As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] 1st Annual PAX Cigar Smoker: The Cult of the Leaf - Friday night at 2 AM!

• Options
    Icarus027Icarus027 Registered User regular
    I always enjoy a nice stogie. I'm definitely down for smoking with you guys. Either 2 am or the afternoon works for me. My cigar tastes typically lie with darker tobacco, but I'm not picky. I just wish I could sip on a nice dark stout while we partake.

Trust me, I'm (almost) a doctor.
  • Options
    The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    bradpokey wrote: »
    I'm seriously happy this popped up!
    My wife and I have been looking forward to our weekend date for PAX-East for months now..this just adds to the fun knowing I won't be alone in my cigar cloud.
    Though she doesn't smoke, we will both gladly add to this and meet some new friends. I'm usually a 1 cigar-a-day smoker - a ritual after dinner cigar on my porch in Austin. We'll be staying at the Westin Waterfront and I'll ask the concierge about cigar bars in the area.

FELLOW AUSTINITE! Moved up here in Aug. 2011 (Syracuse,NY).. Wife is at SU PhD program. God do i miss me some Heroes and Legacies. /me sighs

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Hey all, just made an update to the thread summarizing the current status. Unfortunately, I keep getting jerked around by Churchill's Lounge (they keep telling me that the guy who schedules events will be in "tomorrow" and then I call the next day and they say the same thing), so at this point, I'm abandoning all plans of trying to set up something indoors, even as a contingency. It'll be outside, or nothing. We'll just cross our fingers and hope that the weather cooperates. Please note that, even though this thread will probably go dormant again until just before PAX, this event is still happening, so watch this space, or follow me on Twitter (@KoalaBro2). I haven't posted anything to Twitter yet, but I will once I have things that need announcing.

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Given the way events are stacking up, I'd vote for an afternoon type dealio :) But I'll come to a 2 am thing unless it totally is impossible too. Friday sounds better than saturday for me, for that, since I'll die before I miss the Protomen, but I might wander away from sat's concerts.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    Kiashien wrote:
    Given the way events are stacking up, I'd vote for an afternoon type dealio :) But I'll come to a 2 am thing unless it totally is impossible too. Friday sounds better than saturday for me, for that, since I'll die before I miss the Protomen, but I might wander away from sat's concerts.

Remember, 2 AM is after the concerts end. That was the whole point of the time we chose in the first place, that it will not overlap with any PAX events.

• Options
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Kiashien wrote:

Remember, 2 AM is after the concerts end. That was the whole point of the time we chose in the first place, that it will not overlap with any PAX events.

..That was the point. I'm GOING to Friday's concerts, so 2 am on friday is more doable than saturday at 2 am, since on saturday I'm more likely to have gone somewhere else for the late-night scene. :) Protomen are friday, not Saturday ;)

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha. I was confused, because I always stay at the convention center until 2, whether at the concerts or the freeplay areas, or whatever.

• Options
    d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    I'm in. A nice Macallan 18 and anything maduro wrapped is perfect.

I'd be interested in learning about pipes, though. The closest I ever got to pipes was when I rolled up some pipe tobacco at a gig that a friend of mine was playing because I wanted a cigar and that was the closest I could work it.

• Options
    reverend_tobiasreverend_tobias Registered User regular
    I might be up for coming to this. I'll have to dig out my pipe (haven't smoked since I moved to NC a few months ago :\), but I'll definitely be around after the concerts.

• Options
    gn0xgn0x Arizona, USARegistered User regular
    I'm really trying to find a way to make it out to PAXEast this year. This thread is all the more reason to make it happen! Very cool to see some additional cigar fans of the gaming varietal!

I've found a local guy in AZ that is an 11th generation Mayan/Cuban cigar roller. He gets his tobacco from family farms in Honduras and D.R., and rolls all of his cigars himself. He ages ALL tobacco for minimum 15 years, including filler, not just the wrapper. If I can make it out, I'll try to bring some extra in case folks are interested. He usually bills $1/year of age, from 15-100 year old cigars. but they are some of the smoothest i've tried :P once you get to know him, custom rolls cigars for you based on your feedback of what you like (earthy, mild, strong, spicy, etc).

anyway, good to see this post, and hope I can make it!

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    So have we finalized the time of Saturday night after the concerts? If so, where shall we meet?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    I will definitely go if details are finalized.

• Options
    So have we finalized the time of Saturday night after the concerts? If so, where shall we meet?

It's still friday-or-saturday at 2 am, weather permitting. Hopefully friday!

...as a side note, the weather in Boston is looking good for PAX so far... Freak-surprise-ultra-nor'easter-ice-storm notwithstanding (Yes, we get them in april sometimes.)

• Options
    Kiashien wrote:

It's still friday-or-saturday at 2 am, weather permitting. Hopefully friday!

...as a side note, the weather in Boston is looking good for PAX so far... Freak-surprise-ultra-nor'easter-ice-storm notwithstanding (Yes, we get them in april sometimes.)

Couldn't have said it better myself. We're leaning toward Friday, but can't state anything definitively until we get within a week and see weather reports. I was going to post a map from Google of where the meeting place will be, but upon further reflection, I decided to hold off until the official PAX East map goes up, whenever that might be.

• Options
    Will someone be distributing Challenge coins at the meeting?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular

I believe there are at least two of the will call challenge coins distributors planning on attending this, so yes.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Khadour wrote: »

I believe there are at least two of the will call challenge coins distributors planning on attending this, so yes.

Since Khadour is one, and I'm another, and Koala is another... at least 3.

• Options
    Well then, please bring me coins and I will pay you back with smiles and cigar smokes! :D

• Options
    jeffiethepiratejeffiethepirate Registered User new member
    I will bring along a few pipes and maybe a pound of cavendish. If anyone reminds me, I'll also bring some Scotch.

@jeffiethepirate

• Options
    avsfan590avsfan590 Registered User regular
    This sounds like an awesome idea hands down. Just curious though do you have to be 21 to buy cigars or is it 18 in boston?

• Options
    avsfan590 wrote: »
    This sounds like an awesome idea hands down. Just curious though do you have to be 21 to buy cigars or is it 18 in boston?

Should just be 18, I've never heard of anywhere in the US with a smoking age of 21.

• Options
    Alright, main post has been updated with a map of our gathering point (by the Media Tower, just across the street to the right as you exit the convention center):
    http://bieneman.org/PAX/CigarMap.jpg

Also, please see a picture of the Media Tower itself. It'll presumably look a bit different (it'll be showing PAX-related stuff), and we'll be gathering around the base of that.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6172/6170094023_2b3eee79c3_b.jpg

• Options
    Hey guys, I'm 20 years old and Canadian so I'm not asking this because I'm underage. Can somebody bring me a pack of Backwoods Honeyberry (or something along those lines) cigars. I just don't want the hassle of bringing tobacco across the border.

• Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    right on! I will be there for sure!!! That is.. if you all won't judge me for smoking poor person cigars :P

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys, I'm 20 years old and Canadian so I'm not asking this because I'm underage. Can somebody bring me a pack of Backwoods Honeyberry (or something along those lines) cigars. I just don't want the hassle of bringing tobacco across the border.

Sure, But i think i might have to end up buying it in boston. Are these Cuban?

avsfan590 on
  • Options
    rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    cooooool.. will be there hopefully with my buddy and his fiancee... classy classy...

• Options
    a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular

MASeffect wrote: »
    right on! I will be there for sure!!! That is.. if you all won't judge me for smoking poor person cigars :P

ya i am probably gana do the same thing and get a white owl or a game green from somewhere.unless i have money to get a nice 1 at a cigar shop.

• Options

I don't believe so.

• Options
    peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular

They are not Cuban.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

tl;dr It is illegal for US citizens to buy Cuban origin cigars. Please do not discuss them on these forums.

7B14287.png
  • Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Hello all. I have been to Pax East since the first show and I am psyched to be going again! Hopefully I will make this and get to meet some of you all!

• Options

[/quote]

They are not Cuban.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Documents/ccigar2.pdf

tl;dr It is illegal for US citizens to buy Cuban origin cigars. Please do not discuss them on these forums.[/quote]

Its why i was asking.

• Options
    peetsnack wrote: »
    tl;dr It is illegal for US citizens to buy Cuban origin cigars. Please do not discuss them on these forums.

We don't have to be *that* hardass. There's nothing wrong with discussing Cuban cigars in general terms (for example, I can mention that I don't particularly care for them, and think they're overhyped, as there have been periods in the past when small quantities for personal consumption were legal for US citizens, and it's still legal to smoke gifted Cubans abroad). And there's certainly nothing wrong with someone who agrees to buy cigars for someone else checking to be sure they're not Cuban, as I believe avsfan590 was trying to do. But yeah, no discussion of how to illegally obtain Cuban cigars in the US, or how to illegally transport Cuban cigars into the US, please.

11 days to PAX! 8 days until we make the call on which day appears to have better weather.

• Options
    There are several cigar shops in downtown boston that i am pretty sure have a wide variety of LEGAL cigars and are quite good at recommendations if you are a cigar noob. This way you don't have to have any hassle buying them aslong as your 18+ . Later i can post locations and website URLs if anyone is interested

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    There are a couple great shops downtown but nothing terribly close to PAX. I would try to bring your own to smoke and gift if possible.

• Options
    ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    peetsnack wrote: »

We don't have to be *that* hardass. There's nothing wrong with discussing Cuban cigars in general terms (for example, I can mention that I don't particularly care for them, and think they're overhyped, as there have been periods in the past when small quantities for personal consumption were legal for US citizens, and it's still legal to smoke gifted Cubans abroad).

http://cigars.about.com/od/legalhealthissues/a/cubancigars.htm
    In fact, the embargo was made even more restrictive in 2004. United States citizens cannot legally acquire or consume Cuban cigars, even while traveling abroad.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • Options
    JayDfromMA wrote: »
    There are a couple great shops downtown but nothing terribly close to PAX. I would try to bring your own to smoke and gift if possible.

Would recommend that only if your crossing states. If you try to bring smokes from canada to US there is probably. Going to be a little bit of extra hassle.

• Options
    Anyways, Is there any official time last thing i read it was at 2 AM?

• Options
    Anyways, Is there any official time last thing i read it was at 2 AM?

Correct, time is 2 AM. Date is to be determined (we'll decide based on next Tuesday's weather report), but all things being equal, we'll aim for Friday night.

(Regarding the Cuban cigar thing, the treasury.gov link specified buying or importing, and I'd regard that as more authoritative than about.com, so I stand by my statement. In any event, my consumption was based on the fact that it was pre-2004 when the regs were looser.)

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I need to pick some cigars up locally (for other gatherings, as well as possibly attending this) can anyone suggest a good cigar store in Boston? Close to the BCEC preferred but I am there as of this Friday so having to transit around a bit isn't a problem.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I'm going to be bringing a bunch of things to share - mostly a bunch of Erin Go Braghs (Irish whiskey infused) that were on clearance after St. Patrick's Day, but also some things that haven't been getting much love in my humi. In case I'm working when the event begins, I'll send them with someone else.