As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i dunno what they're bitching about. some racing wheel? whatever. [game podcasts]

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    There should really be more GB radio shows.

Or a special sim podcast with just Dave, Drew and Vinny.

God, yes. I love it when Dave is on the podcast, like this week. And those quick looks of ridiculous simulation games with the three of them are always amazing.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've fallen a few weeks behind on Weekend Confirmed somehow even though it's part of my daily commute podcast triumvirate of the Bombcast, This is Only a Test, and Weekend Confirmed. I'll probably catch up on Weekend Confirmed while I level an alt or run daylies on my main in SWTOR. That said, Weekend Confirmed is my least favorite of the three, and more often then not if I haven't finished an episode by the time the next Bombcast comes out I don't finish it.

Speaking of SWTOR, I've been listening to and catching up on the old episodes of Startalk and The Smartest Man in the World while I've been playing and they're both great. I've also stuck with The Smoking Tire podcast, and now that they've stopped talking about smoking pot and gotten straight to talking about cars and general non-directly-car-related topics it's it's way to being really good.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Interesting. I thought more people would be annoyed by Cannata than Lee. What makes Giant Bomb's podcast so good? (I'm not near a place where I can sit and listen to it at the moment)

Here's a few choice clips for when you can listen to some of their stuff, sort of picked at random:

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I hate to sound sound like some prick with a weird sense of entitlement about these free podcasts, but honestly you'd think Giantbomb could have waited to have the "Mass Effect 3 podcast" at some point when they can, you know, talk about Mass Effect 3.

Darlan on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote:
    I hate to sound sound like some prick with a weird sense of entitlement about these free podcasts, but honestly you'd think Giantbomb could have waited to have the "Mass Effect 3 podcast" at some point when they can, you know, talk about Mass Effect 3.

Pretty sure the next 2 bombcasts will be talking about it for a while.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've tried giving Idle Thumbs a chance, but I think I heard some clips once or twice and it didn't hook me.

Care to provide some clips?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I this is the best bit of theirs I can find on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P1BO0gQrb4&feature=related

Been going through idle thumb's backlog for the first time, up to 20, and goddamn do I love the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d51oKgAvjM

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    I've tried giving Idle Thumbs a chance, but I think I heard some clips once or twice and it didn't hook me.

Care to provide some clips?

I've tried to listen too, since everyone loves it so much, but it's tough listening to them talk about games that came out four years ago. I figure if I can get into it and get to know the personalities then it won't matter so much, since I'm sure I could listen to old episodes of the Brodeo and still enjoy them, but it's getting over that initial hump that's the problem.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    While not strictly video game podcast I have been listening to This week in Geek for a long time

http://thisweekingeek.net/

It's basically 4 guys talking about geeky news from the past week as well as topic shows about everything from Video games, to Star Trek to Junk Food.

One of the guys does his own video game review podcast review a day where he takes 1 game a day (more or less) and discusses it

http://reviewaday.ca/

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ugh, Weekend Confirmed is awful. I listen to a lot of podcasts, but that one got the cut months ago. The Whiskey Media podcasts are my favorite, but I still torture myself with Rebel FM every week.

Ehhhhhhhh

I mean, the Bombcast is basically the highlight of my week, but Behind the Screened Door...Rorie is great but I really hate Alex Navarro. If I saw him I'd punch him, no lie. He's a total ass.

• Options
    I don't think he's a total ass, but he is very snarky and cynical, which could rub somebody the wrong way.

His writing is very good though.

• Options
    I really prefer his writing style when he's doing game reviews instead of film

Less of his personality seems to seep through somehow

• Options
    I actually do really like how his personality seeps into his writing.

I think him, matt and brad are the only writers/reviewers at whiskey media whose writing style flows really naturally. The other's always felt a little bit awkward when reading.

• Options
    Ugh, Weekend Confirmed is awful. I listen to a lot of podcasts, but that one got the cut months ago. The Whiskey Media podcasts are my favorite, but I still torture myself with Rebel FM every week.

Ehhhhhhhh

I mean, the Bombcast is basically the highlight of my week, but Behind the Screened Door...Rorie is great but I really hate Alex Navarro. If I saw him I'd punch him, no lie. He's a total ass.

Oh, pish posh. You wouldn't punch him, just like you wouldn't punch any other internet personality if you met them. I've seen/met Alex Navarro a few times now, and he's never been anything other than cordial.

Also, his articles are the best on GB. Very Onion-esque, if they weren't real.

steam_sig.png

• Options

Ehhhhhhhh

Oh, pish posh. You wouldn't punch him, just like you wouldn't punch any other internet personality if you met them. I've seen/met Alex Navarro a few times now, and he's never been anything other than cordial.

Also, his articles are the best on GB. Very Onion-esque, if they weren't real.

He is the only Internet personality on my list of People to Punch

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I really don't like how Giant Bombcast and 8-4 Play just joked and glossed over about how much of a douche Phil Fish was and the reason for this was that he was their friend. Does anyone really think they'd have the same reaction to that incident if it were someone they didn't know saying that shit?

So does anyone here bother with Geekbox Radio anymore? I can't remember if I posted about it in here but I got really sick of them about a year ago, probably because both Fitch's are idiots, and I was wondering if they'd gotten any better.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I really don't like how Giant Bombcast and 8-4 Play just joked and glossed over about how much of a douche Phil Fish was and the reason for this was that he was their friend. Does anyone really think they'd have the same reaction to that incident if it were someone they didn't know saying that shit?

So does anyone here bother with Geekbox Radio anymore? I can't remember if I posted about it in here but I got really sick of them about a year ago, probably because both Fitch's are idiots, and I was wondering if they'd gotten any better.

I thought that the Bombcast was recorded before that happened? And they did mention that he's kind of an asshole. It's annoying that they didn't have the usual content on the site this week, but didn't do any GDC podcasts either. Those are usually really good.

Man, I haven't listened to the Geekbox in more than a year. It got insufferable after a while.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    If it helps, Alex Navarro just wrote on his twitter what I had been thinking this whole time, that Phil Fish needs to ship a fucking game before he starts saying anything to anyone about anything games-related.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Does that apply to Alex too?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I still listen to the Geekbox for some reason. It'll be the first to go when I need less podcasts to keep me occupied during my long commutes, though. Adam Fitch needs to shut the hell up and think about what he's saying. Or just shut up. I did kind of enjoy the one where both Fitches were on at the same time, though.

It's probably been a year since I quit listening to Rebel FM and I remain satisfied with that decision.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »

I thought that the Bombcast was recorded before that happened? And they did mention that he's kind of an asshole. It's annoying that they didn't have the usual content on the site this week, but didn't do any GDC podcasts either. Those are usually really good.

Man, I haven't listened to the Geekbox in more than a year. It got insufferable after a while.
    They joked about it at the very beginning of the Bombcast, with Patrick sarcastically calling Fish racist and a hipster but that was about it. I'm pretty sure they never called him an asshole, seeing as he's their friend and was hanging out with them at GDC.
    SteevL wrote: »
    I still listen to the Geekbox for some reason. It'll be the first to go when I need less podcasts to keep me occupied during my long commutes, though. Adam Fitch needs to shut the hell up and think about what he's saying. Or just shut up. I did kind of enjoy the one where both Fitches were on at the same time, though.

It's probably been a year since I quit listening to Rebel FM and I remain satisfied with that decision.
    That sounds about right. It's funny how each brother contrasts the other and yet they both come across really poorly in podcast form. I guess if you combined the two of them together you'd actually end up with a functional person.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It's possible that they agreed with Fish, you know, as I do as well

He wasn't being racist or anything like some people are claiming, he was asked what he thought of Japanese games nowadays, and said their games fucking suck

I haven't played a decent Japanese game myself since...I think Street Fighter IV and its iterations are the last I gave a shit about. I find their games industry to be completely soulless and lacking innovation. Nintendo is in the shitter quality-of-games-wise as far as I'm concerned and has been since the GameCube, Dark Souls is awful and I don't really care how many people want to tell me the contrary, anything out of Capcom other than SF has been a horrible mess (Dead Rising, Monster Hunter games, anything Resident Evil-related), Square-Enix hasn't put out anything decent on their Eastern side in years.

It's telling to me that in the Japanese games that seem to offer unique experiences, the gameplay is never the reason why. Sure, check out Shadows of the Damned or Deadly Premonition or Catherine or 999 or Nier - all intriguing and, conceptually, I'd say they're at least good tries, but the gameplay in all of them is roundly terrible. I'm looking forward to Lollipop Chainsaw myself, but purely from a stylistic standpoint; everything I've seen of the gameplay so far looks as shallow and creatively bankrupt as No More Heroes did.

P.S. At the same event, Inafune said basically the same damn thing as Fish did, he just wasn't so blunt about it and so no one jumped down his throat. Maybe there's something to be said for tact or presentation, but his point was valid.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I think it's possible to agree with him and still think he's an asshole.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I think it's possible to agree with him and still think he's an asshole.

Fair enough, I'm just offering that up as a reason as to why it was "glossed over" (because it was a non-issue)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    he's free to feel how he wants about japanese games and answer questions how he wants, and i'm free to continue to not care what he says or does. he hasn't released a single game ever, but talks like he knows things. clearly he has never contained an ounce of professionalism and he comes across like a hack because of this. phil fish shouldn't even be reaping the rewards of publicity when all he has done is A) spent years making the same game and B) said slightly controversial things. if anything he deserves whatever scorn he has drawn so he can get some humility.

and fez looks boring

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Seems a bit overblown to me.

He was rude at first but from the reports from the people who are over there he apologised in person immediately and expanded his argument a bit more than "your games suck".

I guess he was an ass on twitter, but people on the internet seemed to have taken only part of the story and ran away with it.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Seems a bit overblown to me.

I guess he was an ass on twitter, but people on the internet seemed to have taken only part of the story and ran away with it.

The internet in a nutshell.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I don't know what it is about Bombcast. The episode I listened to just didn't hook me. I'll give it another chance this week, I got a long solo road trip coming up so I'll throw it on the iPod. I almost want to believe that I'm simply just wrong, given that not one person has defended Weekend Confirmed against Bombcast. I really enjoy Jeff Cannata, and I find Garnett Lee entertaining.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So has anyone started to listen to tonights Bombcast? I'm wondering if all the ME3 talk means I should skip it since I haven't played it yet but will eventually.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    So has anyone started to listen to tonights Bombcast? I'm wondering if all the ME3 talk means I should skip it since I haven't played it yet but will eventually.

I'm listening to it right now. So far it's safe. One of them hasn't even started playing it yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular

Pretty sure they mentioned at some point plans to do a Spoiler-Cast of ME3 (like they did with... Portal 2 I think) and keep any spoiler talk out of the main show.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They didn't really mention any specific plot stuff, just talked about things in general.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    OK, thanks guys.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    They do divulge the identity of the DLC character, but that's spoiled on literally the main menu of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I haven't listened to it yet, but there's a surprise GFW Radio reunion podcast up under the Comedy Button banner:
    http://www.geekbox.net/archives/2012/03/30/the-comedy-button-episode-23/

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    i know some of you were worried but I thought I'd let you know that the battle brocast is back

if you've got it in iTunes you don't need to re-add a new feed or anything, just update the current one.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    i know some of you were worried but I thought I'd let you know that the battle brocast is back

if you've got it in iTunes you don't need to re-add a new feed or anything, just update the current one.
    hey i am in this podcast!
    if you have seen my posts and wondered if my voice is as sexy as my opinions, listen to find out!
    it's pretty sexy

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    BradMining.jpg

I love that the second time round, now it's on a control scheme they'll actually play Minecraft has slowly sunk it's claws into the GB crew.

Brad is clearly gone, Vinny has at least dipped his feet into it because he's giving Brad renovation tips and the others to at least some degree.

There was even a vid of Vinny and Dave playing DayZ!

Kelor on
  • Options
    Kelor wrote: »
    BradMining.jpg

I love that the second time round, now it's on a control scheme they'll actually play Minecraft has slowly sunk it's claws into the GB crew.

Brad is clearly gone, Vinny has at least dipped his feet into it because he's giving Brad renovation tips and the others to at least some degree.

There was even a vid of Vinny and Dave playing DayZ!

Although last night Brad's game apparently crashed while it was saving, losing all progress he had made that day. He's not sure if he wants to go back to it now.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    That DayZ/Minecraft video was depressing. You could really tell Vinny was getting discouraged after all the bandit deaths, disconnections, bugs, and servers being full.

What did everyone think of Adam Sessler on this week's Bombcast?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest