As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]lands 2: 96.5% more [chat][chat]

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    stream comments in starcraft 2 are nauseating. luckily most players do not behave the way that chu described that lol player... one of them does and he's singled out and hated by a lot of fans for it. of course he also gets a good amount of viewers.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The biggest disconnect between me and "pro gamers" is the fact that really serious gamers will get good at one game, and that's it.

Back in sub school this one guy on my floor was telling me about his little brother, how he was ranked worldwide in Halo. And I was like, "Oh yeah Halo 2 is pretty fun."

And he was like "Yeah it is, but my brother only does Halo 1."

I just don't get that. That is not how you play video games. Shit gets boring, and anything but the true classics gets so boring that you stop playing it and never play it again, or only take it out for a few days every couple years or so and it gets boring again.

But one game forever? Or for the length of your "career"

That's retarded.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    I must admit

I've been laughing for almost half an hour at the name NiggaDildo

this admission has made me laugh really hard

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The biggest disconnect between me and "pro gamers" is the fact that really serious gamers will get good at one game, and that's it.

Back in sub school this one guy on my floor was telling me about his little brother, how he was ranked worldwide in Halo. And I was like, "Oh yeah Halo 2 is pretty fun."

I just don't get that. That is not how you play video games. Shit gets boring, and anything but the true classics gets so boring that you stop playing it and never play it again, or only take it out for a few days every couple years or so and it gets boring again.

That's retarded.

Specialization can be fun. Not everyone seeks novelty.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    stream comments in starcraft 2 are nauseating. luckily most players do not behave the way that chu described that lol player... one of them does and he's singled out and hated by a lot of fans for it. of course he also gets a good amount of viewers.

Isn't there a lol character some players get all weird over even though she is like a fictional eight year old?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I must admit

REAL MATURE SCRADLEY

• Options
    edited February 2012

That's retarded.

Do you have this attitude about getting good at chess, or poker, or basketball, and focusing your "career" on that?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    _J_ wrote: »

That's retarded.

Halo 1.

Forever.

Is not fun.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I could see playing Skyrim for a few years. But not constantly.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Podly wrote:
    I must admit

You can only use that word if you're a black dildo.

Otherwise, it's Dildo-American.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I feel ya chu

Like, even when I'm in shape, I'm never satisfied with how I look. I just see how I can look better.

I've lost some weight and gotten more fit so far in 2012, but instead of being happy and using my success as motivation, my intense self-loathing is my driving factor.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    why would anyone pick that na...

wait

obviously because it is hysterical

• Options

That's retarded.

Halo 1.

Forever.

Is not fun.

Man if it is for that guy then hell let him have fun. Some people will only play Tetris

• Options

i don't think anyone plays Skyrim competitively
    maybe Elendil

• Options
    .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

That's retarded.

It seems that way for the average person. But look at an occupation - a lot of the time, people do things for a living that isn't necessarily something they enjoy doing. They do it because they need to put food on the table, or perhaps they're fine with the mediocrity ... whatever the reason is, they do it.

But then there are those who find an occupation that, despite perhaps being repetitive or non-divergent, they love what they do and they're happy doing it. Same thing with pro-gamers. For us, who look for a good time and then move on from one game to the next - it makes no sense to stay but those pro gamers, i'm willing to garner 9 times out of 10, love the hell out of that game.

I'll certainly agree that it's not the most lavish of careers, but people are just wired that way.

*edit* I had this same discussion with someone before, and I said the same thing as you. But, months later, I'm on the other side of the table. heh.

.red on
    pasig.png
  • Options
    there are games which are good enough and deep enough to provide a lifetime of enjoyment

there are many such games, especially if they aren't solvable

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the world would be significantly improved if everyone was banned from every SC2 streamchat, forever.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options

maybe Elendil

If fighting for your life against dragons and giants isn't competitive then I don't know what is sir.

• Options
    I feel ya chu

Like, even when I'm in shape, I'm never satisfied with how I look. I just see how I can look better.

I've lost some weight and gotten more fit so far in 2012, but instead of being happy and using my success as motivation, my intense self-loathing is my driving factor.

podly works out in a hair shirt

• Options
    there are games which are good enough and deep enough to provide a lifetime of enjoyment

Like women

• Options

maybe Elendil

If fighting for your life against dragons and giants isn't competitive then I don't know what is sir.

was there fighting? i thought it was more of a potion-drinking contest where your health bar is a countdown timer.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    like, i won't laugh for ten minutes

and then I'll start chucking

hehe

NiggaDilda

and then I start rolling over in belly laughter

because

dude

NiggaDildo

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Kagera wrote: »

Like women

the game of games

gettin' your limey slimey

• Options
    Like there are people who play nothing but chess

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Podly wrote:
    I must admit

You can only use that word if you're a black dildo.

Otherwise, it's Dildo-American.

"That is our dildo. You have no right using it!"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    jesus fucking christ. my friend said she started signing papers and has a meeting with a recruiter tomorrow. she decided to just enlist after a failed job interview with no idea what that would entail.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    people have motivating factors besides self loathing?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jesus fucking christ. my friend said she started signing papers and has a meeting with a recruiter tomorrow. she decided to just enlist after a failed job interview with no idea what that would entail.

like, in the military?

you should tell her about the incredibly high rates of sexual abuse against women in the military, if you want to discourage her

• Options

This could end bad but could also end good!

• Options

I predict regret in her future.

• Options

greed and lust

also itchiness

• Options

maybe Elendil

was there fighting? i thought it was more of a potion-drinking contest where your health bar is a countdown timer.

After lvl 60 my Conan ripoff has so much health he no longer needs pots. He spends most of his time arranging bugs in bottles in his house. <3

• Options

greed and lust

also itchiness

Also women

• Options

like, in the military?

you should tell her about the incredibly high rates of sexual abuse against women in the military, if you want to discourage her

i don't want to discourage her but i just want her to make an informed decision and she is not.

she mentioned photography and sketches that make a difference as a reason to go.

the hell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i don't want to discourage her but i just want her to make an informed decision and she is not.

Unreasonable decisions are the sort of activity that one may appropriately discourage.

• Options

like, in the military?

she mentioned photography and sketches that make a difference as a reason to go.

the hell.

Sometimes a drastic turn is required. Most times it doesn't end well though. Hopefully it'll be more the former.

• Options

I predict regret in her future.

Probably yes, but even with regret it could still work out alright for her.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    That's a struggle I think about a lot. Would I rather be VERY good at something to the detriment of my being a well-rounded person capable of being existentially ready to deal with whatever life throws my way, or would I rather become so skilled at something that it is a unique lens for homo-sapiens to understand the universe?

Like, I could spend all my money on modular gear and read theoretical signal processing treatises and know fucking EVERYTHING about sound design. But that would be a lot of time spent not actually making music with all that "musical" knowledge. But then I can also just learn a good amount of everything in the music field and be adept at every task but what will it all mean if I don't have that singular voice that makes you actually want to listen to my music.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    .red.red caffeine IV Drip CanadaRegistered User regular

like, in the military?

the hell.

what, is she going to be some sort of wartime photographer :v? That seems like jumping the gun a little.

pasig.png
  • Options
    more importantly i have to take a moment to say that NiggaDildo is a hilarious name and when I looked through that post I stopped. Chuckled. Then scrolled on.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.