As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How can I not use a DVD with a legal retail copy of The Sims using Origin?

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
I want to get around using my DVD with The Sims because my PC always scans the dang thing if it's in there when the scan hits. The BF got Sims on Origin and registered it there and doesn't have to use the DVD; why can't I just register it as well (which I did) and not have to use the DVD either? Origin shows that the game is in my library and everything.

Magic Pink on

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    I want to get around using my DVD with The Sims because my PC always scans the dang thing if it's in there when the scan hits. The BF got Sims on Origin and registered it there and doesn't have to use the DVD; why can't I just register it as well (which I did) and not have to use the DVD either? Origin shows that the game is in my library and everything.

Does Origin let you download your games? If it does I'd try uninstalling it, d/l from origin and reinstall.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    BALLS

That'll take like 2 days. Bugger. Ok, I'll give it a shot, thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't have too since Origin already detected them on there as legal and everything.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    BALLS

That'll take like 2 days. Bugger. Ok, I'll give it a shot, thanks. I was hoping I wouldn't have too since Origin already detected them on there as legal and everything.

I mean I'm just guessing here. But I figure the origin download won't include the DVD checking DRM, unlike the DVD install. Only legal way I could think of.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Redownloading / reinstalling from Origin will do the trick. This is what my wife did with her copies to avoid having to use the DVD.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust