As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] has launched!

19596979899101»

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    chrpnk wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    What

Who is 32gb not enough for

Show me these people, so that I can hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper or some shit

You don't need to have every game you own downloaded to the memory card at the same time

If you start putting vita games, psp games, and 960x544 resolution videos of decent quality on there it fills up quick.

This. That was my point. It won't be just games for everyone. Sony wants it to be a multimedia machine. People will put music, videos, high res pics for unlock screens, etc as well as the games. I thought I would never eat up the 60 GB of my PS3, but when all my games keep getting updates, as well as the system continuing to updates, that HDD went down pretty fast. Now I have to decide what I can live without when I want to get a new demo or install a new game. Plus, Like my PSP, I plan on having multiple cards once the price comes down. The main reason: My ISP isn't lightning fast, and it takes a bit to download a game, so I would rather keep the good ones where I know they will be ready to play. And in this circumstance, I want to know I have the saves ready to go. But for whatever reason, if I need to ditch the game from the card for some reason, I still want to know where that save will be for when I need it again.

Think of the library of PSP games available that this thread has been talking about. Pretty soon(hopefully) that will be the Vita. And people will have a lot of content to manage, and a lot of saves to go with it as well. I'm embracing the digital nature of this device, because I want it to be my portable Steam(yeah, right), but I'm just a little skeptical of it all at the moment.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    @Unco-ordinated

I have no dog in this race, but my friendly suggestion to you is to just move your whole rant to a PM. It's kind of shitty to go off on someone and then tell them that if they "HAVE" to respond, they should do so in a PM. Eat your own dog food. You delete your written assault take this to a PM if you feel the need to extend a very off-topic railing. Otherwise, just delete and move on. Don't let other people's opinions of your preferred hardware get you down, or you'll have a very difficult life.

And most of all, just c'mon guys, be relatively mature about this. Otherwise the whole thing just devolves into off topic bickering.
    A couple of those things were related to the Vita and I was trying to the thread more than him but eh, I'm always the one that drops our arguments anyway, so I'll go and edit it out. I'd just like to defend myself a little bit by saying I've mentioned the industry thread maybe twice (excluding this argument) and any comments saying I don't post in there any more were almost certainly the same two posts, so *shrug*.

I will however respond to the save/trophy issue as that's on topic. This is the current message that pops up when you try to play a game with someone else's save on it:
    vita-trophy-locked.jpg

It tells you what the problem is, so you can then go ahead and wipe the save data (or if you don't care about trophies, continue playing). Wiping the save data is simple, so I don't really see the huge problem. And if anything, the people selling Vita games second hand should probably do this before they sell it anyway.
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Aw..
    Hello Jacob,
    Thank you for your interest in getting ZHP in your region. It is this
    prinny's sad duty to report that we do not have plans to add it to the
    PlayStation Store for Australia/New Zealand territories. While not an
    official solution, you could create an account based in a different region
    and use a PlayStation Store card to grab a copy that way, but that is all we
    can suggest for your particular situation. We are very sorry for this
    inconvenience, but we really do appreciate your support and take it into
    consideration when we hear our games have a fanbase all across the world.
    I'm surprised he didn't just say "we'll look into it" and never respond back but either way, it's still bullshit. There are no censorship issues like games often face when being released in Germany (and sometimes Australia), it's just "we don't think you're worth spending the money to get our games classified over there" with a "please go out of your way to buy our games anyway" stuck on the end. If anything it makes me less inclined to buy their games at all than go out of my way to pay them money.

Edit: Ah shit, page one hundred? I'll wait till it's closed and then open the new one.

That's pretty much my opinion too. Are you sure you're not me? :P
    God no, then I'd be Australian. :P

But yeah, I just don't know what to do. Ideally, the PSN would allow cross-region gifting, so it wouldn't be an issue as we could just create a US account, order a US PSN card and gift it to ourselves. But the way it is we're completely reliant on publishers being nice to us and if not then my attitude turns more towards "fuck em". I'd rather give the ones that do bring their games over (like Ghostlight, even if they were late, and Rising Star Games) my money.
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, do we have any idea when Sound Shapes is going to be dropping?

Nothing definite at the moment. There is that Vita webcast on March 9th where they're going to be announcing Vita games - I wouldn't be surprised if they announced Sound Shapes' release date then.

There's a much better chance of Sony announcing it at their GDC conference next week than the webcast, as the latter is just a Japanese thing. I guess it could receive a short mention but the focus will almost certainly be on Japanese third parties.

@Lucascraft: There's no contract or anything, so Capcom can do whatever they like with it. It's even running on a very lite version of the MT Framework engine, so the port would be pretty easy. And seeing as this is Capcom we're talking about, I'd be shocked if it's not ported to the Vita or even the PS3/360.

Same reason why I'd be surprised if Capcom kept Monster Hunter 4 3DS exclusive. When have Capcom ever stayed loyal to any one system?

And from what I've heard, there's a lot less rubber banding in the Vita version of Modnation. It still might be a better idea to wait and see what happens with LittleBigPlanet Karting though. Chances are, it'll be a much better attempt.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    I'm embracing the digital nature of this device, because I want it to be my portable Steam

You and I are very much on the same page here.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    What

Show me these people, so that I can hit them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper or some shit

You don't need to have every game you own downloaded to the memory card at the same time

Haha. I have like... 7 or 8 Vita games downloaded to my 32gb card, plus a shitload of PSP games. I think I've used 13 gigs so far. If I actually fill this thing up eventually, it's super easy to just back up the games/saves to my Mac, so that's what I'll do.

Well this is why I said correct me if I am wrong. How easy is it to back said things up to a PC? I stayed away from the digital front on my PSP(never actually signed into PSN IIRC), so I don't really know whats going on here. But if it is as simple as putting music on and off the PSP, then I take back what I said and think all will be ok.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm embracing the digital nature of this device, because I want it to be my portable Steam

Vita needs a messaging game overlay, cloud saving, and to knock that shit off about games being able to disable network features.

Also, background Skype during a game (as an option instead of party chat).

Throw in Mumble as well.

Hey, I can dream.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    What

Haha. I have like... 7 or 8 Vita games downloaded to my 32gb card, plus a shitload of PSP games. I think I've used 13 gigs so far. If I actually fill this thing up eventually, it's super easy to just back up the games/saves to my Mac, so that's what I'll do.

Well this is why I said correct me if I am wrong. How easy is it to back said things up to a PC? I stayed away from the digital front on my PSP(never actually signed into PSN IIRC), so I don't really know whats going on here. But if it is as simple as putting music on and off the PSP, then I take back what I said and think all will be ok.

Oh, it's totally painless. Like plugging in an iPod. You just connect it with the app on the computer running, and tell it to back up your games and save data and it'll save all of them. You can also, of course, move individual games/photos/songs/etc back and forth (again, much like syncing an iPod).

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, totally forgot about this too, but

Maddoc / Masked_Unit / GMT -5

• nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    What

Oh, it's totally painless. Like plugging in an iPod. You just connect it with the app on the computer running, and tell it to back up your games and save data and it'll save all of them. You can also, of course, move individual games/photos/songs/etc back and forth (again, much like syncing an iPod).

I've got a call into Sony recommending that you get a generous commission for the 32gb card that I'll be buying because of all your words. Let me know when you get the check. I'm sure they'll send it to you c/o The Internet.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
    edited March 2012
    What

Well i'm sold. I take back all previous nonsense on the matter. Carry on gentlemen.

Vita needs a messaging game overlay, cloud saving, and to knock that shit off about games being able to disable network features.

Also, background Skype during a game (as an option instead of party chat).

Throw in Mumble as well.

Hey, I can dream.

This. All of this 100 times over. We can all dream. And sony can hopefully live up to it.

Edit: also, knock off this keep the price of old games at retail. In this regard they should very much follow the Steam model of business

b1rdman on
    steam_sig.png
    nathanael wrote: »
    What

I've got a call into Sony recommending that you get a generous commission for the 32gb card that I'll be buying because of all your words. Let me know when you get the check. I'm sure they'll send it to you c/o The Internet.

I'd be a rich man if I got commission checks from the internet. =]

And then I'd be poor again because I buy so many things too. =[

• Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Just got Elite Passes on all the 2048 events in WipEout. It's really good, but overall it just makes me wish for a new F-Zero in the vein of GX. WipEout isn't bad, but it puts a bit too much emphasis on weapons and shortcuts for my tastes. It almost seems like it lifts a few too many gameplay ideas from Mario Kart. F-Zero was just about balls-out speed and flat-out mastery of your machine and the course before it. GX is still one of my all-time favorite games, and it kills me that we never saw a WX for the Wii.

Chris FOM wrote:
    Just got Elite Passes on all the 2048 events in WipEout. It's really good, but overall it just makes me wish for a new F-Zero in the vein of GX. WipEout isn't bad, but it puts a bit too much emphasis on weapons and shortcuts for my tastes. It almost seems like it lifts a few too many gameplay ideas from Mario Kart. F-Zero was just about balls-out speed and flat-out mastery of your machine and the course before it. GX is still one of my all-time favorite games, and it kills me that we never saw a WX for the Wii.

I really wish i was better at this game. It just sounds like my kind of game on paper. I just never get into it once i have it...is there a demo?

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I really just can't get over how much better PSN and the PSN Store feel on the Vita

Compared to the PS3, it feels faster and more responsive, and overall just better integrated, with a far better UI

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Reset my system (surprisingly painless process) and Near worked on the first try. Hopefully it stays that way.

This 60 minute restriction is bull, though. I've got like four Rayman relics I want to send out. At least let us send out gifts as many times as we want.

Did you have to format the memory card or just the system?

Just the system. It even asks you if you want to format your card or not in the process.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Does Portable Ops work on the Vita if you transfer it from your PS3?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh, yeah, totally forgot about this too, but

Maddoc / Masked_Unit / GMT -5

Added to the next OP.

Who was it that has his Vita completely lock up on him and had to call Sony Support to find out how to get it working again? I'm trying to remember what steps he had to take but I can't remember exactly what he said and I can't find it using search. Was it hold the power button down for 30 seconds, let go for 10 seconds and then hold it down again?

Edit: Nope, Portable Ops doesn't work at the moment.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    I really just can't get over how much better PSN and the PSN Store feel on the Vita

Compared to the PS3, it feels faster and more responsive, and overall just better integrated, with a far better UI

That touch interface makes browsing the store SO much more pleasant. Flicking to scroll through long lists alone improves the experience tenfold.

That touch interface makes browsing the store SO much more pleasant. Flicking to scroll through long lists alone improves the experience tenfold.

The PSN Store on the PS3 feels like an interface made for a mouse, that you're forced to navigate using a gamepad.

This discussion has been closed.