As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] Beta sign-ups closed at over ONE MILLION!

• Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote:
    And I personally like the Charr because they are hideous. Arenanet had the balls to make a beast race and not bow to the internets desire for everything ever to be ~so svelte and sexy~. No they are completely inhuman and unpleasant to look at and I dig it.

They didn't go the retarded Worgen route with this.

Yeah not everything has to be humans but with/pointy ears/horns/fur/tastey frosting.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2012
    For nearly my entire six-year stint of WoW I only used 1-6 for skills, with alt/shift permutations. Three rows of six buttons were a standard feature of all my UIs.

Echo on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    For nearly my entire six-year stint of WoW I only used 1-6 for skills, with alt/shift permutations. Three rows of six buttons were a standard feature of all my UIs.

*Brofist*

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Man, I am watching WoodenPotatoes do his Let's Play of GW1. He's doing a kill quest so he can get his first skills. How quaint! I really couldn't play GW1 after I saw GW2.

• Options
    Heh, must be from his Prophecies campaign. Factions and Nightfall learned that it's best to give the player skills to hit things with right away.

• Options
    I tried really hard, but I just can't stand playing GW1 again.

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I'm enjoying it. Took a little effort to get back into but I find the Dervish fun, and since Prophecies was the last campaign I did the 'meh' ness of it wasn't much of a problem - I blew through it so fast (even with bonuses) that just seeing the new locales and such kept it interesting.

The Beyond stuff is pretty neat, at least what I've done of it (War in Kryta and Hearts of the North, haven't started Winds of Change - not looking forward to the cleansing bits....)

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:

I tried to play GW1 last night, but it just made me want to play GW2. ;_;

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have a g13 and may get myself a Naga coming up here. I know there's not a huge need for it in GW2 but I still like having the option to put things on buttons.

Plus it allows me to, hopefully if it's still in the game, bind out my "hey attack my target, people" button. There were things about the GW1 interface that no other game that I have played has done better and the way they handled targeting enemies was one of them. I know it won't work in a public group but I hope it's there for the standard party.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Looking at that video, I see 10 skills on the bar. I am assuming that is all the skills you can equip at one time. Now add maybe a few "other" binds... I'm not sure why we'd even need shift or ctrl. Alt + neutral is probably plenty to bind everything. =P A Naga or Nostromo seems overkill for GW2. Mind you, it's fine... just seems overkill.

I don't want to have to look down on my keyboard to find keys 6-0. They're too far away for me to find accurately.

I thought it was implied you'd rebind 6-0, but it still seems overkill to need a fancy mouse or game-keypad thing for 10-16 hotkeys.
    One of the things to remember about thumb buttons is that they're excellent for fast-reaction skills.

Interrupts or other abilities that you need to use quickly are great choices for thumb buttons. Similarly, any ability where you want to be moving during it (i.e. not having to take your finger off the A/D or S/F strafe keys to cast).

Thumb buttons and Shift+thumb buttons are basically for all your cool quick reaction abilities. Likewise, Q and E (or W and R) are easy to tap really quickly and are good for abilities that you use regularly, in ways that F/G and V/B aren't.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Every time someone even mentions using non-number keys my left hand starts to gnarl into a twitching mass. Maybe it's because I've got fuck-off huge hands, but it's always been more comfortable for me to bind things between 1-5, maybe 6 depending while using modifier keys. I've heard that dodge is for some reason 'C' from what we've seen in the beta, that's gonna change for me. I'll probably make it my thumb resting side button on my mouse.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Despite not playing Cataclysm, I've found the WoW Cataclysm mouse from Steel Series to be far superior to the Naga. For faster paced, PvP, I think it wins hands down.

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular

Same here. I used ctrl, also. Otherwise, that was it. I think I had numpad 0, + and - bound, too, but to things like pots (could tap the + with my thumb). Later I learned I could just map the thumb button on my mouse. And that served me well through countless MMOs.

And then there was SW:TOR.

Bethryn wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Looking at that video, I see 10 skills on the bar. I am assuming that is all the skills you can equip at one time. Now add maybe a few "other" binds... I'm not sure why we'd even need shift or ctrl. Alt + neutral is probably plenty to bind everything. =P A Naga or Nostromo seems overkill for GW2. Mind you, it's fine... just seems overkill.

I don't want to have to look down on my keyboard to find keys 6-0. They're too far away for me to find accurately.

I thought it was implied you'd rebind 6-0, but it still seems overkill to need a fancy mouse or game-keypad thing for 10-16 hotkeys.
    One of the things to remember about thumb buttons is that they're excellent for fast-reaction skills.

Interrupts or other abilities that you need to use quickly are great choices for thumb buttons. Similarly, any ability where you want to be moving during it (i.e. not having to take your finger off the A/D or S/F strafe keys to cast).

Thumb buttons and Shift+thumb buttons are basically for all your cool quick reaction abilities. Likewise, Q and E (or W and R) are easy to tap really quickly and are good for abilities that you use regularly, in ways that F/G and V/B aren't.

I've been using alt+C as my interrupt (it works). I use my thumb button for things like target of target, bubble, guard (target of target + guard in SW:TOR can really ruin some people's days).

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular

I wish I could do this, for some reason not having every ability hotkeyed or easily click-able pains me. :(

Even if it's something dumb like mind sooth.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Meister wrote: »
    Looking over the profession biography questions http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography, it seems like all the professions except Mesmer have interesting choices for their starting appearance. Mesmer has smiley face mask, sad face mask, and Fanged Demon mask.

I think I know which one everyone is going to pick...

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The mesmer choices seem pretty spot on for the class. As with all the appearance options it's really the flavor text that sells each one. And the Fanged Demon Mask is the least mesmer-y of the bunch. I know I'll be picking the Tragic Mask. That flavor text is perfect.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Looking over the profession biography questions http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Biography, it seems like all the professions except Mesmer have interesting choices for their starting appearance. Mesmer has smiley face mask, sad face mask, and Fanged Demon mask.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. The mesmer choices seem pretty spot on for the class. As with all the appearance options it's really the flavor text that sells each one. And the Fanged Demon Mask is the least mesmer-y of the bunch. I know I'll be picking the Tragic Mask. That flavor text is perfect.

Holy Ranger options batman! I didn't notice those options in the video (been skipping the creation stuff mostly since I'll have a lot more fun toying with that in game), love the stories tied to each item. Not sure why someone put [sic] in the Goggles one...that's proper usage of 'its'....

steejee on
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I like the look of the Harlequin Smile, and the name of it. But the Phantasm of Sorrow has by far the best description.

But as has been pointed out. We all here represent a small niche type of cross-section of the gamer community that will be playing this game.

And looking at the elementalist options makes me not want to play one now. maaaaaaaan.

Buddies on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »

I like the look of the Harlequin Smile, and the name of it. But the Phantasm of Sorrow has by far the best description.

But as has been pointed out. We all here represent a small niche type of cross-section of the gamer community that will be playing this game.

And looking at the elementalist options makes me not want to play one now. maaaaaaaan.

Oh I get that the average kid will pick TEH DEMON MASK! But.... that doesn't somehow make the other options bad which is what Meister is suggesting. Who cares what everyone else picks?

• Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular

I tried that but it seems my brain doesn't like the alt/shift thingy. I just use ~,1-6,Q,E,R,F,V,T,G,Z,X & Tab and tweak my UI to have a bar of less used skills on the right side to be clicked on. I tried going ESDF but it got weird on other games.

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    They said it was a toy, a pipe dream, and a waste of resources. They were wrong. My invention predicts the future. So what if it doesn't predict it correctly every time. That's irrelevant! Could it give me an advantage? Reply hazy. Ask again.

• Options
    So question - we're about to hit 100 pages, which means new thread, is there a particular reason for spinning off threads? I wasn't particularly active on PA boards for a 3-4 year stretch, MMO forum wasn't around last time I was active.

• Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    steejee wrote: »
    Not sure why someone put [sic] in the Goggles one...that's proper usage of 'its'....

The worst kind of prescriptivist. A gentleman would give Arenanet the benefit of the doubt and assume that a pair of goggles is implied.

• Options
    So question - we're about to hit 100 pages, which means new thread, is there a particular reason for spinning off threads? I wasn't particularly active on PA boards for a 3-4 year stretch, MMO forum wasn't around last time I was active.

I think the spinoff threads make things kind of cluttered.

• Options
    edited March 2012

I think the spinoff threads make things kind of cluttered.

At one point it was pure technical limitations. I do not know if that is still the case.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Does anyone have images of sylvari near humans? Or better yet, one of those pictures that shows all the races lined up to give you an idea of scale?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Does anyone have images of sylvari near humans? Or better yet, one of those pictures that shows all the races lined up to give you an idea of scale?

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8294/1867947-guild_wars_2_races1259966809.jpg - think it's a snap from one of the videos. They're not at the same distance but it gives a good sense of scale. Don't know where on the size slider scale each of the characters there is either.

steejee on
  • Options

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/8294/1867947-guild_wars_2_races1259966809.jpg - think it's a snap from one of the videos. They're not at the same distance but it gives a good sense of scale. Don't know where on the size slider scale each of the characters there is either.

Ohh taller than I expected. I like that.

Thanks!

• Options

Ohh taller than I expected. I like that.

Thanks!

I would guess that the overall options for height for Sylvari will be roughly the same as Humans, simply because of the backstory about the tree modelling the Sylvari after humans.

• Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular

The flavor text is irrelevant since the choices are basically "Pick between these 3 starting masks". You could make up your own flavor text if you wanted to, because your choice of mask won't actually affect your personal story. Personally the smiley and frowney masks seem really stupid to me, and I think the majority of Mesmer will choose Fanged Dread. This is bad; you want your choices to be equally popular, ideally.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Okay so you thought everyone would pick the demon mask and me and demon respectively thought everyone would take smiley and tragic
    Sounds good to me

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dude, the smiley and sad faces are the two Tragedy/Comedy Masks that go back to Ancient Greece and like, basically one the oldest form of theater we know of. They are like THE symbol of the performing arts.

And Mesmer's, since day 1 in GW1, have been heavily linked with Theatrical imagery.

I'm not sure what you aren't getting.

• Options

The flavor text is irrelevant since the choices are basically "Pick between these 3 starting masks". You could make up your own flavor text if you wanted to, because your choice of mask won't actually affect your personal story. Personally the smiley and frowney masks seem really stupid to me, and I think the majority of Mesmer will choose Fanged Dread. This is bad; you want your choices to be equally popular, ideally.

What kind of masks would you expect from a mesmer? The smiley and sad ones are the kind of that I was expecting from the gates. I think the demon one is kinda stupid. What does a mesmer have to do with demons? Wow, opinions right?

Also... without the flavor text most of the options aren't any more interesting. A SCARF! A HELMET! SOME SHOULDERPADS! Or how about... A HELMET! ANOTHER HELMET! NO HELMET!

You're kinda taking something you have this opinion about and not realizing that other people like different things. You didn't say "I don't like the mesmer choices" You said that mesmer had bad choices.

I would also argue that the flavor text is the MAIN point of these starting options. It's to held build the idea of the character that you are creating. As these items will be easily replaceable so the physical appearance does not matter very much.

• Options
    I think the demon mask is kinda lame compared to the drama masks (tragedy/comedy), I'll actually be hard pressed to choose which one of those two I want. There's something just sorta awesomely creepy about the idea of conjuring phantoms/clones while wearing one of those.

• Options
    Architeuthis DuxArchiteuthis Dux Registered User regular

I wouldn't count on that to not have changed since the sylvari redesign. Also, wow, I had forgotten how much I disliked Caithe's old design. Old sylvari were the one bum note in the early material.

Here's a height chart, though these are apparently "best guesses", so you can't count on them either.
    height-chart21.jpg

• Options
    I just have to say this because, as I work, I am listening to press footage and such.

This may be the best game I have played since I booted up Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders on my c64.

It may even give ol' Zak a run for his money.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Eh, the popular option's gonna be the same as it was in the first game: "turn off mask."

I'll go for a smiley mask though. Boy, is my charr mesmer gonna be wacky! 8->

• Options
    Okay so I'm gonna go with [GW2] New Event Nearby - March Beta Incoming! for the new thread, how's it sound?

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    Eh, the popular option's gonna be the same as it was in the first game: "turn off mask."

I'll go for a smiley mask though. Boy, is my charr mesmer gonna be wacky! 8->

I smell a sitcom.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I have a question that might be a dumb one, as I haven't really been paying attention to this game even though I'm pretty sure it will be awesome. What makes this game different from a traditional monthly-fee MMO that "allows" it to have no monthly-fee? Does it handle "servers" in a different way? Less persistent world stuff going on? Is it going to have micro-transactions? I'm just curious if there are "corners" being cut that allows the fee to be eliminated, or if ArenaNet is going to make everybody wonder why they're paying for other games. (not just because their game is better, but because it offers the same "service" elements that we're used to only getting if we pay)

• Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular

What kind of masks would you expect from a mesmer? The smiley and sad ones are the kind of that I was expecting from the gates. I think the demon one is kinda stupid. What does a mesmer have to do with demons? Wow, opinions right?

Also... without the flavor text most of the options aren't any more interesting. A SCARF! A HELMET! SOME SHOULDERPADS! Or how about... A HELMET! ANOTHER HELMET! NO HELMET!

You're kinda taking something you have this opinion about and not realizing that other people like different things. You didn't say "I don't like the mesmer choices" You said that mesmer had bad choices.

I would also argue that the flavor text is the MAIN point of these starting options. It's to held build the idea of the character that you are creating. As these items will be easily replaceable so the physical appearance does not matter very much.

I'm not saying the smiley and frowney masks are bad because I think they're bad.

I'm saying it's a bit suboptimal because it seems like most people (especially people who are into Japanese animu and what not) will go for the Fanged Dread mask.

Like in all the other profession choices you'll see a fairly even split among their aesthetic options, I think. They all have fairly comparable options. Demon, Skull, Wraith. Mask, headband, hood. Water, Fire, Earth, Air. Smile, Frown, Japanese Oni mask. One of these sets is not like the others...

I think you'll just end up with a bunch of people running around with the Fanged Dread, which is nonoptimal for immersion. I'm not saying they should remove the smile and frown. If anything they should remove the Fanged Dread. They should just make the options equal. Equality is good.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
This discussion has been closed.