As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] has launched!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I've heard people talking about the L/R button air breaking with the Wipeout control scheme in 2048, please sell me on it.

Directional Airbreaks. One-button directional sharp turns or double-tap dirtectional position shift.

Makes everything better.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Unco-ordinated

I have no dog in this race, but my friendly suggestion to you is to just move your whole rant to a PM. It's kind of shitty to go off on someone and then tell them that if they "HAVE" to respond, they should do so in a PM. Eat your own dog food. You delete your written assault take this to a PM if you feel the need to extend a very off-topic railing. Otherwise, just delete and move on. Don't let other people's opinions of your preferred hardware get you down, or you'll have a very difficult life.

And most of all, just c'mon guys, be relatively mature about this. Otherwise the whole thing just devolves into off topic bickering.
    A couple of those things were related to the Vita and I was trying to the thread more than him but eh, I'm always the one that drops our arguments anyway, so I'll go and edit it out. I'd just like to defend myself a little bit by saying I've mentioned the industry thread maybe twice (excluding this argument) and any comments saying I don't post in there any more were almost certainly the same two posts, so *shrug*.

I will however respond to the save/trophy issue as that's on topic. This is the current message that pops up when you try to play a game with someone else's save on it:
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

It tells you what the problem is, so you can then go ahead and wipe the save data (or if you don't care about trophies, continue playing). Wiping the save data is simple, so I don't really see the huge problem. And if anything, the people selling Vita games second hand should probably do this before they sell it anyway.
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Aw..
    Hello Jacob,
    Thank you for your interest in getting ZHP in your region. It is this
    prinny's sad duty to report that we do not have plans to add it to the
    PlayStation Store for Australia/New Zealand territories. While not an
    official solution, you could create an account based in a different region
    and use a PlayStation Store card to grab a copy that way, but that is all we
    can suggest for your particular situation. We are very sorry for this
    inconvenience, but we really do appreciate your support and take it into
    consideration when we hear our games have a fanbase all across the world.
    I'm surprised he didn't just say "we'll look into it" and never respond back but either way, it's still bullshit. There are no censorship issues like games often face when being released in Germany (and sometimes Australia), it's just "we don't think you're worth spending the money to get our games classified over there" with a "please go out of your way to buy our games anyway" stuck on the end. If anything it makes me less inclined to buy their games at all than go out of my way to pay them money.

Edit: Ah shit, page one hundred? I'll wait till it's closed and then open the new one.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to download PSP demos onto the Vita? I can't seem to find them in the store. Can they be downloaded via PS3 and transferred?

No PSP demos on Vita. Sorry.

I was worried that might be the case. There are lots of PSP games I'd like to try out before buying too. Oh well. Guess I'll have to count on you guys for recommendations!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I will however respond to the save/trophy issue as that's on topic. This is the current message that pops up when you try to play a game with someone else's save on it:
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

It tells you what the problem is, so you can then go ahead and wipe the save data (or if you don't care about trophies, continue playing). Wiping the save data is simple, so I don't really see the huge problem. And if anything, the people selling Vita games second hand should probably do this before they sell it anyway.

The problem here is that it's more work than you have to do for trophies/cheevos on used PS3/360 games... in essence it's something the gaming public has never been asked to do before. Granted, it's not a huge problem, but it's a little annoyance that could have been eliminated with some foresight.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    yalborap wrote: »
    God dammit, no local blazblue. I wanna use my BURNING FISTS OF JUSTICE dammit!

Huh? It had both fully online and Ad-hoc (local) multiplayer.

I read that as "I couldnt find Blazblue in a store, locally".

Correct. At this point I'm gonna have to just buy it online.

Will punch in the order at midnight, when my paycheck slots in. I wish I could go digital, but it's 3 damn gigs. I just can't justify it.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Well yeah. BB has a lot of content. And a lot if hand drawn HD sprites and artwork.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

The problem here is that it's more work than you have to do for trophies/cheevos on used PS3/360 games... in essence it's something the gaming public has never been asked to do before. Granted, it's not a huge problem, but it's a little annoyance that could have been eliminated with some foresight.

Well how would you have fixed it then? I can come up with plenty of other solutions like not saving on the game card at all, storing a number of different saves on a card, automatically wiping saves not attached to the current account and so on. But I don't really think any of them are great alternatives. I mean they could've just added a "Do you want to wipe the current saves" menu when you boot the game up but as I pointed out earlier, that would probably make wiping saves a little TOO easy (eg, if a kid borrows a game, they could wipe progress out without knowing what they were doing). Sure it's not something PS3 and 360 owners will encounter (though you can use other peoples saves in most PS3 games and it'll disable trophies until you create a new save) but it's just something handhelds will have to deal with as long as they have physical media.

Edit: Anyway, I'll be gone for a bit so if this thread gets closed in the meantime, just wait a little bit I shouldn't be too long. I've got the new OP mostly set up though the FAQ needs a bit of work.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

I agree that it's kind of an annoyance (but far short of a dealbreaker) that could have been avoided. Fortunately, I plan to do all my purchasing from the PSN (yay for digital content being sold digitally!).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

Well how would you have fixed it then? I can come up with plenty of other solutions like not saving on the game card at all, storing a number of different saves on a card, automatically wiping saves not attached to the current account and so on. But I don't really think any of them are great alternatives. I mean they could've just added a "Do you want to wipe the current saves" menu when you boot the game up but as I pointed out earlier, that would probably make wiping saves a little TOO easy (eg, if a kid borrows a game, they could wipe progress out without knowing what they were doing). Sure it's not something PS3 and 360 owners will encounter (though you can use other peoples saves in most PS3 games and it'll disable trophies until you create a new save) but it's just something handhelds will have to deal with as long as they have physical media.

Tying trophies to the individual account rather than the save file, so that the issue never comes up at all, would be a good start.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Quick question, sorry if this was asked earlier - what happens if you say yes?

Will it never ask you again, necessitating a manual delete of the saves in order to get those trophies? What if you blazed past the question or forgot you answered yes?

Or will it ask you on every boot up, meaning you have to choose yes every time? That will probably annoy anyone who borrows games, perhaps even to the extent that they'd hit "no" and delete the data just to get it to quit popping up.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The issue, then, is that you hit the whole "Here's a save with 99 Bobbins collected and I skipped the one in the open in the first area, quick Bobbin Collection cheevo!" problem.

And avoiding that either requires a wholly separate file for cheevo related goods, or...Linking things in such a fashion that Account + Save must match. Which is what they did.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    ...Are people still being gooses about this?

I said before and I'll say it again; Go load a save file up from a USB memory stick on a 360. It does the same thing. This is not vita specific. 360 does the exact same thing. You cannot, in fact, load a PS3 or 360 save file at all from another profile. Nor can your account win trophies while loaded into someone elses account through games that allow multi-account play.

How are people still even bitching about this when its been in both consoles since day one, some odd 8 years ago?

Hell, dicking around with my phone, Open Feint just ignores any save file not associated with my user account and I cant get cheevos on that either!

So the issue here is that since it only allows a single save profile (Like a lot of DS/3DS games, mind.) and saves to a rare one or two games, that this is somehow an issue?

I honestly wonder how some people continue to breath. I really do.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    To be fair, you wouldn't likely run into it on the 360, what with it not saving any save data to its non-rewritable game media and all. You'd basically have to try and fail, or have a reason to think about it for a minute and come to the logical conclusion, to run into that.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I'm not bitching, I just wondered about the behavior when you click yes.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

Tying trophies to the individual account rather than the save file, so that the issue never comes up at all, would be a good start.

Trophies are tied to the individual account but so is the game progress. If I download an Assassin's Creed 2 save that's 2 minutes from the end of the game and then finish it, should I get the trophy? No. That is why the saves are tied to the accounts, because they're unique to that persons progress. If I want to get the AC2 trophy, I should have to start a brand new game up and finish it myself.

Sporky, I believe it'll be just like it is on the PS3 if you copy someone else's save over. It'll tell you that it's someone else's save every time you load the game and it will award trophies to neither person. If someone gets annoyed and specifically deletes the data then they'll have to deal with the person whose save they just deleted (though I doubt anyone would let someone borrow their game if they weren't prepared to lose the save file).

Edit: chocobolicious, the PS3 will actually let you copy saves to a different account (assuming they're not copy protected ones). Then when you load the game up it'll tell you that the save file doesn't match the account and that trophies will be disabled if you proceed. Actually, if I remember correctly it differs from game to game but that's the common response. Sometimes when games have cheats (like in GTAIV), they'll disable trophies as well.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    To be fair, you wouldn't likely run into it on the 360, what with it not saving any save data to its non-rewritable game media and all. You'd basically have to try and fail, or have a reason to think about it for a minute and come to the logical conclusion, to run into that.

Exactly.

@chocobolicious - The (again, rather small) issue that people have is that they buy a used game, put it in, and are confronted with this problem. That doesn't happen on other consoles. Yes, it's simple to fix, but you'd be silly to argue that it's a good "feature." At best, it's a poor design decision.

minor incident on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    So has anyone ordered Psp game codes off of Gamestop's website? They just send you the code right? I'm curious because, while not all of them of course, a lot of psp game download codes cost anywhere from 5 to 15 less than getting them off PSN (ZHP for example is 20 from GS as opposed to 30 on PSN). Not huge on GameStop, but I would certainly buy some codes from the site if they just email em to you after purchase.

• Options
    I'd be happier in an Achivement/Trophy free world.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    @Unco-ordinated

I have no dog in this race, but my friendly suggestion to you is to just move your whole rant to a PM. It's kind of shitty to go off on someone and then tell them that if they "HAVE" to respond, they should do so in a PM. Eat your own dog food. You delete your written assault take this to a PM if you feel the need to extend a very off-topic railing. Otherwise, just delete and move on. Don't let other people's opinions of your preferred hardware get you down, or you'll have a very difficult life.

And most of all, just c'mon guys, be relatively mature about this. Otherwise the whole thing just devolves into off topic bickering.
    A couple of those things were related to the Vita and I was trying to the thread more than him but eh, I'm always the one that drops our arguments anyway, so I'll go and edit it out. I'd just like to defend myself a little bit by saying I've mentioned the industry thread maybe twice (excluding this argument) and any comments saying I don't post in there any more were almost certainly the same two posts, so *shrug*.

vita-trophy-locked.jpg

Rizzi wrote: »
    Aw..
    Hello Jacob,
    Thank you for your interest in getting ZHP in your region. It is this
    prinny's sad duty to report that we do not have plans to add it to the
    PlayStation Store for Australia/New Zealand territories. While not an
    official solution, you could create an account based in a different region
    and use a PlayStation Store card to grab a copy that way, but that is all we
    can suggest for your particular situation. We are very sorry for this
    inconvenience, but we really do appreciate your support and take it into
    consideration when we hear our games have a fanbase all across the world.
    I'm surprised he didn't just say "we'll look into it" and never respond back but either way, it's still bullshit. There are no censorship issues like games often face when being released in Germany (and sometimes Australia), it's just "we don't think you're worth spending the money to get our games classified over there" with a "please go out of your way to buy our games anyway" stuck on the end. If anything it makes me less inclined to buy their games at all than go out of my way to pay them money.

Edit: Ah shit, page one hundred? I'll wait till it's closed and then open the new one.

That's pretty much my opinion too. Are you sure you're not me? :P

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Aoi wrote: »
    So has anyone ordered Psp game codes off of Gamestop's website? They just send you the code right? I'm curious because, while not all of them of course, a lot of psp game download codes cost anywhere from 5 to 15 less than getting them off PSN (ZHP for example is 20 from GS as opposed to 30 on PSN). Not huge on GameStop, but I would certainly buy some codes from the site if they just email em to you after purchase.

I had no idea this was a thing. Damn. Thanks for mentioning it. Sorry I don't have any info on it, though.

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'd be happier in an Achivement/Trophy free world.

I find that they have made more of a completionist. I know for a fact I've finished more games since I've become a trophy whore
    Renzo wrote: »
    Aoi wrote: »

I had no idea this was a thing. Damn. Thanks for mentioning it. Sorry I don't have any info on it, though.

I also let this slip under my radar. But am looking into it now. Thanks, and any further info would be appreciated. I usually spend money at Best Buy for PSN cards to get points, but wouldn't mind swapping to Gamestop if they are cheaper, and I guess I can add points to my Rewards thingy there.

edit: There are 31 pages of download PSP games on Gamestop website. There may be tons of deals.

b1rdman on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Reset my system (surprisingly painless process) and Near worked on the first try. Hopefully it stays that way.

This 60 minute restriction is bull, though. I've got like four Rayman relics I want to send out. At least let us send out gifts as many times as we want.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Reset my system (surprisingly painless process) and Near worked on the first try. Hopefully it stays that way.

This 60 minute restriction is bull, though. I've got like four Rayman relics I want to send out. At least let us send out gifts as many times as we want.

Did you have to format the memory card or just the system?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, do we have any idea when Sound Shapes is going to be dropping?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Just read the skype blog article on PSV. What's the deal with only voice calls. If my Galaxy Nexus can achieve video calls, I demand the same from my Vita.

Anyone know anything about this at all?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, do we have any idea when Sound Shapes is going to be dropping?

Nothing definite at the moment. There is that Vita webcast on March 9th where they're going to be announcing Vita games - I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Sound Shapes' release date then.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Anyone know what the specifics of Capcom's arrangement with Nintendo are regarding Resident Evil Revelations? What are the chances that we will see Revelations come to the Vita?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Just read the skype blog article on PSV. What's the deal with only voice calls. If my Galaxy Nexus can achieve video calls, I demand the same from my Vita.

Wait...Skype on vita can't do video calls? That's as dumb, if not worse, than modnation racers not having online play.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Anyone know what the specifics of Capcom's arrangement with Nintendo are regarding Resident Evil Revelations? What are the chances that we will see Revelations come to the Vita?

0%

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    chrpnk wrote: »

Wait...Skype on vita can't do video calls? That's as dumb, if not worse, than modnation racers not having online play.

Whoa. Hold the phone before people start quoting me as saying that the Vita is a no video skype blunder. I saw that there was a blog post on the skype site and it only said skype to skype voice calls with no mention of skype to skype video calls. This may be an overlook, a typo, or maybe it will be a non existent feature. I was simply asking if anyone of you fine gents had any further information on the matter.

edit: Proof
    Well not proof, but the proof of what I was referring to if people wanted to read it for themselves I guess.

b1rdman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is the AI in Modnation any less cheap in the Vita version? I liked the idea of the game, and I had fun with the first 2 circuits on my PS3, but i hated that they tied all of the construction pieces and customization pieces to winning races in single player, and then they made the AI have the most bullshit cheapness ever. Getting hit by 4 missile swarms when you're 10 yards from the finish line, all of that stuff made the game not-fun after a while.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

Exactly.

@chocobolicious - The (again, rather small) issue that people have is that they buy a used game, put it in, and are confronted with this problem. That doesn't happen on other consoles. Yes, it's simple to fix, but you'd be silly to argue that it's a good "feature." At best, it's a poor design decision.

then again this only happens on a single game released in the US/UK so far, and two in japan. So you pretty much have to be looking to run into it. Could they have fixed it by just making it delete any progress on a game not tied to the account or something similar? Sure. There is no real other way to say, 'You can't get trophies from someone elses save file' though. And the 'just deleting the save file' thing would have plenty of other issues. So what massively awesome solution is there?

No matter what, there has to be some way for the system to tell you that you aren't going to get cheevos from a save file someone else made. So whats this magical fix?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Whoa. Hold the phone before people start quoting me as saying that the Vita is a no video skype blunder. I saw that there was a blog post on the skype site and it only said skype to skype voice calls with no mention of skype to skype video calls. This may be an overlook, a typo, or maybe it will be a non existent feature. I was simply asking if anyone of you fine gents had any further information on the matter.

Well not proof, but the proof of what I was referring to if people wanted to read it for themselves I guess.

To me that article implies that it's voice only. I would love to be wrong, but it seems odd they would stress the voice aspect and not mention video anywhere.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

To me that article implies that it's voice only. I would love to be wrong, but it seems odd they would stress the voice aspect and not mention video anywhere.

From all the searches I've done, it seems like (at least for now) it's voice only.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Yeah. That's what I was getting at with my first post. And was looking for insight from anyone who knew anything. It would be sad if this were the case, as I could see huge potential for a gaming machine with social capabilities being pushed to utilize this. And with things like Google plus and Facebook having video options, the possibilities wouldn't just end with games.

Like I said, this thing should be at least as capable as my Nexus. I would feel like someone dropped the ball if video was left out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Exactly.

then again this only happens on a single game released in the US/UK so far, and two in japan. So you pretty much have to be looking to run into it. Could they have fixed it by just making it delete any progress on a game not tied to the account or something similar? Sure. There is no real other way to say, 'You can't get trophies from someone elses save file' though. And the 'just deleting the save file' thing would have plenty of other issues. So what massively awesome solution is there?

No matter what, there has to be some way for the system to tell you that you aren't going to get cheevos from a save file someone else made. So whats this magical fix?

My suggestion would be simple: Do it the same way that home consoles do. Keep game data & save data all on the console (memory card, in this case), not on the game disc (cart, in this case). Yes, home consoles do it out of necessity because of the optical media, but the arrangement makes sense on any console regardless of the media type, and it's the method most gamers are well accustomed to.

• Options

Exactly.

My suggestion would be simple: Do it the same way that home consoles do. Keep game data & save data all on the console (memory card, in this case), not on the game disc (cart, in this case). Yes, home consoles do it out of necessity because of the optical media, but the arrangement makes sense on any console regardless of the media type, and it's the method most gamers are well accustomed to.

Yes. Seems logical I would say. But there also is a problem in the fact that we will probably be using multiple memory cards for this system. With people reporting that a 32 GB isn't enough for them, I feel like keeping track of where your save is for a certain game may prove a problem if you are the type to keep saves and swap games on and off your memory cards. When you go to redownload a game from PSN to continue playing, whether to finish the story or wrap up some trophies, you will want to have that save ready. Sony really should have a cloud option open to all PSN accounts for something like this. Then when you want to, you can back up your saves for any game and know where they are. Maybe I am over thinking this matter. Correct me if I am.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    What

Who is 32gb not enough for

Show me these people, so that I can hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper or some shit

You don't need to have every game you own downloaded to the memory card at the same time

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    What

Show me these people, so that I can hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper or some shit

You don't need to have every game you own downloaded to the memory card at the same time

If you start putting vita games, psp games, and 960x544 resolution videos of decent quality on there it fills up quick.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    What

Haha. I have like... 7 or 8 Vita games downloaded to my 32gb card, plus a shitload of PSP games. I think I've used 13 gigs so far. If I actually fill this thing up eventually, it's super easy to just back up the games/saves to my Mac, so that's what I'll do.

This discussion has been closed.