As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Parallax [chat]

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
DGHKw.jpg

CzCpo.jpg

syCke.png

z6br0.jpg
The Parallax View is a 1974 American thriller film directed by Alan J. Pakula and starring Warren Beatty, Paula Prentiss, Hume Cronyn and William Daniels. The film was adapted by David Giler, Lorenzo Semple Jr and an uncredited Robert Towne from the 1970 novel by Loren Singer. The story concerns a reporter's dangerous investigation into an obscure organization, the Parallax Corporation, whose primary, but not ostensible, enterprise is political assassination.

The Parallax View is the second installment of Pakula's Political Paranoia trilogy, along with Klute (1971) and All the President's Men (1976); along with being the only film in the trilogy to not be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, The Parallax View is also the only film in the trilogy to not win, or be nominated for, an Academy Award.

rRwz9.gif
Jacobkosh on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Berkeley's grad admission process was super-frustrating.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Berkeley sucks!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Berkeley's grad school admissions process was super-frustrating.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have friends that went to USC, I have friends that went to UCLA.

I have friends that went to USC and are friends with people that went to UCLA, and vice-versa, because they are not five year olds.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    One of my grad teachers got his phd at Berkeley during the 70's. Smart guy, though he is an old hippy. Also a lifer in the Air Force.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    My sister went to Berkeley, and it is marginally better than UCLA in almost every area (but not by a ton) so I catch a lot of shit from her, naturally.

Also it doesn't help that we pretty much stole our mascot, color scheme, and fight song from them.

vRyue2p.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    That's how it goes with 99% of everyone who's ever been to usc/ucla, but it's still fun to have a rivalry...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    actually jeep a lot of those top schools have need-blind admissions- which means they don't consider your financial aid position whatsoever until they've admitted you

however, you're right that there are a lot of very good students (many of whom are more impressive than me on paper!) vying for those few transfer spots at top schools

so i am definitely not considering myself 'in' or anything

i am just trying to get excited and learn about the schools i like most so i can write good essays on my applications

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I have friends that went to USC and are friends with people that went to UCLA, and vice-versa, because they are not five year olds.

I have a friend from UCLA who now attends USC! You know him, actually!

That doesn't mean the rivalry is dumb, meaningless crap, though.

vRyue2p.png
    Rivalries are dumb!

Lets have friendships.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7XR9yH2ETk

I'm reposting this because I love you all.

Still not safe for work due to sex toys.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

I'm not a five year old either.

Rivalries are fun. Adults can manage to do it and not take it too seriously.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    I give Kakos tons of fucking shit for going to CU. I don't really care, but its fun to make fun of folks at CU and Boulder in general.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Real talk, skippy! I...

I made an rc airplane once that flew several times before I crashed it, but no one died. Also, several quality paper airplanes, and one balloon with a GI Joe attached to the string.

I'm sure Snake-Eyes landed safely.

Rivalries are dumb!

Lets have friendships.

Inqi, I think this just might be a thing that you don't understand.

Which is okay! The school rivalry thing isn't something everybody is into!

The condescending commentary isn't particularly appreciated, though.

vRyue2p.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    actually jeep a lot of those top schools have need-blind admissions- which means they don't consider your financial aid position whatsoever until they've admitted you

however, you're right that there are a lot of very good students (many of whom are more impressive than me on paper!) vying for those few transfer spots at top schools

i am just trying to get excited and learn about the schools i like most so i can write good essays on my applications

Hard to imagine how they don't go bankrupt. I'm skeptical to say the least. I know USC gives priority to legacy and so forth. Perhaps by the time they are done with all the nepotism they have few enough spots left they they can just select without considering what it's going to cost them.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Don't bother with UMass. You will freeze and learn very little.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to see what the new minecraft has to offer right at the spawn point use "lost" as your wordgen seed (works in multiplayer server as well).

It's one of the new jungles right next to a chain of shroom islands.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

Hard to imagine how they don't go bankrupt. I'm skeptical to say the least. I know USC gives priority to legacy and so forth. Perhaps by the time they are done with all the nepotism they have few enough spots left they they can just select without considering what it's going to cost them.

the reason they don't go bankrupt because very few kids with zero money or zero family support do well enough or are compelling enough candidates to be admitted

the vast majority of people admitted are expected to pay at least some of their tuition (like at harvard and yale)

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

I thought this was an onion video for the first minute +.

I also want a vagina coat!

spool32 wrote: »
    Real talk, skippy! I...

I made an rc airplane once that flew several times before I crashed it, but no one died. Also, several quality paper airplanes, and one balloon with a GI Joe attached to the string.

I'm sure Snake-Eyes landed safely.

look dogg there's something beautiful about giving the finger to helios and flying up into the gods' airspace

if you ain't got them kinda balls that's cool but

you ain't gotta hate

"THERE'S A PENIS ON MY BODY! AWESOME!"

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

the reason they don't go bankrupt because very few kids with zero money or zero family support do well enough or are compelling enough candidates to be admitted

the vast majority of people admitted are expected to pay at least some of their tuition (like at harvard and yale)
    the fuckloads of endowments don't hurt either I guess

http://vpf-web.harvard.edu/annualfinancial/

tyrannus on
    all my shit comes from public schools and I have no complaints

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    No Feral, you're supposed to feel shame!

Also they get money for even some of the full needs kids from the loans. Most of the schools you are looking at are either non-profit or state any ways so its more making enough money to stay afloat and keep the quality up to a certain level.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Man, I wish planned parenthood was really trying to hook people on sex.

That would be rad.

tyrannus wrote: »

the fuckloads of endowments don't hurt either I guess

troof

Woo, vagina macaroons!

u7stthr17eud.png

Oh my god

3:20 - 3:29

Oh nooo!

They are trying to make people not be ashamed of their own bodies.

OH NOOOO

Also nature made us sex addicts. Damn it God, why did you make it feel so good!

u7stthr17eud.png
    bedtime!

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    fuck

aRkpc.gif
    Feral wrote:

Oh my god

3:20 - 3:29

It was amazing wasn't it?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    OH

MY

GOD

mwt_screens5bdjta.jpg

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    OH

MY

GOD

mwt_screens5bdjta.jpg

Is that a screenshot from that new Tactics one? I am hell of signed up for that.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    BR, where is that from? I WANT IT! IN MY PANTS!

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.