As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Dont forget free trials are now endless trials, and are up to level 40 (Which is only 15 levels below the cap.). But you have to make a new account to activate this if you are on a trial, for some reason.
    Wait. What. REALLY?!

Shit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Apparently the high quality graphics engine still does not have AA and you can't force it via your graphics card. Awesome. :(

All that pretty lighting and shadows and such aren't so pretty with zomg jaggies.
    Apparently the high quality graphics engine still does not have AA and you can't force it via your graphics card. Awesome. :(

All that pretty lighting and shadows and such aren't so pretty with zomg jaggies.

Yeah i was pretty surprised when it still didnt have AA. Kinda defeats the purpose imo.

Hula and I are also organizing a new Legion (guild) in game now as well for when it all goes f2p. Just need to think of a name...

I was thinking: Project N15 he he he he

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I have no opinion on the name of the guild but if it's on the server(s) I'm on (vaizel for elyos zikel for asmo) I'd like in.

It should be the severs reactivates are on if they played with PA at launch since I never moved my guys and via merges its where I ended up.

But talk of making a legion just brings back "fond" memories of the clusterfuck of launch with that random duder who made an account just for the Aion thread, declared himself leader of the legion(s) and started dictating everything. Good times, good times.

EDIT: Should Project N15 mean something to me?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited March 2012
    Ok so official Info for the guild.

Guild name: Seven Nation Army

Server: Israphel

Contacts for guild: Borntohula, Rakuso (so far, will add plenty of officers as i get everyone gathered in the legion/guild.)

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    I have no opinion on the name of the guild but if it's on the server(s) I'm on (vaizel for elyos zikel for asmo) I'd like in.

It should be the severs reactivates are on if they played with PA at launch since I never moved my guys and via merges its where I ended up.

But talk of making a legion just brings back "fond" memories of the clusterfuck of launch with that random duder who made an account just for the Aion thread, declared himself leader of the legion(s) and started dictating everything. Good times, good times.

EDIT: Should Project N15 mean something to me?

I have a bunch of chars on Vaizel too. But i figured since a lot of the PAers will be brand new to the game now, that people wouldnt mind starting from scratch with them. I started all over again, and Isaphel is very well populated where as when i logged on Vaizel on my other characters it wasnt nearly as much.

So, what race will most people be playing on Israphel?

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited February 2012
    heenato wrote:
    So, what race will most people be playing on Israphel?

we're all on Elyos side at the moment. We\ve got around 6 people in the Legion already I think, but we just started it a few hours ago. all of us are low level. I'm also making it so that the vast majority of members have the ability to invite people into the legion, i figure that will promote growth a lot better and people will be able to get in easier.

Elimination on
    edited February 2012
    Elyos? Alright. I'll go make my new account then. (grumble)

Uuuugh. This is almost killing my desire to play the game. This was a REALLY dumb decision.

Edit: How good is Aion's support? I sent in a ticket seeing if my account can be swapped over to the correct trial?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    It is ncsoft. So really good for CoX and were decent for Aion (over a year ago, haven't played in ages). Not sure if they are still as cautious to avoid account theft, there was a lot of it going on.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Downloading this 4,400kb/s :o I'll make a toon on Israphel and join The Lookouts.

(wtf is Project N15?)

I'll make a character on Israphel but man starting over again really doesn't sound appealing. I wish I could move all my money from Vaizel at least.

Ok so, some news....I was gifted just over 14 million kinah, and a whole crapton of epic level gear from a guy i met who is quitting. He also gifted me his entire legion, which is level 3 (almost max level.) and its members are all inactive other than him. He just made me general (leader) of this legion. It also has a legion warehouse full to the brim with thousands of crafting materials, and 13.5 million kinah.

Soooo, we should transfer to this new legion, and tweak it. I will be changing its name to The Lookouts, once we all transfer over. So it will be like we never left, except we will have a high level legion, and be a lot richer.

For now Docshifty is Lookouts leader till we all transfer over. The new legions name is Seven Nation Army, till I change it.

edited February 2012
    Not to be presumptuous but any plans for that kinah? If I make a character there I'd be giving up about 15mil myself on Vaizel (granted, I don't have to delete those characters or anything). Use it to help people get established, maybe some folks power level tradeskills or something?

EDIT: Also just for poeple who haven't played in awhile, broker everything. If it isn't bound, chances are you can sell it for good kinah. Particuarly any greens you find in the starter area can usually net a decent amount (for low levels anyway). AFAIK you still can't access the broker until you complete the starter zone, but hold onto what you can. Prioritize greens and manastones such as +crit and damage ones (ones like block and evade are generally worth very little). Plus manastones stack so they're a good use of the limited starter inventory space.

Played right, and with good luck on drops, you can easily net 500k+ just from random crap you don't need early on.

Is Israphel one of the servers that you get bonus xp tokens for creating Elyos on?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited February 2012
    Made a Mage (going Sorc) on israphel. IGN Elizabethia if someone is on in the new legion that can invite. EDIT: If you can even invite prior to ascension.

EDIT2: ZOMG so many people. I recall why it takes me so long to ascend whenever I play. I spend so much damn time gathering herbs and materials.

The Dude With Herpes on

Not to be presumptuous but any plans for that kinah? If I make a character there I'd be giving up about 15mil myself on Vaizel (granted, I don't have to delete those characters or anything). Use it to help people get established, maybe some folks power level tradeskills or something?

EDIT: Also just for poeple who haven't played in awhile, broker everything. If it isn't bound, chances are you can sell it for good kinah. Particuarly any greens you find in the starter area can usually net a decent amount (for low levels anyway). AFAIK you still can't access the broker until you complete the starter zone, but hold onto what you can. Prioritize greens and manastones such as +crit and damage ones (ones like block and evade are generally worth very little). Plus manastones stack so they're a good use of the limited starter inventory space.

Played right, and with good luck on drops, you can easily net 500k+ just from random crap you don't need early on.

Is Israphel one of the servers that you get bonus xp tokens for creating Elyos on?

Yeah im gonna use it to help people get established for sure. We just cant touch the kinah for a few days because the guy i got the guild off of told me he wants to dump some more kinah in there and wants to see the total or some such after tomorrow. He said then his account is up, hes quitting.

edited February 2012
    Thats cool.

So, playing with the high quality graphics, despite the jaggies and man alive everything from animations to lighting is substantially better. I might just put up with the lack of AA because it is purdy. EDIT And the way the grass and stuff animates just makes everything feel more alive and less like set pieces.

I hope they add in AA to it eventually though I doubt my computer could handle it.

The Dude With Herpes on

Apparently you can't send tells below level 11. Elizabethia is me

• ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if there is a way to manually patch or if there is some config file you can change to point to the Gameforge EU servers using the NA client? The Gameforge patcher uses P2P from what I gather and that's banned here.

Scroffus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a way to manually patch or if there is some config file you can change to point to the Gameforge EU servers using the NA client? The Gameforge patcher uses P2P from what I gather and that's banned here.

I dont think thats possible.

Thats cool.

So, playing with the high quality graphics, despite the jaggies and man alive everything from animations to lighting is substantially better. I might just put up with the lack of AA because it is purdy. EDIT And the way the grass and stuff animates just makes everything feel more alive and less like set pieces.

I hope they add in AA to it eventually though I doubt my computer could handle it.

I agree, i flicked on high quality and geez. It just looks soooo much better, i forgot all about the AA. The lighting i find makes it so i barely even notice any jaggies at my res.

Ok, wtf are "AFK Dredge" groups? All morning I saw people spamming for it.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So... I had to create an entirely new NCsoft Master Account cause... fucking derp? =/

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    Ok, wtf are "AFK Dredge" groups? All morning I saw people spamming for it.

Join a Dredgion battle, be as lazy as possible with usually a handful doing some objectives and the rest sitting in the beginning. It's most peoples answer to getting placed against Stormwing/Brigade General gear level people where you have zero chance I would guess.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Apparently all the problems I've been having with trading/mail/warehouses are "Working as Intended" according to the GM who handled my ticket...
    While on the forums the Community Coordinator has been telling people to contact support about the error to get it fixed.. also on twitter:
    And between writing this and posting, I found more information.
    http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showpost.php?p=1251805&postcount=9
    Yay, going to have to wait on Korea for a fix!

edited February 2012
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Apparently all the problems I've been having with trading/mail/warehouses are "Working as Intended" according to the GM who handled my ticket...
    While on the forums the Community Coordinator has been telling people to contact support about the error to get it fixed.. also on twitter:
    And between writing this and posting, I found more information.
    http://forums.na.aiononline.com/na/showpost.php?p=1251805&postcount=9
    Yay, going to have to wait on Korea for a fix!

Not as bad as it sounds really. The devs are all mainly situated in Korea so by saying thats hes really saying "We contacted the devs and they are working on it." it will be fixed just a matter of time. It sucks it even happened to you though.

Also I've run into the issue that changing our legion name costs a bunch of real money'z. I might be willing to pay, but it's not really as cheap as I thought it was. Stupid NCSoft

Elimination on
  • Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    In as Yunhwa on Israphel if someone can invite. Made a Priest, but I'm not sure what I'll end up classing to. Last time I played was a couple years ago and I got a Chanter to mid 20s or so before quitting.

In as Yunhwa on Israphel if someone can invite. Made a Priest, but I'm not sure what I'll end up classing to. Last time I played was a couple years ago and I got a Chanter to mid 20s or so before quitting.

whisper Rakuso, Borntohula, Sutibun, Elizabethia, one of these, and say you are from the PA forums. Any of us can send invites.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular

whisper Rakuso, Borntohula, Sutibun, Elizabethia, one of these, and say you are from the PA forums. Any of us can send invites.

Can't send a whisper below Level 11, apparently.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    Just add one of us as a friend; it should show up on our friends list too and unless random people are spamming your friends list it should be enough to communicate you're from pa. Just say who you are immediately upon joining. The person has to be online anyway to add as a friend so just go down the list.

The no whisper thing pre-11 is pretty annoying, but on the other hand I haven't gotten a spam whisper once, yet, so hey, maybe it works?

Alternately, can you set up private channels in Aion? If you can, it might be wise to set up a private PA channel.

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I found a level 13 skill book for spiritmasters; summon wind spirit.
    I would gladly give it to our guild spiritmaster, but I can't trade, mail, or do anything with objects that could in any way interact with another player.. So it shall sit in my inventory until I need space more than I want to hang onto the book.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Can I as a filthy Swede play on US servers?

OK so I just dinged level 7 and I am not entertained at all so far. I know Korea has an absolute hate for people asking such offending questions as "so what makes this game good?" or "what's this button for?" and will do anything it can to ensure that you will only get access to their main selling points after doing mundane repetitive tasks for at least ten hours. So far this game is on the same level as half the F2P titles I have played over the past year. I have been told you can get wings in this game and apparently there's skill chains to play around with, but so far I'm a dickhead in a robe who is hoping his 5 buttons can kill a mob before it reaches him.

Also: fuck all the walking I have to do, I'm spending more time running between quest-givers than actually killing stuff.
    Echo wrote:
    You can, but you don't want to.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Aion is korean grind game. Once you get to level 25, you get to grind in the pvp zone. Once you get to level 30, you get to grind for about a day per level.

Though, if you couldn't get to level 7 without being bored, I question if MMOs are the right genre for you, honestly.

1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Aion is korean grind game. Once you get to level 25, you get to grind in the pvp zone. Once you get to level 30, you get to grind for about a day per level.

Though, if you couldn't get to level 7 without being bored, I question if MMOs are the right genre for you, honestly.

this hasn't been true for a long time. They remedied the bad grind since back when 2.0 came out.

And yeah level 7 is not even out of the tutorial area. The game isnt OMG AMAZING, but its an MMO, it plays at about the same pace as WoW but becomes more PVP heavy at the end rather than grinding for gear in raids. Otherwise they play at a similar pace and you can progress entirely though questing. I have so far, I haven't actually had to "grind" once yet.

Gameplay wise its an MMO, it plays like most other MMO's but has a few tweaks that I like. Animations and graphics are a step above most other games in the genre, skills can be chained together so it doesnt clutter up your hotbars, which not only looks cool when you do it, but makes the play a bit more smooth as well in combat. And of course the game has an intense love for letting the player customize the shit out of their character. Also I really like how each class is designed, there is no one class that is just better than everything else. Each class has a clear use and a defined roll that is worth having around in any engagement, in PVP or PVE.

Aion did used to be a pretty bad grind though pre-2.0.

The game's sheer polish right now puts it a step above pretty much every other f2p MMO out there. Even above a good majority of pay 2 play ones. I think the game is going to see a lot of success with the new f2p model due to the polish alone. The 3.0 update adding a bunch of new content and player housing (which is almost unheard of in MMO's these days.) and other things is only going to enforce that.

Elimination on
    Echo wrote: »

I think you can, but im not 100% as I can't try it myself. I am pretty sure we had a european playing with us earlier at some point though.

MMos are my favourite genre, I played so many MMOs and have explored so many more I even made a list of all the free MMOs I could find. I have almost 500 titles listed at the moment and I have played so many different Asian MMOs that I know what grinding entails. I can honestly say I haven't had to grind in this game so far, but the quests that have been presented to me were no better than FlyFF or Fiesta and less interesting than Eden Eternal and SMT:Imagine (to limit this comparison to games that are actually kinda well-known).

I would not mind this slow tutorial this much if they actually introduced me to interesting mechanics. There are a lot of Korean grind MMOs that have learned this lesson and will at least show you what makes their game different from the hojillion similar games. So far I have been looking for the most effective ways to progress beyond the tutorial, because I would like to experience what this game has to offer. I will get there, but NCsoft is not meeting me halfway.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Well, what makes Aion unique is: skill chains, flying combat (which is restricted to the Abyss only, a poor choice imo), and a better setting than most MMOs out there; the art and music is extremely good. I think the only MMOs that engrossed me more were the Lord of the Rings (which I only stopped playing because I like pvp too much) and
    World of Warcraft
    . Also, the best character creator I've seen. I haven't really played it in a while, so I doubt this is still the case, but flying pvp was amazing back at release. Forming a gank squad in the Abyss and cruising for victims compares favorably with any pvp I've done.

I mean, sure, I've never hit max level in this, way too grindy for me, but I found it very engrossing for quite a long time.

I booted up the game the other day, but since PA folks seem to be playing on another server, I'm not going to bother. I don't wish to either make a new character or pay to transfer. All my characters are on Siel.

1208768734831.jpg
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    For anyone who has the same problem as me (can't connect to the gameforge patcher), I found a solution. If you download the NA client from NCSoft and then run the command,
    start "" "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSoft\Aion (North America)\bin32\aion.bin" -ip:79.110.83.80 -port:2106 -cc:2 -noauthgg -ls -charnamemenu -lang:enu

(save it as aion.bat or something), it connects to the free aion EU servers. I've not tested it much (logged in, ran about a bit) so it may cause issues later but who knows.

• grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Logged on last night and ran around the Asmodean capitol city a bit taking care of fedex quests and some turn ins I had missed from long ago.

Unless I am missing a fast travel option (not the teleport statues), it is still painful to run around the Asmo city, and downright excruciating in the Elyos city.

Part of logging in was to see where my characters ended up after Nezekan going away. Vaizel and Zikel apparently.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy