As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transformers- IDW Reboot Zone

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    RID#2 out tomorrow, have a preview today!
    http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-robots-in-disguise-2-seven-page-preview/24075/
    Goddamn it Bumblebee. Just, goddammit. I know that it's Starscream, but still.
    also, the crew of the Lost Light is listed here:
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Lost_Light
    my main man Smokescreen is on the crew! :D

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So I read second issue of More Than Meets the Eye and thought I recognized Cosmos, Huffer, Gears, Trailbreaker, and Blaster in the crowd. So what is Skids deal in the comic? Was he included in any previous IDW comic series before? When I read the first issue of MTMtE I really didn't like the art style, but it is beginning to grow on me.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote:
    So I read second issue of More Than Meets the Eye and thought I recognized Cosmos, Huffer, Gears, Trailbreaker, and Blaster in the crowd. So what is Skids deal in the comic? Was he included in any previous IDW comic series before? When I read the first issue of MTMtE I really didn't like the art style, but it is beginning to grow on me.
    You totally did see all those dudes, which is great. I can't wait to see everyone interact.

Skids has not been in any previous IDW comic series before; in fact, he's been in hardly anything. Roberts is taking a chance to give a new characterization to someone who's had little before this. But, Skids is still a theoretician, so he isn't just wiping over the little characterization he had left. Looks like he's a dude that's been long thought dead in-universe.

also, the first issue was drawn by Nick Roche in a slightly less realistic style than he normally does, while the second issue onward is drawn by Alex Milne imitating Roche.

• Options
    I loved how they drew Cosmos really huge in the group. Almost like a few of the Autobots could board him when he was converted into his vehicle mode. After looking over the list you linked I hope that some of these Autobots get some time in the light (and not just some random Autobot soldier in the back).

Skids was the least impressive Transformer toy in my mind when I was a kid. It was one of the few toys that both my brother and I got so we both sort of just put him off as a crappy Transformer (not to mention you never saw him in the cartoon). Funny that the wiki page says that he was the rarest mass produced toy, guess I shouldn't have bashed him around a lot when I was a kid.

Ah ok, so that explains why the art style changed a bit between the first one and second.

Thanks to this comic though, I'm now intrigued to get the Last Stand of the Wreckers to find out why Whirl is considered a nut job.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Whirl is only mentioned a tiny bit in the short story Bullets in the Wreckers trade and hardcover, and shown a bit briefly in some flashbacks in Wreckers
    he's also in two issues of the last ongoing, issues 22 and 23, and is indirectly the cause of the Great War.

there isn't much of Whirl. most of his psychopathy in the fiction is a recent development based on his toy bio being a guy who acts crazy, and it's likely to be explored in the ongoing.

basically, everything you have questions about so far, @Betsuni, is stuff that's being introduced as new plot points and is going to be expanded in the future

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Ahhhh ok, thought I was in the dark and just needed to read the other IDW stuff to catch up. The writers are doing a great job with the Transformers universe leaving lots of questions with each character.

Edit: I just realized who Tailgate is by clicking on the wiki page... Forgot about him as a toy.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    oh yeah, for sure. i'm really happy with how the direction of the universe is going, and how well the characters are being written. but yeah, if any older comics were essential, I would be the first to let you guys know :D
    i just really love Wreckers and will recommend it everywhere because it's written so well! same creative team as MTMTE #1, really great and serious stuff, while still being funny.

• Options
    I will have to check it out one of these days. This thread has done a great job pulling me back into the IDW TF universe.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    damn it. finished final fantasy so I decided to knock War for Cybertron off my backlog. Now I want all the transformers things! Just in time for the much talked about here Last stand of the wreckers to get a rerelease. Also what book is the start of the current status quo?

• Options
    @initiatefailure
    You'll want to track down The Death of Optimus Prime first, and then find the two series published by IDW, More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise

the older titles in the IDW continuity are okay, but not as fantastic as these

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    By the way, most comic shops will pull titles for you on a monthly basis. They all have their own stipulations, but it could be a good way to ensure you get these books if you have trouble finding them.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is Death of Optimus Prime included in one of the "Transformers: The IDW Collection" compilation books?

• Options
    Not yet
    The idw collections aren't current, the next volume has stuff from 2010

• Options
    Today IDW Publishing released their hard cover edition of Last Stand Of The Wreckers. We previously reported what the additional extras in this collection were to be, but did not know exactly what each extra was. This newsie ran out first thing to pick this collection up and here is a detailed list of the extras and what they are:
    cover art gallery
    "Out of Bullets" - A commentary from James Roberts on the prose story "Bullets"
    "Escape" A two page comic drawn and written by Nick Roche that features Guzzle and Impactor. Takes place after Last Stand.
    "Zero Point" A brand new prose story from James Roberts that features Roadbuster and Springer. Takes place after Last Stand.

Autopedia entries - Rotorstorm, Pyro, Overlord, Snare, Ironfist, Guzzle, and Impactor
    "Fisitron's Facts" - Little known facts about Last Stand of The Wreckers, included with first Trade paper back
    pin-ups, promo art, guest art Marcelo Matere, Livio Rimondelli, Josh Burcham and more all contribute.
    Script extracts - A "deleted scenes" from Last Stand
    First Draft - A look at what the very first version of Last Stand of The Wreckers that Nick Roche wrote before James Roberts came on board. There were five revisions and rewrites of the book. Excellent stuff with Kup and Guzzle in this.
    "Squadron X" - A detailed look at each of the members and their previous appearances in Transformers fiction
    "In Word and Deed" - A one page comic written and drawn by Nick Roche featuring Verity. Takes place after Last Stand.
    FUCK

YES

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Everything I've seen online of RID and MTMTE has been awesome. So, are there TPBs of the important stuff leading up to them? Is the art/writing as good?

I loved the US Marvel G1 comics, and the excerpts of the new books I've read blow the best of that series out of the water.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    nope! no TPBs that you need to read, just the one shot Death of Optimus Prime, cowritten by the RID and MTMTE authors and drawn by Nick Roche, which will be in the More Than Meets the Eye trade this summer. if you want to look at older stuff, really the most I would DEFINITELY recommend is the Last Stand of the Wreckers trade

Antimatter on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I took you up on all your Death of Optimus Prime recommendations yesterday and I loved it. As a child of the 80s cartoons & toys, it's amazing to discover that those kinds of stories/characters are still being told. I even happened to have just watched the cartoon episode where the Aerialbots go back in time to see Prime's birth, so the references in the comic were even more cool to see.

I'm now ordering the first IDW compilation to see if I like the older comics as much as these new ones--even half as much would be great.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the Devil's Due gi joe vs the transformers comics were the best

very playful and action packed

Yep, these were the ones I was thinking of. Thanks, mate - going to have to track them down again :).

• Options
    Are RID and MTMTE available digitally? I couldn't find them in the Apple app store.

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Are RID and MTMTE available digitally? I couldn't find them in the Apple app store.

I buy them from Comixology, which you can apparently download to your iDevice.

• Options

I buy them from Comixology, which you can apparently download to your iDevice.

:^:

• Options
    Also noticed that if you wait till the next issue comes out it goes for $1.99 instead of the stand price.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Is the money iTunes money, or separate? I got some iTunes money for my birthday, and would like to use some of that if possible.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    yeah if you buy on your iDevice, it'll come out of itunes money (I frequently take advantage of 50 dollar itunes card that are on sale for $40 for comics)

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Got both #1 issues via IDW app. So good. I love the Prowl/Bumblebee dynamic. Hell, I just love Prowl. What's his relationship with Chromedome?

I was happy to see that both books featured the same general art style. It really gives them a sense of overall continuity. Does that continue with Milne coming on board?

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Milne appears to have made an effort to draw similarly to Roche, and he does a great job of it.

• Options
    Hell, I just love Prowl. What's his relationship with Chromedome?

we don't know yet!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Hell, I just love Prowl. What's his relationship with Chromedome?

we don't know yet!

Ah. Well, at least I didn't miss anything there. :^:

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    oh man oh man oh man
    Milne posted a preview panel from MTMTE #3 (out this week)
    1331508603_TF_MTMTE_03_sample.jpg
    Cyclonus and Tailgate talking to each other! This is awesome because Tailgate was supposed to be on Cyclonus's ship 4 million years ago, and they almost certainly know each other.
    in addition, Milne showed some sketches of Hoist!
    1331508603_MTMTE%20hoist_web.jpg
    1331508603_MTMTE%20hoist_altmode.jpg

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    1331508603_MTMTE%20hoist_web.jpg

Dat. Face-plate. The character designs and art in these books are worth the price alone.

• Options
    the fact that the writing is superb just makes the deal even better

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
  • Options
    HELL YES

• Options
    Oh man, that was interesting. Can't wait to read the rest.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    holy crap the dialogue in this book seems amazing.

• Options
    so, MTMTE this week was INCREDIBLE
    between how the Sparkeater was handled, Tailgate's decision at the end of the issue, and the revelation that
    Rung has a brighter spark than Rodimus...
    this was a fun, interesting issue

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Finally caught up with RID 2 today, it went as well as I could've hoped.
    Starscream for robot president!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    MTMTE is just amazing
    I loved how the dialogue showed the differences between Brainstorm and Chromedome

when Brainstorm found Ore's body, he couldn't remember which duobot he was, and made a dark pun about it.

When Chromedome finished reading Shock's memories, he mixed up their names too, but apologized for the mistake.

it's the small touches that make me love the book so much

• Options
    MTMTE is just amazing
    I loved how the dialogue showed the differences between Brainstorm and Chromedome

when Brainstorm found Ore's body, he couldn't remember which duobot he was, and made a dark pun about it.

When Chromedome finished reading Shock's memories, he mixed up their names too, but apologized for the mistake.

wasn't it Rewind who mixed them up? i mean, i love the book, and that'd have been a fantastic detail, but I'm not sure that was in there.

• Options
    MTMTE is just amazing

wasn't it Rewind who mixed them up? i mean, i love the book, and that'd have been a fantastic detail, but I'm not sure that was in there.
    probably
    despite the fact that all the bots get unique designs, I am laughably bad at figuring out which one is which

I read comics way too fast and don't really focus on the pictures