As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    nathanael wrote: »
    I got wipeout and this is great. I wish I had gotten the boxed version, but I'm fine with a downloadable version.

I feel the same way, only reversed, about Hot Shots Golf. Totally wish that I'd DL'd it instead of getting the boxed copy. It's just one of those games that needs to always be available, especially for the Daily International Tourneys that I suck hard at. I love 'em.

I like the vita boxes, though. They look really cool. They remind me of the old school Gameboy/GBA boxes for some reason.

So, Remote Play... I messed with it once on the PSP and never gave it another go. What's the deal with it on the Vita? I saw a commercial which made it seem like you could set a PS3 game down and pick it up on the Vita via remote play, but as I understand it, that's a bit of false advertising? Someone wanna give me a rundown on how RP works, and if I should bother setting it up?

TheSonicRetard on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm simply pimping mutant blobs because its good stuff.

Unit 13 does look cool though. Admittedly Zipper has absolutely crap post launch support. Oh well.
    Yes, though, vita is making me love my psp games all over again.

So want p3p and zhp. Sales dammit! I need them.

steam_sig.png
    I'm simply pimping mutant blobs because its good stuff.

Unit 13 does look cool though. Admittedly Zipper has absolutely crap post launch support. Oh well.
    Yes, though, vita is making me love my psp games all over again.

So want p3p and zhp. Sales dammit! I need them.

I really like the feel of the Vita. It's so much more comfortable than my PSP-1000 or PSP Go. Hell, I think it's even a bit more comfortable than my Dualshock 3, which I use to play PSP titles on the Go. The thing just molds into my hand so well. I've been trying to think real hard if there were any killer FPS titles on the PSP that I could try out on the vita - that second stick begs to be used.

I can't wait for the inevitable Socom, MAG, or Killzone to be released. Killzone in particular... those visuals on a handheld would blow my damn mind.

Which brings me back to wipeout. Good god damn this is the best looking title I've ever seen on a handheld. That OLED screen does this game so well. Uncharted didn't visually excite me, and Rayman Origins didn't look as great on a small screen as I expected, but Wipeout delivers so damn hard. As always. Wipeout always looks drop dead gorgeous.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Hmmm? I remember there being tons of minor balance patches for MAG, a huge 2.0 overall that added in neutral maps/move support/totally redid the entire talent point+equipment system, and continued patches for long afterwards. A year and a half of constant balance patches and updates seems like support to me. :x

Did they release SOCOM and let it die or something?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

Hmmm? I remember there being tons of minor balance patches for MAG, a huge 2.0 overall that added in neutral maps/move support/totally redid the entire talent point+equipment system, and continued patches for long afterwards. A year and a half of constant balance patches and updates seems like support to me. :x

Did they release SOCOM and let it die or something?

It's funny that I never picked up SOCOM. I remember being so hyped about it, and I even bought a Move specifically for it, but then it came and went and I just never got around to buying it.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just had somebody today tell me that the 3DS had a better launch lineup than the Vita.. Yes they were serious.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Super Street Fighter IV.... outdated by Arcade Edition just two months later. ...and what else again?
    I really like my 3DS, but I picked it up long after launch.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    3DS launch had some decent titles, I won't hesitate to say.

But it's not gonna stack up against the Vita's launch, especially if we crack the window open to the first month or so, where there're several genres getting entries to round things out.

Did they release SOCOM and let it or something?

Mag had decent support. Even if them closing servers made it damn near unplayable four months out.

That socom game they dumped mag to do though? Eeh.

Admittedly zipper was super show and terrible at updating things that mattered like making maps neutral to stop player bleed when everyone hated on the sver unbalance.

steam_sig.png
    I really enjoyed the mechanics of MAG. Talent point specs. Highly customizable load outs including the ability to hold multiple tactical equipment (sensors, medkits, repairing kits, types of grenades, etc). Unique officer abilities. Tactical-objective basses maps instead of bullshit like deathmatch or capture the flag that require teamwork and all types of loadout types. Vehicles (though Battlefield does this better). Up to 256 real person matches.

And my favorite things?
    1. Friendly Fire always 100% on.
    2. Zero aim-assist.
    3. Voice communication being squad based (coms) + directly around you (vocal) meaning you heard the enemy team's voice chat when near them and made stealth a whole new game.

Zipper needs to make a sequel, steal some improvements from Battlefield (destructible environments for one), and make it Vita+PS3 crossplay.

The best part of mag was standing around dudes you killed. Especially with a shotgun. oh the nerd rage.

steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Super Street Fighter IV.... outdated by Arcade Edition just two months later. ...and what else again?
    I really like my 3DS, but I picked it up long after launch.

After he said that, I actually looked up their prospective launch lineups, and besides the much larger launch lineup that the Vita had, the Vita also had 8/9 launch titles with an average rating of 80% or higher on GameRankings, whereas the 3DS had... wait for it now.. ONE. The Vita had almost as many highly rated launch titles, as the 3DS had launch titles period.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    The 3DS's launch was nowhere near good. But it did have Ghost Recon, which was excellent.

I have just tripped, bought and started Persona 3. I LOVE it, but what the fuck is going on?! Oh I'm shooting myself in the head am I?

Excellent.

steam_sig.png
    You playing MC or FeMC? Male is probably better for a first play through as that's the original.

Male to start as I'd never touched it before. It's just the insanity of shooting myself in the head to summon a lyre-playing mecha thing that is apparently part of my subconscious to cast a fire attack on a bouncing hand with a bowling pin & face for a wrist. In an hour which most people don't know exist and have been transformed into coffins.

Oh. Ok.

steam_sig.png
    On one hand, you get massive gameplay improvments. On the other hand, you lose The Answer epilogue chapter and all the animated cutscenes because they weren't going to redo them all for FeMC. Some of them are pretty trippy. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN5gMe3tqbM

There's your first summoning one.

Awesome. Such a shame that wasn't actually in it, because that was so good.

Btw, do I find out what on earth that alternate version of Orpheus was all about? Because I have no idea. Haven't seen it since.

steam_sig.png
    That batshit crazy smile+the stuff you learn in The Answer makes the protagonist from P3 probably my favorite in just about any game. Dudes hardcore.

steam_sig.png
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    Awesome. Such a shame that wasn't actually in it, because that was so good.

Btw, do I find out what on earth that alternate version of Orpheus was all about? Because I have no idea. Haven't seen it since.

You'll find out towards the end. It's one of the overarching plot points.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The best part of mag was standing around dudes you killed. Especially with a shotgun. oh the nerd rage.

Did someone say ... SHOTGUUUUUUUUN!? :3

Regarding my upper right corner video oddness thing, I think it might even be the fact that something was digitally removed from that corner of the series I was watching. I guess that says something for the quality of the screen on this thing.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    yalborap wrote: »
    3DS launch had some decent titles, I won't hesitate to say.

But it's not gonna stack up against the Vita's launch, especially if we crack the window open to the first month or so, where there're several genres getting entries to round things out.

The 3DS launch had decent titles, but as a 3DS owner I will say the Vita has a much more robust launch list. With that said, Nintendo rarely launches handhelds with a stellar lineup - the DS launch was even worse than the 3DS. I will go against the grain in that I think Wipeout is one of the weakest of the launch based on the framerate - I'd rather they make the graphics weaker and the framerate smoother as that smooth, floaty gameplay is what I love about the series.

The flip side is that with the 3DS you could walk into Gamestop and see hundreds of games to buy thanks to the DS stuff, but with backwards compatibility being digital only Sony really had to make sure to have more of an instant library on launch for the retail world.

I worry that it seems limited homebrew is already available with a very specific hack on a rare title given it seems really early for that floodgate to be opening.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Ghost Recon was the best launch game on the 3DS, and is still the best game on the system, in my opinion. So great. Unfortunately, I can count on one hand the other 3DS games that I'd consider "great" out of the entire library.

It's telling that I own more launch week Vita games than all the 3DS games I've ever bought combined. Sony did an excellent job of making sure there was a wide variety of really solid games from all genres available right away. The only area that it would have really benefited from bulking up would be FPSes/third person action games. The dual-stick setup is begging for more of that. But otherwise, the lineup of weird/puzzles/sports/racing/fighting/platforming is all pretty great.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I asked this in the other thread but didn't get an answer: Did they fix the cheating AI in Modnation?

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing Army Corps of Hell?

E26cO.jpg
  • shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    Thread! Answer my stupid question!

If I delete a downloaded title (aPSP game) I can redownload later. Right? Right?

*Burned before. Don't take anything for granted anymore.

In other news, Vita is the system that finally got me to play Persona. Therefore, it is an awesome system.

Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    shrouded wrote: »

If I delete a downloaded title (aPSP game) I can redownload later. Right? Right?

*Burned before. Don't take anything for granted anymore.

In other news, Vita is the system that finally got me to play Persona. Therefore, it is an awesome system.

Yes. Everything you've bought shows up in your download history on the store.

• NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    I have some questions, but first, feel free to add me to the OP list: NailbunnyPD / NailbunnyPD / GMT-5 (EST)

1. I started with a 4GB card and bought some PSN games (PSP and Vita). I then bought a 16GB card. What's the easiest way to migrate all that stuff over?

2. I bought Disgaea 2 on PSN, and it has DLC available. Can I buy PSP DLC and get it on the Vita, and if so, how?

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    shrouded wrote: »
    Answered.

Thanks. Now I can shoehorn BlazBlue onto this card. 8G is just too small.

Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I have some questions, but first, feel free to add me to the OP list: NailbunnyPD / NailbunnyPD / GMT-5 (EST)

1. I started with a 4GB card and bought some PSN games (PSP and Vita). I then bought a 16GB card. What's the easiest way to migrate all that stuff over?

2. I bought Disgaea 2 on PSN, and it has DLC available. Can I buy PSP DLC and get it on the Vita, and if so, how?

1. Plug the Vita into your PC/Mac with the content manager software running.

Choose to back up your memory card.

Let it finish. Disconnect the Vita. Swap memory cards.

Plug it back into your PC/Mac.

Choose to restore your backup.

• AxonAxon Registered User regular
    I'm really interested in picking one up after seeing the pretty much universally glowing reviews. Indulge me in some noob questions:

1. If I buy the Wifi/3G unit, am I forced to sign up for a 3G data plan? That's a big turn off for me at this stage. but later down the road, if better features emerge, I may want to have 3G.

2. What size memory card do you guys recommend? I will likely download at least 5 PSP games, and possibly even a PSV game. I'm often in Airports, bored and waiting.

• BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    1. I think you can sign up for the 3G whenever you want and it's not mandatory

2. Based on your plans 8gb is the bare minimum and i would recommend a 16gb card for anyone seriously considering DD over carts for Vita games.

P3P+Dissidia DuoDecim+Corpse Party+Final Fantasy IV Complete+Maverick Hunter X is pushing 4gb.

Add Blazblue/UMVC3 and you're nearing 8.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I have two Vita games, and two psp games on my 8GB card. I have 200 MB left.

edited March 2012
    The 3G data plan is totally optional. I haven't signed up yet, and likely won't.

Worth noting: it's a month-to-month deal. No contract or commitment.

minor incident on
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The number of people that have been coming in to say they caved and bought a Vita is heartwarming. I hope this trend continues and developers start looking at the platform seriously (if they were having second thoughts).

Whoever it was that said I could still get Game Goods from Friends in Near, thank you! (sorry, thread moves fast and I'm lazy). I can indeed still get game goods when I go into the Friends section of Near so it really isn't the end of the world that the location-based stuff is broken for me right now. I can wait out a patch for sure. Especially if the number of people in my friends list with Vitas (aka you people) keeps growing!

Last thing: I haven't been using the Uncharted Black Market in a while because I sold my copy of Uncharted but I just won a new copy... so I'll be back doing trades. My 'gotta catch em all' urge started rising the instant I sold the game and started getting trade requests via Near.

Edit to add my Memory Card opinion: Go with the 16gb or the 32gb if you can afford it. I have 12 PSP games on here, Katamari PSV, and about 9 albums for custom soundtracks. I have 14gb remaining on my 32gb. I have barely even started actually buying Vita games and the 16gb would not have been enough for me already. I am, however, never buying a retail copy of a game unless I have no choice. The convenience factor is worth the extra cost for me.

Wraithverge on
    To counter this: I'd just buy a 16. It literally takes all of 5 minutes to transfer most content over. I have a stack of PSP games and similar just sitting on the PS3 and it takes all of 8 minutes tops to turn it on, sign in, plug in the PSV and start the content manager then move stuff around (Using handy check boxes.)

If you have some seriously deep ADD and somehow need 30+ games all available at once, then I guess a 32gb card may be necessary. On the other hand, I have.. 7 PSP games on mine and have only used up some odd 5gb of my card, and those are some definitely playable ones. If I toss on a few PSV titles I'd be pretty much set and still have 5gb or so for music. (Two biggest PSV titles at 3.5 and 3.3gb are Blazblue and Uncharted. Most are in the 1/1.5ish area.)

steam_sig.png
  • chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    I've had the 3DS since launch and I already have more Vita games than 3DS games.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    To counter this: I'd just buy a 16. It literally takes all of 5 minutes to transfer most content over. I have a stack of PSP games and similar just sitting on the PS3 and it takes all of 8 minutes tops to turn it on, sign in, plug in the PSV and start the content manager then move stuff around (Using handy check boxes.)

If you have some seriously deep ADD and somehow need 30+ games all available at once, then I guess a 32gb card may be necessary. On the other hand, I have.. 7 PSP games on mine and have only used up some odd 5gb of my card, and those are some definitely playable ones. If I toss on a few PSV titles I'd be pretty much set and still have 5gb or so for music. (Two biggest PSV titles at 3.5 and 3.3gb are Blazblue and Uncharted. Most are in the 1/1.5ish area.)

I guess if you carry around your PS3 then this is a great option. I don't. It's not a matter of needing 30 games at all times, it's being able to choose one of those 30 games when I'm traveling. Or in bed. Or anywhere I don't have my ps3. Plus the ps3 deletes the PSP games when you transfer so I'm not going to go on my ps3 and redownload every game I own every time I transfer it.

It's not that I disagree that 16gb is sufficient for the average gamer but if you can afford bigger and you are lazy like me... Even 16gb isn't enough. Normally I wouldn't bother addressing your comment above but there's no need to say someone has "serious ADD" when you just have different gaming/lifestyle habits than someone else.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Can someone please confirm for me how large Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus is on PSN? I'm trying to decide if I can spare the room for it on my 32 gig card, or if I should go through the hassle of tracking down a seemingly-rare physical copy of it.

edit: And also the price. Is it discounted? I forget.

edit2: If you could do this huge favor for me, I will be your best friend.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

Transfer the DLC from your PS3.

edited March 2012

I guess if you carry around your PS3 then this is a great option. I don't. It's not a matter of needing 30 games at all times, it's being able to choose one of those 30 games when I'm traveling. Or in bed. Or anywhere I don't have my ps3. Plus the ps3 deletes the PSP games when you transfer so I'm not going to go on my ps3 and redownload every game I own every time I transfer it.

It's not that I disagree that 16gb is sufficient for the average gamer but if you can afford bigger and you are lazy like me... Even 16gb isn't enough. Normally I wouldn't bother addressing your comment above but there's no need to say someone has "serious ADD" when you just have different gaming/lifestyle habits than someone else.

...Uh, the PS3 never deletes the games. Mine are still sitting there. After moving them on and off at least three or four times now as I toy around with things. So I'm not even sure what you're doing wrong there. The installers are all still just sitting pretty right on my XMB. Where they've always been. Just waiting. I transfered 5gb of PSP games to my PSV just now and it took roughly 10 minutes from start to finish. Sounds like user error all up ins being stated as fact?

Still, if thats your 'lifestyle', uh.. cool I guess. As you said, normal people can probably spare a few minutes to transfer things every few days when they get bored of the roughly 10+ PSV or 20ish PSP/PSV games you can fit on a 16gb card.

Edit: Oh right. I found out what sony is spending that 50m marketing budget on. We just got some PS Vita junkmail. Or, well, one showed up addressed to Maddoc's PSN name. I find that kind of amusing.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png