As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Random thing that bugged me about the series: Where did new airbenders come from? I mean, they are all monks and nuns right? Where does the next generation come from?

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I believe only the higher ups, the rest are simply nomads. I mean Aang had kids and he was brought up as airbender.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote:
    Random thing that bugged me about the series: Where did new airbenders come from? I mean, they are all monks and nuns right? Where does the next generation come from?

There's two possibilities as I see it.

1. I think it's said by the creators that the Air Nomads aren't celibate. They don't participate heavily in the raising of their own children, clearly, but they do produce them.

2. An alternate hypothesis is that Air Nomads are basically recruited. Fellow Air Nomads who traveled the world found children capable of airbending and adopted them for the sake of teaching them to harness their gift. This would also match how, apparently, all Air Nomads are Airbenders.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Neaden wrote:

1. I think it's said by the creators that the Air Nomads aren't celibate. They don't participate heavily in the raising of their own children, clearly, but they do produce them.

2. An alternate hypothesis is that Air Nomads are basically recruited. Fellow Air Nomads who traveled the world found children capable of airbending and adopted them for the sake of teaching them to harness their gift. This would also match how, apparently, all Air Nomads are Airbenders.
    The problem with 1 for me is that Aangs parents are never even mentioned at all, which indicates to me that it was expected that he wouldn't know them. There were no women shown at the temple with the kids either. 2 doesn't work because it doesn't explain at how Sozin wiped out all the airbenders if they randomly were born into say Earth Kingdom citizens.

Neaden wrote:
    Neaden wrote:

The problem with 1 for me is that Aangs parents are never even mentioned at all, which indicates to me that it was expected that he wouldn't know them. There were no women shown at the temple with the kids either. 2 doesn't work because it doesn't explain at how Sozin wiped out all the airbenders if they randomly were born into say Earth Kingdom citizens.

Air Nomad temples are segregated along gender lines, which is why there's no ladies at the Southern Air Temple. As to the second, it's possible that, without anyone to teach airbending, the style essentially would need to be rediscovered by studying the Sky Bison, which were also wiped out. This also explains how there are more Airbenders that didn't descend from Aang in the new series. Bending isn't a dominant/recessive gene or anything.

Neaden wrote:
    Neaden wrote:

Air Nomad temples are segregated along gender lines, which is why there's no ladies at the Southern Air Temple. As to the second, it's possible that, without anyone to teach airbending, the style essentially would need to be rediscovered by studying the Sky Bison, which were also wiped out. This also explains how there are more Airbenders that didn't descend from Aang in the new series. Bending isn't a dominant/recessive gene or anything.
    Wait I thought it was which was why Benders are born to the separate tribes. I admit I am over thinking this though.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I'm almost certain that even if it isn't literally genetic, benders are born from their tribes. That's why their whole world is divided like that.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Monks(both the girls and guys would be Monks) don't necessarily have to be celibate. As for never mentioning the father and Mother like everybody has said the tribes are gender segregated. North and South are Male and West and East are Female(I think). So the mother would never be mentioned. As for the father it would be my guess from the glimpses we get of the the tribes that they do not operate on anything close to the normal family structure. They most likely don't have specific parents with the whole tribe acting as one big family. Monk Gyatso and Aangs grew close and formed a psudo-Father-son bond which I bet isn't at all rare amongst the Air Tribes.

So I dug the the Promise but felt the fight in the middle was a little forced.

Quire.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the air bender society only breaks if you try to force it through the 'nuclear family' and 'celibate monk' filters, neither of which necessarily apply; after all, celibate priesthoods are normally reserved to doomsday cults and the nuclear family is a very modern invention.
    Plus it's entirely possible that Aang, being recognised as the Avatar when very young, was treated differently, skewing what was shown.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    New trailer!

http://tv.ign.com/articles/121/1219419p1.html

It does look like Korra will be debuting soon as they're gearing up with the advertising.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    oh man new stuff!

Avatar press conference! Earthbending a car! Tenzin speaks!

AAAH WHY CAN'T I WATCH IT NOW

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, the air bender society only breaks if you try to force it through the 'nuclear family' and 'celibate monk' filters, neither of which necessarily apply; after all, celibate priesthoods are normally reserved to doomsday cults and the nuclear family is a very modern invention.
    Plus it's entirely possible that Aang, being recognised as the Avatar when very young, was treated differently, skewing what was shown.
    Well it also breaks because they are monks, so how are they getting their money and food and what happens to the non benders, but I'll let it slide since the show is really good.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    Well it also breaks because they are monks, so how are they getting their money and food and what happens to the non benders, but I'll let it slide since the show is really good.

100% of air nomads are benders. As for the money and food, I dunno - how do real monks take care of that stuff?

• Z0reZ0re Registered User regular

100% of air nomads are benders. As for the money and food, I dunno - how do real monks take care of that stuff?

I assume the Air Nomads grow their own food and don't use money.

The Water Tribes don't seem to use money either, only the Earth and Fire Nations seem to have economic systems advanced enough to support anything beyond barter.

Z0re wrote: »

I assume the Air Nomads grow their own food and don't use money.

The Water Tribes don't seem to use money either, only the Earth and Fire Nations seem to have economic systems advanced enough to support anything beyond barter.
    Hm? The characters specifically have watertribe money in one of the episodes, so the Northern tribe has money at least. The Southern tribe as we see it is pretty much a post apocalyptic society so we don't know what they would have had before.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Air Nomads are raised by their elders at the temples. Every Monk we see is an old person, which probably means they are air nomads grandparents and the like.

The Kids are raise at the temples because bending requires training no matter what level of talent(its the centerpiece of the show) and the lifespan of a air nomad child that can't bend yet is very low.

It would make sense for the kids to be raise by their elders/grandparents while the parents are out in the world (earning a living?) or finding food. Its how nomad societies work in the real world after all. Using temples reflects the spiritual nature of bending and the fact that every air nomad needs to learn it in order to become part of the tribe.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I seem to remember Mike and Bryan saying something like "We never came up with a true set of rules for bending and who can become a bender because we know the immense bullshit of what Lucas did to the Force in Star Wars". That last part might not be entirely acurate however.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!

No it doesn't because neither is an issue. Food is easily grown and sustainable. Money is only necessarily if you want something from someone else. Presumably the Air Temple makes sure everybody gets what they need and our brief glimpses of the Air Temple seem to show is that they are very minimalist.

Quire.jpg
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I seem to remember Mike and Bryan saying something like "We never came up with a true set of rules for bending and who can become a bender because we know the immense bullshit of what Lucas did to the Force in Star Wars". That last part might not be entirely acurate however.

Well, we do know that at least a part of bending is the culture.

Quire.jpg
    So Nick put up some bios of the characters in the show, nothing really new except we have a first name for Cheif BeiFong.

ibxEBYy6gMP3wX.png

2ohWien.png
    "determined to push bring the Avatar"

"determined to push bring the Avatar"

That isn't the worst Avatar bio mistake they made, for a couple of moths they had a picture of play Iroh for Iroh's bio.

Also amazing background from Korra Nation.

ib0c6QNm2LskmI.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Why, that's almost large enough to make my desktop background!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Jeez, it still looks so weird to go from medieval China to 1920's New York in only 80 years.

Though somebody did point out it's not that far a leap if you compare 1920 to 1840. Still blows my fragile little mind though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Jeez, it still looks so weird to go from medieval China to 1920's New York in only 80 years.

Though somebody did point out it's not that far a leap if you compare 1920 to 1840. Still blows my fragile little mind though.
    It's easy to forget how bizarre the past 200 or so years have been and how much has changed. I mean, consider that it took 58 years to go from the first plane flight to the first man in space.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Yeah I put up pictures of Hong Kong from both periods. It fits fairly well, we're just not really used to seeing the massive change brought by the industrial revolution.

Edit: And yeah as mentioned above being a monk does not require celibacy. It's entirely up to the belief system.

Quid on

More importantly, it's a comparison of 1920 to 1840 when 1840 has tanks, blimps, jetskis, trains, and giant drill machines.

let's say more like 1860 to 1940 then

because 1860 had

ussmonitorreviewbg_1.jpg

izOSLOCUf4koU.jpg
    An early sketch design for Asami Sato - a young non-bender and daughter to a wealthy industrialist.

2ohWien.png
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Wealthy industrialist ... Cabbages?

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That looks like an old leather flight helmet w/goggles in her hand in the top-middle sketch. Could be descended from the guy that took over the air temple I guess?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited February 2012
    Not Korra, but this ad is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8T3Yj-0dmg

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Not Korra, but this ad is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8T3Yj-0dmg

Man, I was already trying not to watch Avatar again. This doesn't help at all.

brb Netflix.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Concept art of Aang's statue.

i8kBKD0hJOLPI.jpg

Also new profile pics of Bolin, Mako and Tenzin that I think are a lot better.

iGZ164ZJ3J3Fy.jpg

jWNA4a5EgcN2u.jpg

ibjBivc5x9INRW.jpg

I might have to cosplay Bolin in the near future.

Ms Dapper on
    2ohWien.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

More importantly, it's a comparison of 1920 to 1840 when 1840 has tanks, blimps, jetskis, trains, and giant drill machines.