As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Butterball [chat]

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Anime X-men

Pros: Boobs are ridiculously big

Cons: Eww anime

They do a mean opening, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfjAbXrvkFw

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I would happily wipe out a species or two to cure a human disease

Where did my dog go?

SKIPPY! :x

sorry!

some aliens came and said they'd eradicate smallpox if I traded them all of earth's dogs!

So they blew up the lab in Russia and the CDC? Because those are the only two places with smallpox in the world.

That was a bad deal Skippy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    The attitude Kagera has, by the way, is the reason the Earth is going to shit. Not Kagera personally mind you, but people like him.

It's extremely unfair and sad that it's future generations who will suffer due to climate change and loss of biodiversity, and not the people of the present day who didn't give a shit.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I would happily wipe out a species or two to cure a human disease

Where did my dog go?

SKIPPY! :x

sorry!

some aliens came and said they'd eradicate smallpox if I traded them all of earth's dogs!

The fuck?

Smallpox? Not Largepox? Not even Grandepox?

My doggy was so cute.

(the joke is that smallpox has already been eradicated

those aliens swindled me!)

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Life in general isn't worth much. But it tries its best to keep going no matter how hard we or the universe try to knock it out.

well that is the whole point of life.

to live as long as possible.

I thought it was to have as many surviving offspring as possible.

That's actually inaccurate, Couscous, quantity of surviving offspring isn't necessarily better than having the survivingest offspring. Really a better measure might be how many offspring your offspring have and how many offspring your offspring's offspring have and so on so forth, but even that doesn't account for the fact that technically you're evolutionarily successful if you have one offspring that is like totally indestructible and it has one offspring that is totally indestructible. Or hell, you could reel that back to just surviving infinitely, because if you can do that you're as effective as any replicator at passing your genetic information on into the future.

But the real answer is that there actually isn't a "point" to life. We talk about genes metaphorically like they're intentional and goal-oriented but they are oblivious to the whole evolutionary fitness thing too. It is literally a case of "shit happens because it was most likely" or in some cases not even the most likely, so it could probably be reduced to "shit happens".

oh mazzy

*shakes head*

give me some credit

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    So the Baker's Larkspur plant may actually survive after all. After having it's entire population reduced from 100 plants to 5 plants by a road crew in the space of an hour in 2005. Apparently the Berkeley Botanical Gardens have been desperately cultivating it from seeds collected from the remaining 5, and attempted a planting near one of the reservoirs in Marin County a couple years ago. I can't find any information online as to whether those plants took hold or not though.

I remember reading the article after the incident in 2005 and it just made me so furious. It's spelled out right in the listing that the species is endangered in part due to road work.

Wikipedia says that it was almost eliminated by road crews twice.

You'd think they would have flagged the area and warned future crews or something.

I would not be surprised if aliens found that the only valuable thing on earth was our dogs.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I wanted to make a starbucks cup size joke and didn't care about your joke Skippy.

I mean, you just killed my dog, you had it coming.

I would not be surprised if aliens found that the only valuable thing on earth was our dogs.

*alien zooms by planet

scanner beeps frantically

alien enhances image

OH SHIT THAT PUPPY IS CUTE SCHEDULE THIS ROCK FOR ASSIMILATION*

The attitude Kagera has, by the way, is the reason the Earth is going to shit. Not Kagera personally mind you, but people like him.

It's extremely unfair and sad that it's future generations who will suffer due to climate change and loss of biodiversity, and not the people of the present day who didn't give a shit.

Actually over simplification of the actual issues with biodiversity, extinctions and damage to the planet.

Lets say the Developed world decided to go green and magically did. That leaves the majority of the world who hasn't. There are no magic bullets. Hell even with the improvements in the world in the recent 50 years in development indexes convincing people to change how they act is near impossible when it comes to vaccines in many areas.

Also Kagera is trolling you.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    who wants to spot being depressing and play some Civ5?

@winky and @Nova_C we have unfinished business.

Though I would also be down for a new game.

I have to see if I have Civ5 installed on this computer, but if so I am down.

I wanted to make a starbucks cup size joke and didn't care about your joke Skippy.

I mean, you just killed my dog, you had it coming.

I'm just the dealmaker

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Our dogs are pretty good.

6893217927_de520ed987.jpg

oh mazzy

*shakes head*

give me some credit

I should, you do have the dulcet tones of an NPR radio personality.

u7stthr17eud.png
    It's all good Skippy.

That dog shed like a mofo.

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I think I'll watch dexter and drink smore.

Mazzyx wrote: »
    oh mazzy

*shakes head*

give me some credit

I should, you do have the dulcet tones of an NPR radio personality.

I am skippy flatow, and this is science chat

mrflippy wrote: »
    So the Baker's Larkspur plant may actually survive after all. After having it's entire population reduced from 100 plants to 5 plants by a road crew in the space of an hour in 2005. Apparently the Berkeley Botanical Gardens have been desperately cultivating it from seeds collected from the remaining 5, and attempted a planting near one of the reservoirs in Marin County a couple years ago. I can't find any information online as to whether those plants took hold or not though.

I remember reading the article after the incident in 2005 and it just made me so furious. It's spelled out right in the listing that the species is endangered in part due to road work.

Wikipedia says that it was almost eliminated by road crews twice.

You'd think they would have flagged the area and warned future crews or something.

It's on a somewhat steep slope that is directly alongside the road. It's just a terrible spot.

It's actually amazing that it's the last spot. It had a substantial range in Northern California at one point in the past. Yet somehow, it was wiped out everywhere except one amazingly shitty location.

edited March 2012

Actually over simplification of the actual issues with biodiversity, extinctions and damage to the planet.

Lets say the Developed world decided to go green and magically did. That leaves the majority of the world who hasn't. There are no magic bullets. Hell even with the improvements in the world in the recent 50 years in development indexes convincing people to change how they act is near impossible when it comes to vaccines in many areas.

If Kagera is merely trolling me, he should be aware that he trolls me just like this often enough that my opinion of him is that he is... heh.

Lets just say that I don't care for him.

-edit-

Oh also, the apologist stance of "We can't possibly fix these problems so lets just not bother." is also awful. It's the last resort of the so-called climate change "skeptics" when they are losing a debate badly.

"Oh well then clearly it's so bad that there's nothing we can do to fix it so why change."

Regina Fong on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

wFXxy.jpg

I read or heard a story once about a super old tree

the oldest tree in the world maybe?

and it was like out in the middle of the desert with no other trees around it

and then someone crashed their car into it

6893217927_de520ed987.jpg

Can't wait for Obama to try and take muh Gunz. Woof.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

If Kagera is merely trolling me, he should be aware that he trolls me just like this often enough that my opinion of him is that he is... heh.

That is a very nice compliment.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I am not up to date on my crude sex lingo. What does 'pushing rope' mean?

emnmnme wrote:

Bet it has something to do with a tape worm.

u7stthr17eud.png
    emnmnme wrote: »

Limp dick.

I...I assume.
    <.< >.>

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I read or heard a story once about a super old tree

the oldest tree in the world maybe?

and it was like out in the middle of the desert with no other trees around it

and then someone crashed their car into it
    Not the oldest but one of the most remote.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ténéré
    The desert is also known for the celebrated Tree of Ténéré, once thought to be among the most remote in the world. Situated by the last well before entering the Grand Erg du Bilma on the way to Fachi, salt caravans relied on the tree as a landmark until it was allegedly knocked down by a truck driver in 1973. It was replaced by a metal sculpture and the remains are enshrined at the museum in Niamey (capital of Niger). New trees were planted but, because of the very low water table (the adjacent well is some 40m deep), irregular watering by passing travellers saw them fail to survive. Despite this unfortunate mishap, the tree is still often indicated on maps of the region as a notable landmark, as is the less well known Arbre Perdu (Lost Tree) situated in the true Tenere to the north, east of Chirfa.

edited March 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »

Wouldn't you rather place the appropriate ad on craigslist and find out the hard way?

Robos A Go Go on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

aRkpc.gif
    Sarksus wrote: »

That is a very nice compliment.

Oh you're so clever.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    This represents my current state of mind:

ohnoes.gif

aRkpc.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    man

caylus is complicated

poor, poor Ténéré