As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

need advice on how to get an entry level biomedical engineering job?

fxh7421fxh7421 Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi,

I recently graduated from a university in texas with my masters in biomedical engineering with a gpa of 3.6.. I have applied everywhere including hospitals, research facilities, and pharmaceutical companies. I even used alot of different websites to apply through. So far I have been looking for a technical service engineer or field service engineer position.

Please let me know if anyone has any advice of where else I should apply and what I should do. I appreciate it. Thanks!

fxh7421 on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Look at the jobs posted on Careerbuilder/Monster. Identify the recruiting scumbag that posted practically all of them. Call them up or apply on their site.

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    In 2009 I graduated with a Bachelors in BME. I looked for about... 6 months specifically for what I considered to be entry BME positions. Then I opened it up and just started applying for all engineering positions that were available that I had even tangential experience with in undergrad. Eventually (~9-10 months? I graduated in May, and landed a job the week before Christmas), I found my current position as what would probably be considered Mechanical engineering.

So I guess my advice is to start looking at all entry-ish level engineering jobs. It took me 6 months to realize that a Biomed engineer learns a lot of other skills in college than just biomedical stuff. The one I got my interview on was a drafting position. The masters degree should help you out a lot to maybe get more nods for people looking for something a little higher than "entry".

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Have you checked labs that are doing tissue construction or anything of that sort? Or alternatively, have you checked with any exercise physiology labs or biomechanical labs or biophysical labs? Seems like if you sold your skills right, you could market yourself as a bio-engineering lab tech. Also, if I remember correctly, BME also falls under waste management and ecological reconstruction management as well. Dunno if you have any experience in that, though.

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    Linked-in can be a valuable resource for this sort of thing - I've been head hunted on several occasions by companies just by participating and being active in various groups related to my field.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Vanderbilt University Medical Center has several positions in biomedical engineering that require a degree and no experience posted right now. I would imagine you will have to relocate, check out big medical centers attatched to a university. Stanford, Vanderbilt, UAB, UCSF, etc.

I know for a fact vanderbilt.jobs has several posting as of the time of this writing, though.

• Options
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    In 2009 I graduated with a Bachelors in BME. I looked for about... 6 months specifically for what I considered to be entry BME positions. Then I opened it up and just started applying for all engineering positions that were available that I had even tangential experience with in undergrad. Eventually (~9-10 months? I graduated in May, and landed a job the week before Christmas), I found my current position as what would probably be considered Mechanical engineering.

So I guess my advice is to start looking at all entry-ish level engineering jobs. It took me 6 months to realize that a Biomed engineer learns a lot of other skills in college than just biomedical stuff. The one I got my interview on was a drafting position. The masters degree should help you out a lot to maybe get more nods for people looking for something a little higher than "entry".

Even though I have solid background in mechanical engineering alot of recruiters have been telling me that they are only looking for just engineering positions with majors in ME, EE, CSE. Should I still apply to those companies?

• Options
    Have you checked labs that are doing tissue construction or anything of that sort? Or alternatively, have you checked with any exercise physiology labs or biomechanical labs or biophysical labs? Seems like if you sold your skills right, you could market yourself as a bio-engineering lab tech. Also, if I remember correctly, BME also falls under waste management and ecological reconstruction management as well. Dunno if you have any experience in that, though.

Most of the labs and research in north texas are with big pharmaceutical companies or hospitals. I've applied to all of them and I keep checking their websites for any new positions available. To me the downside with hospitals is that they don't pay much for fresh graduates and your constricted with the amount of resources available.

But I am more interested in any positions that allows me to work outside the lab environment with a team.

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Are you willing to relocate?

I'm out by George Mason University in the Northern Virginia/ DC area. We've got a hugely funded biodefense lab that they recently built. Its the biggest one in the country, or so they tell us.
    I had a friend just leave there after he completed his PhD, and according to him - they've got a huge demand for people, and the pay starts at 75K/yr just to babysit the racks of eggs.

• Options
    I didnt want to relocate just yet. I was looking for positions in or near texas.