about this post? Firefox is telling me "abortifacient" isn't a proper word. And when I right-click to correct it, the first suggestion is "abortionist."

• videobobbovideobobbo Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the spin that will come out after the results are live. "Oh, those turrible liberals made a mockery of democracy!" etc.

Perhaps I'm too gleeful about it, though.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A narrow victory is a win for Romney, given that the last week has been "Oh no, he's going to lose!". A 1 vote victory will be "A huge upset by Romney, winning his home state! Can anything stop him now?".

A 1 vote win by Santorum in MI will be "Romney wins big in Arizona!".

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Anyone have numbers on the ent turnout in the race? Mitt spent a lot of time pining for the vital tree swing vote, and if he can spruce up his numbers to an oakay level, he is gonna birchslap Frothy.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    Tomanta wrote: »
    A narrow victory is a win for Romney, given that the last week has been "Oh no, he's going to lose!". A 1 vote victory will be "A huge upset by Romney, winning his home state! Can anything stop him now?".

The aura of inevitability is starting to get to voters it seems. The tea party types on my Facebook page have started grudgingly liking Mitt Romney's page and generally staying quiet, where a few months ago they were all rooting for someone else. This seems like the kind of thing they'd be up in arms over, especially if Santorum wins, but alas.

Romney's hoping for high turnout from those places with the lakes.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

And the trees!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is .... is this real?
    After making remarks in which he equated homosexuality with bestiality, former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum was attacked at a Las Vegas hotel’s jungle habitat by a gay tiger.
    http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/02/01/gay-tiger-attacks-santorum/

Please tell me this is real.

shryke on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

And the trees!

Damn fine height, those trees.

Lh96QHG.png
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    According to early-wave exit polls, 59 percent of voters in Michigan's primary today identified as Republican, versus 41 percent who said they were independents or Democrats.

The 41 percent figure is somewhat higher than most recent polls anticipated. Surveys from Public Policy Polling and Rasmussen Reports pegged crossover turnout at 36 percent, American Research Group at 37 percent and a Mitchell Research poll at 19 percent.

Crossover turnout was 32 percent in Michigan's primary in 2008, according to exit polls, when 7 percent of Michigan's voters said they were Democrats and 25 percent said they were independents.

That's from 538, BTW.

• MillMill Registered User regular

And the trees!

And not just any trees, they have to be the right height!

CNN's intros have officially become more over-the-top than Colbert's intentionally over-the-top ones.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Is .... is this real?
    After making remarks in which he equated homosexuality with bestiality, former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum was attacked at a Las Vegas hotel’s jungle habitat by a gay tiger.

It isn't real. You can tell because it involves non-Republicans (in this case the tiger) acting in an unbelievably absurd manner. In real stories, only the Republicans act like that.

oldmanken wrote: »
    According to early-wave exit polls, 59 percent of voters in Michigan's primary today identified as Republican, versus 41 percent who said they were independents or Democrats.

The 41 percent figure is somewhat higher than most recent polls anticipated. Surveys from Public Policy Polling and Rasmussen Reports pegged crossover turnout at 36 percent, American Research Group at 37 percent and a Mitchell Research poll at 19 percent.

Crossover turnout was 32 percent in Michigan's primary in 2008, according to exit polls, when 7 percent of Michigan's voters said they were Democrats and 25 percent said they were independents.

That's from 538, BTW.

41%? Wow, that's a large backdoor for Romney to exploit in the event Santorum takes the lead.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Is .... is this real?

Andy Borowitz is a satirist. So sadly no.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    videobobbo wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »

That's from 538, BTW.

41%? Wow, that's a large backdoor for Romney to exploit in the event Santorum takes the lead.

Yes and no.

He can use it for spinning why a Michigan loss isn't trouble for his campaign, which could help him in the remainder of the GOP primary. The problem is though, someone could take that and run with the spin that he doesn't appeal to moderate democrats or independents and thus is less likely to be able to defeat Obama in the fall.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Is .... is this real?

Andy Borowitz is a satirist. So sadly no.

Stupid reality.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    videobobbo wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

The aura of inevitability is starting to get to voters it seems. The tea party types on my Facebook page have started grudgingly liking Mitt Romney's page and generally staying quiet, where a few months ago they were all rooting for someone else. This seems like the kind of thing they'd be up in arms over, especially if Santorum wins, but alas.

That aura of inevitability actually has more to do with the fact that most Republicans with a functioning brain realized that all the GOP primary circus has done is basically ensure another four years of Obama, short of a world war and/or total global economic collapse (and the world war might even help that along). My Republican friends have been doing the disappointed head shake a lot lately.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Is .... is this real?

It isn't real. You can tell because it involves non-Republicans (in this case the tiger) acting in an unbelievably absurd manner. In real stories, only the Republicans act like that.

Yeah, were it real Santorum would be attacking the tiger.

jothki wrote: »
    Is .... is this real?

Yeah, were it real Santorum would be attacking the tiger.

To be fair, that tiger went to college. What a snob!

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    aww, see Newt's on CNN and actually coming off as likable.
    Edit: I mean, it was meandering, but that was a nice anecdote.

Captain Ultra on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Google has started getting in the tallies.

I'd imagine it'll be a long time before we have a winner here.

That just means more time for drinking, Bum.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I hope the bloodletting continues. An early Santorum withdrawl will deny me the pleasure of voting for him in my state's open primary.

I would vote Democrat in the primary, but this is Alabama, we're lucky to have a Democrat on the ballot at all, let alone multiple ones to pick from.

-edit-

Also, curious if anyone else lives in a place where the newspaper publishes the names of every registered voter who failed to vote on election day?

Because my local newspaper does that. And it's awesome.

Regina Fong on
    Huntsman on the board with 13 votes!

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I hope the bloodletting continues. An early Santorum withdrawl will deny me the pleasure of voting for him in my state's open primary.

I would vote Democrat in the primary, but this is Alabama, we're lucky to have a Democrat on the ballot at all, let alone multiple ones to pick from.

If I had a good chance of winning three or more states I sure wouldn't drop out now.

Quire.jpg
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I'd do it in exchange for the VP slot.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

-edit-

Also, curious if anyone else lives in a place where the newspaper publishes the names of every registered voter who failed to vote on election day?

Because my local newspaper does that. And it's awesome.

What CD are you in? Vote me for delegate in CD4!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
    That just means more time for drinking, Bum.

I'll be playing Crusader Kings 2 with a bunch of forumers.

Unless he gets absolutely destroyed in both states tonight, Santorum would have to be crazy to drop out before Super Tuesday.
    Well, a different kind of crazy anyway.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Hmm, Santorum with a 0.4% lead with 3.3% reporting might very well be a sign of things to come.