As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I have one professor for three classes, she cancels them constantly and never has a lesson plan or anything, gets pissed when we don't take the reins and teach the fucking class for her

and understand, I like professors. especially english professors!

and I think that students should have a clear and lively voice in discussion

but she brings goddamn nothing to the session, and she doesn't direct the discussion at all

it turns into a goddamn book club, and jesus christ I feel like I'm wasting my time

it wouldn't be so bad, except I have her for 9 of the 15 hours I'm taking, and 3 of the others are german

thank god my Am Lit professor is really good or I would just be totally depressed

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    aw I'm sorry skull I was just kidding :(

oh no man it's fine

I actually prefer german to those classes because at least the professor gives a damn

and when it's difficult, it's because I didn't put in the effort, not because the enterprise is bankrupt

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Those teachers are the worst, Skully, I'm sorry you have to deal with that for so many classes. Students (especially English students, in my experiences) love sharing their thoughts and often have quite a bit to offer, but definitely need some guidance. Otherwise people just keep TALKING and saying things that are less and less relevant in the mad hope that the teacher will either validate or refute something

And it's not like you can even be properly excited when those flaky assholes cancel class because goddamn it you paid for that instruction, motherfucker

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I have had class cancelled once in nearly two years at this university

quite surprising, really

0BnD8l3.gif
    yeah that's the most bullshit thing, totally!

like she pulled out a syllabus and was like hee hee guys when can we cancel class cause I could use a day off 8-) tell people it's a research day if they ask and the whole class was heavy with that kinda rank discomfort you get when an authority figure is misusing it in a way that undermines everything at a really basic level

like a cop taking a bribe or something

you just don't like to see it

it eats at you

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    French, Sociology, Art, Art. All T/TH.

The 9:00-9:50 French class is by far the most desirable one, if I get it then I can rock a super easy 17-credit semester

Could probably pull 21, I really think I could pull 21 credits. May as well sign up for 21 if I can, then decide what to drop.

21 credits?

That's a lot. I don't think my school allows students to register for that many. How many classes would that be?

Traditional 2nd semester (freshman year) at DigiPen is 22 credits, which is 7 classes.
    Part of the purpose is to show you "If you can't cut this, GET THE FUCK OUT. It only gets worse."

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    22 credits

7 classes?

How does anyone do that? That's ridiculous.

her last semester, emily took 7 classes, except some were 4 hours, so she ended up with 29 hours

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I think I averaged 20+ credits each semester in college. Not easy, bur certainly doable.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    jesus

I'm taking 18, which is manageable for me

but I don't know how 20+ would be

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Really because most of my best grades were calling my professors hacks

shocking

the only A+ I ever got was in a class called "Intellectual Property and Human Rights Law"

I spent most of the time in class explaining why I thought the concepts he was proposing were total garbage

then I wrote my final and just repeated his arguments back to him, pretending I thought they were at all legitimate, raising only the meekest version of my actual counterarguments

I had to drink an entire six-pack over the course of the six-hour take home exam period, but by god I got that shit done

My highest grade was in my Commercial Law class, my first A+

I did what you did in class and wrote it down

And since my arguments were incredibly well articulated

Got an A+

Shocking (and rare)

My got my only A in my second semester first year writing class. We were writing appellate briefs and after I got my draft back from the prof I asked her what I need to do in order to get an A. I did everything she said, exactly how she said it, and I got my A.

The sad thing about it is that I've worked harder in every single class since then and my reward has been terrible (for law school) grades.

2 more months and then I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    jesus

I'm taking 18 and I want to jump off the school's roof. This kind of schedule is absolutely not sustainable for longer than one semester.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    jesus

also, she had three capstone projects that semester (one for each major and one for her minor)

she ended up writing something like 500 pages that semester and got a 4.0

that is absolutely incredible

I wrote about 66 pages last semester, I think

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    22 credits

7 classes?

How does anyone do that? That's ridiculous.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Time-Turner

altpost: You work your goddamn ass off.
    :)

nevillexmassig1.png

she did a double major and change in 2.5 years

she's incredible, really

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »

she's incredible, really

how many extra-curriculars

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I once consumed 2 liters of wine in around 4 hours.

I was hungover for 60 hours afterward.

There is a lesson somewhere in there for you Crawford.

is the lesson that I could easily beat you in a drinking contest?

Sure?

I don't know...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think I took around 17-18 credits pretty much every quarter of college, which I found fairly reasonable for myself.

But my last quarter was difficult with 20 credits, but I attribute that more to have to write my senior thesis, do my senior colloquium in film & make a short documentary all on top of other classes.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    whaa

i'm doing 16 credits this semester, and most people i know are doing 15 or 12

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    I always tried to put myself at 17 to 18 credits per quarter for safety reasons as if I needed to drop a class I wouldn't go under 12, and thus enter the fucking fuck-zone of terror & sadness.

Marth wrote: »

she's incredible, really

concert clarinetist for a while (the school was a symposium), but that's about it, and she dropped that when she switched her major from music to english

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    hm, how did you do that?
    there aren't any 1 or 2 credit classes here anyway

i have four 3 credit classes, and a 4 credit one

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    hm, how did you do that?

bro you mix and match the 3s and 4s, you can get a bunch of different numbers!

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    22 credits a semester?

I mean, I'm a masochistic pseudo-intellectual with no social life and no job, and that sounds like too much of a workload to me.

I'm pretty sure my school caps the number of credits you can register for at around 16.5 per semester (the .5 is due to the wackiness of lab science classes and whatnot), so at least I'm not tempted to go for more than that.

In other news, got my grade back for the Spanish test I forgot to study for.

The lesson here is: never study.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I am currently taking 27 units, due to the student teaching requirement

ugghghghg

tumblr_lz95p9RznA1r72ijmo2_500.jpg
    Lawndart wrote: »
    The lesson here is: never study.

hm, how did you do that?

bro you mix and match the 3s and 4s, you can get a bunch of different numbers!

there aren't very many 4 credit classes

like, there's language and sciences if you take the lab

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    and he's a philosophy major right

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Classes here are 4 credits each on average. 5 for language, 3 for seminars, 1 for PE / skill-learning classes.
    I'm taking 17 this term; French (5), Cosmology (4), and two art classes (4 and 4). I've only felt swamped once this term, and that was the week I had to produce a video and had an Astronomy mid-term on top of my regular work.

and he's a philosophy major right

Who?

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Marth wrote: »

she's incredible, really

concert clarinetist for a while (the school was a symposium), but that's about it, and she dropped that when she switched her major from music to english

Okay, this makes sense. I would like to think that if I got rid of all my extra stuff (and most of my social life) and just focused on school I could do 18 hours and make a 4.0

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    my astronomy class is baller

we only meet five times the whole semester

our grade is based on our two highest test scores and the third is dropped

because there's only three 30-50 multiple choice tests

4 credits

lfYVHTd.png
    bryar you're a college fraud

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    my astronomy class is baller

we only meet five times the whole semester

our grade is based on our two highest test scores and the third is dropped

because there's only three 30-50 multiple choice tests

4 credits

wait

is your teacher's last name johnson

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    classes started today and i am going to complain about it

they renovated all the english buildings, which is great, except all the rooms are sealed and none of the fucking airconditioning's running, and the doors automatically swing shut and they're too heavy to prop open

and it's summer in fucking queensland, so i ended up sitting at the back of the room, manually holding the door open the entire class, so we didn't all pass the fuck out from heatstroke

also one of these fucking people is doing their dissertation on 'why community is good'

like not an extensive formal analysis or anything, just, this is why it's good

Easiest class I ever took is probably a tie between my Intro to Sociology and Intro to Ethics courses.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    With some rare exceptions, most classes at my school are 3 credits, except for lab science classes that are 4.5 credits (and meet more often). So this semester I'm taking 5 classes and getting 15 credits.

I wish I could double major

but my bio major requires so many classes that I don't think I'll be able to do it

oh well

This discussion has been closed.