As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    CNN has 6% in, with Santorum ahead by roughly 2%.

According to NYT, 'Uncommitted' has more votes than the current gap between Santorum and Romney.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I hope the bloodletting continues. An early Santorum withdrawl will deny me the pleasure of voting for him in my state's open primary.

I would vote Democrat in the primary, but this is Alabama, we're lucky to have a Democrat on the ballot at all, let alone multiple ones to pick from.

-edit-

Also, curious if anyone else lives in a place where the newspaper publishes the names of every registered voter who failed to vote on election day?

Because my local newspaper does that. And it's awesome.

What CD are you in? Vote me for delegate in CD4!

I'm in district 2, Lauderdale Co.

Do you seriously live one county over from me?

• Options
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I hope the bloodletting continues. An early Santorum withdrawl will deny me the pleasure of voting for him in my state's open primary.

I would vote Democrat in the primary, but this is Alabama, we're lucky to have a Democrat on the ballot at all, let alone multiple ones to pick from.

-edit-

Also, curious if anyone else lives in a place where the newspaper publishes the names of every registered voter who failed to vote on election day?

Because my local newspaper does that. And it's awesome.

What CD are you in? Vote me for delegate in CD4!

I'm in district 2, Lauderdale Co.

Do you seriously live one county over from me?

Sounds like a beer!

HuffPo is 5% in, Santorum at 40.4, Romney at 38.5. C'mon frothy!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Part of me wants Santorum to win, because I am pretty sure he'll get absolutely eviscerated in a general election. That said, I don't want Santorum to win, because once your the nominee, there is always that off chance you could actually become president, and the man actually frightens me on a lot of levels.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I want Santorum to win tonight so that we are closer to a brokered convention for the pubs, thus eliminating ANY fire they might kindle in their base.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    MSNBC tallies:

Santorum 40% Paul 11% Romney 39% Gingrich 7%

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ah, Ron Paul... comparing economies the size of nations to personal spending, and how we should cut back spending and pay off our debt, ignoring that the macro equivalent of "turning off premium cable" means that roads go to shit or hundreds of thousands die in abject poverty.

I fucking HATE that part of his screed.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm a little mad that out of all the not-Romneys, it's Santorum that rises to the top. I'd rather see Herman Cain as President.

Better than Bachmann, I guess.

enc0re on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I want Santorum to win tonight so that we are closer to a brokered convention for the pubs, thus eliminating ANY fire they might kindle in their base.

This, I'd be content if we could keep the teaper and the "Wah, I'm rich and I'm being hurt by the current tax rate" elements far, far away from having a noticeable impact on policy. I'd like to move forward and I'm pretty sure the idiots in those elements will burn everything down and then fight tooth and nail to keep that way.

It looks like this is going to come down to the wire, since the difference between the two hovers between .5% and slightly over 2% from the current reporting.

• Options
    CNN is at 14% reporting;

Santorum leads Romney by just shy of 1500 votes.
    Santorum 40, Romney 39, Paul 11, Gingrich 7

NYT has 'uncommitted' hovering around 2%.

• Options
    Ah, Ron Paul... comparing economies the size of nations to personal spending, and how we should cut back spending and pay off our debt, ignoring that the macro equivalent of "turning off premium cable" means that roads go to shit or hundreds of thousands die in abject poverty.

Really?

I'd think his conception of the free market as this super-special magical force in reality would be the most infuriating position.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Mill wrote:
    This, I'd be content if we could keep the teaper and the "Wah, I'm rich and I'm being hurt by the current tax rate" elements far, far away from having a noticeable impact on policy. I'd like to move forward and I'm pretty sure the idiots in those elements will burn everything down and then fight tooth and nail to keep that way.

It looks like this is going to come down to the wire, since the difference between the two hovers between .5% and slightly over 2% from the current reporting.

Let's be fair. They're all terrible, just in different ways.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    While I agree with GnomeTank overall, I want Santorum to win because Mittens has never had to work this hard for anything in his life. I only want Mittens to win the primary after going 10 rounds and beating Santorum on points, only to face a well-rested Obama for the championship.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It just narrowed to spitting distance on CNN.

We should see a huge amount in Romney's favor with the rich parts around Detroit.
    Mr. Santorum has a large lead so far in Ottawa County ( View on Map). With about a quarter of precincts reporting, he is leading Mr. Romney 53 percent to 31 percent.

It's a substantial margin, but Ottawa County is among the most conservative in Michigan, and Mr. Santorum needs margins of about this size to counterbalance Mr. Romney in the more populous, affluent and Romney-friendly suburbs to the north of Detroit.

• Options
    Speak of the devil. Romney up.

• Options
    MSNBC just called Arizona for Romney. Shock and surprise.

• Options
    edited February 2012

Let's be fair. They're all terrible, just in different ways. [/quote]

Exactly, all the more reason to pray for an outcome where they decide to not vote.

Mill on
  • Options
    CNN has already called Arizona for Romney. No real surprise there.

• Options
    "Arizona is a big state for Romney to win."

Uh...not really, Ed.

• Options
    19%: Romney just pulled ahead in Michigan.

• Options
    Is Michigan "winner take all?"

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular

No.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    "Arizona is a big state for Romney to win."

Uh...not really, Ed.

I guess... geographically, it's on the large side.

• Options
    edited February 2012

Nope. There's a good article on Huffingtonpost explaining how it works, and how the winner of Michigan doesn't actually matter, except in terms of perception.

Edit: Here's the article

Edit edit:
    Here's where we have to refer to what Michigan decided to do after getting penalized by the RNC for moving their primary. As Josh Putnam explains, Michigan typically has 59 delegates to award, and the usual way they are awarded is that the winner of each of Michigan's 14 Congressional Districts (CD) gets 3 delegates, there are 14 at-large delegates that are eligible to be claimed by anyone who receives at least 15 percent of the statewide vote, and there are three "automatic delegates" who are "free to choose whomever." After the penalty however, Michigan decided to get rid of the automatic delegates, slash the at-larges down to two, and give each CD 2 delegates. That means the bigger share of the prize is spread throughout the state.

And I say that the statewide winner may receive two delegates because according to the rules, the at-larges are assigned proportionally to everyone who manages to pull 15 percent of the statewide vote.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Nope. Two delegates are awarded to the one with the most votes. Two are awarded for each congressional district won.

Arizona is winner take all.

Couscous on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Wow, I was really worried there for a second. But it looks like Romney is pulling ahead now.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

Really?

I'd think his conception of the free market as this super-special magical force in reality would be the most infuriating position.

I don't hate any specific idea Paul has, they're all rage inducing. He's just a terrible person in general.

• Options
    I want to see by how much of a margin Romney wins Arizona. I have feeling that if it isn't large, that's going to put chinks in his inevitability because with McCain's backing, the Mormon population and being the front runner, that shouldn't be a close race.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

This reminds me of some blog post that made the rounds of my friends that explained why we shouldn't tax the rich with some metaphor about ten guys drinking beer, and how it was unfair for the one with the most money to buy everyone's beer.

Needless to say, it was reductionist to the point of absurdity.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Quick perusal of some of the precincts which have reported out of Oakland County leads me to think Romney is probably going to outperform his 2008 margin from that county.

No precincts I'd consider bellwethers in yet, though.

SammyF on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The thing about Ron Paul is that I actually don't think he's a terrible person (vis a vis Ricky boy, who is a terrible person), he's just really wrong a lot of the time. I don't agree with a damn thing he says, but I honestly believe he cares. I don't believe that about any of the other candidates, who I feel are in it purely to push an agenda, some more scary than others.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

This reminds me of some blog post that made the rounds of my friends that explained why we shouldn't tax the rich with some metaphor about ten guys drinking beer, and how it was unfair for the one with the most money to buy everyone's beer.

I've always hated that analogy but I've never found an equally absurd and simple counter argument to burn them.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MSNBC thinks Michigan is to close to call, unofficially Santorum won? :mrgreen:

• Options
    Michigan at 24%: Romney ahead by about 8,000.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Ottawa County went Santorum?!?!?

Yessssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking like a bad night for Rmoney.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

I've always hated that analogy but I've never found an equally absurd and simple counter argument to burn them.
    Because ensuring people don't starve and making sure the government can provide basic services are exactly like buying beer.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The thing about Ron Paul is that I actually don't think he's a terrible person (vis a vis Ricky boy, who is a terrible person), he's just really wrong a lot of the time. I don't agree with a damn thing he says, but I honestly believe he cares. I don't believe that about any of the other candidates, who I feel are in it purely to push an agenda, some more scary than others.

Being slightly better than Santorum still makes him a bad person IMO. The fact he's so clueless rather than openly hostile doesn't earn him any slack from me.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Grand Rapids area goes Santorum. Suburban areas going Romney. Not much surprising so far except for the size of the turnout.