As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trenches comic: Thursday March 1, 2012 - No More Punch

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-HS6RRNn.jpg
Mysterious Seams

03/01/2012 - Anonymous

The product was nearing release. I think Gold was either days or weeks away. However, a mass panic suddenly swarmed the office. The publisher had a problem.

Their testing team had discovered something so heinous that the whole project was in jeopardy. Due to the freeform nature of the game in question, at certain angles at certain frames of animation players could see up the female characters skirts.

The problem was two fold:
1. At some of these frames, a crease would appear between the characters’ legs, giving the appearance of a vagina.
2. For even fewer of the models (specifically if they had pink clothes), this crease might be punctuated with a single pink vertex.

Due to the fact that this game wasn’t particularly aiming for the “fan service” market, this meant that every frame, of every animation, of every model had to be checked at every angle.

The game had customisable characters and thousands of animations.

In the end the clunge hunt was completely unnecessary. They just changed the models.

Always the easy answer.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    A friend of mine tested a game about a young wizard in boarding school that had a big problem with a basilisk that looked like a penis.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I think I've read a few fanfictions similar to that.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    A friend of mine tested a game about a young wizard in boarding school that had a big problem with a basilisk that looked like a penis.

Bah a snake with rooster like qualities looking like a Penis? Absurd.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    I think I've read a few fanfictions similar to that.

I saw a particularly unusual one about a giant squid getting mad rutty with Hogwarts Castle itself.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    It is a good thing they found it. If it had gone unnoticed then it would have upped the age rating of the game dramatically. Depending on how realistic it looked. This could have been hot coffee all over again.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    I had to Google "clunge."

• GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I know it's not the same game, but I'm pretty sure Dead Island had an issue crop up where one of the female characters wore no panties and could be knocked down for a momentary upskirt.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    if only those irresponsible devs would just create the models with accurate leg/panty physics to begin with; really get in there and make sure it looks ok in the design phase, then we wouldn't have these issues cropping up later.

• NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    For even fewer of the models (specifically if they had pink clothes), this crease might be punctuated with a single pink vertex.
    Best line in a Trenches story so far.

• AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    For even fewer of the models (specifically if they had pink clothes), this crease might be punctuated with a single pink vertex.
    Best line in a Trenches story so far.

From this day forward, I'll be using that term exclusively.

My claim to fame is to please all pink vertices.

WNskB.jpg
  • Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Honestly, I'd say it reflects more on the sad state of western society than anything else that a potential of a certain pathetic player's specific quest to undermine perspective and textured-garments in order to gain a glimpse of a poorly-rendered virtual female genitals could result in the discontinued production of a game or revoke its ESRB rating post-release.

One day, some red lines need to be drawn.

There's distinct difference between overtly sexual-oriented content hidden buried within released retail game ("Hot Coffee incident") and...whatever this is...I don't even know how to describe this sort of thing. Animator's 'error'?

Ori Klein on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    One day, some red lines need to be drawn.

That will be a whole other can of worms