As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] TrackPoint is trademarked. Call it a clit mouse instead.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote:
    we always get the 24x5 support from dell, and it's never been anything short of spectacular.

never on hold for more than a couple minutes, next day parts.

i fought with some hardware problems on a server they sent me, next day got the parts that we deduced had failed. didn't work, next day a tech came out worked on it for a couple hours, no luck. two days later i had a completely new machine waiting for me when i got in.

I've had similar experiences. Had a tape drive auto-loader fail on me, and they had a replacement up here the SAME DAY. I was on the phone for like an hour having the tech walk me through some troubleshooting steps, and like 5 hours later the whole device was replaced. Good stuff.

• ueanuean Registered User regular
    Same. Aside from the fact I've been making phone calls every other day for the past month or so for HDD replacements, I'm incredibly happy with Dell support. Can't comment on server support though... hate poweredge with a passion, HPs support is excellent for the ML350s all over place I get to glance at and not touch.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    The only real problem I have with dell support is when you've already figured out the problem, and they want you to run through an hour of tests to prove it. It happened a couple of weeks ago and my boss came by while i was on the phone with them, he asked me if the laptop had complete care, i said yes, and he took it and threw it across the room so it pretty much completely shattered and said "tell them it was dropped"

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Haha, holy shit. That's one way to skip all the bs.

• justinschwimmerjustinschwimmer Registered User regular
    I've been lurking this thread for 2 years or so and thought I would introduce myself. It's fun following everyones stories around the thread.

I'm sysadmin onboard the US Navy ship USS Cole. 300 users and 190 machines spread across 4 levels of security including NATO. Its funny my stories are the same as everyone else's.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I've been lurking this thread for 2 years or so and thought I would introduce myself. It's fun following everyones stories around the thread.

I'm sysadmin onboard the US Navy ship USS Cole. 300 users and 190 machines spread across 4 levels of security including NATO. Its funny my stories are the same as everyone else's.

Were you working for the Navy in the 90s when they had all the problems with the Yorktown?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • justinschwimmerjustinschwimmer Registered User regular

Were you working for the Navy in the 90s when they had all the problems with the Yorktown?

Nope I've been in since 2008. I've been running the network onboard Cole since 2010. Are you referencing the ship Yorktown or the Naval base with the same name?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Or, seeing as this is the IT thread, the Intel microprocessor architecture called Yorkfield?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The only real problem I have with dell support is when you've already figured out the problem, and they want you to run through an hour of tests to prove it. It happened a couple of weeks ago and my boss came by while i was on the phone with them, he asked me if the laptop had complete care, i said yes, and he took it and threw it across the room so it pretty much completely shattered and said "tell them it was dropped"

Lucky bastard. The one I had to deal with for one of our SAN/NAS units took 4 days to confirm that a drive failed. By the time they okayed it and shipped out a replacement the raid failed because a second drive went down.

We now have 8 drives in case that happens again because it's a shitty mcshitfuck to have a medical facility potentially lose data because someone's okaying a return/RMA. Most pointless 4 hours of my life there.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    TyrantCow wrote:
    we always get the 24x5 support from dell, and it's never been anything short of spectacular.

never on hold for more than a couple minutes, next day parts.

i fought with some hardware problems on a server they sent me, next day got the parts that we deduced had failed. didn't work, next day a tech came out worked on it for a couple hours, no luck. two days later i had a completely new machine waiting for me when i got in.

I've had similar experiences. Had a tape drive auto-loader fail on me, and they had a replacement up here the SAME DAY. I was on the phone for like an hour having the tech walk me through some troubleshooting steps, and like 5 hours later the whole device was replaced. Good stuff.

I have to say that I have had far superior experiences with their premier tech support group in Texas than any of their offshore people.

Their Texas group also doesn't do that bullshit where they run you through an hour of tests to confirm what they already know. "RAID broken?" "Yep." "Did you try to re-mirror it?" "Yep." "That failed?" "Yep." "Windows showing disk errors?" "Yep." "Okay, we'll send you another drive."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    whenever we have a drive fail i rebuild, walk away, if that fails > check firmware versions on the dell site, up to date > run the dell diag.

hop on chat support, tell them i've done the prior, they give me an e-mail address, i send the log, new drive on the way.

i guess i'm doing the hour of tests to prove it prior to talking to them; but, that seems to be the same process every time so by the time i'm talking to someone it's five minutes or so.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

Nope I've been in since 2008. I've been running the network onboard Cole since 2010. Are you referencing the ship Yorktown or the Naval base with the same name?

The ship - I've had a couple of different people say "oh, you're into computers, check this out" and forward me old articles about all the "smart ship" stuff they were testing out that blew up on them. I was just curious if you'd been around during that time.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Got a hands-on demo of a Citrix setup over the weekend and it was pretty slick.

Still haven't gotten to play with a live VMware setup, though.

Was wondering pros/cons between the two. Or is this a case of 6 of one and a half dozen of the other?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Suppose I have a SOCKS proxy.

Now, were it an SSH server, I could re-direct things through it by creating a local tunnel from say, port 12345 to www.google.com:80

And then if I pointed my web browser at localhost:12345 I'd get Google.

My problem is, how do I do this with SOCKS?

It seems like some arrangement of netcat or the like should do it, but I've no success with it.

electricitylikesme on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If you're using your web browser, you can just set it up via the proxy settings (exact location varies by browser/OS)

If you want to force some other program to use the socks proxy, you may need to resort to an application wrapper that will redirect the socket operations. On windows I used to use sockscap a while ago, and a quick google search for Linux showed proxychains.

I do see a mechanism for talking to a socks server in netcat (the -x flag), but I have no experience with using netcat for that.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    Suppose I have a SOCKS proxy.

Now, were it an SSH server, I could re-direct things through it by creating a local tunnel from say, port 12345 to www.google.com:80

And then if I pointed my web browser at localhost:12345 I'd get Google.

My problem is, how do I do this with SOCKS?

It seems like some arrangement of netcat or the like should do it, but I've no success with it.

Oh you want to do SOCKS tunneling eh?

http://www.proxifier.com/

is one I've used in the past.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Thanks again for the help with my hard drive problem, ELM. We finally had some time where we could fiddle with the disks without affecting anyone's work, and using the RAID's "verify disk integrity" tool seems to have solved the problem - rsync exits normally now.

oE0mva1.jpg
    edited February 2012
    End wrote: »
    If you're using your web browser, you can just set it up via the proxy settings (exact location varies by browser/OS)

If you want to force some other program to use the socks proxy, you may need to resort to an application wrapper that will redirect the socket operations. On windows I used to use sockscap a while ago, and a quick google search for Linux showed proxychains.

I do see a mechanism for talking to a socks server in netcat (the -x flag), but I have no experience with using netcat for that.

It looks like it should work, but I think netcat under cygwin doesn't work properly (it doesn't want to forward data between two instances of it, even though I can connect and see data from end or the another).

EDIT: Ok for anyone wondering how you do this, the answer is apparently rinetd on Windows. Obviously Proxifier is more complete, but for straight port-to-port stuff this apparently does the trick.

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, while you can do redirects with this, it doesn't appear to provide you with any real proxying abilities.

electricitylikesme on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:

Was wondering pros/cons between the two. Or is this a case of 6 of one and a half dozen of the other?

If you're talking about Xen, then the pros are VMWare is used everywhere and supported by everyone. Xen, not so much.

If you're talking about VDI vs Citrix as a desktop virtualiser, then the argument is exactly reversed.

edited February 2012
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote:

If you're talking about Xen, then the pros are VMWare is used everywhere and supported by everyone. Xen, not so much.

If you're talking about VDI vs Citrix as a desktop virtualiser, then the argument is exactly reversed.

I guess I'm really looking at two things.

1. I want to virtualize my server stack.
    2. I want to virtualize desktops. What I saw of Citrix used a WYSE thin client with apps delivered from the server. The user could run a virtualized Windows Desktop if they wanted, but it wasn't necessary. But someone on an Ipad could also run a Citrix app and get the same thing.

This would be XenServer and XenDesktop? Or am I misunderstanding?

Citrix seems to be more ready for "bring your own device" (which is what we're planning towards) than VMware. Or am I wrong in that?

If VMWare is better for server virtualization is a VMware/Citrix hybrid setup feasible?

Their websites are so overloaded with information (VMWare especially), I can't discern what product does what to be able to decide what I need.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    Goddammit.
    $ ps aux | grep rsync
    root     19851  0.0  0.2 303072 12212 ?        S    07:00   0:05 rsync -aHuz --rsh=ssh --exclude=day_old /old_spears/home 140.232.101.174:/backups/incDaily/Tue/
    root     19854  0.0  0.0   5160  2348 ?        S    07:00   0:00 ssh 140.232.101.174 rsync --server -ulHogDtprze.iLsf . /backups/incDaily/Tue/
    melliott 23035  0.0  0.0   3324   788 pts/0    S+   10:21   0:00 grep rsync

It hasn't done this for the past two days and now it's going it again (rsync not exiting)

oE0mva1.jpg
    Goddammit.
    $ ps aux | grep rsync
    root     19851  0.0  0.2 303072 12212 ?        S    07:00   0:05 rsync -aHuz --rsh=ssh --exclude=day_old /old_spears/home 140.232.101.174:/backups/incDaily/Tue/
    root     19854  0.0  0.0   5160  2348 ?        S    07:00   0:00 ssh 140.232.101.174 rsync --server -ulHogDtprze.iLsf . /backups/incDaily/Tue/
    melliott 23035  0.0  0.0   3324   788 pts/0    S+   10:21   0:00 grep rsync

It hasn't done this for the past two days and now it's going it again (rsync not exiting)

What did you actually run on your disk/filesystem?

Because if I recall from one of my big crashes, fsck and the like don't necessarily "fix" damaged files, they just mark the sectors unreadable. You need to manually copy what data has survived out, and delete the files to "fix" it.

Oh for anyone following my netcat saga, the correct solution (works under cygwin and everything else because it's correct) is:
    $ mkfifo reverse
    $ nc -l -p 12345 < reverse | nc www.google.com 80 > reverse

Because obviously you can't just pipe traffic in one direction when you want a tunnel. This scheme works perfectly, and can be combined with netcat's SOCKS functionality to get the SSH-like tunneling I desire.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm glad that they found a way to combine two of my favorite things, QuickBooks and Point of Sale systems.

I got to spend 4 hours yesterday trying to get a client's replacement workstation to play nice with QBPOS. According to Intuit, QBPOS2010 should work on Windows 7, but it kept timing out when trying to connect to the database. And of course it's not supported. And to upgrade to the new version is like $900.

Oh, well. At lease these clients are just hangers-on from our early days, and most of the stuff I do anymore is less awful.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Man, I'm glad that they found a way to combine two of my favorite things, QuickBooks and Point of Sale systems.

I got to spend 4 hours yesterday trying to get a client's replacement workstation to play nice with QBPOS. According to Intuit, QBPOS2010 should work on Windows 7, but it kept timing out when trying to connect to the database. And of course it's not supported. And to upgrade to the new version is like $900.

Oh, well. At lease these clients are just hangers-on from our early days, and most of the stuff I do anymore is less awful.

God I fucking hate Intuit.

I used to work at a Credit Union, for some reason we used an Intuit product for our online banking system. We had a weird bug where when you would export your transaction history into a quicken file it'd transpose some of the columns. Our programmers were standing by, ready to change whatever was needed with the interface between online banking and our database. Intuit basically said it was something with the online banking and quicken, and they couldn't fix it. Couldn't even get their own products to work together.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

I used to work at a Credit Union, for some reason we used an Intuit product for our online banking system. We had a weird bug where when you would export your transaction history into a quicken file it'd transpose some of the columns. Our programmers were standing by, ready to change whatever was needed with the interface between online banking and our database. Intuit basically said it was something with the online banking and quicken, and they couldn't fix it. Couldn't even get their own products to work together.

Oh, nice. Similar to a situation I'm dealing with trying to get anything out of Amicus Attorney support (avoid this goddamn product like the plague). Users make changes to appointments, client info, tickets, etc that sometimes just save but then later revert to the previous state. After hours of phone time with support, testing various things, all they can say is uhh it's something to do with Exchange, can't help you.

This was put on a clean install of SBS08 / Exchange. There's nothing weird about it, and it's a supported OS and configuration. :x

edited March 2012
    So weird problem at one of my sites. New server installed to a workgroup and began migrating clients into the domain. After joining one client to the domain, I noticed that I can ping the server, but the server cannot ping back. Yeah - server can't ping back, the desktop joined the domain properly.... So here's what I've tried:

(client is WinXP Pro; Server is Win 2008 R2)

Client ping to server: ok
    Server ping to client: Nope
    Check DNS resolution: good. IP matches.
    Try ping direct to IP: Nope
    Hmm. Check client firewall settings. Check ICMP traffic is allowed. Disable firewall entirely. Disable firewall service and reboot. Still no good.
    Check AV on client machine. Check for 3rd party firewall. End up completely removing client AV (Symantec Endpoint Protection). Still can't ping from server.
    Checked group policies... just default domain policy, so that looks fine.
    Check Network discovery is on on the server, can see the client machine listed in that list but cannot access \\client\c$
    RDP works when initiated from the client to the server
    Reboot the server for the helluvit

Not sure what else to try. It's not DNS. There is no firewall hardware in the mix. No firewall software. No AV on the client machine at this point. DHCP is being handled externally and not by this server, so my main concern of the lease running out and the client just dropping dead with no IP is handled, but it's still bugging me. Any thoughts?

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Aioua wrote: »

Oh, nice. Similar to a situation I'm dealing with trying to get anything out of Amicus Attorney support (avoid this goddamn product like the plague). Users make changes to appointments, client info, tickets, etc that sometimes just save but then later revert to the previous state. After hours of phone time with support, testing various things, all they can say is uhh it's something to do with Exchange, can't help you.

This was put on a clean install of SBS08 / Exchange. There's nothing weird about it, and it's a supported OS and configuration. :x

See this is the problem with closed-source limited-user base development; you can get away with not actually delivering functioning product because your clients are already locked into long duration, expensive contracts and can't switch away because you already have them by the balls.
    Should be outlawed frankly.

(I once worked support for a company that sold, for immediate use, a product to a client based on the performance of a specific feature that the particular client was essentially the only user of, then turned around and told the dev team to implement the feature; but not before I had to deal with the customer's understandable ire that the delivered product did not in fact have the promised function, just a non-functioning UI element)

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    uean wrote: »
    So weird problem at one of my sites. New server installed to a workgroup and began migrating clients into the domain. After joining one client to the domain, I noticed that I can ping the server, but the server cannot ping back. Yeah - server can't ping back, the desktop joined the domain properly.... So here's what I've tried:

Hmm. Check client firewall settings. Check ICMP traffic is allowed. Disable firewall entirely. Disable firewall service and reboot. Still no good.
    Check AV on client machine. Check for 3rd party firewall. End up completely removing client AV (Symantec Endpoint Protection). Still can't ping from server.
    Check Network discovery is on on the server, can see the client machine listed in that list but cannot access \\client\c$

Not sure what else to try. It's not DNS. There is no firewall hardware in the mix. No firewall software. No AV on the client machine at this point. DHCP is being handled externally and not by this server, so my main concern of the lease running out and the client just dropping dead with no IP is handled, but it's still bugging me. Any thoughts?

Could it be a bad NIC or cabling?
    edit: also, check the ARP tables to see if theres funny business going on with MAC addressing

Jimbo on
    404 not found
    Jimbo wrote: »

Could it be a bad NIC or cabling?
    edit: also, check the ARP tables to see if theres funny business going on with MAC addressing

If you can get a brand new cable that you know works properly, and try switching out the one on the client which isn't working. Malfunctioning cables or NICs in my experience are an absolute bitch to diagnose since they'll happily sit there only working at 300bps, but insist they're syncing at 1Gbit (and throw no error messages up to the OS at all).

Seriously if anyone knows how to spot a bad cable with software I'd love to hear it.

Hmm. I'll give it a shot, I've always got 10 on me.

I just find it weird that I can RDP into the server and run ping tests back to the box I am RDPing FROM, and that fails. That says ICMP traffic to me getting blocked somewhere.

I checked the ARP tables on the server and they're fine. MAC matches. Later that day I discovered it is not just a problem with the server down to the client, but any communication (ping requests, accessing shares) into that client from another box, even another client. So that means ... I dont know yet.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
    Hmm. I'll give it a shot, I've always got 10 on me.

I just find it weird that I can RDP into the server and run ping tests back to the box I am RDPing FROM, and that fails. That says ICMP traffic to me getting blocked somewhere.

I checked the ARP tables on the server and they're fine. MAC matches. Later that day I discovered it is not just a problem with the server down to the client, but any communication (ping requests, accessing shares) into that client from another box, even another client. So that means ... I dont know yet.

Are these machines on the same subnet? Check that their subnet masks are the same?

A 255.255.254.0 can see a 255.255.255.0 machine, but vice versa may not.

Connected to the same switch? Are you using managed switches that might be set to filter ICMP?

XdDBi4F.jpg
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @uean I fixed a problem like this but it was from a Windows 7 box to an XP box. Had to define a security policy w/r/to to NTLM. I think it was the Lan Manager authentication level, but I cannot be certain and my google skills are not working this morning.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Can any of you fine folks rec your fave (or maybe even one you see most commonly in live environments) Unix/Unix-like? Later this year, I'll be leaving the comfy confines of my small environment, it generalist, jeans and sandals wearin' gig and looking for something a little more professional in a new state and city, and I've always had a sucking chest wound in my knowledge pool when it comes to *nix. I don't want to be the guy that loses points for not getting the sudo joke, and I don't know if it'll even come up when I'm looking for desktop support/helpdesk jobs, but it seems like I should get on it (jump on it) ASAP.

Ubuntu is almost the defacto standard of "I want to do linux but not claw my fucking eyes out."

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Ubuntu is almost the defacto standard of "I want to do linux but not claw my fucking eyes out."

Ha, ok, well that sounds like an excellent emotional starting point for me. Thanks. =P

• SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    Fedora is also very accessible, although to my understanding it frowns upon proprietary software, whereas Ubuntu is more pragmatic and accepts it when no FOSS alternative exists.

If you want a distribution just to screw around with, though, and you have some old box you might want to use exclusively for that purpose (so you can just nuke it when something goes horribly wrong), you might try something like SliTaz. Maybe only try that after spending a few weeks with Ubuntu to learn the basics of Unix-like systems though.

borb_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    You may run into CentOS as well. It's geared at being a more enterprise-ready flavor of Linux.

It's friendly enough to learn, but you miss out on some of the Desktop style goodies in Ubuntu.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    Can anyone recommend a good web content filter that integrates with AD? We were using an ISA server on our old domain, and depending on costs I may migrate it and use it on our new domain, but if there is something better I'd like to use that.

Won't really need firewall services as we have a hardware firewall for that. The hardware firewall has limited web content filtering, but it does not integrate with AD making it virtually useless for blocking anything but porn.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good web content filter that integrates with AD? We were using an ISA server on our old domain, and depending on costs I may migrate it and use it on our new domain, but if there is something better I'd like to use that.

Won't really need firewall services as we have a hardware firewall for that. The hardware firewall has limited web content filtering, but it does not integrate with AD making it virtually useless for blocking anything but porn.

Barracuda.

The AD integration is done two ways; either a simple LDAP query configured on the webfilter itself, or with a small Windows program that you install directly on an AD server that runs as a service and communicates with the webfilter.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.