As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I've been so addicted to this that I'm almost done with the Deadly Descents. Hahaha.

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Why is my main man Griff the "Bad Guy"? I loved that kid back in SSX3!

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Alright, I really don't get the scoring system. Here's what just happened, explain it please...

I let go of a manual a second too soon, cash in my combo right before going off a ledge. The 'you got Silver' thing pops up. I rewind a half second and stay in my combo, do a huge air. I continue down the rest of the run, still in the same combo, still in Super Tricky the whole time. I never crash or rewind again.

At the end, I got Bronze.

Okay, watching closer...this time when I cashed in my combo, I got -100k from it. What's going on?

Oh, I see now. If you crash, end your combo, and rewind...it doesn't let you keep your combo. You go back to 60 tricks, sure...with a -5k score. Not the 300k or whatever you had -5k. Just -5k. That's pretty shitty.

So, rewinding is useless. If you ever accidentally crash, you might as well just restart. Why is it even in the game? The only possible use for it is undoing duplicated tricks.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've had the game for like 3 hours now and haven't played it because I have been futzing around trying to get custom soundtracks set up on the PS3. Currently in the process of copying 8+ gigs of music from a flash drive to my PS3 so I can listen to good music while I play rather than an entire setlist of bands I have never heard of. After hearing that the whole remixing of songs depending on whats happening works with custom soundtracks I definitely was not going to play this with the default music. Then again I am usually disappointed with soundtrack choices in most games. SSX On Tour was the best of the SSX games soundtracks but that is not saying much, but it did have some good stuff.

(She/Her)
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    just beat the deadly descent for gravity, with no wing suit
    holy shiiiiiiit

• gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    Done with the main story. Oh man, those last two races are just ridiculous, and those headlamp races weren't much better. But I think my favorite descents were Everest and Antarctica, lots of fun and a big emphasis on gofast

I also did some explore mode and realized that I'm not in the OP list. My PSN name is the same as on here, Gunwarrior. I'm gonna go through the op list and send a out a few friend requests.

Man, the PS3 is such complete ass for custom soundtracks. SSX lets me choose either an artist, album, genre, or playlist for each type of event. Unfortunately playlists can only have 512 songs. I am wondering if it will work if I take these tracks and change the tags for genre to just Music, and pick that.

(She/Her)
    Oh man, survive it events in explore mode are crazy. If you make it through, you go back to the top and keep going until you can't anymore

• AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

So, rewinding is useless. If you ever accidentally crash, you might as well just restart. Why is it even in the game? The only possible use for it is undoing duplicated tricks.

Yeah, I noticed it the first few times I rewind. I really think it's just there for the more difficult maps with death drops.

I have to wait till next week. Oh well.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I love everything about this game

Everything about it is so slick and fucking polished that it's both sexy and aggravating that other games aren't near this level

Badges with tracking. 599 Geotags to collect. CUSTOMIZABLE, REMIXABLE MUSIC. And you can even choose which albums, artists, playlists, etc. for each mode. That's insane and awesome, as it lets me set the perfect tone.

I'm currently rolling with Gorillaz during races (since they're pretty heavy on sampling and remixes, I thought it would be a good fit), Kanye West during trick events (just great music to dick around to), Noise for survival (a playlist of a bunch of noisy bands, like White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sex Bob-omb, since I thought it would fit the frantic nature of the courses) and the Cardigans for the menu music (because they're awesome and the kind of calming but upbeat music that menu music should have).

The moment I did that first run down the dark tunnels (where armor is introduced), just boosting all the way with "Stylo" pulsing in the background, I realized it was one of my most fun gaming moments in ages, and that this is an early contender for GOTY 2012.

UnbreakableVow on
    i really like the deadly descents, especially after trying some of them without the gear you are supposed to use. beating the tough course with no armor is a breeze, but i bet the ice pick one is a nightmare without them (i was going off the edges constantly WITH an ice pick). overall they did a good job of making it not feel gimmicky; though the thin air DD was absolutely obnoxious.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Wait so you can import your own music, not just change the prder of default tracks?

Is this on both platforms?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited February 2012
    Holy shit

Guess who just got into the Diamond bracket (55,000,000+ score) of the global event

gunwarrior on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm really bad at this game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Watching the giantbomb quicklook really makes me want this game.

Never expected this game to hook me this much, but demo pretty much sold me. There are still some elements of the controls and the physics that occasionally makes the game squirly as shit, but I didn't really expect it to be this fun.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah how do you import music on the 360? That custom-soundtrack feature is something I haven't dicked with since about the first month I had the system back in 2006

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The Survive stuff is definitely the worst. A narrow track full of trees where I have to go as slow as possible and only make tiny, precise jumps. Yes, that's what I want.

I'm literally not even paying attention to the Survive levels. After Explore mode opened up after the third World Tour event, I never looked at World Tour again. Fuck that shit, I don't need that in my SSX, just give me mountains to board down!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Goddamn, Global Events hit that nerve. That evil, sadistic, "THAT HIGH SCORE IS MOCKING ME I MUST CRUSH IT FINGERS BE DAMNED" nerve that drove me to endless rounds of Pacificism on Geometry Wars 2.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited February 2012
    Would it be possible to run my iPod to my 360 and use that for my soundtracks? I already use it on other games...

SkyTurnsRed on
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    Done with the main story. Oh man, those last two races are just ridiculous, and those headlamp races weren't much better. But I think my favorite descents were Everest and Antarctica, lots of fun and a big emphasis on gofast

I also did some explore mode and realized that I'm not in the OP list. My PSN name is the same as on here, Gunwarrior. I'm gonna go through the op list and send a out a few friend requests.

The last race was awesome. Tough, but awesome.

Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah how do you import music on the 360? That custom-soundtrack feature is something I haven't dicked with since about the first month I had the system back in 2006
    if you have music copied to the HDD from a CD, you can use that. otherwise, you should plug in a flash drive or MP3 player and see if the 360 recognizes it. you access the music player through the guide button at any time, and chose from there as well.
    Would it be possible to run my iPod to my 360 and use that for my soundtracks? I already use it on other games...
    yes! you will be prompted to download a small compatibility patch, and then it should work fine if you have it connected via USB

gunwarrior wrote: »
    Holy shit

Guess who just got into the Diamond bracket (55,000,000+ score) of the global event

damn impressive! my highest score was in the 35 mil range, need to up my game.

• KatyaKatya Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    gunwarrior wrote:
    Oh man, survive it events in explore mode are crazy. If you make it through, you go back to the top and keep going until you can't anymore

There's a great Survive It Global Event on Intrepid that you might like. You can get into the Platinum range after surviving 7500 m (approx 3 runs), pays out over 500k in like 15 hours. To get into Diamond, however, is like 39000 m which is like 15 runs in a row! Insane. Lots of cloudy conditions come in after each successive run. It's awesome.

Katya on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man some of the courses just have crevasses everywhere. Oops, fell in a whole, might as well restart.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    Yea the people saying that its impossible to crash and the game is too easy are crazy. Some of these runs are not fucking around

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Didn't know if you dudes knew or not, but all this week you can get a free game rental from Redbox if you reserve online.

SSX is available.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You people are filling me with great amounts of shame towards my own (lack of) ability.

I'm over the damn moon if I get Gold on a Global Event.

Edit: oh man I love the little remixes it does with your custom playlists. Concept Of Love works incredibly well when there tons of grinds (for obvious reasons).

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    edited February 2012
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Man some of the courses just have crevasses everywhere. Oops, fell in a whole, might as well restart.

Yeah, no kidding. Messed around with this a bit last night after getting my custom soundtrack working(Finally). Its fun, though I miss the course design of say SSX On Tour where it was near impossible to land out of bounds and have to reset, and when you did you still had a chance at placing in the race. In this one the edges of the level are very visible, and giant gaps in the terrain fuck you over as rewinding is useless and you might as well start the event over.

edit: Also, whats the longest run in this game? I absolutely loved that SSX3 run of all 3 peaks that took like 20+ minutes.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    Ugh. I will be damned if that's what SSX stands for. That's just silly. Super Snow Cross for life.

sigcx.jpg
  • blueArcanablueArcana Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I heard you could stream music from your pc with wmv or zune, on the 360 at least. Not sure about PS3

blueArcana on
    Holy shit, Africa. Some crazy rollercoaster rails in that one.

I hope we get an SSX Classics DLC somewhere down the line. Mu nostalgia is being tweaked hard by this game, and I wanna shred some of the old courses again, hopefully made a little larger and with current gen polishes.

ygPIJ.gif
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I would pay cash monies for an SSX3 mountain DLC.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    How are you leveling up these other characters in the regular solo mode? I got that first chick up to Level 4 and now I gotta play with like a supermodel in Siberia but her stats won't go up at all.

edited March 2012
    Allforce wrote: »
    How are you leveling up these other characters in the regular solo mode? I got that first chick up to Level 4 and now I gotta play with like a supermodel in Siberia but her stats won't go up at all.

Are you sure she isn't leveling? My supermodel in Siberia is level 4.

EDIT: You mean in the world tour mode, right?

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
    Oh I just looked and they are, I guess I was used to seeing that bar fill before for the first girl you're given.

edited March 2012
    I can't wait to get World Tour knocked out so I can dive into the REAL game: Explore.

I really need to get better if I'm going to be throwing my scores at you guys, because apparently when I signed up for this I actually signed up to go into score combat with a bunch of unfeeling high score-generating Terminators.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Still not in the PS3 list. :( Oh well I'll just add a couple of people from the list!

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Crazy RobotCrazy Robot Registered User regular
    Finally am playing the game. I'm going through the main story and all that jazz. It's good to have this series back.

Feel free to add me to your PSN friends if you need more competition. My name's Alien-Six

3DS Friend Code: 1478-4479-7610
    PSN: Alien-Six
    Steam: Alien Six
    Please add me to the xbox 360 list. My tag is fireboy80x.

Anybody here please feel free to add me. I will be playing the hell out of this, but only one person on my friends list is buying this :(

I'm going to shoot some requests to the xbox list.

sigcx.jpg
  • HandfalconHandfalcon Registered User regular
    Got it but havn't powered it up yet. Add handfalcon to the PS3 friends list for some easy victories for you! Or easy whatever happens against mediocre players...

steam_sig.png