As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    we all know Sheri is a fundamentally broken shell of an individual.

no real surprise here.

easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    egg yolk is fantastic as a simple sauce for so many foods
    like topping kimchi fried rice with a fried egg

solid yolk is ok

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Post it, JusTee

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    If I'm doing chicken in a brine for whatever reason, the brine is usually salt (obviously), pepper, lemon zest in large pieces (not the flesh, too much acid in the juice), honey or brown sugar, and fresh mint. Heat it through in the water to dissolve the salt and sweet, cool down with ice, then brine away. Also works for thick cut pork chops as well. I'll do rosemary on pork as well, instead of the mint, or thyme on chicken.

I also use mint to make a mint-lemon simple syrup for my iced tea. Saves me from having to keep the fresh stuff around, and it keeps rather well if sealed tightly in the bottle.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I didn't mean to sound mean about Shepherd's Pie...

I actually don't know any recipes; I don't care for the dish no matter how it's presented (if I want a baked dish with ground meat in it I'll do a lasagne), so I've never looked for one! But hopefully someone else can help you. :)

Janson I didn't take your comment negatively at all. You can't love everything, right?

Do you have a good lasagne recipe though? I want to cook a big meal this Sunday but don't know what to make yet. I might do enchiladas or a shredded bbq pork in a slow cooker.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Citrus Brine Recipe:

120 oz (15 cups) water
    6 oz (wt) kosher salt
    1 oz (wt) brown sugar
    1 lemon
    1 orange
    1 grapefruit
    2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    4 cloves of garlic

Heat 2 cups of the water in a small pot with the salt and brown sugar until the salt and sugar dissolves. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Toast the pepper in a small pan for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Crush the pepper in a mortar and pestle or with the flat part of a knife. (You can skip this step if you want, I usually do)

Smash the garlic cloves.

Place the chicken in a 12 qt pot, large bowl, or large zip lock bag. Cut the citrus in half and squeeze over the chicken. Drop the citrus into the pot. Add the smashed garlic, spices and herbs. Pour in the remaining 13 cups of cold water and then the dissolved sugar/salt mixture. If the chicken floats, weight it down with a plate. Cover and refrigerate for 8-12 hours. Flip the chicken every few hours (I usually skip this part too).

Cooking the chicken:
    Air dry minimum an hour.
    Pat dry the skin with paper towels.
    Liberally season the skin with salt (this is the key for getting crispy skin despite the brine)
    Pre-Heat oven to 400.

Throw bird in a v-shaped pan (it's going to be juicy, and if you let it sit flat, the skin on the bottom gets soggy) and cook it until its done.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    U.S.V.I. Authentic Chicken Roti with a side of Conch Fritters
    (This dish will serve up to 4 people.)

Chicken Roti

Chicken-Roti.jpg

Things you will need for the Roti:
    3 boneless breast of chicken
    1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped chunky
    1 green pepper, chopped chunky
    1 large carrot, peeled sliced thinly
    2 large potato, peeled and cubed
    1 can chicken broth
    ½ cup water
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    2 Tblsp curry powder
    2-3 tsp Blind Betty Original Recipe (YOU MUST USE BLIND BETTY'S HOT SAUCE. NO SUBSTITUTES!)
    salt and pepper to taste
    fresh chopped parsley
    4 large flower tortillas
    1 jar mango chutney or fruit salsa

How to make the Roti:
    1.) Place a medium to large sized pot on your stove top and add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Set the stove to high heat to preheat with the olive oil.
    2.) Add the onions and garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes to let the onions caramelize with the edges becoming brown..
    3.) Add the chicken and saute until cooked but still tender and moist.
    4.) Add green peppers and carrots and saute 1 to 2 minutes, still on high heat.
    5.) Add chicken broth, potatoes and water to cover all ingredients in the pot.
    6.) Simmer until potatoes are fork tender and the broth begins to reduce, about 25 minutes.
    7.) Add all spices and flavorings. Taste immediately and add more if you like.
    8.) Cover pot and turn off the heat. Bring to boil just before serving.
    9.) Stir with wooden spoon and spoon out the Roti into the center of a tortilla and fold as you would a burrito by folding in the sides then the bottom flap and rolling away from you. Top with salsa or chutney. I prefer the mango chutney as this is more authentic to the Virgin Islands, but you can use salsa if you like.

Conch Fritters

Conch+House+St+Augustine+conch+fritters.jpg

What you will need for the fritters:
    1 quart oil (for frying)
    ¾ cup all-purpose flour
    1 egg
    ½ cup milk
    ground cayenne pepper , to taste
    red pepper flakes , to taste
    seasoning salt , to taste
    salt , to taste (optional)
    ground coarse black pepper , to taste
    1 cup chopped conch (save the shell to make a neat horn out of! :D )
    ½ onion , chopped
    ¼ green bell pepper , chopped fine
    ¼ yellow bell pepper , chopped fine
    ¼ red bell pepper , chopped fine
    2 stalks celery , chopped fine
    2 garlic cloves , chopped fine
    1 Lemon wedge per person.

What you will need to make the dipping sauce:
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice , no subs
    1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce , or
    1 teaspoon Pickapeppa Sauce
    salt , to taste
    fresh ground black pepper , to taste
    ((Tarter sauce, cocktail sauce, or a honey mustered sauce will also work but I prefer the above sauce.))

How to make the Fritters:
    1.) Heat the oil in clean large pot or deep fryer to 365F (185 degrees C). Don't use the pot you made the roti with unless it is cleaned well.
    2.) In a bowl, mix the flour, egg and milk.
    3.) Season with cayenne pepper, seasoning salt, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
    4.) Mix in the conch meat, onion, red & yellow & green pepper, celery and garlic.
    5.) Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
    6.) BE CAREFUL! If not you will burn your self with the hot oil if you drop the batter to fast or from to high and cause it to splash.
    7.) Remove the basket or with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
    8.) Now, is the time to slightly season, again.
    9.) In a bowl, mix the ketchup, "lime" juice, mayonnaise, hot sauce, salt & pepper.
    10.) Serve dipping sauce on the side with the fritters and a lemon wedge.

This simple dish from the US Virgin Islands is one from my childhood and is VERY dear to my heart. Although fish is my single favorite type of food, this is actually the only dish that I would choose before any kind of fish. I pretty much lived off roti and fish every summer during my childhood.

For those of you morons who do not know what a conch is, here you go:
    strombus-gigas-queen-conch-adult.jpg

Yes that is right, you will be eating snail and think its the best thing since sliced bread!

Chimera on
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Mmmmm..I love conch. Wish I could find fresh around here.

And thanks for the roti recipe!

Chimera that roti recipe looks amazing. How spicy is it?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Do you have a good lasagne recipe though?

When I get home I will give you my lasagna recipe. Some purists may decry it, but everyone who's ever eaten it has said it's delicious.

Can also offer out the Shepard's pie recipe my wife uses. Flavor can vary widely depending on how you spice the meat.

Syphyre on
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    It really isn't that spicy at all. Maybe on the level of a jalapeno at the most. If you really want it to be hot, dice up some habanero and throw them in. Really the roti should just have a hint of spiciness with focus on overall flavor from the chicken, curry, and then veggies and potatoes. This is a mild curry dish.

Chimera are you a USVI resident?

edited March 2012
    I used to live on St. Johns during the summer as a kid. Now I live in Tulsa, OK but I still have some strong connections to the USVI. Our villa was just down from the Westin in Great Cruz Bay.

Chimera on
  • cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    Hey Dan, hit me up if you need a test cook. I missed out on the last thread.

Made a great couple racks of ribs last weekend when company came over. Even with a little chill in the air, it was a great night to fire up the grill. Kinda half-assed some smoke in there with whiskey-soaked apple and cherry chips and about 20 yards of foil. Used feckins spiced whiskey and a hot peach (habanero or jalapeno) chutney for the sauce. Flavor was great, but the texture was off a tad "cause I let em get a little too hot. Next time, I got this.

5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
    Ed, you'll be happy to know I'm building my own clay and brick smoker. It will be ready the next time you come down.

easysig2.jpg
    Ed, you're getting old. You can't just drop off the boards for a week and not have us thinking that you're keeled over dead in a ditch somewhere.

I mean, I keep a list of strip clubs and local shit hole dive bars for the NoVa area next to me on hand at all times for just such an occasion, but really...don't make me use it.

• nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Do you have a good lasagne recipe though?

I have an awesome one that I will put up tonight after work. The key is the simmered for hours ragu'.

• cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    Dan, I knew it was just a matter of time. At least you don't have to wait for spring to start digging a foundation.

I mean, we ARE talking about a rig big enough to require a foundation, right?

Zipper, I don't die in ditches, I just nap in 'em.

The pit will be big enough to hold a suckling pig.

With supports in place for a whole hog strung.

easysig2.jpg
    ragu'.
    D:

Not that Ragu. A proper ragu, I'm assuming.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, not the shitty brand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragù

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Yeah not the brand shiver... A red sauce with sausage, onion, celery, carrot, tomatoes and various spices, th.at has been simmering all day long

nicopernicus on
    Ah crap, sorry.

I just learned a new word today.

edited March 2012
    No worries. I've learned how to roast chicken today!

nicopernicus on
    Stale wrote: »
    The pit will be big enough to hold a suckling pig.

With supports in place for a whole hog strung.

You diggin the pit cuban style? Be careful with them utilities!

Headlines I'd hate to read:

"Cracker in ATL punches death in the throat for decades, only to end up as charred cracklin' after chopping into a gas main with a pickaxe."

A neighbor reports "I thought he was a vampire. But he may just've been one of them hilljacks from the midwest "

I haven't been called a hilljack in a long time

and, I'm still working up the plans, but I don't think I'll go cuban style. I have a hard enough time bending over as it is, let alone hauling a pig up and down.

easysig2.jpg
    Yah, I'm not much for the bending over thing recently either. I figured we could just get Mon to clean it. She's closer.

Might go wide and low, and separate the firebox to the side.

easysig2.jpg
    And waist high, so I can't fall ALL the way in.

Maybe a big hinged lid, or something along the lines of a Cajun microwave?

yeah, I figure if nothing else I can just make two pits side by side, connect em in the back, and drop lids and front panels over.

easysig2.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Either way, if you go big, try to keep the option of switching from smoker to grill to firepit to funeral pyre.

Flexibility is key.

cadmunky on
  • kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    I saw a metal version that had a baffle for the smoke that went all the way across the bottom of the pit to redirect it back over the meat from the cold side, back towards a draw/vent that was over the firebox. No idea how it ended up working, but it seems like it would require a lot of exacting work to get it to draw the smoke properly.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    When can I move in, Stale?

I just had an idea. Imma need a 79 trans am, any condition, no wheels, 4 cinderblocks, and a chainsaw. And we definitely need those sidepipes.

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Also, I made some great ropa vieja and tostones on Sunday. For an accompaniment I made mojo, it is so simple and so good. Total cuban style.

4 large cloves garlic, peeled
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    3/4 tsp coarse salt
    1 bunch cilantro
    1/2 - 1 cup virgin Spanish olive oil
    4-5 Tbsp (approximately) water (add a little and save like 2 tbsp if needed to blend)
    Spanish sherry vinegar to taste (a dash!)

Prep the ingredients, blend together, and refrigerate. Eat every day and offend others with your body odor.

pit in the hood, smoke in the trunk

easysig2.jpg
    That's what I thought at first, but then I wanted to keep the smoke box in the engine compartment and the grill in the cab so the roof, windshield, windows side and rear could be hinged on the passenger side. Spare wood in the trunk.

I wish I was an artiste, or some kind of engineering Guy that I could properly depict this.

This discussion has been closed.