As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megaten Discussion] Elizabeth added to P4A; P4's cast is already dead.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Pfft compared to Nocturne or SJ the only hard thing in the modern Persona games is getting all those social links to work out.

Going from Persona on any difficulty to a real game is like going from Tee Ball to the pros.

Meh. In P3FES, I had a lot of battles turn out to be harder because my allies made mistakes throughout the game. Wasn't until I got high-leveled Personas that I just didn't give a fuck about them any more, and they were there for extra damage and buffing/debuffing.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Holy F'. Battle for Everyone's Slams is awesome.
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Unaware if this has been mentioned yet, but apparently Atlus has hidden a nice little copy protection gem inside Devil Survivor 2.

There's an event that is supposed to take place that makes the first boss at the end of the first day killable. Apparently in a pirated copy, that event doesn't take place, so your group will get unceremoniously stomped by the (damage immune, your level +~15) boss. So apparently people posting on forums asking why they can't hurt the first boss are dead giveaways.

I love Atlus.

Awesome, but basically only stops R4 flashcarts before a patch it made. All the better/more popular later flashcarts run around any DS anti-piracy stuff for just about any game.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    Holy F'. Battle for Everyone's Slams is awesome.
    Unaware if this has been mentioned yet, but apparently Atlus has hidden a nice little copy protection gem inside Devil Survivor 2.

There's an event that is supposed to take place that makes the first boss at the end of the first day killable. Apparently in a pirated copy, that event doesn't take place, so your group will get unceremoniously stomped by the (damage immune, your level +~15) boss. So apparently people posting on forums asking why they can't hurt the first boss are dead giveaways.

I love Atlus.

Awesome, but basically only stops R4 flashcarts before a patch it made. All the better/more popular later flashcarts run around any DS anti-piracy stuff for just about any game.

It was enough to trick this silly goose:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/625210-shin-megami-tensei-devil-survivor-2/62114480

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I've been meaning to give this series a shot for a while, but what's the best place to start? Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, The PSP port of Persona, Persona 3, or something else?

Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army sounds really interesting, but used prices are a bit ludicrous.

Persona 3 or 4 are generally the best entry point. More story than most and easy by Megaten standards (although still difficult by JRPG standards in general).

Ignore XoB's rants - he's definitely in the minority when it comes to his Persona 3 & 4 hatred.

If you like dungeon crawlers, SMT: Nocturne is excellent. DDS 1 & 2 are also good.

I didn't care much for The Raidou Kuzonoha games but your mileage may vary.

Don't get Strange Journey - it's like SMT: Nocturne but much worse.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I really didn't like Persona 3. I kinda want to give the PSP version a try, but it's still too expensive. I didn't play P4 because I wanted to finish P3 first. It got to the point where I realized the game was giving me no help in how I should play it, and I had to sit there with two guides open at all times. I could only stand a day or two of that before giving up.

DS Overclocked was great, if rage-inducing.

DS2 so far? One word :
    Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinbooooooooooooooow!

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Social Li-... Fate System is a reloader's nightmare. I don't know if I'm making them happy or not, and whether or not Fate just takes a while to go up, or I botched a choice in conversation.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If it winds up being as irritating as P3, I'll be very disappointed. I'll just push forward and see what happens for now.

uyvfOQy.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I loved me some devil summoner. The story and locations are so good. The second is leagues better mechanically though.

steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So. What should I play first? DS2 or Overclocked?

cj iwakura wrote: »
    The Social Li-... Fate System is a reloader's nightmare. I don't know if I'm making them happy or not, and whether or not Fate just takes a while to go up, or I botched a choice in conversation.

You can generally tell by most of their reactions, as well as the blue narration showing how they react. On the plus side, they can level up after Story events, too.

Also, word of the wise: Focus on plot events first. Do this, and your chances of saving people sky-rocket. Or maybe you really need that extra Fate level, or that bonus battle? Choices...
    So. What should I play first? DS2 or Overclocked?
    Overclocked borrowed a ton of skills and new game mechanics (like multiple save files!) from DS2. I'd say play DS2 first, then go back and enjoy Overclocked.

Also, 3rd Day was a pain in the ass. Especially the stupid boss fight. The fight itself wasn't even hard, just... annoying. And it took forever.

Oh well, now I have 6 hours of free time(!) before the days end, so it's time to level up those fate gauges!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    NG+ right? Might as well go in totally blind the first time and then go for bonus stuff starting round 2.

NG+ right? Might as well go in totally blind the first time and then go for bonus stuff starting round 2.

They also revamped NG+, so you unlock "achievements" that give you points to use in a NG+ shop, which is how you get to keep your demons, remove the EXP cap, etc.

jagobannerpic.jpg

They also revamped NG+, so you unlock "achievements" that give you points to use in a NG+ shop, which is how you get to keep your demons, remove the EXP cap, etc.

Lol. Ripping off Tales of's Grade Shop.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    You say rip off, we say inspired by. Potato, potahto.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png

Lol. Ripping off Tales of's Grade Shop.

Mmmm, not quite. See the points you get come from special requirements, like special "achievements" you've accomplished throughout the game. For example, say you beat the game on a certain ending route. You get a huge load of points for beating that route. You also get bonus points if you beat the game for the first time.

These achievements also stack over the next time you play the game, so the more you get, the more points you can gain. The shop system is actually a genius idea. It prevents players from getting too powerful if they don't wish to, but maybe even encourage them to 100% the game.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Same shop mechanic, different point system.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Hey. A good thing is a good thing. Rip off or no.

Whelp. Time to think up a character name. Because -lol-, manga name doesn't fit in the boxes. And neither does mine.
    Then build them into a demigod of physical destruction, because DS1 forced me to go magic, and that made me feel dirty.

vagrant_winds on
    edited March 2012
    Hey. A good thing is a good thing. Rip off or no.

Whelp. Time to think up a character name. Because -lol-, manga name doesn't fit in the boxes. And neither does mine.
    Then build them into a demigod of physical destruction, because DS1 forced me to go magic, and that made me feel dirty.

Does Burt Reynolds fit? You should name him Burt Reynolds.

EDIT: Ooh, Ooh! Or Kurt Cobain! That should fit, right!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Persona 2 is super different. I have to talk to demons to get them to do stuff? And I have fusion spells. This is.. Going to take a while to get used to.

Lezard Valeth.

Know that thou art truly fortunate. You are able to witness the birth of a new god.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Persona 2 is super different. I have to talk to demons to get them to do stuff? And I have fusion spells. This is.. Going to take a while to get used to.
    At least it's not P1's grid-based system. :lol:

How do I get different Persona? Personae? Personas?

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Like P1, you have to make demons interested through negotiation. They'll give you some Tarot cards of their Arcana, and when you have enough for a specific Persona, you can summon it in the Velvet Room (no fusion mechanics whatsoever). Alternatively, you can form a contract with a demon by making them happy; on subsequent negotiations you can get the tarots and at least one blank tarot, which you can have turned into a tarot of any Major Arcana by talking to the Demon Artist in the Velvet Room. There are also Fool Personas, and their tarots are a colossal pain in the ass to get: you have to make a demon interested twice and angry twice (in no particular order), then you might be asked a question that if you answer correctly, will net you a Fool Tarot. The problem is that the Fool question has a ridiculously low chance of happening (though it does go up if you have a Fool Tarot).

Of course, that's not the only way to gain Personas. Some Personas have the potential ability to Mutate (evolve) into more powerful Personas, which has to be unlocked through a Mutation effect. Mutations are randomly triggered by ending a battle with a fusion spell, and can cause things like unlocking a Persona's hidden spell, raising its base stats, giving it two free ranks or unlocking the ability to evolve. If your Persona can Mutate into another one, you'll be able to do it in the Velvet Room.

tl;dr negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Also, end battles with Fusion Spells.

And my DS2 session ends when I am reminded that 3DSes have exceptionally disappointing battery life. =\
    I kinda want to play P2:IS, but I don't own it digitally and I'm waiting for a sale before I buy a second copy.

So just get Tarot cards? I can do that.

edited March 2012

Oh to be innocent again.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9AVPqSU6o

Holy shit, naoto is godlike.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    DS2 so far? One word :
    Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiinbooooooooooooooow!

I'll see your rainbow and raise you:

cLbg3.jpg

And my DS2 session ends when I am reminded that 3DSes have exceptionally disappointing battery life. =\
    I kinda want to play P2:IS, but I don't own it digitally and I'm waiting for a sale before I buy a second copy.

Don't mess around. Get this. It's $10 and it's worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Power-Pak-3DS-Nintendo/dp/B004SJA7L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330694297&sr=8-1

Donnicton on

Oh to be innocent again.

D:

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSA3az7KDXk

Still really early but it seems that most BnBs are not overly long while still dealing ok damage, which would be a HUGE improvement over blazblue.
    I'm getting beary excited over this! In fact, you can say the wait is going to be unbearable!!!
    HE'S A BEAR!!!:lol:

• Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    I guess it's been too long since I played an SMT title. My second battle in DS2 and I let my pixie get killed in one-hit from her elemental weakness, and my hero nearly died too cos I used him to finish off Bai Suzhen (she decided to attack my poltergeist instead of the hero and one-hit killed it). Nearly lost Io from getting ganged up, too.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular

Oh to be innocent again.

Hahahahahahahahahah

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSA3az7KDXk

Still really early but it seems that most BnBs are not overly long while still dealing ok damage, which would be a HUGE improvement over blazblue.
    I'm getting beary excited over this! In fact, you can say the wait is going to be unbearable!!!
    HE'S A BEAR!!!:lol:

I'm drinking a lot of bear while I wait.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

HOW DO YOU PEOPLE FIND THIS STUFF?
    Best few minutes ive had in a while .

Edit: wait this a an 'effing meme?!

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular

It is the best meme, inspired by the greatest of all games. (Okay, maybe not the greatest, but still.) You'd be surprised how many people have latched onto it.

• PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

It is the best meme, inspired by the greatest of all games. (Okay, maybe not the greatest, but still.) You'd be surprised how many people have latched onto it.
    I've been doing nothing but looking up videos with it. It is a great thing. Assassins Jam is really good I feel.

OT: Is DS2 harder than DS1? I know the DS games are considered easy for this series (or for Atlus in general), but i was still curious.

PrjctD_Captain on
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
    OT: Is DS2 harder than DS1? I know the DS games are considered easy for this series (or for Atlus in general), but i was still curious.

Yes, it can be. The AI tends to be a little smarter, but there are certain situations that require planning simply due to the way that the fights are set up. The first boss is a good example of this. Specifically:
    He's 15 levels above you and is immune to all damage at the outset. He comes with a host of lesser, more level appropriate demons, and although he doesn't move, he can attack up to halfway across the map and will pick a character on his turn and one shot one of the demons in their party with a high level fire attack.

Go fig, you have to actually make it past him to the other side of the map, to trigger and event that cripples the boss to about 1/3 of its health and makes it vulnerable to damage. It's still 15 levels above you and capable of one-shotting anything it attacks, however.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Yes, it can be. The AI tends to be a little smarter, but there are certain situations that require planning simply due to the way that the fights are set up. The first boss is a good example of this. Specifically:
    He's 15 levels above you and is immune to all damage at the outset. He comes with a host of lesser, more level appropriate demons, and although he doesn't move, he can attack up to halfway across the map and will pick a character on his turn and one shot one of the demons in their party with a high level fire attack.

Go fig, you have to actually make it past him to the other side of the map, to trigger and event that cripples the boss to about 1/3 of its health and makes it vulnerable to damage. It's still 15 levels above you and capable of one-shotting anything it attacks, however.
    I actually only lost two units in that battle--a pixie and a kobold--and probably would have done even better if I remembered to use Ghost Wound or whatever it's called to reduce its attack range. I don't know if I was way overleveled or what, though. I think I was around 7 or 8 with all my human members

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Blackjack wrote: »

I actually only lost two units in that battle--a pixie and a kobold--and probably would have done even better if I remembered to use Ghost Wound or whatever it's called to reduce its attack range. I don't know if I was way overleveled or what, though. I think I was around 7 or 8 with all my human members

Like I said, there are fights that require planning, not that they were innately difficult. There are fights that are a genuine pain in the ass but I'm only using the first major boss as an example.

Enemies will definitely try flanking you now more than ever. I had one battle where you needed to escort a character to an escape point, and even though said character was out of the enemy's range, even though I was right in front of it, it still chose to pursue the target.

I've also lost characters several times to enemies that spammed Mazio and caused a Shocked status to at least 2 units in my squad. And it's ridiculous when the Mazio spammers are heavy Phys hitters to boot, so that's extra damage on me.

As for the bosses, they tend to get on the annoying side, but nothing I haven't been able to handle, yet. One mini boss was like 10 levels higher than me, and took forever to beat, though I'll admit I was using only my MC so that he could hog all the EXP.

jagobannerpic.jpg