As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] SBO on Saturday. Character lock go!

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    With Leixia, I can get some pretty beefy damage off a wallsplat, especially if I throw some meter around. I'm not sure if this can apply to other characters, but in general, you want to throw in a BE before you go for the second wallsplat. If you've got the meter to wallsplat, BE, wallsplat, CE you can easily take off half their life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    What is the metatag for you bros?

Yall need to teach me how to soul cal. What is the safe frames on block? -8?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The metatag is PASideSteppers.

As for safe yeah. -8 is safe.

That being said there is a bit more to it.

Sans aPat 8 frame super the next fastest attack is 10 frames so really anything in that ballpark is okay.

Then you have just guarding which makes the user recover from blocking faster and make moves that weren't punishable punishable and other moves more punishable.

Then you have guard impacts which can interrupt some strings and give the user advantage.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    The metatag is PASideSteppers.

As for safe yeah. -8 is safe.

That being said there is a bit more to it.

Sans aPat 8 frame super the next fastest attack is 10 frames so really anything in that ballpark is okay.

Then you have just guarding which makes the user recover from blocking faster and make moves that weren't punishable punishable and other moves more punishable.

Then you have guard impacts which can interrupt some strings and give the user advantage.

Those types of details I grasp real real good. It's the base fundamentals I need to understand.

Whats good startup time, what makes a good poke, how does the combo system work, quick step vs regular, what is Special Mid vs regular mid, how does tracking work, how does oki tracking work, that's the stuff.

Thank you so much for answering my questions though!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hmmm...good startup time is around 14ish frames. Some characters have faster attacks than that some have slower but that's the average.

A good poke is basically what a good poke is in most games. Good range, relatively safe, and/or fast enough to serve as an interrupt. Most peoples BB attacks are good pokes...but that doesn't go for everyone.

Combo system for SC5 is pretty basic. You have your canned combos(like BB for most characters), you have your launcher combos, and you have your counter/stun combos, not to mention tech traps, wall combos and such. Its different for each character so that takes practice.

Quick Step is faster than regular, sends you farther and evades more stuff but it has a(i think) 20 frame animation so you are more vulnerable to step-killing attacks. Regular step doesn't evade as much as quick step but you recover and can go into block faster.

A special mid is a mid that can be blocked or ducked. A special low is a low that can be blocked standing or crouching but can still be jumped.

Tracking is different for each character so you have to test that for yourself(or look it up).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote: »
    I just beat the #1 ranked guy on psn.

Then I promptly lost to a Cervy player with a 50% win rate.

I find that win ratios are pretty janked in ranked. Lots of people are clearly rage quitting. There's WAY too many people with 80%+ win ratios online... like the majority of people I play against have ridiculously unrealistic win ratios.

I've absolutely spanked people with 90% win ratios with over a 100 games played. Like it wasn't even a contest.

This would support the fact that EVERY astaroth player I find on ranked is 80%+ win rate

EVERY ONE.

I still haven't figured out how to beat him. Fucker always locks me down and then gets throws all day. Prolly a combination of the slight lag online adding advantage and the fact Im using Viola :|

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

I find that win ratios are pretty janked in ranked. Lots of people are clearly rage quitting. There's WAY too many people with 80%+ win ratios online... like the majority of people I play against have ridiculously unrealistic win ratios.

I've absolutely spanked people with 90% win ratios with over a 100 games played. Like it wasn't even a contest.

This would support the fact that EVERY astaroth player I find on ranked is 80%+ win rate

EVERY ONE.

I still haven't figured out how to beat him. Fucker always locks me down and then gets throws all day. Prolly a combination of the slight lag online adding advantage and the fact Im using Viola :|

I always chalked up my unusually high win percentage to clown astaroth throwing off people's composure. Handsome fighters win 90% of their battles.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular

EVERY ONE.

I always chalked up my unusually high win percentage to clown astaroth throwing off people's composure. Handsome fighters win 90% of their battles.

Ironically, it's more distracting then all the tatas that this game throws around. >,>

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Dampierre dlc sometime next week.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    I haven't seen ANYONE use dampierre yet. Not once. Was it just that hard to get the preorder bonus, or does no one give a crap about him?

Or is he unavailable online?

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I haven't seen ANYONE use dampierre yet. Not once. Was it just that hard to get the preorder bonus, or does no one give a crap about him?

Or is he unavailable online?

Lots of his moves are random in action, forcing the player to play based on reaction of his moves.

It's really stupid, considering his moves were perfectly controllable in Broken Destiny.

• Options
    His moves were random in Broken Destiny as well. He plays nearly the same.

Tourney should start in a couple of hours. Not sure when the stream starts, but it should be here:

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    His moves were random in Broken Destiny as well. He plays nearly the same.

Really? Brain fart derp. Still, the point stands. Who the hell wants to play an unreliable character seriously?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    There are a few.

Actually, I live near the best (and pretty much only) Dampierre player in North America and probably the world. He just likes gimmick characters. In Soulcalibur 4 he mained Vader and was also the best Yoda and (arguably) second best Apprentice in the world. Starting next week he'll be maining Dampierre again since he'll be tourney legal.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    I like the sound of him, think I will try him out.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    I hardly see anyone besides me using Ezio online either. You would think a guest character with a "noob slayer" gimmick (the crossbow) would be pretty popular. I guess the fact that you can't CAS him and 90% of the people I fight online use CAS characters has something to do with it.

• Options
    I actually think Ezio might be pretty competitive if someone put time into him.

But he's a guest character and will be gone next game so I see why people don't.

• Options
    LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I like Ezio because he gets big damage by playing smart and countering the opponent's tactics rather than long combo strings or crazy pressure games. The fact that the crossbow keeps people honest about throwing stupid things out when you're out of range is a nice bonus.

It's going to be a good few years before the next game comes out, and they tend to mix up the movesets between iterations anyways, so I don't have a problem with not having a pan-series main.

LegendofLink on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Did about as well as I expected.

I'll have a little bit of Ezio footage. He's an alright character, but unfortunately now that Dampierre is going to be legal he'll be dropped like a rock.

Someone might find something to do with him, like they did with Apprentice. There are a few really good players who have no problem jumping on gimmick characters.

This is an online match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l4YGZwdmro&feature=g-all-u&context=G248d141FAAAAAAAAAAA

There are no more excuses.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I guess I'm going to main Siegfried. I made people mad on the Xboxes.

• Options
    Siegfried is a huge pain in the ass to play against, especially as Nightmare and doubly so if the Seigfried player can do his jfs. His jfs are stupid good and let him shut most characters down at mid range.

A Siegfried took 4th at our tourney, and I knew when I got there that I was going to lose to Siegfried. If I'd been paying attention I could have practised for a counter-pick, but instead I dropped combos and lost in stupid ways.

This might be the last decent Ezio gameplay I get for a long while. According to the players he's best as a zoning and whiff punishment character. He's too slow and awkward up close and doesn't have much in the way of proper mixups. But he chs like a train and is solid enough at mid range.

http://youtu.be/LFRIm2XpbM8

Here's the Siegfried. Witness how dumb his jfs are. You can see more of it in the stream's archives.

http://youtu.be/XNKFm9Z7Qcw
    http://youtu.be/tTLryzbsLNw

stream
  • Options
    Wow. That's some inspiring stuff. But JFs? I thought Siegfried only had one JF? At least, there's only one on his movelist ingame.

• Options
    He has like 4.

The only really important ones are aga and the low.

stream
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    That ivy vs yoshi match was awesome. I've yet to see yoshi played like that in sc5, no one ever uses his JF's from what I've seen. That video actually made me want to learn him lol.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Chang's friend doesn't play characters unless he can show off his jfs.

stream
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Another weekend, another set of tournament results with characters like Viola, Ivy, Siegfried, and Mitsu either winning or placing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsqGB3SVD0&feature=channel

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I learned that I need to play more.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Heads up for those who bought the game at Best Buy: it's on sale (permanent?) for $39.99 this week.

Since their policy allows you to price match a purchase within 30 days, I was able to get $20 back as a result.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Heads up for those who bought the game at Best Buy: it's on sale (permanent?) for $39.99 this week.

Since their policy allows you to price match a purchase within 30 days, I was able to get $20 back as a result.

Too bad their CE isn't on sale. :(

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Apparently Dampierre is out now, at least on xbl. I saw 400 points, but I have no idea what that is in real money.

You can't customize Dampierre directly, but his style can be used with custom characters.

stream
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Page- wrote: »
    Apparently Dampierre is out now, at least on xbl. I saw 400 points, but I have no idea what that is in real money.

You can't customize Dampierre directly, but his style can be used with custom characters.

That's like $5. Def won't be buying him at that price.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Just lost to filthy rich on psn. Pretty sure it was him. :p

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Fighting game characters as DLC have pretty much always been set at $5 now. Since they've been proven to sell at that point, don't expect it to ever change (outside of special bundle deals, at least).

On another note have many people encountered players online specifically trying to lag abuse (often using Astaroth as their character)? I've seen enough of it now that I have a hard time thinking its an isolated case. Between that and the seemingly very low skill level of your average player I'm starting to get disheartened in playing randoms online.

• Options
    Yeah 5 bucks for a character seems reasonable(though he is already on the disc but whatever...not going to open that can of worms).

That being said I pretty much have no interest in him so I don't know if I'll be getting him yet.

• Options
    Fighting game characters as DLC have pretty much always been set at $5 now. Since they've been proven to sell at that point, don't expect it to ever change (outside of special bundle deals, at least).

On another note have many people encountered players online specifically trying to lag abuse (often using Astaroth as their character)? I've seen enough of it now that I have a hard time thinking its an isolated case. Between that and the seemingly very low skill level of your average player I'm starting to get disheartened in playing randoms online.

Ive kind of felt like this sometimes too. But almost all scrubs online white kit asta and I haven't learned how to handle it sans keeping him locked down the whole match. Then again I feel like I am always fighting slight input lag giving certain characters guaranteed lockdowns due to not being able to fit steps in where I should be able to. Also why dis thread die lately :(

• Options
    edited February 2012
    cell phone double post fail

Kai_San on
  • Options
    I dunno. I mean honestly I don't post too much in fighting game threads to begin with.

I'm always around but unless people are asking me questions I don't have too much to say.

• Options
    Pretty much. Don't want to shit this thread up with my salt. There'll probably be more discussion when a patch comes out.

• Options
    We can talk about stuff if you've got something you want to talk about.

Maybe I'll write another article. Those always fire things up (sarcasm).

stream