As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON]SPACE MARINE OUT NOW! Co-op news/steam group in OP.

• KogKog Registered User regular
    Made the purchase all worth it. Kill Team is pretty meh, but it IS a challenging game at least. The multiplayer in Space Marine is some.of the best balanced gameplay I've ever played. No camping, no "bullshit" perks and killstreaks, and no unfair weapons that EVERYONE is using. As far as I'm concerned games could take a few pointers from Space Marine.

Also, I loved the story, mostly because it gives you an insight into
    just how fucked up The Inquisition is

Gamertag: KiggidyKOG - The troll formerly known as Dissolution.

Playing: Forza Motorsport 4 & Warhammer 40k: Space Marine.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Kog wrote:
    no "bullshit" perks

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiinal Vengeance. Mostly just because almost every god damn assault out there runs that perk and instead of learning the class, they just charge at you in full retard mode and then Emprah help you if you find yourself unable to get out of the way due to being in a bad spot.

They story really is fantastic though. You can kinda tell who's versed in their 40k and who isn't cause the ones that aren't tend to grumble about the ending being a god damn cliffhanger. The ones who are know that that's just a run of the mill 40k story ending, ESPECIALLY if it's a story written by Dan Abnett (Ravenor being a really good example of that)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The stalker is the most BS as it gets, and that only in the fact it makes the normal bolter useless, it really isn't overpowered.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I hardly know anything about 40k and I thought the ending wasn't much of a cliffhanger. I mean, the bad guy friggin' exploded after you crushed his skull with your bear hands.

edited January 2012
    Morkath wrote:
    The stalker is the most BS as it gets, and that only in the fact it makes the normal bolter useless, it really isn't overpowered.

The standard Bolter with both of its perks is pretty damn frightening.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I never play multiplayer for the most part, but I love Space Marine's. Deaths don't feel unfair at all, since there aren't any perks/weapons that break the game. More people need to get the Chaos Unleashed pack though.

I also loved the story. Heck, this is the game that started my long descent down the rabbithole of 40k stuff. Now I'm reading novels and wikis, I picked up and adored Dawn of War II, fantasizing about a big-budget movie... stuff that fans of 40k have been doing for years and years. I think a Space Marine 2 that focused on a completely different character could be just as, if not more, effective than continuing Titus' story.

Thing thing about The Inquisition is...Titus' story IS done.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Kog wrote:
    no "bullshit" perks

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiinal Vengeance. Mostly just because almost every god damn assault out there runs that perk and instead of learning the class, they just charge at you in full retard mode and then Emprah help you if you find yourself unable to get out of the way due to being in a bad spot.

They story really is fantastic though. You can kinda tell who's versed in their 40k and who isn't cause the ones that aren't tend to grumble about the ending being a god damn cliffhanger. The ones who are know that that's just a run of the mill 40k story ending, ESPECIALLY if it's a story written by Dan Abnett (Ravenor being a really good example of that)

A patch or two ago they increased the timer on final vengeance by a decent amount and its actually dodgable most of the time as long as you are paying attention. Quite a bit more so then it used to be at least.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Kog wrote:
    Thing thing about The Inquisition is...Titus' story IS done.

Don't go jumping the gun, The Inquisition may be a bag of geese, but an Astartes is not something to waste over the mere POSSIBILITY that maybe there is something chaos-related going on. To say nothing of what the rest of the Smurfs may or may not do after learning of what happened.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    To me it seemed
    that the Inquisition swept him away black bag style, claiming that he may have corrupted his entire squad, only to cover the possibility of corruption within the Inquisition itself.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Kog wrote:
    To me it seemed
    that the Inquisition swept him away black bag style, claiming that he may have corrupted his entire squad, only to cover the possibility of corruption within the Inquisition itself.
    Unless the inquisition was already suspecting Drogan of being corrupted, the only people that knew he accidentally some chaos was Titus's squad, and Leandros was more worried about Titus being chaos than Drogan, what with Drogan having turned out to be a meat puppet by that point.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Kog wrote:
    To me it seemed
    Unless the inquisition was already suspecting Drogan of being corrupted, the only people that knew he accidentally some chaos was Titus's squad, and Leandros was more worried about Titus being chaos than Drogan, what with Drogan having turned out to be a meat puppet by that point.
    deathwatch!

belaraphon on
    belaraphon.png
    belaraphon wrote:
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Kog wrote:
    To me it seemed
    deathwatch!
    Being a player in a Deathwatch game run by an awesome GM, that doesn't feel nearly as exciting as it should, because I know it would never be able to live up to the shenanigans that Alpha Squad has pulled off.

belaraphon wrote:
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Kog wrote:
    To me it seemed
    deathwatch!
    I dunno, throwing someone with abnormal resistance to the warp into the Death Watch doesn't seem too fitting. I wouldn't be surprised if they toss his ass into the Grey Knights.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    I dunno, throwing someone with abnormal resistance to the warp into the Death Watch doesn't seem too fitting. I wouldn't be surprised if they toss his ass into the Grey Knights.
    One is not simply tossed into the Grey Knights.
    For a start, they aren't a cross-chapter special forces section like the Deathwatch; they're their own independent chapter that recruits psykers exclusively.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited January 2012
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    One is not simply tossed into the Grey Knights.
    For a start, they aren't a cross-chapter special forces section like the Deathwatch; they're their own independent chapter that recruits psykers exclusively.
    I don't really know much about the Grey Knights tbh, save for the nightmare stories I've heard about them thanks to Matt Ward.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/dreadnoughts-coming-warhammer-40000-space-marine

I wouldn't have expected any vehicles or the like until the sequel, but I guess it's no different controlling a giant stompy shooty thing as compared to a quite large stompy shooty thing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Only for PvP multiplayer though, it looks like. That's a shame; I would have liked to have had a chance to cut a swathe through some orks with it.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Oh yay a Lagnaught.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Oh yay a Lagnaught.

I LAG FOR THE EMPEROR!!!! BE PURGED BY P2P!

Dreadnaught DLC is out, gave it a whirl.

Oh my word is being the dread an awesome feeling. Mowing guys down with your autocannon, power clawing those silly hammer wielding loyalists.

Didn't get too much experience with being on the receiving end, but the one time it came up it did not go well, mostly because people hadn't yet caught on to the concept of FOCUS FIRE ON THE BIG THING.

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    Too bad it splits the stagnant MP community even further and doesn't add any single player or coop awesomeness

• SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Yeah, they really fucked up the post-release support for this game. Too much DLC, not enough attention to detail on the shit they already shoved out the door.

Between my bad experiences with this and the Retribution expansion for DoW 2, I think I'll be holding off on a DoW 3 purchase until it goes on sale.

I really just can't play the game anymore because the sound stuttering is so bad and almost constant during combat. That still hasn't been fixed, and I know a lot of people had that problem.

Interestingly, Ever since my new computer, I haven't had the stuttering. I'm not sure if it's because of the better drivers in my USB headset or because of the fact that it's not an ancient shitpile of a computer.

Wasn't the stuttering related to something fucky regarding USB stuff? Like certain gamepads causing the game to go apeshit or something like that?

I could be incredibly wrong and thinking of a different game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Still playing this and having a blast... Did they halve the grenade allowances recently though? I seem to only have one, and 2 with the wargear perk.

Witchsight.png
    Witchsight wrote:
    Still playing this and having a blast... Did they halve the grenade allowances recently though? I seem to only have one, and 2 with the wargear perk.

They halved the amount you start with, you can still loot up to 2 (4 with perk)

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Did they make it so you could get unlocks in Last Stand or the Chaos equivalent? Or just level based unlocks?

Are you the magic man?
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Only level based unlocks.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Hey this is one sale on steam for 66%. Everything except the DLC that just came out (Dreadnaught) is on sale. So like 3.25 for the Chaos unleashed stuff.

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    This game is fantastic. Exterminatus is a great multiplayer mode.

I hope that they put Thousand Sons armour in the game at some point.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    I know this thread is pretty quiet, but Space Marine is on sale on Amazon right now (till February ends I suppose), but only 50% off I think. More importantly though, all the DLC is 66% or so off. Is there any DLC worth the salt?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
    Chaos Unleashed and the Dreadnaught are apparently quite good. I have chaos unleashed but haven't played it yet.

Dreadnaught seems cool, cause you know, play as a dreadnaught!

I think the power sword actually unlocks the power sword in multiplayer.

The rest are just skins.

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, my brother and I played some Exterminatus last night.

Holy Shit. Why did I wait so long to try this?

Also, for some reason, you don't get an XP when you retry a level, so we played our first map (and died, rather quickly) like 3 or 4 times before we got any XP (finally making it to level 2! A heavy bolter is me!).

So damn fun.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Initiates! As being the Warhammer 40k gaming nerd (I have played DOW1/Winter Assault/Dark Crusade. DoW2/Chaos Rising/Retribution, Space Marine. I have read some of the foulest dirges of the earth, those that do not meet minimum quality to be in the Black Library, fan fictions [For shits and giggles]. I have also read Horus Rising and False Gods. I've read the shit out of Lexicanum) I shall lead you whelps into battle, either as upstanding angels of death for the Emprah! or as corrupted merciless Chaos Marines! Call upon me when in battle and you are in need, I shall be there (Most of the time)! I also lead a Warband/Imperial Guard army in the Aurelia system.

So like you wanna play games?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay, so ... How do you actually get a multiplayer game of this going?

My brother and I have been two-manning some Exterminatus, which always ends in wave 2. One living marine is just not enough to hold off hordes of bad guys for 20s waiting for the other guy to come back.

We played a public Exterminatus game, and got one person to join in. (Another joined, but then left before the match really got going.) Soo much more fun with more people.

Then, we decided to try the Vs. mode. This consisted of us picking some combination of game type and map set, and then sitting there for 5 minutes while the game searched for matches, found 1, then discounted it as a potential match, and then another 5 minutes of searching. So we tried another combination, and the same thing happened.

We eventually played some 1-on-1 death match because I need to go to bed (he won, 5-4), but seriously; how do I get a more populated game of this going?

That mimics my experiences, except after a while I got matched in to a 7v7? (whatever the max is) deathmatch, which has happened a few times now.

I'd be keen to play exterminatus with you, hit me up on steam if you see me around.

steam_sig.png