As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Computer Build Thread: Old Dead Thread, Read New Thread

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    On smaller chips like 1155 or amd gpus I'll do the grain of rice in the center method. With larger chips like 2011 and nvidia gpus I prefer an x shape with two lines as thin as possible.

With either one I let the mounting pressure of the cooler spread the tim

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i foudn an intersting article that did pictures of the size of paste then seated it, and then removed it to see actual coverage. my memory is hazy but i thin for circular heatsinks/cpu the grain of rice was best for coverage, but for square ones, the x with ah blob in the middle was best

camo_sig.png
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    i foudn an intersting article that did pictures of the size of paste then seated it, and then removed it to see actual coverage. my memory is hazy but i thin for circular heatsinks/cpu the grain of rice was best for coverage, but for square ones, the x with ah blob in the middle was best

You're correct, that's a good article. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the heat isn't necessarily spread evenly throughout the die. That is, the main heat-producing components of a CPU aren't evenly spread out, so having less coverage on the edges isn't necessarily a particularly big deal because you have coverage over the main components under that heat spreader.

That's a good point, and will be even more relevant with ivy bridge given how much space has been given over to the iGPU.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm planning a Sandy Bridge - E build. However, I plan to put 32 gigs of RAM in it (in for a penny, in for a pound). The time it's taking to save up might mean it ends up being an Ivy Bridge - E setup, though...

Are you thinking of going hexcore or staying modest with a 3820?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hexcore, of course. What am I, a scrub?

:^: :^: :^:

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    You should see prices in Australia...

Just the processor and a mobo are going to be like $1000...

*sigh*

That sounds pretty close to what a decent midrange x79 board and 3930k cost here in the states actually

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    case pic inside
    Qm6Gu.jpg

Not the prettiest cable management but it is very functional.

I have not gotten into over clocking the I2500k but the gigabyte windforce 3 7950 is running @ 1000mhz with memory @ 1575. No over volting. Never eve reached 60 degrees. Amazing. I may not even play with over clocking the cpu @ this point.

SSD is so much faster than I thought. Anyways, thanks for the help in the thread.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 OC edition 3GB Video Card
    Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard
    haf 912 case

paid 1450 shipped.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Looks like a sweet build there.

Its great how easy overclocking the 7970/50 is, isn't it?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Looks like a sweet build there.

Its great how easy overclocking the 7970/50 is, isn't it?

Seriously- I didn't even bother with third party stuff... the ati drivers will do it sans overvolting (which is the tricky/dangerous part)

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    I should really see how high I can push my cards on stock volts. I just set 'em to 1100 core and called it a day

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    Hey mojo, how quiet is your setup? Does your card's fan(s) turn off when you turn off your monitor?

455Bo4O.png
  • GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    So because I'm a complete idiot, I've started looking at 27" 120Hz monitors for gaming. Specifically, the Samsung S27A950D and the ASUS VG278H.

The $300 price difference and favourable impressions on the Samsung's 2D performance (colours etc) should make it a no-brainer, but while the 3D is kind of a novelty I don't want to half-ass it. The ASUS has the newish Nvidia 3D Vision 2, which would compliment my SLI 580s a lot better I feel.

Furthermore, I've got big windows behind me so I'm a little concerned by the glossy finish on the Samsung. Hard to tell how much of a difference that would make.

I've worked myself into a fever of wanting to throw money at something unnecessary this week, help me waste it in the best way possible!

I believe @Minor Incident has the samsung, so he can chime in if the gloss is a real issue.

If 3d is something you want you absolutely should grab the ASUS though, as the samsung doesn't play nice with nvidia's 3d.

I've got no first hand experience with any 120hz panels so that's about all I can say on the matter.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    (Just to reiterate BOTP: deciding between a Samsung S27A950D and an ASUS VG278H monitor for 120Hz, 27" and some 3D).

I actually recall Minor getting the Samsung, right around the time I was specing out my first PC build here late last year. His comments almost swayed me into getting one but I'd already blown out my budget massively.

Cheers for the reply though. I briefly tried 3D with my PC on my parents' Samsung TV and it was pretty underwhelming. Granted I didn't have much time to callibrate and tweak but yeah, BF3 was fairly rubbish.

I guess the other issue is 27" at 1080p, my desk is shallow so pixels could be a bit obvious. Prob time for a new desk anyway though.

Well if your heart is set on 120hz you really can't go large and get higher pixel density.

There are a few 1200p 120hz panels floating around I think, but 1440p or 1600p is right out.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Yeah. The lack of bigger 120hz panels is ultimately what decided me on the U3011.

New OP, let me know what you think. I have the old one saved (naturally) and can use it if people find the new one terrible.

proyebat wrote: »
    Hey mojo, how quiet is your setup? Does your card's fan(s) turn off when you turn off your monitor?

really quiet. I cant really hear it unless I manually turn up the fans. For a case with 6 fans, a psu fan, a heat-sink 120mm, and a 3 fan video card its shocking.

I have not tried the monitor off thing but I don't think I can hear the car fans at idle. Ill crack the case and report back tonight.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    New OP, let me know what you think. I have the old one saved (naturally) and can use it if people find the new one terrible.

Really like that it's not a WOT, much less intimidating.

Personally I'd include link to ars, reddit, and logical increments.

I like it alecthar. Simple and to the point with some good suggestions for more in depth information

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend me a wireless adapter for my desktop? I have a PCI port available, and I could also do USB. I'm currently using a really, really cheap USB one, but I recently moved to a new place and am no longer ten feet away from the router but rather two rooms away. Needless to say, I don't currently have internet to my desktop. I'm working on getting a cable connection to that room so that I can use a Cat5, but my landlord is resistant. I'm using an Airport Extreme, and it does B, G, and N, so I would like to take advantage of that.

steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Can anyone recommend me a wireless adapter for my desktop? I have a PCI port available, and I could also do USB. I'm currently using a really, really cheap USB one, but I recently moved to a new place and am no longer ten feet away from the router but rather two rooms away. Needless to say, I don't currently have internet to my desktop. I'm working on getting a cable connection to that room so that I can use a Cat5, but my landlord is resistant. I'm using an Airport Extreme, and it does B, G, and N, so I would like to take advantage of that.

I use a Linksys USB N-adapter. It's worked perfectly for me. All manner of online gaming, from MMOs to shooters. I'm roughly 45 feet (and one wall) from my Airport Extreme, for reference.

My wife's machine is right next to mine an has a Microcenter off-brand USB N-adapter that works just as well.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Woohoo, Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out, and I'm going to give it a spin today. Anyone know if the Windows 7 tricks for putting the user folder on an HDD and keeping the boot on the SSD still works for Win 8?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    proyebat wrote: »

really quiet. I cant really hear it unless I manually turn up the fans. For a case with 6 fans, a psu fan, a heat-sink 120mm, and a 3 fan video card its shocking.

I have not tried the monitor off thing but I don't think I can hear the car fans at idle. Ill crack the case and report back tonight.

Thanks for the feedback; I'd like to hear anything else about it.

455Bo4O.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

I use a Linksys USB N-adapter. It's worked perfectly for me. All manner of online gaming, from MMOs to shooters. I'm roughly 45 feet (and one wall) from my Airport Extreme, for reference.

My wife's machine is right next to mine an has a Microcenter off-brand USB N-adapter that works just as well.

Are you using something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124429 ?

I was looking at another one, and I've bought Rosewill stuff in the past, but it's never been anything related to networking. It does have good reviews, though, and the price is right: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046

steam_sig.png
  • ParielPariel Registered User regular
    I use a Belkin N+ adapter I got for about $20 when I'm home. It worked great through quite a few walls across a large house all summer.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

Are you using something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124429 ?

I was looking at another one, and I've bought Rosewill stuff in the past, but it's never been anything related to networking. It does have good reviews, though, and the price is right: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046

That may be the exact one I'm using, yes. I think in general they're pretty commoditized, but the Linksys one has held up well.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Feeling the upgrade itch again...but the only thing I can think to upgrade is my video card, which is probably the most "antiquated" part of my system...it's a 6870. I really should just wait for Kepler shouldn't I...

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Despite being perfectly happy with my Corsair K90, I'm seriously considering ordering a Das Keyboard or WASD Keyboard with blank keycaps.

Not sure which to try yet. I like being able to customize a few keys with colore keycaps on the WASD, but I've used an old Das before and liked the feel of it a lot.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with WASD?

edited February 2012
    I'm fairly certain all the das boards use cherry switches, so you should be able to easily change the key caps.

Also I'll say that it took a bit of adapting but I am fully converted to blank keycaps now

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So my father insisted to help me finding a good pc at a good price. Heres what he proposed me, or at least all the information he could give me :

Core i5-680 3.6Ghz
    8 GB RAM
    250Go Memory
    Windows 7 Pro 64 Bits
    ATI FirePro v4800 1Gb

I looked around the internet and apparently the Firepro card really isnt meant for gaming. I'm wondering, will I be able to play games like Skyrim, Deus Ex, etc., anyway?

The price would be around 600$, and it comes with a 22'' monitor. He insisted that it was a really good deal considering the monitor and windows 7 came with it (I'm still running on windows XP so if I built a pc from scratch i'd have to buy it, which adds another hundred dollar or so)

Dadouw on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    What's a rock solid Core i5 motherboard with only one PCI-e 2.0 and at least 2 SATA 6gb/s ?

I'm fairly certain all the das boards use cherry switches, so you should be able to easily change the key caps.

Also I'll say that it took a bit of adapting but I am fully converted to blank keycaps now

Oh, yeah, I know you can, but the nice thing about the WASD boards is that you can order them straight away with any colored caps in any position/combination you want, which would be much cheaper than buying a Das and ordering replacement caps after the fact. But still, I'm torn.

I am set on the blank keys. I want to try them out.

@dadouw that firepro is a workstation card, the drivers at least really won't give very good gaming performance. It might be workable but it certainly won't be great.

@jasconius do you need overclocking? If not I'd go with an asus p8h67 board, assuming you're talking about a sandy i5.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    @Dadouw
    workstation card firmware and drivers are heavily optimized to work with cad and rendering programs, they are pretty bad at running modern games. so while you may be able to technically run skyrim, deus ex, etc. it would be on minimum settings.

that i5-680 is also a clarkdale based chip(2 generations ago), so a sandy bridge i3 would out perform it, and run a lot cooler.

You should probably look around a bit more, there should be some better pre-fabs based on new tech for around that same price, or build something yourself.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks a lot

This discussion has been closed.