As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]lands 2: 96.5% more [chat][chat]

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    “The beauty of the fighting game community, and you should know this - it’s based around not being welcome. That’s the beauty of it. That’s the key essence of it. When you walk into an arcade for the first time, nobody likes you.”

is fucking disgusting

what are you doing right now

in this place

what is going on in this area

It's not disgusting. It's just weird.

it's also intereting to consider how such a culture could continue to exist and gain new members.

basically through a similar kind of ritualistic shitting upon as hazing and the like

a person goes through a period of "paying their dues" and dealing with abuse from other people, and if they endure it proves they really want to be there and aren't some filthy outsider

so then they get to join the group and abuse the next new person

it's cyclical

and it's repugnant

it's hardly exclusive to fighting game fans but it's disgusting anytime it pops up

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    P10 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    They feel entitled to a safe haven where they can spout sexist and racist comments without pressure from anyone. What the fuck is that? Sociopathy, right?
    the PA article is ass and doesn't represent the situation accurately (not to condone the actions of aris, just saying)

I don't really need to read the article. The videos speak for themselves. There is nothing acceptable about Aris' behavior, which is really all I'm concerned with. Even if the article is otherwise totally inaccurate, there is no refuting the community's and Aris's general tone.

Also, don't be surprised that an editorial (it is tagged as an editorial at the top) is biased - that's what editorials are. It's not an article in the "objective" journalistic sense.
    it's one thing to be an opinion piece, and it's another thing to say
    . Someone brings up an instance of someone yelling the world “bitch” over and over as a female player competed, and then screamed for her rape when she lost. [Correction: this was in reference to the female character Phoenix, not a female player.]

The article is only loosely related to what actually happened or what actually goes on. I doubt the writer watched anything from Cross Assault (probably hadn't even heard about it) until the controversy happened.

So are you saying that the videos and quotations are fabrications?

Because I just watched and listened and the quotes seem accurate. There is no context where "this is how it is, which makes it okay. Fuck off." is acceptable.

I'm listening to Aris say, right now, as I type this, that "sexual harassment is a part of the culture."

That is not acceptable.

There is no context that makes it acceptable.

So I really don't know or care what is inaccurate about the article. Seems accurate enough to me. And even if the guy did nothing but post the excerpt of this video I just listened to, with no article, the point he made would still be 100% valid.

But please go ahead and explain how "what actually happened" differs from the words I just hears Aris speak and please explain to me how "what goes on" differs from what Aris just explicitly admitted not only goes on, but is an inalienable aspect of the community and in fact is indignant about it to the point where he thinks the community has a right to sexually harass people.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I still want to know why the girl at whom these comments are directed keeps giggling.

• Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    gundam470 wrote: »
    for those who got a cs/ce/ee degree, what made you go into the job market or grad school? or you know, what made you not pursue the other?

I was really interested in AI, but I didn't feel like I was good enough at math to pursue it in grad school so I decided to get a job.

hmmm, interesting

thanks

I stopped at a BS in Comp Sci. I was tired of being a poor college student.

Actually I got a job before graduating (Junior or Senior year). Took forever to finish my degree.

• Options
    the initial writing of it makes the FGC out to be a bunch of rapists. what actually happened is that people think phoenix is a cheap character and someone expressed that opinion through sexist language

Well, no. Within 10 seconds of one of the posted videos, one of the men on the show are referencing Miranda's vagina. So it's not just sexual harassment targeted at fictional characters.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    BS seems like an appropriate shortening

:bz

• Options
    look

bullshit like this:
    “The beauty of the fighting game community, and you should know this - it’s based around not being welcome. That’s the beauty of it. That’s the key essence of it. When you walk into an arcade for the first time, nobody likes you.”

is fucking disgusting

in this place

that's one guys opinion, and I don't agree with it.

whether or not aris was genuinely creeping or just trying to be funny in his own weird way, it seems pretty clear that he took it too far and the combination of his actions and the stress of the show got to superyan and made her miserable. this is obviously terrible, and capcom should have stepped in sooner and put a stop to it if superyan complained to them early on (I believe she did).

trying to make sweeping generalizations about how the FGC is terrible based off the actions of aris and a vocal minority of idiots in comment sections / forums is moronic, yet the gaming 'press' wants to, so they can exploit the controversy for page hits by expressing their outrage

see, now that you're deciding to bust out the jump to conclusions mat and presume conspiratorial motives behind the viewpoints people are expressing

I'm going to do it too!

fair is fair

what if, and we're going to call this my opinion, maaaaan

what if you are a person who is into competitive gaming

like i bet you're really into fighting games and MOBA-DOBAs and shit

i bet you play LoL

and so you're feeling the urge to get defensive about a community that, ostensibly, includes you?

yeah

i get the sense that might be it

y'know B:L does that too any time people criticize anime fan subcultures

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    i don't understand outright conceptual opposition to DLC

like, if a person doesn't like a specific piece of DLC because it doesn't appeal to them or is overpriced for what it brings to the table

okay

but the people who actually get mad at DLC for existing and refuse to acknowledge its existence

that is sad

old post but yeah this is basically my position as well.

• Options
    look

bullshit like this:

is fucking disgusting

in this place

whether or not aris was genuinely creeping or just trying to be funny in his own weird way, it seems pretty clear that he took it too far and the combination of his actions and the stress of the show got to superyan and made her miserable. this is obviously terrible, and capcom should have stepped in sooner and put a stop to it if superyan complained to them early on (I believe she did).

trying to make sweeping generalizations about how the FGC is terrible based off the actions of aris and a vocal minority of idiots in comment sections / forums is moronic, yet the gaming 'press' wants to, so they can exploit the controversy for page hits by expressing their outrage

It actually doesn't matter what happened. The events surrounding that particular day don't matter. The difference between what happened and what the PA Report says happened is irrelevant.

You have Aris explicitly stating that sexual harassment is a part of the FGC and always will be, and that it is wrong for people to try to argue against it.

I'm not saying that you can condemn the FGC based on the words of one asshole, but you can certainly condemn one asshole based on the words of one asshole.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    the initial writing of it makes the FGC out to be a bunch of rapists. what actually happened is that people think phoenix is a cheap character and someone expressed that opinion through sexist language

Well, no. Within 10 seconds of one of the posted videos, one of the men on the show are referencing Miranda's vagina. So it's not just sexual harassment targeted at fictional characters.
    I'm not sure why you're trying to act like I'm blaming superyan or somehow not saying what happened to her is terrible. I pointed to a specific part of the article, and made no reference to the harassment superyan faced.

I never said the quotes or videos were fabrications, although the paraphrasing of what aris said was (I feel) deceptive, the quotes were all accurate. I've never defended aris even once. Please stop trying to make me into an misogynist.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Arlington wrote: »
    for those who got a cs/ce/ee degree, what made you go into the job market or grad school? or you know, what made you not pursue the other?

I was really interested in AI, but I didn't feel like I was good enough at math to pursue it in grad school so I decided to get a job.

hmmm, interesting

thanks

I stopped at a BS in Comp Sci. I was tired of being a poor college student.

Actually I got a job before graduating (Junior or Senior year). Took forever to finish my degree.

hmm

i am inclined to stop at my bsc for no other reason than i'll be 29 when i get it... i don't really want to wait until my 30s to enter the workforce with a grad degree

but if i could get tuition covered, especially with a stipend, it'd be pretty tempting to stay in school another couple years for a higher salary

i dunno

we'll see how much i like my course work around the end of third year

• Options

I'm gonna quote PA's own Munkus Beaver here:
    I've been a member of different "fighting game communities" for over 8 years, I've won about $800 from winning first place in multiple tourneys. I've attended plenty more where I placed 4th or 5th in a group of about 30 or 32. The behavior that Mr. Bakhtanians exhibited is an example of the insular behavior that I constantly saw when I went to these things. Eventually I was so turned off by them, that I lost any desire to travel 2-3 hours to attend these things, even with the promise of making money.

The fact is that many of these communities are incredibly insular, which is great when you are part of the crowd and can even lead you to the false truth that the group is actually extremely accepting. Your comment about how you view them as 'tolerant and socioeconomically diverse' comes from the experience of a person on the inside, as a member of the group of course they are tolerant of you! It's been said elsewhere that often what happens is you have people who can be decent chaps that end up being influenced by the attitudes around them. It goes back to what I said earlier, about the necessity of policing proper etiquette and behavior.

Personally, I don't see how you can label these as 'inaccuracies' when we have direct quotes and repeated video evidence. This isn't a case of one thing being said out of context, there's plenty of context provided in the article with the videos and the quotations. If you want to discredit what is being said, it would help if you yourself provided the evidence instead of dismissing what has been cataloged.

Communities are self-policing, self-reinforcing things. If you let people be jerks, then the group mentality will push people to be more like jerks to be accepted. If you police jerks and make it clear that behavior isn't tolerated, then the group mentality will push people to be more awesome to each other. A lot of this could have been avoided if Capcom had someone supervising this whole process, and if that person had taken Mr. Bakhtanians aside and said "This behavior is unacceptable. Please stop."

EDIT: Also, they should have had a person physically there enforcing this. Post-hoc apologies and damage control apparently happened on Day 2, but the behavior continued. Not exactly what I would call effective management and policing.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular

hmmm, interesting

thanks

The other thing that really interested me was cryptography, but again, that's basically all math. I think I could have powered through it, but the math intimidated me too much. Also, I kind of just wanted to start getting paid already.

If you're good at math, Chu, I would definitely check out cryptography and AI. Hell, check them out anyway, that stuff is cool as shit.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm not saying that you can condemn the FGC based on the words of one asshole, but you can certainly condemn one asshole based on the words of one asshole.
    that's not what the article is doing, though...

P10 on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Since the actual content of the videos is so damning it does seem counter to the goals of the author of that op-ed to fabricate shit to go along with them.

That is, the author has plenty of dirt on the group he wants to run a hit piece on. No problems. But by also making stuff up in addition in order to drive the point home they have ended up throwing doubt on what should be their iron-clad evidense.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think the whole "it's part of the culture" thing to be completely and utterly stupid.

pasig.png
  • Options

I'm not sure why you're trying to act like I'm blaming superyan or somehow not saying what happened to her is terrible. I pointed to a specific part of the article, and made no reference to the harassment superyan faced.

I never said the quotes or videos were fabrications, although the paraphrasing of what aris said was (I feel) deceptive, the quotes were all accurate. I've never defended aris even once. Please stop trying to make me into an misogynist.

I never said you were a misogynist. Where did that come from? I am saying that you calling the article inaccurate seems inaccurate to me. It's an editorial. The point of the editorial is to show that Aris is an asshole and sexism is a problem in the Fighting Game Community. Are both of these things true? Yes. So I don't consider the editorial deceptive no matter how inaccurate or weaselly it may be worded. Ultimately, the point is makes is accurate. I read it, and my overall impression was "holy shit, this Aris guy is an asshole!" Then I went to the video evidence and I said "holy shit, the article was right, this Aris guy is an asshole!"

So...I think calling the editorial deceptive or inaccurate is disingenuous. If it were an objective reporting of facts, then yeah, that would be one thing. But it isn't - it's an article that slaps together a bunch of quotes that were actually spoken by one asshole to paint a picture of him and the culture he represents, all of which I personally feel is supported by the given evidence.

If you really don't agree then fine, I guess we're at an impasse.

But I never meant to imply that you, yourself, are sexist. I am simply arguing against your assertion that the editorial is inaccurate.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Why is there a guy named Aris?

Because "Tasty Steve" was taken.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Why is there a guy named Aris?

Because "Aeris" was taken.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    pretty funny clip from the jimmy kimmel show

movie: the movie

spoilered because the preloading image makes it seem like its NSFW, but it's fine

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    god i am miserable

i am kind of tempted to like, start messaging people and see who wants to get frozen yogurt tomorrow or something

but everyone will probably be busy because it's a wednesday

and what if i continue to be too miserable to get out of bed

so maybe i'll just stay in and write

• Options
    .red wrote: »
    I think the whole "it's part of the culture" thing to be completely and utterly stupid.

it's usually the worst possible defense you can make of an odious belief or behavior

it's the excuse homophobes use

• Options
    look

bullshit like this:

is fucking disgusting

in this place

see, now that you're deciding to bust out the jump to conclusions mat and presume conspiratorial motives behind the viewpoints people are expressing

I'm going to do it too!

fair is fair

i bet you play LoL

and so you're feeling the urge to get defensive about a community that, ostensibly, includes you?

yeah

I don't play Lol, and I'm not anything more than a casual fighting game player.

II never knew that saying 'press overhypes/distorts headline' for page hits/profit made me a conspiracy nut or someone with a persecution complex, but now I know.

re: munkus' experience - if you're going to take one person's personal experiences as gospel, what about sherryjenix (other female contestant on cross assault, since I assume you never watched it). my understanding is she's come out in defense of the communtiy/aris to some degree.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

it's usually the worst possible defense you can make of an odious belief or behavior

But some things are components of a culture, that arise out of a culture.

Such as language.

• Options

Yes.

To be honest, I'm mostly indignant about this because of this general attitude.

"It is what it is, so it's right" is so much bullshit.

• Options
    This guy was my favorite professor, notoriously tough too. He was in charge of one of the senior design projects I did (on AI):

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~eamonn/CHE_story.bmp

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Mmmm Kate Beckinsale.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Possibly the reason they flee to these subcultures that tolerate antisocial behavior is because they cannot actually behave like civilized adults, or they can, but the strain of not seeming wretched is so much they need down time where they can be actively awful people.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    look

bullshit like this:

is fucking disgusting

in this place

I'm going to do it too!

fair is fair

i bet you play LoL

yeah

I don't play Lol, and I'm not anything more than a casual fighting game player.

II never knew that saying 'press overhypes/distorts headline' for page hits/profit made me a conspiracy nut or someone with a persecution complex, but now I know.

re: munkus' experience - if you're going to take one person's personal experiences as gospel, what about sherryjenix (other female contestant on cross assault, since I assume you never watched it). my understanding is she's come out in defense of the communtiy/aris to some degree.

But what does that matter? A girl cannot absolve a community's sins of sexual harassment just because she's a girl. And a majority can't do it either.

Sure, okay, we shouldn't just take one person's word for it (Munkus) but it doesn't seem like members of the community that support the community actually deny that sexual harassment exists (Aris).

I mean, I don't know what Sherryjenix had argued, but it seems to me that she would have to have done one of two things - deny that sexual harassment existed, or excuse it. She doesn't get to excuse it just because she is female, and I think we are past the point of denying its existence when one of the most vocal members not only cops to it but seems proud of it, and also you have various sexist comments captured on video from various people.

Drez on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    you know what would be awesome

if the flow of blood from my cooter could be stopped somehow

it's 2012 make it happen science

Um. They have birth control that advertises this very thing.

Or a hysterectomy.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    I'm going to say I can't fairly continue this conversation topic from my end. I've made the decision to no longer in engage in debates where I don't take my opponent's standpoint seriously, because it will generally result in me just becoming insulting and snide as I disregard what they have to say.

It isn't arguing in good faith. So I'm going to stop now.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

It is. Even if you buy into cultural relativism, it doesn't apply to pissant little gamer subcultures. No one looks at the KKK and says "Oh, but it's their culture." They already have a culture, and it's one that they objectively do not fit into. Forming a subculture of like-minded geese doesn't magically excuse them from being antisocial.

• Options
    .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular
    Possibly the reason they flee to these subcultures that tolerate antisocial behavior is because they cannot actually behave like civilized adults, or they can, but the strain of not seeming wretched is so much they need down time where they can be actively awful people.

isn't that the purpose of anonymity on the internet? I mean, it's one thing to be an asshole on the internet, but to do so in public, face to face with the person you're downtrodden? And I'm not too familiar with this particular culture, but is sexual harassment that rampant?

pasig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I think I'm going to go to bed and play Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on my PS Vita. By myself. Singleplayer. An FGC of one.

(But really I'm going to play Touch My Katamari.)

• Options

It is. Even if you buy into cultural relativism, it doesn't apply to pissant little gamer subcultures. No one looks at the KKK and says "Oh, but it's their culture." They already have a culture, and it's one that they objectively do not fit into. Forming a subculture of like-minded geese doesn't magically excuse them from being antisocial.

Yeah. It's generally the last defense of bigots who don't want to change.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    you know what would be awesome

if the flow of blood from my cooter could be stopped somehow

it's 2012 make it happen science

Um. They have birth control that advertises this very thing.

Or a hysterectomy.

yeah but birth control makes me gain a shitton of weight and break out

• Options
    (But really I'm going to play Touch My Katamari.)

Haven't you been playing that since you were thirteen

• Options

I never said you were a misogynist. Where did that come from? I am saying that you calling the article inaccurate seems inaccurate to me. It's an editorial. The point of the editorial is to show that Aris is an asshole and sexism is a problem in the Fighting Game Community. Are both of these things true? Yes. So I don't consider the editorial deceptive no matter how inaccurate or weaselly it may be worded. Ultimately, the point is makes is accurate. I read it, and my overall impression was "holy shit, this Aris guy is an asshole!" Then I went to the video evidence and I said "holy shit, the article was right, this Aris guy is an asshole!"

So...I think calling the editorial deceptive or inaccurate is disingenuous. If it were an objective reporting of facts, then yeah, that would be one thing. But it isn't - it's an article that slaps together a bunch of quotes that were actually spoken by one asshole to paint a picture of him and the culture he represents, all of which I personally feel is supported by the given evidence.

If you really don't agree then fine, I guess we're at an impasse.

But I never meant to imply that you, yourself, are sexist. I am simply arguing against your assertion that the editorial is inaccurate.
    the article is intentionally distorting the issue to try and hype the controversy.
    it says "contestants took part in sexual harassment and in fact argued that sexual harassment is an important part of the fighting game community that needs to continue." which implies multiple contestants took part in the sexual harassment (pretty sure this isn't true) and that multiple contestants argued that sexual harassment is an important part of the FGC (only aris argued that)
    it also says "Miranda “Super Yan” Pakozdi stepped in to say that the sexual harassment hurts the community, but she’s shushed and told to let the man speaking for her finish." - which is the most loaded word choice possible - might as well have said the other contestants told her to shut up and get back in the kitchen

if you don't see what I'm saying, whatever. but I think it's a terribly written article just meant to exploit the controversy, not written by someone who actually knows anything about what happened or even genuinely cares

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I hate every video game culture I have ever found myself becoming acquainted with other than

"sometimes i get drunk and maybe play a PlayStation"

with that in mind I love the idea of walking into a place as just a random old dude and beating the hell out of everyone then leaving. although i have no idea what that has to do with the rampant sexism and degradation that goes on in gaming communities.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.