As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    So... Jurassic Park.

Is it worth it for the story because I have seen enough of the "gameplay" to last me a lifetime.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Cantido wrote: »
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    pslong9 wrote: »
    On the coupon front, here's what I have available to a good home:

-75% Torchlight
    -50% Shattered Horizon
    -60% Magicka
    -25% Valve
    Noooooo! I tried in vain to get a hold of you for this coupon when it was on as a daily. The only thing that could get me through the night was the though that it had already been redeemed :P

Ill gift you magicka.

Thanks for the offer but I can't accept since there's a good chance that it won't run well on my machine. But if I had the chance to buy a 4-pack for 3$ (or whatever crazy low price it was with the coupon) then even if my copy was a waste I'd still have 3 more for random gifting.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    reminder: today is the final day for $5 Payday @ Amazon.

reminder to self: install Payday

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    You know what...

Look at my coupon collection
    Coupons.jpg

I'm just going to say they're all up for grabs. I have enough games in my backlog that I can afford to wait and pick these things up when they're cheaper.
    Prototype would be brought down to $10, but I still have so much to finish.

50% Demolition, Inc
    50% Droplitz
    50% Greedcorp
    50% Runespell: Overture
    50% Penny Arcade Combo Pack
    50% Payday (four-pack would be $30)
    50% Zeno Clash
    50% Magic the Gathering (I'm still kind of waffling on this, actually. I really want to pick this up but the timesink might be horrifying)
    50% Poker Night (also waffling on this)
    66% Prototype (I'll pick it up when there's a 75% off deal, because there will be before I'm done with my backlog.)

The Payday one is especially useless since you can get it today at Amazon for $5.

• HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    Just realized I have a 25% Ubisoft coupon.

Anyone yell at me if they want it.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So... Jurassic Park.

Is it worth it for the story because I have seen enough of the "gameplay" to last me a lifetime.

Probably not. I mean, the story is really pretty good, so if you love the shit out of Jurassic Park, maybe if you snag it for under 20 bucks. It's up to you as to whether you can stomache the Heavy Rain meets Tell Tale Adventure gameplay.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    So... Jurassic Park.

Probably not. I mean, the story is really pretty good, so if you love the shit out of Jurassic Park, maybe if you snag it for under 20 bucks. It's up to you as to whether you can stomache the Heavy Rain meets Tell Tale Adventure gameplay.

Thanks. I think I will give it a miss this time around and wait until it drops under £5.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I am seriously looking at that Painkiller game.

Of course, I like bad games. I've been informed of this several times by various sources. Maybe its for me!
    I'm looking at it too.

Then again, I almost need to see if it can get worse than ressurection.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    After the Giant Bomb Quick Look of it, I have no interest in Jurassic Park the Game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uZ7iL_xxkbE

A couple of weeks after the video, Patrick talked about his disappointment in the game even further. Also, for reference, he is a massive JP nerd.

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    So... Jurassic Park.

Having not played Heavy Rain, I have no idea if this is a good or bad thing.

Mind giving me the elevator speech on what style it is?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • kaliakalia Registered User regular
    Remaining coupons that might be of some value to somebody:
    50% off Rockstar; 50% off Sanctum; 50% off the not-super MNC; 25% off bitComposer (Void and some other games, incl STALKER: COP). Less useful: 25% off Lord of the Rings: War in the North, 10% off THQ, 25% off Valve. Hit me up on steam if you can use any of 'em. The Rockstar one's a good one, maybe someone can afford to put it use!

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    On friday emailed steam support about upgrading to Aug Ed of DXHR. Turns out you can. However they didn't get back to me until today. Well, next sale i guess.

Oh and my coupons
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/bloodatonement/inventory/#753_3

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So... Jurassic Park.

Okay, so there's very little free movement. You're constantly placed in situations where you preform a few preset motions to proceed. It's tricky to explain, but to use an example...

In one of the first scenes in the game you have to find a way into the island. You basically have four "screens" you can click on to walk to. Each screen is a different area of the docks that you arrive on. You can click on various items to investigate them. To progress you have to click on the guard shack, which plops you right next to it (again, little to no free movement) with your back pressed to an outer wall to remain out of sight of the guard inside. You have to use a couple of motions to distract the guard and then reach in through a window to grab a keycard.

All these motions are just things you accomplish by clicking your mouse, or by timing key presses (left/right/up/down) to events on screen.

There's another chase sequence that has you running towards the camera. You don't control any of the running, but you have to regularly hit keys to jump over obstacles or slash foliage out of the way.

Basically, all of the gameplay amounts to a bunch of interconnected quick time events.

Now, I don't really like QTEs shoehorned into my action games (god of war), or tossed randomly into cutscenes (resident evil 4), but when the whole game consists of QTEs I don't really mind them, and actually tend to enjoy it.

Of course, I recognize that many people won't agree with me here, so I can't really recommend the game without serious reservations and conditions.

minor incident on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Right, it's that time again, time to clear out the coupon inventory.

For some reason these ones didn't make it into the coupon book. Drop me a PM, or add me on Steam, and they can be yours (until I run out, or go to bed):

2x50% Valve

25% Valve
    25% Meridian4
    25% Ubisoft/SquareEnix
    50% Kings Bounty Platinum
    50% Assassins Creed 2 Deluxe

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So... Jurassic Park.

Okay, so there's very little free movement. You're constantly placed in situations where you preform a few preset motions to proceed. It's tricky to explain, but to use an example...

In one of the first scenes in the game you have to find a way into the island. You basically have four "screens" you can click on to walk to. Each screen is a different area of the docks that you arrive on. You can click on various items to investigate them. To progress you have to click on the guard shack, which plops you right next to it (again, little to no free movement) with your back pressed to an outer wall to remain out of sight of the guard inside. You have to use a couple of motions to distract the guard and then reach in through a window to grab a keycard.

All these motions are just things you accomplish by clicking your mouse, or by timing key presses (left/right/up/down) to events on screen.

There's another chase sequence that has you running towards the camera. You don't control any of the running, but you have to regularly hit keys to jump over obstacles or slash foliage out of the way.

Basically, all of the gameplay amounts to a bunch of interconnected quick time events.

Now, I don't really like QTEs shoehorned into my action games (god of war), or tossed randomly into cutscenes (resident evil 4), but when the whole game consists of QTEs I don't really mind them, and actually tend to enjoy it.

Of course, I recognize that many people won't agree with me here, so I can't really recommend the game without serious reservations and conditions.

It's like, none of that sounds outright BAD, but it certainly doesn't sound like Puzzle Solving either. Maybe I was just expecting puzzle solving...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Don't have much in the way of coupons, but if you want something shoot me a pm.

steamcoupons.png

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Thanks for GMod Kalia!

Your classiness is undispituted!

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I don't like seeing steam coupons go to waste, but I'm trying to keep telling myself that most of these games will be cheaper before I finish the backlog anyway. Must stay strong.

I managed to only use 1 coupon, so I think I did pretty good.

Steam: offday
    Yeah, it's not bad if you enjoy that sort of gameplay. The puzzle solving is minimal when compare to most other adventure games, but there's a fair bit of "how do I go about accomplishing that?" that'll have you thinking. Not thinking hard, mind you. Nothing that requires, say, a thinking cap. Maybe a simple "hmmmmm..." here and there.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I don't like seeing steam coupons go to waste, but I'm trying to keep telling myself that most of these games will be cheaper before I finish the backlog anyway. Must stay strong.

I think I need to take some kind of vow that unless it's a 75% off coupon or a Daily Deal it will always be cheaper later. Sort of like the Christmastime flowchart.

So unless I neeeeed the game, I think I can let it pass me by.

Though I must admit I am a fan of the fact that you can have a fantastically good ol' time on Steam without spending any money. Some of the free games are better than most of the paid ones.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I think I need to take some kind of vow that unless it's a 75% off coupon or a Daily Deal it will always be cheaper later. Sort of like the Christmastime flowchart.

So unless I neeeeed the game, I think I can let it pass me by.

Though I must admit I am a fan of the fact that you can have a fantastically good ol' time on Steam without spending any money. Some of the free games are better than most of the paid ones.

This is true. I put some serious hours in TF2, granted I did pay for it with the orange box, but it's better than it's ever been and it is free now.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My brother needs to seriously save his pennies and get his first gaming PC like I did last year so I can gift him my games.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Guess I'll join in the last-minute coupon dump. I didn't get many good coupons during the Christmas sale, but here is what I did get:

40% off Witcher 2
    50% off Hitman Collection
    50% off Max Payne 2
    50% off Rock of Ages

Other than the Witcher 2, all those other games have had Steam sales of at least 50% off or more, so those coupons are kinda weak. Max Payne 2 will certainly be on sale in May when MP3 comes out. Feel free to PM me (here or on Steam) if any of these tickle your fancy.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Oooh Rayman Origins demo up. Doesn't appear to be working when I click on it but presumably in a bit it will.

• RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    33% off Valve
    50% off Valve
    10% off Valve
    33% off Dungeon Siege III
    50% off GTA:SA
    50% off X super box
    75% off Empire: Total War
    66% off Two Worlds 2

Anybody who wants any of those message me on Steam.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Never let it be said that @Prisca is anything but classy as all fuck. He just gave me his 50% off coupon for 2K, allowing me to buy Civ IV complete for only 12.50. :D

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    As always, kalia is as classy as ever. As classy as this:
    LY9ob.png

She just gifted me Garry's Mod. Thanks a lot!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Oooh Rayman Origins demo up. Doesn't appear to be working when I click on it but presumably in a bit it will.
    It was automatically added to my library list without me clicking on it and I can't get rid of it, either.

(Not that it doesn't look like a good game, but that's still really irritating.)

• ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »
    It was automatically added to my library list without me clicking on it and I can't get rid of it, either.

(Not that it doesn't look like a good game, but that's still really irritating.)

I was just dealing with this exact same scenario. Solution I came up with? Put it in the "never going to play" category and wait until steam unscrews whatever they screwed up there.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
    edited February 2012

I was just dealing with this exact same scenario. Solution I came up with? Put it in the "never going to play" category and wait until steam unscrews whatever they screwed up there.

Can you make your own categories? I thought you could, but I can't figure it out? I have Favorites, but I can't remember if I made that or if that's already there.

anoffday on
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    I would like to take a moment to complain that Borderlands has gotten me into a cycle of suck. Also, the Lost Cave is hard, as promised. Badass Skags suck. Elder skags suck. Alpha skags suck. Respawning larval worm...things...in my respawn area suck. Suck!

Time for bed I think.

• ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular

Can you make your own categories? I thought you could, but I can't figure it out? I have Favorites, but I can't remember if I made that or if that's already there.

Right click on game, click set category. You can define as many as you want - I have like 30 or something.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.

Right click on game, click set category. You can define as many as you want - I have like 30 or something.

Nice. Thanks!

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

Nice. Thanks!

Last time it showed up like this(not this game specifically) the game just went away a day or so later so I wouldn't be freaking out about it right away.

50433.png?1708759015
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ubisoft can't get anything right and now the Rayman Devs are paying the price again, jeez. Good thing the game broke even already.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Just expect your categories to get deleted every single time there's a Steam update or outage!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Just expect your categories to get deleted every single time there's a Steam update or outage!

I think there was recently a patch on Steam that was supposed to fix that.

I also think that someone here confirmed that it did not. :D

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    /Rant On

Ok, I know this isn't going to be popular, but I am almost finished with Psychonauts and right now I am hating the game. I have spent more time fighting the fucking camera and dying than anything else in this game. I'm in the Meat Circus area at the end, running through the Acrobatic portion and I'm about to Nerd Rage and throw my controller throw my monitor. What fun I've had with the game, is quickly becoming lost in aggravation. I know, I'm not a Pro Gamer or anything, but fuck me sideways why must the fucking camera swing around on it's own so much while I'm running/jumping as to make me go flying off in the wrong direction. On a sidenote: Double Jumping can go fuck itself as well, cuz when I NEED it to happen it doesn't wanna work. I mean, I push the fucking button two times in succession. Even me, at my feeble age, can manage that. Yet, I go falling without a second jump. When I don't need it? Sure it works fine.

/Rant Off

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    /Rant On

Ok, I know this isn't going to be popular, but I am almost finished with Psychonauts and right now I am hating the game. I have spent more time fighting the fucking camera and dying than anything else in this game. I'm in the Meat Circus area at the end, running through the Acrobatic portion and I'm about to Nerd Rage and throw my controller throw my monitor. What fun I've had with the game, is quickly becoming lost in aggravation. I know, I'm not a Pro Gamer or anything, but fuck me sideways why must the fucking camera swing around on it's own so much while I'm running/jumping as to make me go flying off in the wrong direction. On a sidenote: Double Jumping can go fuck itself as well, cuz when I NEED it to happen it doesn't wanna work. I mean, I push the fucking button two times in succession. Even me, at my feeble age, can manage that. Yet, I go falling without a second jump. When I don't need it? Sure it works fine.

/Rant Off
    No. Everyone absolutely hates the meat circus. And that jump actually is bugged.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • HyperionHyperion Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    Gaslight wrote: »

I think there was recently a patch on Steam that was supposed to fix that.

I also think that someone here confirmed that it did not. :D

The latest patch fixed it for me. My categories would crap out on the regular, but they haven't changed at all since the update. For me, at least, I'd say the issue is fixed.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
This discussion has been closed.