As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the u3011 is a 2540x1600 panel.

2560x1600

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Pariel wrote: »
    The one thing I would use a 30" for would be watching a movie from my bed. 23" is wayyyyy too small for that. But I'm not gonna have $1,000 to drop on a monitor anytime soon (well, I guess I could, but I think certain females in my life would complain, possibly by shanking me).

Well there's your problem. Cut it down to one wife/girlfriend and your life will be much simpler.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    lol

hey could you guys help me out with this auditory dilemma?

I cannot find a single digital, surround, wireless headset that will let me easily switch between my ps3 and my pc. At this point I'd settle for digital from my PC and just plain stereo from my ps3.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    lol

hey could you guys help me out with this auditory dilemma?

I cannot find a single digital, surround, wireless headset that will let me easily switch between my ps3 and my pc. At this point I'd settle for digital from my PC and just plain stereo from my ps3.

My advice would be to use whatever headset you like, and just buy an Astro Mixamp (or, even better, the wireless version) to plug them into. That'll let you easily move it back and forth from your PC to your PS3, and will take care of your surround sound desires on both.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I think I am legit gonna buy a Raspberry pi. That is such a cool idea.

the astro is what everyone says, but it's not really wireless. I mean... for me it'd only be wireless from my desk that it sits on to the ps3, sitting on the same desk, not 8 inches away =/

the astro is what everyone says, but it's not really wireless. I mean... for me it'd only be wireless from my desk that it sits on to the ps3, sitting on the same desk, not 8 inches away =/

Is there any reason you'd even need wireless headphones if you're sitting right at the desk with your pc/console? In general, they're a terrible thing and should be avoided if possible. I only use a wireless mixamp in my living room because I can not have wires running 10 feet to my TV with a large dog running around.

Seriously, if you're that close, you should stick to wired 'phones. They're cheaper, less finicky, and higher quality for less money.

really? poo

really it's just that I...well I really HATE wires. I figured with a wireless setup, having not had surround headphones before and itching to hear it in bf3 on my pc, I could knock out 2 birds with one stone: surround AND getting rid of the attrocious headache of switching wires around as I do now. If I bought a wired digital headset it'd probably have to be usb since they're on the front of pc/ps3 and since it's all 0's and 1's I don't see there being a difference between TOS and USB.

Now I can do this so long as it WORKS switching between ps3/pc but really...it'd be nice to get rid of these wires. If it's not possible it's not possible; and it seems likely to not be possible =(

The turtle beach px5 seems ideal....if only it were designed for pc first, not ps3. As it stands to use the mic with pc I have to plug it in...via usb ^o^ lol.

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

If it can really handle 1080p video, and they can give us the option for more licenses beyond h.264, then it'll be basically the best little replacement for an Apple TV around. XBMC Live/OpenElec on an SD card and go.

Alecthar wrote: »

If it can really handle 1080p video, and they can give us the option for more licenses beyond h.264, then it'll be basically the best little replacement for an Apple TV around. XBMC Live/OpenElec on an SD card and go.

If it could handle 1080p MKV and DivX then I might have to order one. A bit of velcro on the back of a TV and it'd be like having a tiny media center built into your TV.

• punkpunk Professional Network Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular

Bummer that we won't see decent distribution in the US for some time. The two distributors they have lined up now are in the UK and last time I checked there was about a $20 "tax"on them to cover export.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »

If it could handle 1080p MKV and DivX then I might have to order one. A bit of velcro on the back of a TV and it'd be like having a tiny media center built into your TV.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Might grab one for media duties to hook up to my router, then to my TV, so's I can just watch TV online, rather than paying for the satellite.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @Minor Incident, I finally wrastled my camera into taking some passable shots despite the wretched lightning in my house. Forgive my crappy photography.

Left to right is a hanns g 28" 1200p display, HP ZR30W 1600P, and a random 20" that I got from the local recycle place that's running at 1050x1600 portrait
    IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

And then i decided to try and be fancy, so here's a silly shot of my case with the displays in the background.
    IMG_0299.jpg

Man I really need a new desk, that thing is just terrible.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thanks alot assholes. I already feel plenty insecure about enough aspects of my life. Now I can add in having to compensate for my 21" 1680x1050 monitor. I'm going to have to go home and rough up my 2 y.o. son just to make myself feel better. I hope you're all happy!

TheCanMan on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't see a workstation thread anymore

Anyone have a rec on a good cushy desk chair for under 200?

My current chair is like 6 years old and I'm basically sitting on a metal plate at this point

Jasconius on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    punk wrote: »

Bummer that we won't see decent distribution in the US for some time. The two distributors they have lined up now are in the UK and last time I checked there was about a $20 "tax"on them to cover export.

Co-worker who bought one 2 days ago just told me the $20 handling fee to the US was a mistake and they are refunding that to anyone who bought one and was so charged.

TheCanMan wrote: »
    Thanks alot assholes. I already feel plenty insecure about enough aspects of my life. Now I can add in having to compensate for my 21" 1680x1050 monitor. I'm going to have to go home and rough up my 2 y.o. son just to make myself feel better. I hope you're all happy!

It'll teach your son a valuable lesson about keeping a state of the art rig at all times. He'll never make the same mistakes his father did, and in the end, that's all we can ever hope to pass on to our children.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I don't see a workstation thread anymore

Anyone have a rec on a good cushy desk chair for under 200?

My current chair is like 6 years old and I'm basically sitting on a metal plate at this point

I think the bungie cord chairs are popular here and they run about $200 before shipping. I don't know if this is the same model but it'll give you an idea anyways http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/componentDesks/deskChairs?productId=10028229&green=f1b5fe04-2a26-4644-a3d1-a627703e7bee

If you could save or budget for a few weeks and bring your budget into the $400-600 range you can get some amazing deals on used/reconditioned high-end ergonomic chairs from a local office furnishing or interiors store. I was able to get a brand new Steelcase Leap v2 (company that ordered it didn't like the color so it was brand new) for a little over $600, and while that is a lot of money it's also some of the best money I've ever spent. I had a decent mesh ergonomic chair from some Office Max brand and while it was comfortable it's doesn't remotely compare to the Leap. If you spend of a lot of time in front of a computer I personally think having a really comfortable chair is just as important or worth the same amount of consideration as we put into choosing the parts we put into our computers. I have to admit I went into the store knowing I wanted a Leap, but I also sat in some other chairs in the $400-500 range that were very comfortable, but to me nothing compared to the Leap.

Yes, I'm recommending you spent a silly amount of money on a desk chair, but if you spend a lot of time in front of your computer it's well worth the money.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Those bungee chairs are fantastic. I use the Container Store one and love it. I need to get another one because my wife keeps stealing it. So much better than most any other traditional-style office chair in the sub-$200 price range.

edited March 2012
    Oh man, my son is in for a world of hurt. I sit on a slightly cushioned folding chair. Poor little guy's going to be so confused.

TheCanMan on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I run a 27" 1080p as my primary and a 21" 1680x1050 as my secondary (it was my old monitor)...you need to get with it Can...21" sub-1080p monitors as your primary are so passe now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    And Bear, that's a lot of pixels. I'm slightly jealous.

I'll be more jealous when I see your water cooled setup.

Well the fedex lady flagged me down as I was driving to work to sign for a package from frozen cpu, so perhaps I will have water this very weekend

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    Well the fedex lady flagged me down as I was driving to work to sign for a package from frozen cpu, so perhaps I will have water this very weekend

The anticipation is building.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Alrighty, birthday time, which means money time.
    I think I asked this a month or two ago, but what is the best AM3+ processor for around $150?
    I want to finally complete my computer see. Got everything besides the CPU.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm debating if it's a chair or a monitor I need to get next.

I only have one of each and two computers to split between them.

Amazing how everything in technology gets cheaper except medicine and LCD monitors.

Jasconius wrote: »
    I'm debating if it's a chair or a monitor I need to get next.

I only have one of each and two computers to split between them.

Amazing how everything in technology gets cheaper except medicine and LCD monitors.

Get a big enough monitor that you'll be able to sit on the empty box.

Two birds, one stone.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Actually LCD monitors have come way down in price. You can get a 27", halfway decent, 1080p LCD for 300-400 bucks. That's a steal compared to what they used to be a few years ago. Sure, if you want a super high end one with a top grade panel and graphics professional color reproduction, you're looking at spending a mint...but as someone who has a budget Asus 27", I can tell you they are perfectly fine for 99% of tasks not requiring 100% perfect color repro and larger than 1080p resolutions.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Alrighty, birthday time, which means money time.
    I think I asked this a month or two ago, but what is the best AM3+ processor for around $150?
    I want to finally complete my computer see. Got everything besides the CPU.

I think your best option would be the fastest black ed. Phenom II x4 and a Coolermaster Hyper 212+. The PII x4 975 and the 212+ is just a bit over your budget.

Here's a pretty good article to let you know what kind of performance to expect. It doesn't include the 975, but it does have the 980 with is only 100MHz faster.

gonna second the quad core phenomII. Get a decent overclock on em and they still do a darn good job

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So I have my old 21" Ultrasharp monitor just laying around and I intended to sell it but I have no idea how much to ask for it (Im like 90% sure its the 2005fpw), but then I got to thinking, it could be nice to have an additional monitor to throw shit on when Im fucking around playing games. It would definitely make it easier to see whos talking on Vent. But I have a GTX 570, and apparently it wont enter its idle state if you have two monitors running different resolutions hooked up to it.

So, since Ive been thinking about grabbing another 570 (for basically no reason at all, other than I intended to do so eventually when I built the thing), would running a SLI setup fix the no idle thing?

We should see a price drop on the 5xx line when Nvidia ships its new cards right?

We Should see a price drop, but since amd's new stuff is expensive nvidia might just price the higher end cards to match and leave the 500 roughly where they are. The used market will probably be good around then though.

I don't know enough about sli to answer the idle question though

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Ok. So I think I'm gonna order the px5 headset...if it doesn't sound good I can return them if I buy amazon.

Question. Seems like if I get a Bluetooth dongle for pc, then I can use it for my pc. Then if I get an optical splitter I can plug optical from pc+ps3 into it.

Only hesitation is sound quality....Also are optical splitters ok? Maintain signal clarity? Sound quality IS rather important to me...

On sound quality I'd be willing to check out a wired digital surround headset if it's easy enough to switch between pc/ps3. Can't seem to find one =(

bobsbarricades on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    What about this one? It's cheaper, but I just want to know. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996

edited March 2012
    Last test I saw clock for clock the phenom IIs were still better for running games. Bulldozer just doesn't have the IPC. You could probably OC that chip higher than a quad core phenom II, but you'd also end up pulling a bunch more power most likely since it's a fairly inefficient architecture.

Real world they'll both get the job done but for a pure gaming machine I'd prefer a black edition phenom II, personally.

edit: I guess it depends on just how much cheaper an fx4100 is than whatever the cheapest pIIbe, because if you can really snag one on the cheap they aren't horrible at all, they just tend to cost more than their performance warrants.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    What about this one? It's cheaper, but I just want to know. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996

Because of the way AMD chose to label "cores" in their FX series chips, there's really only 2 and a half cores in that chip compared to the "true" quad core TheCanMan mentioned. You'd see better performance out of one of the older Phenom II Blacks, particularly with some overclocking. If you can't (or don't want to) spring for the 975, go with a 965 or 955 BE, they're all essentially the same chip except for (maybe) cache size and clock speed, and the latter can be made up for with some judicious OCing.

Alecthar on
    Honestly if overclocking doesn't scare you I'd say just get a 955BE, and clock it up.

It's one of the better bang for buck chips available if you push it a bit.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    In a couple weeks, I'll probably be able to replace my 4-year-old gaming PC that died on me back in January.

I figured I'd run this build by you guys to see if there are any modifications I could make (i.e. parts that are strictly better for around the same price).

Case = Corsair Carbide 500R
    CPU = Core i3-2100
    Mobo = Asrock P67 Extreme4
    GPU = Sapphire Radeon HD 6850
    RAM = 8GBs of G.Skill Ripjaw
    PSU = Corsair HX650

With the Blu-ray drive, Windows 7, and the USB wifi adapter I'll need, the total comes to just under $912.

While I'm planning my budget with about $950 in mind, it would be great if I could shave off $50 to $100; but only if I'm not sacrificing much in the way of gaming performance. Otherwise I'll just stick with the current price.

The most obvious price cut would be with the case, but I'm a little reluctant to do that. I've had cheap cases before, and I've always regretted not having the more user-friendly features that the $100+ cases provide.

IKknkhU.gif
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Got my SSD in the mail. Should I do a fresh install of windows or can I pare down my hard drive partition to under 128 GB and transfer?

steam_sig.png
    Stilts are you looking to crossfire later? If not you can easily drop down to a lower wattage PSU for that system, it's gonna sip watts.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.