As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Its not an artifice, its the Reapers whole raison d'etre.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Going back a few pages...
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Genetic modifications!
    The artist took the time to make the characters look like actual people though. Joker looks like Seth Green, Miranda looks like Yvonne Strahovski, Samara looks like Jane Lynch, etc.
    Why the hell is Miranda's skin so freakishly pale? It doesn't match her actual appearance, her hair, or the human spectrum. A couple of shades darker would have been so much better.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    wilting wrote: »
    Because they aren't there to destroy, they are there to reap.
    Klyka wrote:
    They just break resistance and then eat up all the people.

To elaborate, I'm pretty sure it's more complicated than harvesting people and using their material to create more Reapers. They only target intelligent life, and often comment about how they're our salvation. I've been guessing since the first game that they're basically going to be the Inhibitors from Alistair Reynolds' Revelation Space series.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    But the Reapers don't want to blow up any planets or completely destroy all life on them.
    They leave the planet's ecosystem in tact so they can come back 50000 years later and maybe find some new delicious treats on it.

Counterpoint: Unless Mass Effect 3 ends with the Reapers winning and it has the most bleak, unsatifying ending to anything ever; then the Reapers have failed in the grander scheme.

They are machines, unbidden by greed. The greatest threat to their scheme is Earth and the humans. Their existence and identity is known by the galaxy before they arrived, their usual method with the citadel was thwarted. Their technology has been examined, their Plan B was also countered. At this point, Mr Omnipotent God Robot, realize that things might get out of hand, stop blindly trying to Reap things and just wipe the slate clean.

They are immortal. The only reason for them to risk losing for a quick Reaping is impatience. An emotion they have demonstrably not got.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think we should actually see how things play out before we start saying this is how things should happen.

We still know next to nothing about the Reapers(well...I mean I know stuff but I read spoilers).

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    But the Reapers don't want to blow up any planets or completely destroy all life on them.
    They leave the planet's ecosystem in tact so they can come back 50000 years later and maybe find some new delicious treats on it.

Counterpoint: Unless Mass Effect 3 ends with the Reapers winning and it has the most bleak, unsatifying ending to anything ever; then the Reapers have failed in the grander scheme.

They are machines, unbidden by greed. The greatest threat to their scheme is Earth and the humans. Their existence and identity is known by the galaxy before they arrived, their usual method with the citadel was thwarted. Their technology has been examined, their Plan B was also countered. At this point, Mr Omnipotent God Robot, realize that things might get out of hand, stop blindly trying to Reap things and just wipe the slate clean.

They are immortal. The only reason for them to risk losing for a quick Reaping is impatience. An emotion they have demonstrably not got.

Unless they have some programming or purpose that this is directly contrary to. Like, oh, say literally all the evidence in the game points to.

The Reapers do not have human motivations or cost-benefit analysises. Their mission, including the uplifting, may be so important to them as to make nearly total losses acceptable. We literally do not know the stakes they are operating under, or why they are attacking, but they are all fundamentally and absolutely inhuman. It is possible they do not give a shit about their continued existence, or that some program forces them to act in ways against their best interest.

I mean hell, its not like anyone is ever a totally rational actor on Earth and we have a far greater understanding of human psychology than some potential alien robot psychology. They aren't omnipotent, they are driving for some greater purpose and they are playing with ridiculous stakes.

I mean, you're assuming survival is important to them or worth sacrificing their mission for. They probably don't consider that kind of self-preservation.

Z0re on
    edited February 2012
    I'm more inclined to think that the Reapers don't consider defeat a possibility. They have been doing this for millions of years. I'm sure there have been hiccups and losses before (witness the derelict Reaper). So Sovereign and the Collectors got fried. Big whoop. We took out their scouting SCVs. Now they are sending their 200/200 3/3 Battlecruisers.

wilting on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Leinna wrote: »
    Leinna wrote: »
    Cerberus news (spoiler if you're not following it)
    Is it wrong to feel sorry for the Batarians getting slaughtered by the Reapers?

I never thought I would ... But it's fairly harsh even for them :(
    So I guess the batarians are pretty much gone. So that's one war asset none of us will have.
    They're not really gone. Just four eyed husk slaves of the reapers.

Still.. If they can start wiping out the Batarians on the 28th of Feb ... They presumably reach Earth on the 6th of March. Didn't take long to kill all the Batarians. :-/
    It took them one week to consume an entire galactic superpower.

I really hope Shep doesn't fuck around with strippers in ME3.
    Since when are batarians a superpower?

• the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    They only target intelligent life, and often comment about how they're our salvation. I've been guessing since the first game that they're basically going to be the Inhibitors from Alistair Reynolds' Revelation Space series.
    uh, interesting take.
    I keep asking myself why are the Humans so much more interesting to them, among all the species in the Galaxy.
    (besides, of course, being the species almost all of the players are)
    Adaptability? Growth speed? Innovation? Taste?
    They want to learn how to become Vanguards, I think.
    Vanguard Reapers.
    Charge

• GamgeeGamgee Registered User regular
    the_Frollo wrote: »
    They only target intelligent life, and often comment about how they're our salvation. I've been guessing since the first game that they're basically going to be the Inhibitors from Alistair Reynolds' Revelation Space series.
    uh, interesting take.
    I keep asking myself why are the Humans so much more interesting to them, among all the species in the Galaxy.
    (besides, of course, being the species almost all of the players are)
    Adaptability? Growth speed? Innovation? Taste?
    They want to learn how to become Vanguards, I think.
    Vanguard Reapers.
    Charge

D:

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I had no idea that the news network in ME2 was still being updated, then I reinstalled the game last night to finish all the DLC on my 'canon' run.

Bless your heart.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    uh, interesting take.

Mass Effect 2 told us that Humans are the species with the most diverse gene pool.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Unless they have some programming or purpose that this is directly contrary to. Like, oh, say literally all the evidence in the game points to.

The Reapers do not have human motivations or cost-benefit analysises. Their mission, including the uplifting, may be so important to them as to make nearly total losses acceptable. We literally do not know the stakes they are operating under, or why they are attacking, but they are all fundamentally and absolutely inhuman. It is possible they do not give a shit about their continued existence, or that some program forces them to act in ways against their best interest.

I mean hell, its not like anyone is ever a totally rational actor on Earth and we have a far greater understanding of human psychology than some potential alien robot psychology. They aren't omnipotent, they are driving for some greater purpose and they are playing with ridiculous stakes.

I mean, you're assuming survival is important to them or worth sacrificing their mission for. They probably don't consider that kind of self-preservation.

Considering that the Reapers don't capture all people alive, and kill quite a few in the defense of their own ships, it is reasonable to consider that in the grand scheme of all sentient life in the galaxy, one planet of eleven billion sentient beings is a tiny fraction of the total population of worlds, discovered or undiscovered, that contain trillions more.

Your argument is inconsistent. They have killed humans, taking no effort at all to minimise deaths or to maximize captives. Scale this up to the entire galaxy and their behaviour is irrational and contrived.

• the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    uh, interesting take.
    Mass Effect 2 told us that Humans are the species with the most diverse gene pool.
    Good point.
    I mean: why is that so important to the reapers? ME2 spoilers
    Wasn't the Human-Reaper lovebaby some kind of freak experiment gone wrong?
    I was too busy saving lives in ME2 and much must have gone over my head...
    to clarify: If what I spoilered is true and that thing didn't work, them going balls out all hentai on the Earth has no special reason, save being basically revenge? Are they officially pissed off?
    I'll admit I didn't give much credit to the Reapers' motivation, besides them wanting to do bad stuff to everything because WE REAP.
    I accept that, I charge.

the_Frollo on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ok, after a couple of lucky pubbie games I just got an awful silver game. the team "leader" was an idiotic vanguard who got himself killed twice in the first wave, wasted his revives (we were like RIGHT THERE and could have revived him), died again early in the second wave and ragequit. I was like :\

Seriously pubbies. Stop wasting your medkits on the FIRST WAVE! save them for when they're really REALLY needed.

envoy1 on
    edited February 2012
    I'm always at a loss when people start trying to poke holes in the Reaper's actions/motivations. The Reapers have always made perfect sense to me, which is a core reason why Mass Effect is so compelling.

wilting on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Ok, after a couple of lucky pubbie games I just got an awful silver game. the team "leader" was an idiotic vanguard who got himself killed twice in the first wave, wasted his revives (we were like RIGHT THERE and could have revived him), died again early in the second wave and ragequit. I was like :\

Seriously pubbies. Stop wasting your medkits on the FIRST WAVE! save them for when they're really REALLY needed.

This has pretty much been my experience playing with random people on any difficulty above silver.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I'm always at a loss when people start trying to pole holes in the Reaper's actions/motivations. The Reapers have always made perfect sense to me, which is a core reason why Mass Effect is so compelling.

I always thought of the Reaper's as slightly less like the Geth and more like Cyborg beings. As in, the indoctrinated beings they convert into Reaper's have a sort of hive-mind within their Reaper shell? Has anyone clearly stated they are Machine-Intelligences or was it all just thought so?

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular

This has pretty much been my experience playing with random people on any difficulty above silver.

Fixed for what I find.

People are waaaaaaay too quick on the medigels, most of the time. I can get to you, I'm just not going to do it before I kill the turret that has a view of where I'd be reviving you, genius.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    the_Frollo wrote:
    uh, interesting take.
    Good point.
    I mean: why is that so important to the reapers? ME2 spoilers
    Wasn't the Human-Reaper lovebaby some kind of freak experiment gone wrong?
    I was too busy saving lives in ME2 and much must have gone over my head...
    to clarify: If what I spoilered is true and that thing didn't work, them going balls out all hentai on the Earth has no special reason, save being basically revenge? Are they officially pissed off?
    I'll admit I didn't give much credit to the Reapers' motivation, besides them wanting to do bad stuff to everything because WE REAP.
    I accept that, I charge.

I think the reapers are fishing for gold in a vast pile of mud, and they think that humanity has a good chance of being the gold they are looking for. If not for that, I'm sure they would just blast earth to pieces and move on. Heck, they don't have time to spend weeks on every planet with a thorough Reaping, it would take 50000 years for them to get done with the galaxy. They wouldn't need dark space because they would simply never leave, just reaping around and around.

edit - And, there are probably tens of thousands of Reapers, while their first strike is on earth I'm sure other fleets are on their way to other systems. Also, they aren't that worried about delays because they don't think they can lose. Our weapons are useless against them.

The Reapers are almost certainly 'evil' in my opinion, they say they are our salvation in the way humans might say we are the salvation of cows. Without us, cows wouldn't exist as they are, but we aren't keeping them around for the good of the cows. The reapers are breeding life to try and get something from it, allowing just enough time for a few interesting things to happen and then moving in to kill everything and steal it.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited February 2012
    Kainy wrote: »

Fixed for what I find.

People are waaaaaaay too quick on the medigels, most of the time. I can get to you, I'm just not going to do it before I kill the turret that has a view of where I'd be reviving you, genius.

Oh...I mean above bronze. That doesn't change what you were saying though.

That being said people are also not frugal enough with rockets.

It's like "We've got the Altas half-dead." "Fuck this shit, I'm using a rocket." "But it's already..." "Too late!"

Dragkonias on
    There are two circumstances under which to use a rocket:

1) It is wave 9/10, things are getting hairy, and that Atlas needs to be dealt with right now.
    2) It is wave 10, your objective is to destroy enemy targets, and the target is an Atlas.

Well "our weapons are useless against them" doesn't really count when the Turians have reverse engineered Sovereign's weapons after just 11 months and at a size so they fit on a frigate, giving it the firepower of a battleship!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Goddamn do I hate when people use medigel in an early wave or when a wave is almost over. It really isn't a big deal if you die when there are 5 enemies left in the wave, guys.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Goddamn do I hate when people use medigel in an early wave or when a wave is almost over. It really isn't a big deal if you die when there are 5 enemies left in the wave, guys.
    It's their medigel, what do you care?

But they can't use it later then, when it's actually necessary/usefull. You can only use two medigel per game.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Longer, spoiler-y video tour of the new Normandy:
    Really, it has spoilers.
    It gives a brief, obscured view of one of the unannounced squad mates. It also shows Kelly Chambers' replacement, who's FemShep's new same-sex romance. It also shows the new DudeShep same-sex romance, or at least where he stands, in-game. It also shows an in-game holo-pic of the endgame McGuffin.

Click Here.

• RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Damn it. I want a more thorough look at the new Normandy, but I do not want to be spoiled.

blondeshep.jpg
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    SPOILERS REGARDING SECRET NON DLC SQUADMATE
    That video shows EDI still in robot body near Joker in the cockpit. Why wouldn't she...untether from the robot while on the ship?

• jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote:
    I'm always at a loss when people start trying to pole holes in the Reaper's actions/motivations. The Reapers have always made perfect sense to me, which is a core reason why Mass Effect is so compelling.

I always thought of the Reaper's as slightly less like the Geth and more like Cyborg beings. As in, the indoctrinated beings they convert into Reaper's have a sort of hive-mind within their Reaper shell? Has anyone clearly stated they are Machine-Intelligences or was it all just thought so?

My original thought from ME1 was that Reapers were originally organic beings. I can't remember if this is cannon or something that I've made up. I kind of thought of them along the lines of the cymeks in the dune prequels. Except... not written by horrible, horrible people. Basically organic beings receiving such advanced upgrades to their biology that eventually they are sentient minds in giant immortal shells that last forever and continually upgrade themselves. Add 1 million years or so and you got a healthy god complex and complete detachment from all biological life.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
    Razia wrote: »
    Damn it. I want a more thorough look at the new Normandy, but I do not want to be spoiled.

I can't believe they spoiled me on the indoctrinated fishtank!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    That video shows EDI still in robot body near Joker in the cockpit. Why wouldn't she...untether from the robot while on the ship?

Actually...in the ME artbook...
    It shows that EDI used a special chair that uplinks her to the Normandy. Not sure if that's changed but I think it is still the case.

I can't believe they spoiled me on the indoctrinated fishtank!

Ha. Ha.

blondeshep.jpg

The nature (but no details) of the spoilers in the longer Normandy video:
    The video doesn't give much away if you've seen character scans from the art book and played the demo. It doesn't really give any plot away.

ChaosHat wrote: »

Actually...in the ME artbook...
    It shows that EDI used a special chair that uplinks her to the Normandy. Not sure if that's changed but I think it is still the case.

Okay that makes more sense.

Minor spoilers re: normandy video.
    Liara's office looks SOOOOO cool. I also like the general look of the Normandy. There are cables and shit all over the place and signs of construction here and there which make it seem like they took it while it was still being retrofitted for the Alliance. And that's awesome.

htm wrote: »

The nature (but no details) of the spoilers in the longer Normandy video:
    The video doesn't give much away if you've seen character scans from the art book and played the demo. It doesn't really give any plot away.

Well, I do about character already.

Fuck it, I'll give it a watch.

blondeshep.jpg
    I don't mind getting spoiled on things because I feel like it's ultimately the journey of it that's fun, and investing way too much time and speculation into things just makes it more likely I'll be irritated at the end. Knowing the ending of ME2 beforehand let me get over the "OH MY GOD WHAT THE SHIT IS THAT THAT IS SO FUCKING LAME" reaction so I could just enjoy it more beforehand.

It's like when Nintendo announced the name of the Wii before E3 so people would talk about things other than "OMG DID YOU HEAR WHAT THE NAME IS? WII WTF IS THAT? OH ALSO MOTION CONTROLS OR SOMETHING."

Yeah. I'm the same. I can get spoiled for days, but until I actually have something in my own hands I won't really care.

For me it just feeds into my hype, and I like speculating about things a lot, so a lot of plot spoilers tend to be "whats" and not hows or whys. I think in this kind of game the how and the why are super important.

And I kind of like knowing where I start, and where it's going, but not necessarily how it gets there, and in a game like ME3 there are lots and lots of ways to get there.

Yeah. I'm the same. I can get spoiled for days, but until I actually have something in my own hands I won't really care.

I'm one of those people who mostly enjoy spoilers. If I remember correctly, the 360 and PC versions of ME2 leaked before it shipped, and I watched the live streams.

That being said, at this point, nested spoiler tags seem only courteous for our non-rotten friends.

Spoilers about Garrus from Normandy ship video.
    I love that they decided to take the "Calibrations" joke and run with it.