As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Butterball [chat]

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Its like every few acres of the rainforest we destroy we lose a ton of new medicines. I forgot the exact numbers but it is pretty nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I find difficult to care about a plant going extinct. Like the corpse flower. Fine with that going bye bye

It's idiotic because a huge number of pharmaceuticals end up being extracted or principally derived from plant compounds. Chemical synthesis is not so advanced that we can make do without the leg up we get from nature doing 95% of the work for us.

Well obviously if it has a benefit that's different but if it's the dodo of the flora world then iono

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I find difficult to care about a plant going extinct. Like the corpse flower. Fine with that going bye bye

Plants form a very important part of the food web and plants going extinct often fucks over a bunch of animals.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

I would find it difficult to care if you went extinct.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    So the Baker's Larkspur plant may actually survive after all. After having it's entire population reduced from 100 plants to 5 plants by a road crew in the space of an hour in 2005. Apparently the Berkeley Botanical Gardens have been desperately cultivating it from seeds collected from the remaining 5, and attempted a planting near one of the reservoirs in Marin County a couple years ago. I can't find any information online as to whether those plants took hold or not though.

I remember reading the article after the incident in 2005 and it just made me so furious. It's spelled out right in the listing that the species is endangered in part due to road work.

Regina don't you know that the Earth is clearly too big for humans to have any kind of significant impact on it?

That's the global warming argument.

I think the argument for any particular endangered species is "So?"

And that's when I have to restrain myself from stabbing them in the face.

Call me a crazy eco nut whack job, but I don't believe that a human life is worth the life of an entire species. There are lots and lots of people. From an ecological standpoint any given human, any given 50,000 humans is worthless. If we have to take yer jerbs to save a species, do it. If you complain too much, you can be shot. The world will not miss a few loggers.

if 50000 humans are worthless than 50000 of any kind of life is worthless.

Life in general isn't worth much. But it tries its best to keep going no matter how hard we or the universe try to knock it out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I would find it difficult to care if you went extinct.

You mean, like...

Humans?

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Holy shit

starting Saturday I have near non-stop shooting for 5 days

fffffffffffuuuuuuuck me

Welcome to film school, newfish!

Did you have to do Production Binders?

Pretty much on every project, yeah.

Dunadan019 wrote: »
    So the Baker's Larkspur plant may actually survive after all. After having it's entire population reduced from 100 plants to 5 plants by a road crew in the space of an hour in 2005. Apparently the Berkeley Botanical Gardens have been desperately cultivating it from seeds collected from the remaining 5, and attempted a planting near one of the reservoirs in Marin County a couple years ago. I can't find any information online as to whether those plants took hold or not though.

I remember reading the article after the incident in 2005 and it just made me so furious. It's spelled out right in the listing that the species is endangered in part due to road work.

Regina don't you know that the Earth is clearly too big for humans to have any kind of significant impact on it?

Call me a crazy eco nut whack job, but I don't believe that a human life is worth the life of an entire species. There are lots and lots of people. From an ecological standpoint any given human, any given 50,000 humans is worthless. If we have to take yer jerbs to save a species, do it. If you complain too much, you can be shot. The world will not miss a few loggers.

If the total population is 6 billion plus, then 50k is totally worthless. That goes for fish, plants, people etc.

The sad truth is that humanities contribution to biodiversity is a mass extinction event.

Mazzyx wrote:
    Life in general isn't worth much. But it tries its best to keep going no matter how hard we or the universe try to knock it out.

well that is the whole point of life.

to live as long as possible.

Mazzyx wrote:

I thought it was to have as many surviving offspring as possible.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    I hate all words that end in "illa" :*(

Godzilla hates you too.

And vanilla says to go fuck yourself.

Vanilla has been the prime offender since the transition.

"somethingsomethingsomethingvanillasuckssomething" WHAT WAZILLA WHO SAID WAZIL... oh...

Psn:wazukki
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Holy shit

fffffffffffuuuuuuuck me

They're the worst :(

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
    Couscous wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

the only reason to have offspring is to give a species more time to learn how to live forever.

I mean, if it makes you guys feel any better, a human life is still worth more than an ants life.

Or a mosquito.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

If the total population is 6 billion plus, then 50k is totally worthless. That goes for fish, plants, people etc.

The sad truth is that humanities contribution to biodiversity is a mass extinction event.

Whatever bro, sometimes we do phage library screening.

Generate fuck tons of biodiversity when we do that.

I mean, in like a technical sense.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

It's idiotic because a huge number of pharmaceuticals end up being extracted or principally derived from plant compounds. Chemical synthesis is not so advanced that we can make do without the leg up we get from nature doing 95% of the work for us.

Well obviously if it has a benefit that's different but if it's the dodo of the flora world then iono

The Dodo wasn't stupid though, nor poorly adapted to it's environment - it was just annihilated by European explorers. The same thing would've happened to Whales, Seals and Penguins in the Antarctic and around the world had we not banned hunting them.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    And don't get me started on "The Thrilla in Manilla"

Psn:wazukki
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Anime X-men

Pros: Boobs are ridiculously big

Cons: Eww anime

Dunadan019 wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

Yup, live as long as possible. Spread your genetics. Keep the species going. And be lucky enough something doesn't come along and wipe you out in one giant swoop.

Because the universe has a hell of a diverse set of ways to blow the living shit out of all life. Some exciting like a super nova or an asteroid others boring like just having a planets atmosphere burn off or float away due to a lack of gravity.

But life also keeps trying and trying no matter how often the universe tries to cleanse it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Holy shit

fffffffffffuuuuuuuck me

They're the worst :(

I think they're a thing you either get used to, or get good at faking. I was very much in the latter camp.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    mosquitos are terrible and no one would miss them

The Dodo wasn't stupid though, nor poorly adapted to it's environment - it was just annihilated by European explorers. The same thing would've happened to Whales, Seals and Penguins in the Antarctic and around the world had we not banned hunting them.
    Or the various species of turtles that the sailors used to collect, stack them, and then kill them when they needed food.

The giant assholes would be missed.
    Tortoises share a mutualistic relationship with some species of Galápagos finch and mockingbirds. Small groups of finches initiate the process by hopping on the ground in an exaggerated fashion facing the tortoise. The tortoise signals it is ready by rising up and extending its neck and legs, enabling the birds to reach otherwise inaccessible spots on the tortoise's body such as the neck, rear legs, cloacal opening, and skin between plastron and carapace. The birds benefit from the food source and the tortoises get rid of irritating ectoparasites.[81]

Some tortoises have been observed to insidiously exploit this mutualistic relationship. After rising and extending its limbs, the bird may go beneath the tortoise to investigate, whereupon suddenly the tortoise withdraws its limbs to drop flat and kill the bird. It then steps back to eat the bird, presumably to supplement its diet with protein.[82]

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    who wants to spot being depressing and play some Civ5?

@winky and @Nova_C we have unfinished business.

Though I would also be down for a new game.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

they are important for pollination and other stuff, dog

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I would happily wipe out a species or two to cure a human disease

Also my post made the universe sound like it actually has personality. It doesn't. It just does these things with no intent.

u7stthr17eud.png

Where did my dog go?

SKIPPY! :x

Couscous wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

the only reason to have offspring is to give a species more time to learn how to live forever.
    But then the genes can't be reproduced using the body.

Where did my dog go?

sorry!

some aliens came and said they'd eradicate smallpox if I traded them all of earth's dogs!

biodiversity means fuckall.
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

Yup, live as long as possible. Spread your genetics. Keep the species going. And be lucky enough something doesn't come along and wipe you out in one giant swoop.

Because the universe has a hell of a diverse set of ways to blow the living shit out of all life. Some exciting like a super nova or an asteroid others boring like just having a planets atmosphere burn off or float away due to a lack of gravity.

But life also keeps trying and trying no matter how often the universe tries to cleanse it.

no, I mean the other way around.

the universe has life because it wants to find a way to prolong its own existence.

biodiversity means fuckall.
    Except for shitloads of benefits.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »

quit trollin

Nerdgasmic wrote:

Also spreading Malaria, Dengue and a whole host of infections. Mosquitoes are pretty much ass hole carriers of disease. Also tough as fuck, we have tried wiping them out for the last 60 years and have failed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    awesomest minecraft 1.2 world generation seed: "lost"

you start in a jungle tree right next to a mushroom island chain

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

Where did my dog go?

sorry!

some aliens came and said they'd eradicate smallpox if I traded them all of earth's dogs!

good thing we still have cats 8-)

Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also my post made the universe sound like it actually has personality. It doesn't. It just does these things with no intent.

in the same way that natural selection works.

edited March 2012

It was also coevolved with a species of tree that no longer reproduces on its own, without the dodo to eat it's nuts and partially digest it's seeds.

DOUBLE WHAMMY

We win at killing off other species.

We are the best!

Regina Fong on

Where did my dog go?

sorry!

The fuck?

Smallpox? Not Largepox? Not even Grandepox?

My doggy was so cute.

your firearms are too short to box with god

This discussion has been closed.