As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Gesundheit; Sneeze of Mystery

• YannYann Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    So let's talk Empire.

I know they're getting new kits in April ish, but what does that mean if I'm considering starting them? Should I hold off on the battalion or get it asap, before they crap it up like tomb kings? New book inbound?

The only thing in the current battalion that is somewhat sketchy are the knights. The state troops are great (in my opinion, some people disagree) and probably won't get redone. The Great Swords look amazing (but are not to cost efficient if you care about that sort of thing, again in my opinion) and will almost definitely not get redone.

The knights are decent, but the horses are really, really old. Some people mention the resemblance to ponies. But there is no guarantee that they will get redone either!

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Yeah, if I can find an escalation league or something around here, I think I might start a Beastman army. Because fuck the hundreds of dollars worth of models I already have.

I hate my brain.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Lezta wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:
    They haven't had a new book for... a while. IIRC the newest is from late 7th edition. 8th is very kind to elite, slow troops and war machines, so dwarfs fared *very* well (alongside Empire and Lizardmen, I'd say).

Actually I think it was the last book released for 6th? It's really old. On the other hand, it's still pretty solid considering. Just wish it was a bit more exciting.

It is a really solid book and there are some great units in there. I have heard rumblings that they will be getting an 8th ed book and it will allow them to actually participate in the magic phase in some manner other than arcane cock-blocking.

But take that with a generous amount of salt.

A giant mountain of salt in fact. That's actually less than rumour and more pure speculation based on the 'apparent' trend of armies with unusual magic systems getting normalised hard with their new books; specifically tomb kings and ogres. As such, someone came up with the rather silly idea that the dwarfs would get a spell lore just like everyone else and that runesmiths would become wizards.
    The thing is, dwarfs don't have an unusual magic system; they just don't have spells at all, which doesn't actually break anything or every army would be required to take a wizard. They make up for this with their racial resistance to magic which is already hard-coded into the rules and won't likely be removed by an army book.

In short, dwarfs aren't getting wizards and spells, though the eternally changing (back in fifth edition it did literally cast a spell) Anvil of Doom rules may confuse the issue a little.

And yeah, the dwarfs have managed to go an edition without a book update, though their book was designed as seventh edition was being finalised so it was more compatible with it than many of its predecessors.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    zenpotato wrote: »
    Yeah, if I can find an escalation league or something around here, I think I might start a Beastman army. Because fuck the hundreds of dollars worth of models I already have.

I hate my brain.

If you do start a Beastmen army, the battalion box is a great value simply because you'll want bestigors and they're $41 for 10 of them or whatever they're at now. I love the look of the models and the fluff is really cool. Check out Broken Honour. It is a pretty cool story with entire chapters written from the Beastmen view.

You're from Mid-Michigan, aren't you? You should come up to GS for the 2,200 point tourney this weekend.

E26cO.jpg
    mugginns wrote: »

I hate my brain.

If you do start a Beastmen army, the battalion box is a great value simply because you'll want bestigors and they're $41 for 10 of them or whatever they're at now. I love the look of the models and the fluff is really cool. Check out Broken Honour. It is a pretty cool story with entire chapters written from the Beastmen view.

You're from Mid-Michigan, aren't you? You should come up to GS for the 2,200 point tourney this weekend.

Yup, I live in Lansing. Tempted to come out and watch a few games... where's this tourney at again?

edited February 2012

I hate my brain.

Yup, I live in Lansing. Tempted to come out and watch a few games... where's this tourney at again?

Info at our blog here. I work on the west side of Lansing... went into Fortress the other day, still same old stock, lol. Evo is probably closing down. =(

Edit: if you're able to do the drive (I live in Swartz Creek, near Flint - it is about 45 mins... I do it twice a day) on Wednesday nights we have been playing fantasy. There is a decent group, and they're doing an escalation campaign.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited February 2012
    That's a shame. Evo is a really nice store. I don't get over there much, but they're easily the nicest store in Lansing. 21st Century is carrying GW now, so maybe people are playing there. Fortress is a hole. I'd rather play at 21st Century any day.

zenpotato on
    Yeah the problem with 21st Century and Fortress are they're a pain in the booty to get to. I don't want to have to pay to park at the nerd store.

E26cO.jpg
    Yeah the problem with 21st Century and Fortress are they're a pain in the booty to get to. I don't want to have to pay to park at the nerd store.

If you're there after 6pm or the weekend, all the parking on campus right across Grand River from 21st Century is free.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Psh. Real warhams aren't playing on the weekends. We're too busy making sex at all the girls.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    How I make sex at girls? D6 or...?

snm_sig.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Psh. Real warhams aren't playing on the weekends. We're too busy making sex at all the girls.
    Says the guy who was warhamming it up at my female-free apartment at 3 a.m. on A Saturday. :P

How is 21st these days? I've only been there once after it moved to the 2nd floor location, but it was my favorite comic/gaming shop while I was at MSU.

Says the guy who was warhamming it up at my female-free apartment at 3 a.m. on A Saturday. :P

How is 21st these days? I've only been there once after it moved to the 2nd floor location, but it was my favorite comic/gaming shop while I was at MSU.

Nice. They've moved things around a bit, but overall still pretty nice. They have an RPG table, 3 or 4 4x6' gaming tables, and then 4 Mechwarrior pods in the back you can rent for $10/45 minutes (I think). They've really expanded their mini selection too. Honestly, I'm not sure why The Fortress is still in business. I think it must be the MTG crowd keeping them open, as 21st is a much cooler store and now carries GW stuff. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Morskittar wrote:

Roll for penetration.

Morskittar wrote:

Roll for penetration.

Succeed on a 7+.

Nice. They've moved things around a bit, but overall still pretty nice. They have an RPG table, 3 or 4 4x6' gaming tables, and then 4 Mechwarrior pods in the back you can rent for $10/45 minutes (I think). They've really expanded their mini selection too. Honestly, I'm not sure why The Fortress is still in business. I think it must be the MTG crowd keeping them open, as 21st is a much cooler store and now carries GW stuff. I'll take a picture next time I'm there.
    Man, you should hit Gamers Sanctuary in Flint. I've been to 21st and it was pretty nice (must have been 3-4 years ago)... but GS is really the best FLGS I've been to.

I stopped in at lunch and apparently Evo has an undetermined future after March.

E26cO.jpg
    I stopped in at lunch and apparently Evo has an undetermined future after March.

I guess that means they probably won't be starting up another WHFB escalation league after the recent one just finished. I'll probably head up to Gamer's Sanctuary sometime, but it's kind of a long drive there and back on a weeknight. I may check out this tourney this weekend, although I hate to be the socially awkward guy watching other people play Warhammer. :)

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Morskittar wrote:

Roll for penetration.

Succeed on a 7+.
    You need a 6, then a 4?

I guess that means they probably won't be starting up another WHFB escalation league after the recent one just finished. I'll probably head up to Gamer's Sanctuary sometime, but it's kind of a long drive there and back on a weeknight. I may check out this tourney this weekend, although I hate to be the socially awkward guy watching other people play Warhammer. :)

Yeah just come in and find me, I'll be wearing a gray Fresh Coast 40k t-shirt. It is a really nice store with plenty o' stuff to look at, plus you can check out Rider's which is very close as well, and there are lots of places for food.

E26cO.jpg
    mr_mich wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:

Roll for penetration.

Succeed on a 7+.
    You need a 6, then a 4?

Bring more dice?

snm_sig.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Morskittar wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:

Roll for penetration.

Succeed on a 7+.
    You need a 6, then a 4?

Bring more dice?

Nah, you just aim for achievable goals instead of striking out twice in a row. You guys have seen "a Beautiful Mind" right?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Did a model inventory tonight. I, uhhh, had more than I remembered.

I forgot that I had traded for the dwarf part of a second Battle for Skull Pass box. The sad thing is these really aren't even enough dwarfs to get a good throng going with the massive numbers most people seem to run in 8th. And they're mostly equipped with a hand weapon and shield, which is a major faux pas (GWs are back in style this season for the fashionable dwarf warrior).

Might end up seeing if I can trade some of this stuff, but for the most part I think the dwarfs will stay in boxes. The idea of only playing in 2 out of 4 phases (combat and shooting) doesn't appeal to me much at the moment.

Big list of models spoilered:
    *Eldar*
    Warp spiders box (x5 space elfies)

*Black Templars*
    Emperor's Champion

*Dwarfs*
    Dwarf lord and standard bearer box (x2 dwarfs)
    Hammerer command box (x5 dwarfs)
    Hammerer box (x5 dwarfs)
    Hammerers (x5, metal unprimed)
    Bolt Thrower box (x3 crew)
    Bolt Thrower box (x3 crew)
    Organ gun (partly assembled)
    Cannon/OG crew sprue (x3 dwarfs)
    Quarrellers (x7, unassembled, might have been ranger prototypes)
    Longbeards/warriors (hw+s, x3 painted as LBs, x6 unassembled, x3 FC)
    Unidentified dwarfs (leftovers are either quarrellers or warriors x9)
    Miners (BfSP plastics, x10 primered, x3 FC)
    Random dwarf with hammer and pistol (x1 thunderer champion?)
    Thunderers (BfSP plastics, x20 [x10 primered/started, x10 bare)
    Cannon w/crew (BfSP, x3, mostly painted)
    Slayer (BfSP, x2)
    Thane/hw+s (BfSP, x2)
    Thane w/GW (x1, primered)
    Runesmith (x1, partially painted)
    Warriors w/hw+s (BfSP, x37 primered, FC x2 (6 models))
    Warriors w/GW (x14, x1 musician)
    Warrior sprues w/1 body
    Quarreller sprues w/10 bodies
    _________
    Meanwhile, in another box (must have not been in my planned list)
    Warriors w/hw+s (BfSP, x5, FC x2)
    Cannon w/crew x2 (6 dwarfs, 2 cannons)
    Miners (BfSP, x5, FC x2)
    Thunderers (BfSP, x8, x4 musicians, x3 champions, x3 standard bearers)
    Pony cart x2

*Greenskins*
    Orc Warboss on boar and BSB kit
    Goblin wolfriders (x10, 5 assembled, 5 loose)
    Orc Chariot (x2 orcs)
    Goblin Spider-riders (BfSP, x10, including FC)
    Orc Warboss w/2hw
    Goblin Boss (BfSP, littly squiggy)
    Goblin Shaman(BfSP)
    Troll (BfSP)
    Orc Warriors (x17, HW+S mostly, though no shields are on, Champion and Musician, and somewhere a standard bearer that's half painted for a total of x19)
    Night Goblin archers (BfSP, x18)
    Night Goblins w/spear+shield (BfSP, x34)
    Misc Night goblin command (SBx3, musicianx3, champx2)

*Misc*
    Giant plastic kit (off sprue and partially painted)

(The dice are my penis.)

Moving on...

I've seen Dwarfs be very successful in 8th at low model counts. A few units of 10-strong clansmen with sword/shield can be incredible speed bumps. They can outmaneuver and pin many basic troops four times their size. Goddamn annoying.

snm_sig.jpg
    Finished up my minotaur unit.
    %255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

More pics and my thoughts on the models at Fresh Coast 40k.

E26cO.jpg
    (The dice are my penis.)

Moving on...

I've seen Dwarfs be very successful in 8th at low model counts. A few units of 10-strong clansmen with sword/shield can be incredible speed bumps. They can outmaneuver and pin many basic troops four times their size. Goddamn annoying.

Dwarfs effectively having bolters in Fantasy doesn't hurt either.

(The dice are my penis.)

Moving on...

Dwarfs effectively having bolters in Fantasy doesn't hurt either.

I read that as "Dwarf bolters don't hurt" and was about to agree ;)

The Empire book seems pretty solid, especially considering its age. I may pull the trigger on this, despite still having a handful of WoC to paint. I'm worried they're going to add $10 worth of models to the Battalion and then charge $30 more for it.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Muggins really like minotaur butt, doesn't he?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I have a buddy of mine who plays empire, he loves em. They are a competative army as long as you know what your weakenss are and do your best to mitigate them. Pistoleers are amazing, your magic phase might be lacking but they do hold up well in combat as long as your have the numbers.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

I think this is gonna be my list for this weekend. Level four takes shadow, two level ones take beasts for wildform. Lord has the tormentor sword only so he has a magic weapon. Last night in a test game the minotaurs absolutely ran through stuff and I was able to protect them from shooting / magic.

2200pt Beastmen Roster (Standard)

Selections:
    * Lords (483pts)
    * Beastlord (223pts)
    Armour of Fortune, Crown of Command, Shield, Tormentor Sword
    * Great Bray-Shaman (260pts)
    Dispel Scroll, Wizard Level 4

* Heroes (356pts)
    * Bray-Shaman (75pts)
    Wizard Level 1
    * Bray-Shaman (75pts)
    Wizard Level 1
    * Wargor (206pts)
    Battle Standard Bearer, Gnarled Hide, Heavy armour, Shield, The Beast Banner

* Core (690pts)
    * Gor Herd (345pts)
    Foe-render, Musician, Standard Bearer
    * 40x Gor
    40x Additional hand weapon
    * Gor Herd (345pts)
    Foe-render, Musician, Standard Bearer
    * 40x Gor
    40x Additional hand weapon

* Special (671pts)
    * Minotaurs (561pts)
    Musician, Standard bearer
    * 9x Minotaurs
    9x Additional hand weapon
    * Razorgor Herd (55pts)
    Razorgor
    * Razorgor Herd (55pts)
    Razorgor

E26cO.jpg
    Rumors are afoot that Empire Battalions can no longer be reordered, because they're no longer in production. Now I'm really curious what to do.

The new VC Battalion makes me realize that they may change some stuff in the books, making units in the old battalion less desirable. The new TK battalion is so god awful though, I'm worried that they're going to add 5 archers and make the box $135.

I painted up my Great Bray Shaman and BSB.
    bray3.png

Untitled.png

bsb.png

E26cO.jpg
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    Needs more butts.

why are you smelling it?
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    That comment and your sig make one great post, skarsol.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    look at this fucking terrible list

Where is your poop stone?

SJ on
    edited March 2012
    I've thought aboot it, but I really have no idea how to use it effectively. I want to run forward and beat things, not sit my dudes around it to get shot up.

edit: fuck it, rainman you got me. I'll put a herdstone in and change up the list. Still taking nine minotaurs though.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    SJ wrote: »
    look at this fucking terrible list

Where is your poop stone?
    In the poopwall.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote: »
    The new VC Battalion makes me realize that they may change some stuff in the books, making units in the old battalion less desirable.

Battalions aren't about what's desireable. If it was, they'd have kept Zombies in the VC box (they're now an incredibly good tarpit, whereas previous they were outright terrible). Every VC player is now loading up on zombies. Battalions are usually about giving you a couple of core choices and a new kit (to help sell the new kits).

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Who wants some warhammer Werewolves?
    skinwolves.jpg
    forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/SKIN-WOLVES.html

and some froggies too
    arcfrog1.jpg
    forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/ARCANE_FROGS.html

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    I love the skin wolves, will definitely be picking up a unit of them.

E26cO.jpg
    I'm totes Team Jacob.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.