As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten Discussion] Elizabeth added to P4A; P4's cast is already dead.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Didn't they already say that she was going to be playable in the console version only anyways?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    If you can peel your eyes away from the action at the right moments, you may notice a black cat wandering around the stage. Sound familiar? :wink:

DENY IT

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'm just going to go ahead and say it:

Mitsuru is fucking hot.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I am really hyped about P4U...especially since they keep nerfing my favorite characters in BB.

• Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Join the club Drag.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Back to Devil Survivor 2 again. Day 2's big boss fight was surprisingly easy. Maybe because all my characters were fairly leveled? Whatever the reason, it had some fairly simple attacks, and event he special objective wasn't that troubling: all you had to do was beat the boss before a certain spawned enemy reached its destination... although you could just beat up on the spawned enemies for easy EXP, but hey, a massive AoE attack from the boss is hard to deal with.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Think we could keep more DS2 stuff in spoilers? I mean, just a day or two old. I'm playing through it right now, too.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Spoilers, DS 2 is ballin. Way better than OG. Still haven't touched Overclocked.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSA3az7KDXk

Still really early but it seems that most BnBs are not overly long while still dealing ok damage, which would be a HUGE improvement over blazblue.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Spoilers, DS 2 is ballin. Way better than OG. Still haven't touched Overclocked.

I'm not sure I agree... yet.
    So far (though I'm not very far: just on (the first?) Monday), Devil Survivor 2 doesn't quite have the pervading sense of hopelessness and doom that Devil Survivor 1 had.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Io isn't Yuzu 2.0 and Daichi is actually pretty fun.

Too bad the 'wacky' music is so poor, though.

• Options
    edited March 2012

So far (though I'm not very far: just on (the first?) Monday), Devil Survivor 2 doesn't quite have the pervading sense of hopelessness and doom that Devil Survivor 1 had.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Io isn't Yuzu 2.0 and Daichi is actually pretty fun.

Have to disagree regarding the music. It's not original, but it definitely gets you by as well as any other SMT game. The Boss music however, oh hell yes it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ePA3C_x8c&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL2C16A67DC7C505E4

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Have to disagree regarding the music. It's not original, but it definitely gets you by as well as any other SMT game. The Boss music however, oh hell yes it's awesome.

Oh, I agree. For the most part. There's just one track so far that I don't like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFLvqLk9A2Q

• Options
    For whatever reason I prefer the character design in DS2 to DS1, though I was someone who generally liked the 45 degree angled up flying tits.

• Options

Oh, I agree. For the most part. There's just one track so far that I don't like.

*video*

Oh, c'mon! That's like Daichi and Joe's theme!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    I'll admit, I got a chuckle out of this:
    cLbg3.jpg

• Options
    I'll admit, I got a chuckle out of this:
    cLbg3.jpg

You should wait until the beginning of Day 3. You get to make a female character extremely flustered with your teasing.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options

What is OG?

So far Overclocked is better, although some of the menus are nicer in this one. I really, really miss the voice acting already. As I said, the music is nowhere near as ludicrous, not enough guitar solos for me. Some of the system stuff that seems to be missing from the first game is probably just not unlocked yet. I'll have to give it a day or two.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The original gangster. SMT:Devil Survivor.

• Options
    Ahh. Well I can understand not being able to fit the voices on the DS. Would have been nice to just make it a 3DS game, but Atlus loves to pump out those re-releases...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Slouching toward Bananaland.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling this game is going to take a drastic turn for crazy town. It's less 'Tokyo is screwed' and more 'the entire world is screwed' so far. (Day 2)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Oh god.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh my

That is the best thing

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Ahh. Well I can understand not being able to fit the voices on the DS. Would have been nice to just make it a 3DS game, but Atlus loves to pump out those re-releases...

Been talked about before, but Devil Survivor 2 was planned way before Overclocked, and tons of OC's skills and newer mechanics were borrowed from DeSu2. Overclocked was them "testing the waters" for the 3DS.

On another note, my Phys MC is kicking ass now. I feel more like Atsuro after OC came out, what with the newer Phys skills and all. The sheer amount of Phys attacks also means I can now have two Phys hitters on the field without worrying; at least until I come across the Phys resistant enemies, but that's what Pierce was made for.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    PunkBoy wrote: »

It..It's... BEAUTIFUL

• Options
    Wait a sec, that guy's from PA. (setrajonas)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to give this series a shot for a while, but what's the best place to start? Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, The PSP port of Persona, Persona 3, or something else?

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army sounds really interesting, but used prices are a bit ludicrous.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Strange Journey.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I've been meaning to give this series a shot for a while, but what's the best place to start? Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, The PSP port of Persona, Persona 3, or something else?

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army sounds really interesting, but used prices are a bit ludicrous.

It all comes down to your tastes in the end, really. Almost all Megaten games are great, but they are in ways that are very different.

Imo Nocturne is the best in the series but I think I was able to appreciate it more since I was able to 'warm up' with other games. I'd say that P3/P4 are the most accessible, but keep in mind that they aren't very representative of the series as a whole. They're pretty much a completely separate series by now(hell, even Atlus USA has dropped the Shin Megami Tensei title for P4 Arena), but they were the gateway series for me, at least.

EVOL on
  • Options
    Nocturne is good, but it is definitely not the game to start out with. It's a game where if you're not careful you can really screw up your main character and make it nearly impossible to win the game. It's also pretty damn hard.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Nocturne is best played on Hard. It will force you to learn the battle and fusion systems as you break enemies over your knees and express maniacal laughter.

Or you don't learn the system and get crushed with game over after game over.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Unaware if this has been mentioned yet, but apparently Atlus has hidden a nice little copy protection gem inside Devil Survivor 2.

There's an event that is supposed to take place that makes the first boss at the end of the first day killable. Apparently in a pirated copy, that event doesn't take place, so your group will get unceremoniously stomped by the (damage immune, your level +~15) boss. So apparently people posting on forums asking why they can't hurt the first boss are dead giveaways.

I love Atlus.

• Options
    That's brilliant. I love stuff like that.

Oh yeah, and the final boss of P4A's been revealed, at least Arcade Edition.

Spoilers obviously.
    Sadly, not Izanami or Adachi.

It's Shadow Labrys.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Is there one standard game to start with?

I mean, the series as it were is so fractured anyways. You have real time with rasputin, ffx clonery with dickgirls, popular dating sims, gravity defying tits SRPGs and old school dungeon crawls. Now they'll be people who glom on to the series with an Arc fighting game, and years back we had people introduced via Pokémon clone and or fantasy RPG spinoff.

• Options
    If you want a proper SMT experience, and don't mind the thrill of death, start with Nocturne.

If you want a gradual introduction, and a great experience in its own right, I'd say Persona 3(FES).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I started with P4. Good enough place to start, but it's still a fair and moderately challenging game. Then maybe go with P3FES, where you'll definitely miss being able to control your allies in combat. THEN go with Nocturne, maybe after playing P3FES on Hard.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    Pfft compared to Nocturne or SJ the only hard thing in the modern Persona games is getting all those social links to work out.

Going from Persona on any difficulty to a real game is like going from Tee Ball to the pros.

• Options
    Elizabeth comes to mind. Only thing more terrifying than fighting her is Hitoshura.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Man P3 and 4 aren't THAT easy. They're challenging enough to make you have to think about what you're doing. Honestly I think they hit the perfect balance between challenge and fun.