As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] New IDW ongoing series.

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Graphic Violence
tmnt-idw-ashcan.jpg

A lot of people wondered what would become of the TMNT after Mirage Studios sold the franchise lock, stock, and barrel to Nickelodeon.

A lot, as it turns out. Not only is there a new CG animated series set to debut soon, Nickelodeon has partnered up with IDW to put out a new comic series. And fans of the franchise can rejoice. It hearkens back to the original Mirage series in a lot of ways. Eastman has been doing story and layout work, and it reimagines the TMNT's origin in several inventive ways.

A lot of familiar characters are present, some with slightly reimagined origins. I've put some general spoilers from the first five issues below, for those interested in reading about the changes.
Both Splinter and the Turtles are test subjects (regular non-mutated animals) in the lab that Baxter Stockman oversees.

Stockman answers to a General Krang, whom we have yet to meet, but has commissioned Stockman to develop a super-soldier mutagen.

April works in the lab and is responsible for naming the turtles.

April and Casey Jones are younger, and Casey is abused by his father.

The turtles all wear red bandanas until the fifth issue.

This is a big one, as it pertains directly to a reveal about Hamato Yoshi and his relationship with Splinter, so I've spoilered it specifically.
It is being heavily implied that Splinter and the turtles are reincarnations of Yoshi and his four sons. Yoshi and his family are killed by Oroku Saki, and Splinter and the turtles seem to have implicit knowledge and memory of Yoshi's life and the art of ninjitsu, despite only being recently mutated.

I encourage any TMNT fans out there to give it a look.

Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles_8-665x1024.jpg

ISSUE # 8 OUT NOW

Ceno on

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Hell yeah

Been reading and enjoying the hell out of this.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention, Ceno

I'm not really a huge comic guy but I always loved the old TMNT comics and will seek these out ASAP

• Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Woo Turtles Thread!
    Ceno wrote:
    Both Splinter and the Turtles are test subjects (regular non-mutated animals) in the lab that Baxter Stockman oversees.

Stockman answers to a General Krang, whom we have yet to meet, but has commissioned Stockman to develop a super-soldier mutagen.

April works in the lab and is responsible for naming the turtles.

Casey Jones is younger, and abused by his father.

The turtles all wear red bandanas until the fifth issue.

This is a big one, as it pertains directly to a reveal about Hamato Yoshi and his relationship with Splinter, so I've spoilered it specifically.
    It is being heavily implied that Splinter and the turtles are reincarnations of Yoshi and his four sons. Yoshi and his family are killed by Oroku Saki, and Splinter and the turtles seem to have implicit knowledge and memory of Yoshi's life and the art of ninjitsu, despite only being recently mutated.

Raphael one-shot spoilers
    Also we're introduced to some Albino Wolf-Chick who I wouldn't be surprised if she was a homage to Ninjara from Archie comics.

At the end of the same one-shot, we see that her, and the two goons she was working with are working for what seems like it might be the new Shredder.

Those goons? Rocksteady and Bebops human forms! Right down to Rocksteady little green army helmet and Bebops purple mohawk

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hmmm...are these available online in any way? I haven't seen them in my stores.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    I'm kind of on the fence about the new origin stuff so far, especially the
    reincarnation stuff.
    It just feels a bit weird to mix science accident weirdness with spiritual mysticism. Also I always liked the Daredevil homage.

DMAC on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I assume THIS is the first trade being released? If so, I will definitely get into this.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I think I might want to look into this a bit more, sounds pretty cool actually.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Issue #6 came out today.

Great read. Fleshed out the new origin of the turtles a bit more, and there is a sibling rivalry present, but not between the two bros you'd expect.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i did not know this was a thing... thank you so much.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I love the acronym for the mousers now, and their new origin.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote:
    I'm kind of on the fence about the new origin stuff so far, especially the
    reincarnation stuff.
    It just feels a bit weird to mix science accident weirdness with spiritual mysticism. Also I always liked the Daredevil homage.

Turtles always had a little bit of both, the way I read it. Mysticism can always become the weird outlying edge of science fiction.

Now, somebody give me the TMNT/Hellboy crossover we all know we want.

• Options
    Man, so I went into a comic store for the first time ever

Grabbed up all six of these, really good stuff so far, got through the first three

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Wish this was on ComiXology :(

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Hooray!

I haven't been able to get my hands on issue 3, though I have all the others. They've been selling out. It's even out of stock online.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Ceno wrote:
    Hooray!

I haven't been able to get my hands on issue 3, though I have all the others. They've been selling out. It's even out of stock online.

I guess I should say I went to two comic shops for the first time ever

A little locally-run place had 1-2 and 4-6, missing #3. I went across the street into the mall to the Coliseum of Comics and they had 3-6, so I grabbed 3 there

Why would a random issue like the third be the most popular one?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    It's probably going into a second printing. The first two are in their third printing already.

• Options
    could be because it's the origin part of the story, with the "ooze/falling in the gutter" scene.

• Options
    Ceno wrote:
    It's probably going into a second printing. The first two are in their third printing already.

I'm guessing repeat printings are the ones that say "Global" instead of "Cover A or B", right?

The first two say global and the others are all cover B

• Options
    Probably. My #1 and #2 have black and white covers and no specific designation.

Also, yay! Found a #3 online through Amazon for only about $6.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    New turtle designs from the upcoming fall 2012 Nickelodeon CG series. THIRD TOE ALERT.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/02/01/mtv-geek-exclusive-tons-of-tmnt-toys/

tmnt-figure-group-9-16-11.jpg

Ceno on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote:
    New turtle designs from the upcoming fall 2012 Nickelodeon CG series. THIRD TOE ALERT.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/02/01/mtv-geek-exclusive-tons-of-tmnt-toys/

tmnt-figure-group-9-16-11.jpg
    These are beautiful. Leo looks great (my favorite) and so does Mikey (he usually doesn't in toy form). So cool.

• Options
    Those really do look awesome. They also seem to be individually sculpted for the most part. can't tell with the legs exactly but that shows a lot of care. I could use someone like donatello to protect my desk and computer... I hear he does machines.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    New figures as well as the "Classic" figures look great.

Is there a way to subscribe to the IDW series?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Picked up the first TPB today, it's an interesting take on their origins. I'm looking forward to seeing where it's going.
    Especially liked Splinter clawing at the ninja's face, so hoping that ends up becoming Shredder. Gives me movie warm and fuzzies thinking about it.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Zen ArcadeZen Arcade Registered User regular
    For some reason three toes looks way weirder than two toes to me now.

• Options
    Huh. Three toes.

Actually kind of makes them seem more Turtle-y for some reason. I suppose it helps that overall those figure sculpts look rather handsome with strong posture emphasis. Well, Raph looks a little off compared to the others I suppose. But those look very well done.

Game on I say.

• Options
    oh cool I didn't know the first trade was out already. I'll have to jump into this.

• Options
    Hooray, my issue #3 arrived today.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Issue # 7 out today!

In this issue: Krang! Stone Soldiers! Mousers!

Also, I discovered some Dan Duncan art that could be the official look of Shredder in this series.
    tumblr_lzrkn6r6kf1rojbapo1_500.jpg

Ceno on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    When I first saw the three toes, my brain went all Uncanny Valley on me. I guess it makes sense, logically, given their three fingers, but man does my brain refuse to acknowledge this as being normal.

Ruined forever, a slap in the face, etc.

• Options
    Hot damn, I need in on this. The turtles basically were one of my first building blocks to serious drawing when I was seven or eight, and I had my brother's legit Eastman/Laird TMNT stuff to wow on while everyone else was all turtle blimp and technicolour headbands. Such a discovery set me on a path for looking for the weird hard to find stuff rather than just liking what everybody else already had.

There's something to be said for a full, ground-up reinvention of something, when the people doing the work are willing to commit on their idea and get the heavy lifting done.

Nice Shredder, but I always look at him and wonder how he, you know, opens doors or does normal stuff with the punching daggers built into his gauntlets like that.

• Options
    Only at issue 7. Do I try to hunt down 1-6 or do I stick to the trades. Hmm.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote:

You said it, I was thinking it.

• Options
    redfield85 wrote:

You said it, I was thinking it.

For some reason I have started collecting issues when I am always a trade guy. I have all the Venoms so far, just picked up #2-6 of Batman (need to get #1), and now I am thinking of getting these.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    the first trade is already out, so they seem to publish them pretty quick after they get enough issues out at least

• Options
    Bought issue #7 today

The comic shop near me (Coliseum of Comics) won't take credit cards as payment unless the bill is over $5, so every time I've gone to get a new Turtles I've been getting a new trade as well. Last month I got the first two trades of Y: The Last Man, this month the first trade of Runaways

Monthly buying is going to be a dangerous game for my wallet

• Options
    Side note: Nolan North's twitter was abuzz yesterday as he and some other notable names (including Sean Astin) were recording for the new Nick series. North is playing Raphael, jut as he did in the CG movie from a few years ago.

• Options
    So, is the micro series a side story to the main story? I see that it is like a focus on each turtle. Does that mean there are only 4 issues or is it an ongoing series?

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, is the micro series a side story to the main story? I see that it is like a focus on each turtle. Does that mean there are only 4 issues or is it an ongoing series?

Each issue is a turtle's one-shot story.

Raph's was issue one, and slightly related to the main ongoing story because Casey is involved.
    Mikey's was two, and a fun costume party museum heist story
    And Don's is tomorrow.

• Options
    Gotcha. Maybe I will pick up those individual issues and just get the trades of the main story. Thanks.

bYf6vNQ.png