As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

wtf is going on with Baldur's Gate?

• CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    WHAT.

WANT

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rami wrote: »
    Yeah I've no idea what the point of a BG remake is. You going to replace beautiful hand drawn art with...other hand drawn art?

Imagine Baldur's Gate with Bastion-quality sprite*-work.

*Bastion's sprites were done the same way Baldur's Gate's sprites were: 3D models converted into sprites.

KalTorak wrote: »
    I could definitely enjoy playing BG/BG2 on iOS (I imagine it would be iPad only). I think it's too much to hope for a new game in the series - the story is pretty much wrapped up and there are probably licensing issues these days.

Baldur's Gate plays pretty terribly on a tablet. There's too much precision clicking you have to do with a very imprecise input method that I'm struggling to think of how someone would get such a thing working acceptably well, even with controls redone from the ground up.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Porting Baldur's Gate to iPad would make no sense at all.

My prediction: It will be a port of Baldur's Gate for iPad.

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    I don't care what it is. I just want it. I WANT IT!

steam_sig.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'd like to play Baldur's Gate on my Android phone.

Except my eyes would probably burst from squinting.

@Toxic Pickle Here you go, good buddy

:shock:

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I'd like to play Baldur's Gate on my Android phone.

Except my eyes would probably burst from squinting.

@Toxic Pickle Here you go, good buddy

:shock:

I'm looking at this and I cant help but feel this would be the most unfun thing to play ever on my phone. Even with a 4.3" screen on it.
    Which just makes me a little sad.

steam_sig.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Speaking of UI overhauls, are there any notable UI overhaul mods for BG2 I should be looking at?

Spells in particular seem like kind of a bear to memorize without tooltips on the action menu.

Spells come in three flavours: red spells harm other people, blue spells help yourself or other people, and green spells do something else. Very few of the third.

You get spells slowly enough in the games (and have direct access to their entire writeups in the spell book, the only place you're really managing them ever) that memorizing names shouldn't be a problem, especially as most of them are self explanatory.

Oh! Spells are organized from highest to lowest level in the action bar. And every spell has a unique icon, even if it might be a little hard to differentiate at the beginning.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Yeah I've no idea what the point of a BG remake is. You going to replace beautiful hand drawn art with...other hand drawn art?

*Bastion's sprites were done the same way Baldur's Gate's sprites were: 3D models converted into sprites.

I could definitely enjoy playing BG/BG2 on iOS (I imagine it would be iPad only). I think it's too much to hope for a new game in the series - the story is pretty much wrapped up and there are probably licensing issues these days.

Baldur's Gate plays pretty terribly on a tablet. There's too much precision clicking you have to do with a very imprecise input method that I'm struggling to think of how someone would get such a thing working acceptably well, even with controls redone from the ground up.
    Yeah, even though it's impressive that he managed to squeeze avadon onto the ipad completely, the UI really is pretty bad compared to the PC version. Borderline unusable

steam_sig.png
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:

They wanted to redo it in high res but everyone with a copy of the original art assets either threw out the backups or lost them. They have no dealings with Apple afaik, so don't expect it to be tied to the iPad3 release or for it to be exclusive to iOS.
    korodullin wrote:

I also thought the controls would suck, but it plays surprisingly well. I worked at beamdog when they signed the deal with Atari and Hasbro. As soon as they got the source code one of the guys decided to see how hard it would be to get BG2 running on an android tablet. Turns out it wasn't too hard, it played surprisingly well.

At the time they were just planning to up the res on all the art so don't take that as confirmation that it's a port, just that it could be ported if someone wanted to. I really don't know for certain what they are doing now but whatever it is, it will probably have at least some new content, not a full games worth by any means though.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I suppose you could rework it to run on 4E instead of AD&D. It's probably just a port.

You could increase the resolution, improve the UI, add in new quests/areas, improve character models, upgrade it to at least 3.5, etc. Just an HD makeover? I'd be all over that.

Also, Planescape Torment, because as much as I want to try that game, the tiny ass resolution gives me a literal headache.

Sir, may I direct your attention this way? Not only is there a mod to increase the resolution, but there is also a mod to increase the font size. An 80% increase is comfortable at 1280x800. There are also mods to fix bugs and restore quests that were originally cut due to time constraints. The only downsides to all this are that parts of the UI don't scale, and clicking on the tiny loot piles is a pain.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Cadmus wrote: »
    korodullin wrote:

They wanted to redo it in high res but everyone with a copy of the original art assets either threw out the backups or lost them. They have no dealings with Apple afaik, so don't expect it to be tied to the iPad3 release or for it to be exclusive to iOS.
    korodullin wrote:

I also thought the controls would suck, but it plays surprisingly well. I worked at beamdog when they signed the deal with Atari and Hasbro. As soon as they got the source code one of the guys decided to see how hard it would be to get BG2 running on an android tablet. Turns out it wasn't too hard, it played surprisingly well.

At the time they were just planning to up the res on all the art so don't take that as confirmation that it's a port, just that it could be ported if someone wanted to. I really don't know for certain what they are doing now but whatever it is, it will probably have at least some new content, not a full games worth by any means though.

Eh my experience with it was it was very hard to control

I mean yeah you can put it on easy and script all your guys and let combat go on its own, but its just so clunky (as with virtually every tablet based game)

override367 on
  • CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    Cadmus wrote: »
    korodullin wrote:

korodullin wrote:

Eh my experience with it was it was very hard to control

I mean yeah you can put it on easy and script all your guys and let combat go on its own, but its just so clunky (as with virtually every tablet based game)

Keep in mind that they have the source code and can fix all those things, it's not really comparable to the hacks that have been used to move BG1 to the BG2 engine or get it running on tablets in the past. There might have been some UI scaling going on or something when I tried it but it was damn smooth.

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    That sure was 1:32 of no information at all!

JtgVX0H.png
    Well that's kind of SOP for a teaser.

Also none of you have any idea how terribly hard it is to keep my hype level in check for this. Baldur's Gate 2 is bar-none my favorite game of all time and the mere proposition of a well-done HD remake is enough to set me into overdrive.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    im trying not to make a noise in the class im in

i may have blown a blood vessel

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    does that gamersgate deal register on steam?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If there is indeed a new BG game coming out, nobody will be more excited than me

on the other hand teaser/viral marketing like this is getting pretty fucking tired and annoying

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    THEY CHANGED THE SOURCE CODE AGAIN!
    <!-- February 29, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! -->

Oh, and the bottom says:
    <!-- I can teach you how to use your wrath. -->

SniperGuy on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    So bits from BG1 and 2.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I always loved the unused ideas that are floating around for BG3, so if any of that actually got made I'd be pretty psyched.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I just hope it's a reboot or a remake, and not a direct sequel. That ending was just too complete to go on from there.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Also, I'm not sure I'd really trust any company to really make a good sequel with black isle split everywhere and bioware's current fet-fascination with romances

steam_sig.png
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    If I recall BG3 was going to be an entirely new story, so it would be a big ol' bag of stupid to try and continue things at all, much less over a decade later.

Not that I'd rule out that kind of stupid.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I want to see BG1 or 2 remade, unless they can somehow ensure that there's no dumbing down or catering to lowest common denominator.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I dunno, any "dumbing" from the albatross of AD&D would probably be a net positive, IMO.

But man, that spiral-bound tome that was BG2's manual is pretty classic. An entire 175 pages devoted to explaining how the fuck this goddamned game works.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I dunno, any "dumbing" from the albatross of AD&D would probably be a net positive, IMO.

But man, that spiral-bound tome that was BG2's manual is pretty classic. An entire 175 pages devoted to explaining how the fuck this goddamned game works.

Oh hey. You probably don't play and pnp rpgs if that manual impressed you.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So in regards to getting BG1 and BG2 off GoG, is it a download or do they send a CD. I'd check the website myself but its blocked at my office because my office is butts

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    GoG is all DRM free downloads.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    GoG is all DRM free downloads.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Whelp, time to pick up BG1 and BG2 then. Is there some super collection with everything I can get?

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I have an AD&D player's handbook in a stack next to me in fact. My point is, for a videogame manual (short of shit like Falcon 4.0), it was pretty impressive. Like, you open the box on your shiny new rpg and save the world and holy crap what the fuck is this do I have to read it.

It's neat they included a dnd bootcamp for those who want to explore the game deeper and didn't already know the system. On the other hand, I do not think my life has been enriched by knowledge of what THAC0 is.

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Could be a BG3 kickstarter revival for all we know.

Y'know, that'd be really awesome actually. Probably not the case, but still.

Atari own the rights to anything D&D related videogame wise, so I imagine they would not need to do so.

That info is incorrect.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Teaser is fake.

Uploaded 1 year ago.

Zek on
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ....FUUUUUUUUUUUU

edit: There's still something going on though, right? Right?

EVOL on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The teaser is most likely unrelated to the actual website. I hope. If it's a hoax I'm gonna be very upset.

Yeah that teaser was made by somebody totally unrelated. The ex-Bioware guy whose twitter is in the OP mentioned something about it yesterday.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Zxerol wrote: »

Oh hey. You probably don't play and pnp rpgs if that manual impressed you.

Baldurs gate and it's ilk was the one area where the natural D&D rules worked perfectly. It didn't matter that your warriors didn't have a tonne of impressive special powers because you played the entire party. It was immediately obvious that the wizards needed tanks and healers and so on, and that the rogues would do the cool flashy backstabs. Infinty engine forever!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Pffft. Tanks. Real men had a back row of thermonuclear bomb launching casters and a front row full of plated up clerics. Jaheira/Viconia assault force ftw.

Exception: If your character is a Kensai with the Celestial Fury you pretty much win everything ever.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Better inventory management would really really help for an updated BG2. Something like NWN's inventory would be perfect (also NWN's inventory is the best in any RPG/MMO ever.. conveys both space and weight).

steam_sig.png