As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TF2] Pyromania Update Day 3! MEET THE PYRO RELEASED! Do you believe in magic?

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    xzzy wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Y'know, I was thinking about the whole maps/Steam Workshop thing, and then I was reminded about this.

I figure that'll be where they test distributing maps, and then will open it up for TF2 afterwards.
    That's a neat idea, but knowing what I know about making maps for Source engine games, I cannot imagine how they plan to handle complex stuff like global lighting or payload carts or even control points on a 5cp map.

I bet optimization would be a major pain in the ass too.

I was mostly talking about the later part, the..
    They'll then be able to immediately upload those levels to their Steam Cloud and share them with other players online. We're also building a community site to host all of these player-created puzzles. The site will allow players to quickly find new puzzles and add them to their game, ready to play, with a single click. Players will then be able to rate the puzzles they've played, leave comments for puzzle creators, and follow creators they like.

Which sounds a hell of a lot like a Steam Workshop but for maps.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the PAX East, and in the spirit of TF2, I totes ordered a hat:
    hatd.png

Now everyone will know the score.
    Where's mine? :twisted:

Please, call me ebo.
  • Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I think if we both wore a Bear is Driving hat people would be confused. Also you could commit crimes and I might get blamed.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote:
    So, you can spend countless hours trying to hack together a map, which might eventually get you some recognition and a tip jug, or you can spend much less time making a weapon and play the lottery, or you can spend even less time on a hat and enter a lottery with a higher jackpot. The economic incentives are back-to-front relative to what's good for the game. And that, I think, is why the game's lost a lot of that charm it started out with (besides, of course, simple attrition): the meaningless doodads are more important than the actual game.[/i]
    As a guy who has made two popular TF2 maps I wish to thank you for this post.

Holy shit balls I never made the connection to you being here and those being your maps.

• RSPRSP Registered User regular
    Swiftwater!

I think if we both wore a Bear is Driving hat people would be confused. Also you could commit crimes and I might get blamed.
    :rotate:

Please, call me ebo.
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    My question would be to ask what the ratio is of hat makers who have moved on to jobs in the games industry, compared to map makers who have gotten jobs.

(spoiler: from what I've been able to gather, getting a map picked up by Valve earns you a heap of industry attention)

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    Who wants to see if we can fill up HoNC for some good old fashioned glory days PA nostalgic rompy poos?! Here I go!

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited February 2012
    We have plans to play tonight in about an hour and a half on HonC, might be better to wait until then.

I've been meaning to mention it in this thread.

edit: I like your signature icons. :bz

UEAKCrash on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I really wish I wasn't at work right now. I won't get home in time for HonCing

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
    get to server babies

Any bitches who want to play shoulkd do so now.

• devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    did someone last night say something about there being a tf2 tournament again?

I think Crash, in a drunken rage, challenged me to a fight at PAX; that's all I vaguely remember being tournamenty. (I also left at 11 so it could just have happened later)

Many weeks ago a 6v6 tournament was suggested but I don't think anything came from it. @beta_angel was going to supply prizes and award the winners with the fanciest of hats.

• beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'll gladly put up some prizes (let's not get crazy with hats now, people)...but Crash talked me down from the craziness.

If there is interest, I'd gladly support it and help out but I don't have the time to actually organize anything right now.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Epilepsy Warning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C7HvJq03mk

TF2 best anti-viral.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So, yeah, what happened with Foundry.

Apparently when they patched Foundry a while back, they completely re-compiled the map. Normally when they want to edit a map without doing a full compile they'd update the .lmp file for it with the tweaks to that specific version of the map. When they would fully re-compile, they would then delete the old lmp file since those tweaks weren't needed anymore.

Somehow the update on some servers actually missed deleting it, and so the server was trying to parse the tweaks from a different version of the map onto the current. And that's why it was going crazy.

Went through and pruned the spray folder. Apparently around 360 MB's of sprays had built up. Dunno if that'll help with the lag we were getting last night, but it wouldn't hurt. (Your spray should automatically be re-uploaded next time you connect to the server.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    0 multiplayer decals 4 lyfe.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    So, yeah, what happened with Foundry.

Apparently when they patched Foundry a while back, they completely re-compiled the map. Normally when they want to edit a map without doing a full compile they'd update the .lmp file for it with the tweaks to that specific version of the map. When they would fully re-compile, they would then delete the old lmp file since those tweaks weren't needed anymore.

Somehow the update on some servers actually missed deleting it, and so the server was trying to parse the tweaks from a different version of the map onto the current. And that's why it was going crazy.
    I mentioned what the problem was after the update hit and we were discussing it. Fletcher Dunn gave everyone a heads up on the HLDS mailing list:
    The latest updated removed a lump file from the depot. In case the update process doesn't delete it, please delete any files matching the following wildcard from your server:

tf/maps/cp_foundry*.lmp

Your humble servant,
    Fletch

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    I should use this opportunity to make a new spray. Admiral Akbar never really cut it.

Has there been any word about a TF2 tournament at PAX this year? I want the opportunity to be yelled at by @ebotastic in person!

Went through and pruned the spray folder. Apparently around 360 MB's of sprays had built up. Dunno if that'll help with the lag we were getting last night, but it wouldn't hurt. (Your spray should automatically be re-uploaded next time you connect to the server.)

I like how Valve disabled sprays and avatar icons on their servers. They'd probably have a terabyte of images if they didn't.

I should use this opportunity to make a new spray. Admiral Akbar never really cut it.

Has there been any word about a TF2 tournament at PAX this year? I want the opportunity to be yelled at by @ebotastic in person!

My favorite use of that was under my laser.

Also Ebo is the most chill quiet dude IRL. We had to tell him to use his TF2 voice at the bar. :)

This is why we get him to play TF2!

My question, for the curious, was basically answered in the PAX East schedule announcement thread:
    Are the tournament schedules going up soon or will they be released closer to the show?
    We're probably 2-3 weeks out from seeing tournament schedules. Sorry!

Anyway, if there is one, I would like to form a team. There will be an upper threshold for skill so that I don't look/feel bad.

Ahhh, I get it now.

I would possibly be interested in said tournament team perhaps maybe.

• duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    I'd play on a team.

edited March 2012
    We need to figure out who's all going to PAX East this year, current and former TF2 nerds. Roll call, nerds.

So far this is who I know of...

PAX East 2012 TF2 Nerds
    Crash
    Ebo
    Hey You
    Pablo The Penguin (you said this last night, right?)
    Bear is Driving
    Asiina
    That Guy
    Durax (I assume?)
    Riokenn (Saturday only)

PM me more reply here and I'll add you to the on going list.

UEAKCrash on
    I hope you guys realize that all PA TF2 teams are doomed to be eliminated from the tournament for bullshit reasons in the second to last round.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I hope you guys realize that all PA TF2 teams are doomed to be eliminated from the tournament for bullshit reasons in the second to last round.
    I feel like there is a story behind this post.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Bullshit like pro teams playing in the tourny? I thought that's what happened last time.

Limiting the amount of skill on the team will also serve to limit expectations. I am not concerned about these so-called "professional gamers".

That I'm getting so antsy for PAX suggests that I am long past due for a vacation. This is more concerning to me now.

UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Bullshit like pro teams playing in the tourny? I thought that's what happened last time.

Pretty much, every time a group of pros enter the tourney and curbstomp everyone they encounter.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm going Saturday. SO if it happens to be on a Saturday I can probably kill some mans.

Oh and I don't know if they revamped the tourney system from PAX East 2010, but that was one of the more frustrating tournaments I joined. 8 hours for a simple L4D2 tournament? C'mon. :/ Of course this was due to technical difficulties with steam kicking team members off during a match and we would have do the match all over again.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Yeah, if it eats up too much time during PAX, I'm out. I'd rather explore the place.

UEAKCrash wrote:

My favorite use of that was under my laser.

Also Ebo is the most chill quiet dude IRL. We had to tell him to use his TF2 voice at the bar. :)
    I don't know what you're talking about.

Please, call me ebo.
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular

they always do. you'll find them and meet up at some point...and then lose

2 years ago we ran into them early, was me, Arikado, Eric, Afro_J, Random_Engy, and someone else...maybe m4v1s? I can't remember. but yeah, you'll get somewhat stomped =)

edited March 2012
    An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
    Added The Teufort Tooth Kicker
    Fixed being able to call server votes for training maps
    Fixed a case where capturing a point in overtime would end the round before time could be added
    Fixed not hearing the third-person weapon sounds for The Gloves of Running Urgently, The Overdose, and The Wrap Assassin
    Fixed unusual particles appearing in the wrong place for the Desert Marauder
    Improved bot behaviors
    Updated cp_mountainlab
    Fixed several clipping issues
    Updated the gamehaptics file:
    Added draw/swing/stab forces to the Black Rose
    Added missing forces for Three Rune Blade
    Added more detail to butterfly knife draw forces
    Modified Overdose recoil force to more accurately reflect new sound effect
    Refined Huntsman & Minigun recoil forces
    Refined Jarate throw force
    Refined Syringe Gun crit recoil forces
    Arquivos de localização atualizados

We can stop blaming the server now.

UEAKCrash on
    This just in: cp_mountainlab is still shit.

(also it still spams a bunch of errors on the console when loading the map)

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    This just in: cp_mountainlab is still shit.
    Well, yeah. At first I thought cp_mountainlab wasn't so bad because I was sick and fucking tired of every server either being 24/7 Mann Manor or Mann Manor coming up every two or three maps, but playing cp_mountainlab eventually made me start thinking that the Horsemann and general chaos it could cause is what made the map bearable/enjoyable (YMMV).

Hopefully the clipping fixes means you won't get stuck when going to the high ground above the tunnel between the first and second points. That always seems to happen to at least one person every round.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    One of these years I'll remember to get a three-day pass to PAX and meet up with you guys.

You watch: next time there's a PAX east, the whole of the TF2 crew will be in diaspora and nobody will think to schedule a meet-up.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Goddammit Valve, stop trying to make the soldier look like a Conquistador. I'm not a profitable market for exploiting!

VRXwDW7.png
This discussion has been closed.