As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] Magic: The Gathering at PAX East

JennTJsJennTJs Registered User new member
edited February 2012 in PAX Archive
Hello all!

Once again, TJ Collectibles will be running the Magic events in the tabletop gaming area at PAX East. We'll have LOTS of events, and since the schedule is so large, click the spoiler tags below to view it. You can also view it in Google Docs with this link here.
Magic: The Gathering Events at PAX East 2012
Panels and Seminars
Wizards of the Coast – Magic: The Gathering Panel
Saturday, April 7 from 4:30-5:30 PM in the Cat Theater
Come and talk with the Magic creative team and get insight the world of Magic. Get a preview of the new Avacyn Restored expansion and much more. You’ll see new art, new cards, and you’ll even have a chance to pick up some Magic swag!

TJ Collectibles – Introduction to Organized Play Seminar
Friday and Saturday at 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM, Sunday at 1:00PM in the Magic Tournament area
Did you just learn how to play Magic: The Gathering? Learn all about play opportunities that Magic’s organized play programs provide. Longtime organizer and owner of TJ Collectibles, Tom Shea, will be on hand to help players find tournaments and resources for more enjoyable organized play experiences.

TJ Collectibles – Introduction to Magic: The Gathering Commander Seminar
Friday and Saturday at 12:30 PM, Sunday at 3:00PM in the Magic Tournament area
Come and learn all about the Magic Commander format from Commander enthusiasts, Peter Rochat and Bill Fenoff. They will explain how the format works, provide deck construction tips, game strategies, and explain why Commander is their favorite format to play.
Weekend-Long Public Events
Intro Pack League
Players who register will receive a Dark Ascension Intro Pack (one per person, while supplies last). Participating players will be matched up against other players for game play. After every 3rd game, players receive a promo card. Come to the public event area and play whenever you have time! Play the whole weekend! Intro Pack League runs from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM on Friday and Saturday, and 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM on Sunday.
Registration Cost: $15
Single-Elimination Events
Weekend-long, single-elimination Public Events have no specific start time. Registration for these events is continuously open and each event will start once the appropriate number of players has registered (Subject to space and judge availability). Single-elimination Public Events are available during the following hours:
Registration Opens: 10:00 AM on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Registration Closes: 8:00 PM on Friday and Saturday, 5:30 PM on Sunday.
Booster Draft events will be run using Innistrad and Dark Ascension boosters.
Format Cost Minimum Players Prizes*
Booster Draft $15 8 1st: 6 boosters, 2nd 4 boosters, 3rd & 4th 1 booster each
Standard, Modern, Extended $5 8 1st: 6 boosters, 2nd 4 boosters, 3rd & 4th 1 booster each
Legacy or Vintage $5 8 1st: 6 Boosters, 2nd 4 boosters, 3rd & 4th 1 booster each
2HG Booster Draft $30/Team 8 (4 Teams) 1st: 8 boosters, 2nd 4 boosters
Commander - Constructed $5 4 2 boosters per eliminated player
Commander - Limited $30 4 2 boosters per eliminated player
*All prizes are Innistrad and/or Dark Ascension boosters
Scheduled Public Events
The following applies to all scheduled Public Events at PAX East 2012:
• Registration opens 1 hour before each event’s scheduled start time and closes 15 minutes before the scheduled start time. Players should be seated at least 5 minutes before the scheduled start time.
• Booster pack prizes will be awarded based on attendance. Unless otherwise posted, top finishing players will receive boosters from current sets. Special events may offer special prizes as posted (i.e. netbook computer, Magic foil set, Magic foil uncut sheet, etc); in such events the winner of the special prize will receive only that prize.
• Participation in each event is subject to space and judge availability.
Friday, April 6
Start
Time Cost Description
11:00 AM $20 TCGPlayer.com MaxPoint Series Championship Qualifier – Standard Constructed
Swiss tournament with cut to top-4 single-elimination.
1st place qualifies for the TCG Player Championship and receives 36 boosters. Complete details of the TCG Player Championship can be found at http://magic.tcgplayer.com/maxpoint.

12:00 PM $30 Innistrad Block Sealed Deck
3 Innistrad and 3 Dark Ascension boosters per player.
1st place receives a netbook computer.
1:00 PM $10 Mini Master
Each player starts with 2 boosters and basic land. After each round, winners receive an additional booster to add to their deck.
Single-elimination.
1st place receives a complete set of Dark Ascension.
1:00 PM $8 Beginners Tournament
1 Sample Deck and 1 Magic 2012 booster per player.
Swiss only (4 rounds).
All players receive a promo card. 1st place receives a Magic Event deck.
2:00 PM $20 Twisted Booster Draft
Each player receives 3 random Magic boosters.
Single-Elimination
1st Place receives 6 boosters, 2nd place receives 4 boosters, and 3rd and 4th places each receive 1 booster.
3:00 PM $20 Innistrad Block Mini Sealed Deck
2 Innistrad and 2 Dark Ascension boosters per player.
Swiss tournament (number of round depends on the number of registered participants).
1st place receives a Dark Ascension foil, uncut sheet.
3:00 PM $10 Mini Master
Each player starts with 2 boosters and basic land. After each round, winners receive an additional booster to add to their deck.
Single-elimination.
1st place receives a complete set of Innistrad.
4:00 PM $8 Beginners Tournament
Swiss only (4 rounds).
4:00 PM $20 Twisted Booster Draft
Single-Elimination
1st Place receives 6 boosters, 2nd place receives 4 boosters, and 3rd and 4th places each receive 1 booster.
5:00 PM $10 Mini Master
Single-elimination.
1st place receives a complete foil set of Innistrad.
6:00 PM $10 Modern Constructed
1st place receives a From the Vault: Legends box set.
7:00 PM $30 Chase the Promos! - Innistrad Block Sealed Deck
Swiss tournament (4 rounds).
Participation Prize – All players each receive 1 promo card.
Prizes are based solely on points after 4 Swiss rounds, promo card choices are limited to one choice of each type available (no duplicates):
12pts: 4 promo cards & 4 boosters.
9-11pts: 2 promo cards & 2 boosters.
6-8pts: 1 promo cards & 1 booster.
8:30 PM $10 Mini Master
Single-elimination.
Saturday, April 7
Start
Time Cost Description
11:00 AM $20 TCGPlayer.com MaxPoint Series Championship Qualifier – Standard Constructed
1st place qualifies for the TCG Player Championship and receives 36 boosters. Complete details of the TCG Player Championship can be found at http://magic.tcgplayer.com/maxpoint.

Single-elimination.
Swiss only (4 rounds).
Single-Elimination
Swiss tournament (number of round depends on the number of registered participants).
Single-elimination.
1st place receives a complete foil set of Dark Ascension.
4:00 PM $8 Beginners Tournament
Swiss only (4 rounds).
4:00 PM $10 Mini Master
Single-elimination.
4:00 PM $20 Twisted Booster Draft
Single-Elimination
5:00 PM $10 Mini Master
Single-elimination.
6:00 PM $20 Legacy Constructed
1st place receives German language, black-bordered, Revised Edition Volcanic Island card.
7:00 PM $20
(per
Team) Team Mini Master
Each two-player team starts with 4 boosters and basic land to build 2 decks. After each round, winning teams receive 2 additional boosters to add to their decks.
Single-elimination.
1st place team members each receive a Dark Ascension foil, uncut sheet, 2nd place team members each receive a From the Vault: Legends box set.
7:00 PM None**
Innistrad Block Sealed Deck
**Note: Must have a PAX East 2012 Exhibitor Badge to participate.
Swiss tournament (4 rounds).
Participation Prize – All players each receive 1 promo card.
Prizes are based solely on points after 4 Swiss rounds, promo card choices are limited to one choice of each type available (no duplicates):
12pts: 4 promo cards & 4 boosters.
9-11pts: 2 promo cards & 2 boosters.
6-8pts: 1 promo cards & 1 booster.
8:30 PM $10 Mini Master
Single-elimination.
Sunday, April 8
Start
Time Cost Description

Single-elimination.
1st place receives a complete foil set of Dark Ascension.
Swiss only (4 rounds).
Single-Elimination
1st place receives a complete set of Dark Ascension.
Single-elimination.
1st place receives a complete set of Innistrad.
All awards:
Players must attend, compete (though not necessarily on the same team), and be listed as finishing in the applicable tournament for which he or she received the award. Failure to comply with these requirements will result in forfeiture of the award.
All taxes are the responsibility of the winner, and winners acknowledge Wizards' recommendation that they consult a tax advisor in their jurisdictions for questions regarding their tax liabilities.
Awards are subject to availability and may be changed and/or other awards substitute without notice, at Wizards sole discretion.
™ and © 2012 Wizards of the Coast LLC in the U.S.A. and other countries.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you have. You can drop me an email at jenn@tjcollect.com if you need anything!

We'll see you there!

JennTJs on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Hi Jenn,

Could you please edit your topic to include the [EAST] tag at the beginning?

Thanks!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Wow. That is a lot of Magic.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Options
    ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    Looking forward to playing!!!

I know at PAX Prime, there was a pre release party for Innistrad. Anyone know if there is a chance at having a Magic pre release party in Boston for Avacyn Restored?

• Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    Zakky wrote:
    Looking forward to playing!!!

I know at PAX Prime, there was a pre release party for Innistrad. Anyone know if there is a chance at having a Magic pre release party in Boston for Avacyn Restored?

The official pre-release is the end of April so if there's going to be anything it'll be coming directly from WotC I imagine, not a vendor :)

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    TJ ruined me last year, but in a good way :)

Though I consider myself a hard core geek, I had never got around playing MTG. A good deal of my PAX East 2011 was spent at the beginner's table. I lost 8 games out of 9, and that one game I won should not have counted because we both did mistakes in my favor.

I got hooked, badly, and it took all my will to leave the table to check out the rest of PAX.
    I sucked because I thought I could skip the tutoring portion since I had played a few minutes of the Duels of the Planeswalker game. Big mistake, in complete nubness I mixed in my entire booster pack + any other card that I would get after three games. I ended up with a deck that was both too fat and filled with lands / cards that did not match the color I was supposed to play.

I have no regrets about the sucking part. I learned, plus I got to play against great people such as SpectacledBear.

My love for MTG is still strong and I acquired tons of products since last year, but I still suck terribly at it. I think I would be overkill for the beginner's table but I would not last a minute at any other one either, so I'll probably just come by for a quick glance and see what's going on. At the very least, whatever I do, I'm going to try and not overdo Magic like I did last time, there is so much to do at PAX :)

TJ, thanks for helping me discover a great game. I hope to catch at least one panel!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

Though I consider myself a hard core geek, I had never got around playing MTG. A good deal of my PAX East 2011 was spent at the beginner's table. I lost 8 games out of 9, and that one game I won should not have counted because we both did mistakes in my favor.

I got hooked, badly, and it took all my will to leave the table to check out the rest of PAX.
    I sucked because I thought I could skip the tutoring portion since I had played a few minutes of the Duels of the Planeswalker game. Big mistake, in complete nubness I mixed in my entire booster pack + any other card that I would get after three games. I ended up with a deck that was both too fat and filled with lands / cards that did not match the color I was supposed to play.

I have no regrets about the sucking part. I learned, plus I got to play against great people such as SpectacledBear.

My love for MTG is still strong and I acquired tons of products since last year, but I still suck terribly at it. I think I would be overkill for the beginner's table but I would not last a minute at any other one either, so I'll probably just come by for a quick glance and see what's going on. At the very least, whatever I do, I'm going to try and not overdo Magic like I did last time, there is so much to do at PAX :)

TJ, thanks for helping me discover a great game. I hope to catch at least one panel!

Happy to play pickup games with newbies or people who don't want to interface with the match play :)

• Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    Looking forward to some MTG at PAX again this year! Already preparing to spend way to much money on sealed events.

• Options
    JennTJsJennTJs Registered User new member
    Unfortunately, there will be no Prerelease at PAX East. The Avacyn Restored Prerelease weekend is April 28-29. THere was a prerelease at PAX Prime because the gaming gods lined up the release dates with the convention itself. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing you all this year! PAX is going to be AWESOME!

• Options
    SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

Thanks for the mention Frugus! I remember that moment and it was definitely fun. :) Had a great time playing and learning about the game with you that night! It also sparked a love for the game for me as well. Found out how much I really loved Zendikar, didn't like New Phyrexia and liked Innistrad.

I'm planning on picking up a couple intro decks again this year as I'm still a little green around the edges and it'll give me a game to break out with my wife while we're getting some down time.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the team-mini master again. Need another Foil sheet!

• Options
    Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
    Hello everyone! There will be 2 panels that we are doing in the magic area for PAX. One will be on Commander by two of the guys at TJ's who are total commander enthusiasts and a second one on organized play so players will be able to become more involved in the game that we love. We are also adding to our staff more people to demo, walk the open play area and are adding a Deck Dr. The Deck Dr will be Peter R, who works at TJ's and fills this role in our store every week. Players will be able to show Peter decks of theirs and the Pete will make suggestions on how to make your deck play better. Please keep in mind that everyone has their opinion of what cards make decks better. This is our way to help newer players learn more about magic by having experienced players available to them.
    We are really looking forward to PAX this year!

Tom Shea
    TJ Collectibles

• Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    I have to be careful not to get sucked into this and spend all of my time playing Magic. I'm hooked.... bad.

Dr. Deck sounds useful. I actually think making my deck is more fun that playing it because you put so much of yourself into it. Of course nothing beats the feeling of cracking open up a new pack though.

• Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    I am just starting out with MTG and hope to have some games under my belt to maybe play a few games there.

• Options
    Tom819 wrote:
    I am just starting out with MTG and hope to have some games under my belt to maybe play a few games there.

If the intro league is anything like it was last year than that would be the place for you. Everyone there is a beginner or returning to the game. Last year it felt as if everyone was helping each other out even as we were playing against each other. There was also a person in place to teach you the game from A to Z and other personnel were available on hand to answer questions. I had a lot of fun at those tables, met some really nice people, in fact I don't remember meeting anyone I did not like.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm interested in playing in one of the sealed leagues, how do I sign up and about how long will a single elimination league last if I go 2 or 3 and get knocked out (realistically the most likely scenario)?

zepherin on
  • Options
    WarrWarr Registered User new member
    Awesome. Was curious if there was any word of M:TG artists who will be in attendance as well.

• Options
    You can sign up for intro deck league at the beginning each day all day. You recieve an intro deck, that you build and play. You don't get knocked out after three games you go to the demo dude for a prize card. You can play all weekend once you enter the league.

Magic artist Lars Grant West is coming to PAX and will be in our area.

Tom

• Options
    Tom Shea wrote:
    You can sign up for intro deck league at the beginning each day all day. You recieve an intro deck, that you build and play. You don't get knocked out after three games you go to the demo dude for a prize card. You can play all weekend once you enter the league.

Tom

Is there anything like the intro league, but aimed at people who are a bit more comfortable with the game? Anything for people who are bad, rusty or simply coming back to the game after a little while?

I really like MTG but I can only play part time as an avid enthusiast. I know my way around, more than a new comer, and I think it would be a terrible idea for me to play against others in the intro league. On the other hand I also know I would just get decimated in any other category as well. I'm well aware of the "it's not about winning, it's about playing the game and meeting new people" speech and I'm all for it, none the less it does not balance well against paying the entry fee for (say) a draft only to last for a few minutes.

To be more clear, every time I enter such events, it's like when I put in a dollar in a pinball machine only to see my ball go straight between the flippers three times in a row after I put it in play :)
    If your first argument against my post is that I suck at this game, well... YES, you are absolutely right kind sir.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Frugus wrote:
    Tom Shea wrote:

Tom

Is there anything like the intro league, but aimed at people who are a bit more comfortable with the game? Anything for people who are bad, rusty or simply coming back to the game after a little while?

I really like MTG but I can only play part time as an avid enthusiast. I know my way around, more than a new comer, and I think it would be a terrible idea for me to play against others in the intro league. On the other hand I also know I would just get decimated in any other category as well. I'm well aware of the "it's not about winning, it's about playing the game and meeting new people" speech and I'm all for it, none the less it does not balance well against paying the entry fee for (say) a draft only to last for a few minutes.

To be more clear, every time I enter such events, it's like when I put in a dollar in a pinball machine only to see my ball go straight between the flippers three times in a row after I put it in play :)
    If your first argument against my post is that I suck at this game, well... YES, you are absolutely right kind sir.

Look at the Swiss style tournaments, those are all designed to allow you to play a set number of rounds without being cut immediately for being rusty. The "Chase the Promos!" sealed deck event on Friday night (7pm) looks ideal as you're guaranteed at least one participatory prize, plus you're netting 90 new cards out of the deal and will get 4 rounds of play (8 games minimum, assuming each round is a standard best of 3). Mini master is another event that seems like it could be fun for a more casual player, though it strikes me as very random and is prone to "win more to do better" syndrome (someone tell me, why do only the winners get to shuffle in a new pack? Surely there's a better way to do that and keep it fair).

Honestly, the caliber of your opponents matters more than the format. I play booster drafts regularly and I don't feel confident that I'm any good at it (though I don't think I've ever lost to my own stupidity as much as just bad draw; mana screw/flood etc), but I still have fun because my opponents are friendly and are just there to play Magic and have a good time.

I reiterate my statement that I will sit down almost anytime and play a game with someone who just wants to play. I love playing casually, it's very relaxed but still puts you through the paces of critical thinking :)

Nullzone on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nullzone wrote:
    Look at the Swiss style tournaments, those are all designed to allow you to play a set number of rounds without being cut immediately for being rusty. The "Chase the Promos!" sealed deck event on Friday night (7pm) looks ideal as you're guaranteed at least one participatory prize, plus you're netting 90 new cards out of the deal and will get 4 rounds of play (8 games minimum, assuming each round is a standard best of 3). Mini master is another event that seems like it could be fun for a more casual player, though it strikes me as very random and is prone to "win more to do better" syndrome (someone tell me, why do only the winners get to shuffle in a new pack? Surely there's a better way to do that and keep it fair).

Honestly, the caliber of your opponents matters more than the format. I play booster drafts regularly and I don't feel confident that I'm any good at it (though I don't think I've ever lost to my own stupidity as much as just bad draw; mana screw/flood etc), but I still have fun because my opponents are friendly and are just there to play Magic and have a good time.

I reiterate my statement that I will sit down almost anytime and play a game with someone who just wants to play. I love playing casually, it's very relaxed but still puts you through the paces of critical thinking :)

Thanks for the suggestions Nullzone. I do hope we cross paths and play a game or two!

Also, just thought about this...

I don't know if this is common practice for big events like these but if not, may I suggest that someone setup a "donation box" for cards no one wants? If not, maybe something around those lines could be organized.
    I went to a major event not too long ago and was surprised (actually, shocked) at the amount of abandoned cards. Everywhere I looked there was always a fat stack of cards left there and I kept wondering... WHYYYY??? My friends (all veterans) promptly explained to me that I was a noob and that regular players, especially those who draft all the time, already have many copies of those cards, and thus, do not care at all about them. At most they will keep what they consider good stuff and leave the rest.

edit - For the curious, Montreal was the host to a Pro-Tour World thingy something. I knew I was going to get pulverized but I wanted to see what an event like that would be like.

Thing is, for people like me who are still newcomers (even though I bought a bunch of cards, used and new), those cards are definitely worth something. We are still working on our collections and every new card we get means new possibilities down the road.

I spoke with the organizer of that particular event after the event and he said there was indeed a box like that, but it was not used often. So like I said, maybe it's common practice but most people don't know about them.

Just think about the people who will be sitting at the intro league table. If it's anything like what I witnessed last year, it was filled with newcomers that have barely any idea of what they are doing nor have any cards to their names save for that intro pack they bought earlier today. Simple things like a foil would generate excitement which is something that vets take for granted.

TL;DR: Your crap is someone else's gold. It would be nice to have a box where vets could dump the cards they don't want so that other people, especially nubs, can pick some up and start building (or add) to their new collection.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Frugus wrote:
    Nullzone wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions Nullzone. I do hope we cross paths and play a game or two!

Also, just thought about this...

I don't know if this is common practice for big events like these but if not, may I suggest that someone setup a "donation box" for cards no one wants? If not, maybe something around those lines could be organized.
    I went to a major event not too long ago and was surprised (actually, shocked) at the amount of abandoned cards. Everywhere I looked there was always a fat stack of cards left there and I kept wondering... WHYYYY??? My friends (all veterans) promptly explained to me that I was a noob and that regular players, especially those who draft all the time, already have many copies of those cards, and thus, do not care at all about them. At most they will keep what they consider good stuff and leave the rest.

edit - For the curious, Montreal was the host to a Pro-Tour World thingy something. I knew I was going to get pulverized but I wanted to see what an event like that would be like.

Thing is, for people like me who are still newcomers (even though I bought a bunch of cards, used and new), those cards are definitely worth something. We are still working on our collections and every new card we get means new possibilities down the road.

I spoke with the organizer of that particular event after the event and he said there was indeed a box like that, but it was not used often. So like I said, maybe it's common practice but most people don't know about them.

Just think about the people who will be sitting at the intro league table. If it's anything like what I witnessed last year, it was filled with newcomers that have barely any idea of what they are doing nor have any cards to their names save for that intro pack they bought earlier today. Simple things like a foil would generate excitement which is something that vets take for granted.

TL;DR: Your crap is someone else's gold. It would be nice to have a box where vets could dump the cards they don't want so that other people, especially nubs, can pick some up and start building (or add) to their new collection.

I think this is a great idea

Tom819 on
  • Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    I don't know if this is common practice for big events like these but if not, may I suggest that someone setup a "donation box" for cards no one wants?

If we have people with cards they dont want it might be a fun idea to run a Junk Rare Draft, we ran one at the my LGS the other month and it was pretty fun to get use out of all the junk people had accumulated. I can imagine the logistics of it at this kind of event would be a nightmare, but it would be fun if it could be pulled off.

• Options
    mSWAEmSWAE Registered User regular
    >> TCGPlayer.com MaxPoint Series Championship Qualifier – Standard Constructed

Does anyone know whether these will be 1x multiplier or 3x?

MK

• Options
    FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    Hey Tom, haven't been up to TJs in a while. What style of EDH/Commander has taken root there? What level of play/competitiveness will the Commander panel be covering?

Thread readers, I highly encourage you to at least come visit he TJs crew even if you only plan to play casually. As a local customer I can tell you they're good people.

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'll prolly be swinging by the Magic area to throw my mono-black Zombie Creature deck up against some other casual decks! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    RealGoneRealGone BostonRegistered User regular
    I expect to shoot myself in the foot by bringing a bag chock full of Magic decks with no room for other essentials.

I'll probably spend a lot of my time in the tabletop area, and I'll have some Commander decks (including a few of the precons if folks want to play and are lacking a deck) and probably a few sets of the Duel Decks. I might put together some 60 card casual decks (I sometimes have a 'Look at all the silly things I can do with Precursor Golem!' deck that can't win much but does silly things) time permitting.

Should be good times.

• Options
    CyantCyant Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Mini master is another event that seems like it could be fun for a more casual player, though it strikes me as very random and is prone to "win more to do better" syndrome (someone tell me, why do only the winners get to shuffle in a new pack? Surely there's a better way to do that and keep it fair).
    Because Mini master is not a swiss style tournament, its single elimination. Once you lose you are out. Team Minimaster is awesome.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    I can't wait to play and lose every game- but its the setup that gets me.

Hell, I might play an Ashnod's Coupon along with a R&Ds secret lair (Hilarious results)

8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    Cyant wrote: »
    Nullzone wrote: »
    Mini master is another event that seems like it could be fun for a more casual player, though it strikes me as very random and is prone to "win more to do better" syndrome (someone tell me, why do only the winners get to shuffle in a new pack? Surely there's a better way to do that and keep it fair).
    Because Mini master is not a swiss style tournament, its single elimination. Once you lose you are out. Team Minimaster is awesome.

...derp. Good catch, makes perfect sense in that case :P

• Options
    zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    I am thinking of stopping by, also in the same tier of not-beginner-but-not-quite-great. It should be fun regardless.

ZILTOID
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I figured I would get the ball rolling and make a "box of crap cards" myself. However I wonder if that's going to cause a problem with some of the exhibitors. There could be some kind of fine print that would go against free giveaways of this type. I doubt it, but better be safe than sorry. The other question is, what do we do if the box is not emptied out before the door closes? I would not want to see an individual pick them up only to sell them off.

It seems like a simple idea though and I would hate to see such a simple concept fall through the cracks.

So I figured I would do something even simpler which should not get anyone in trouble. I'm just going to make a small box of stuff I want to give away. Enjoy it. I'll just leave it somewhere near or around the MTG area. BTW, there's noting much in there, remember it's all supposed to be "crap".

Pics
    cards_boc.jpg
    box_boc.jpg

In the mean time, I will try to contact someone again from TJ's and see if they could not setup something a bit more official that everyone could participate in.

I just got off the phone with someone from TJ's (no worries, I was clear that I was calling as a fan of the game and was in no way associated to the event) and spoke with a very nice person who explained that an official box like that is not something they plan to do. He also explained that some vendors (not necessarily them), will be selling cards like those in bulk. My guess is that if it's anything like what I saw last year you should be able to buy big boxes for cheap. I did and had little regrets.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Sounds like fun. I wish I had physical copies of my decks but it's almost all online at the moment. I may have to convert a deck or do so I can come to this.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    gespo89 wrote: »
    Sounds like fun. I wish I had physical copies of my decks but it's almost all online at the moment. I may have to convert a deck or do so I can come to this.

Unless you want to show up with your own custom deck, you may not have to go through a conversion. Some of these events have fees to cover the product that you will need to participate in, such as (usually) drafts. Last year the beginner league's fee was the price of the provided intro deck (of your choice!).

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Hello Everyone! The commander panels goal is to get more people interested in commander. Pete and Bill will answer any/all questions. Peter is also on site as our "deck Dr". He will be available all weekend to help players add to their decks no matter the format. I will double check on the points for the TCG Player events. What is really good about these events is that the winner will earn enough points to go and play in the finals in Indy for Dec. We have a legacy event on the schedule as well as Standard.

The sealed deck events each morning all have a nice technology prize on the line. The winner of the Friday event will have their choice of an acer net book or a Blackberry tablet. We have two acer net books and one black berry tablet. Players have told me to get tablets as they are much cooler than net books. We advertised net books and want to guarantee net books unless someone prefers the tablet. The Chase the Promos event Friday night will have door prizes and cool promos. The open play area is larger than last year and will be the area we run our panels as well. There is space set aside for commander, every time we have 4 players we will launch that group. The schedule this year is very ambitious. If there is a format that 8 players want to play bring it to my attention and we will run it.

We will also be offering a deluxe package for any mini master, booster draft, and/or sealed deck event which is a TJ's deck box and 50 sleeves for only $5.00. Our deck box alone usually retails for $5.00 and is large enough to fit a fully sleeved commander deck.

See you there,

Tom Shea

• Options
    KcustoKcusto Registered User new member
    Hey everyone,

Question about the Limited format Commander event on the schedule. How is that going to work? I play lots of Commander but haven't ever done it in a limited format.

Also, I look forward to meeting all of you. I'll be around the magic area on Saturday to play some casual EDH.

• Options
    Stu13xStu13x Registered User regular
    any word as to whether or not there will be a sanctioned FNM event? Just wondering as I noticed on the Wizards site that there was a special "Full Moon" event on the sixth. Thanks in advance!

• Options
    ExplosionExplosion Registered User regular
    Are prizes guaranteed? I don't want to show up for an event only to have it canceled due to lower attendance than the TO expected. I mean, I want to play Magic at PAX, but if an event's canceled, that's a bunch of time I could be doing other stuff, y'know?

Thanks!

• Options
    IvellosIvellos Registered User new member
    Explosion wrote: »
    Are prizes guaranteed? I don't want to show up for an event only to have it canceled due to lower attendance than the TO expected. I mean, I want to play Magic at PAX, but if an event's canceled, that's a bunch of time I could be doing other stuff, y'know?

Thanks!

I wouldn't be worried about the events being canceled when I was there last year it seemed that everything was firing off and there were always people over at tables looking to play. Oh... bring a trade binder... I want your trades.