As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Terraria in space, or something.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Oh God I wish I never saw this thread.

This looks too good and I NEED IT NOW

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I can't stop thinking about the ideas behind this game. I want to play it at about the same intensity that I desired Terraria when Pbat did his videos. I hope the devs pay no attention whatsoever to the general forum they've got, but I think they should take a look in some of the Suggestions sub-sections.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This looks interesting. I'm a sucker for procedural and expanding game content and the visual style seems somewhat Cave Storyish which I dig. I guess I'll be keeping an eye on this as it develops. I wonder if there will be a way to catch/train all those different critters ala Space Pokemon.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    yeah this thread is a cocktease, stop posting in it because it makes me remember i have it bookmarked

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Ditto. I keep waiting for a demo or something.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I never got into Terraria because the landscapes were kind of dull and climbing the 'tech tree' felt really daunting. I hope this is more exciting from the beginning.

It is promising a lot though, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm with you, this is a lot of smoke and mirrors at this point. There is a lot of assumption going on what we have been shown in the images are screenshots, they could be mockups, or concept art - I've seen it before on a project called Survivors of Ragnarok, a very alpha game. A vague rather open ended public design doc, plenty of pretty stills ... but when I boot up the latest build, it looks and especially plays nothing remotely like they are shooting for. We really don't have much to go on to really say one way or another if this will be a remarkable game, it just shows promise.

That said, I still hope both that and this pan out. And I haven't come across anything that suggests this is not on the level. In the mean time I'll be watching some FTL videos that those who are nice enough to record from their time on (n)Onlive with the alpha build demo.

This all reminds me of the Indie Dev roundtable I watched on the free PC Gamer Digital episode, where it was pointed out that successful early release games still have something to play with even if they aren't feature complete, IIRC.

steam_sig.png
  • MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    The tech tree was daunting in Terraria? Really? And based on these screenshots the landscape looks exactly the same. I don't understand either side of that comment.
    Either way, more Terraria games is only a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    I refuse to get worked into a perpetual froth about this, since I have been repeatdly Molyneux'd by the master and forevermore am immune to the molyneuxing of lesser men. However, if it comes out and lives up to its wildly vague promises? Shit, dawgs. Gonna be tossin' dough at that like a target in a bakery.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I refuse to get worked into a perpetual froth about this, since I have been repeatdly Molyneux'd by the master and forevermore am immune to the molyneuxing of lesser men. However, if it comes out and lives up to its wildly vague promises? Shit, dawgs. Gonna be tossin' dough at that like a target in a bakery.

On it like a Seagull on a hot dog bun?

• KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have terraria and still have not played it. I should fix that...

But this game, oh yes it looks tasty. At the very least, it falls into the must buy category because I feel the need to support innovative games, especially ones that generate randomized content.

Also, NPC holding a penguins hand. Awesome.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I'm really excited for this game. The idea of a home base independent of the worlds you explore sounds friggin awesome.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I require orbital death lasers as a feature.

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I'm sure the base will include the ability to recruit a mad scientist.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    I require orbital death lasers as a feature.

This is a confirmed feature. It's in the dev Q&A.

B6yM5w2.gif
    :^:

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Isn't that third picture, the middle blue deer analog thing a pokemon?

Could be plenty of things. Makes me think Princess Mononoke before I think Pokémon.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    anoffday wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    Wow, this looks like Terraria: The Actually Fun Edition. I'm pretty excited.

What? You must not have been doing it right, if that's possible. Terraria is awesome.

Anyway you had me sold at Terrria in space. I'm really getting into space sci-fi stuff lately. My nerdiness is expanding.

Terraria is awesome. But it did lack in motivation for building structures though.

All you really needed was a grid of boxes for NPCs and you were covered.

We
    Echo wrote: »
    Could be plenty of things. Makes me think Princess Mononoke before I think Pokémon.

I immediately thought pokemon when I saw it and I havent played one since Pokemon Snap for the N64

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Really love the look of the game, i'd be curious on how much actual "game" they have implimented now (the lighting demo looked good)

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Yeah, hopefully they'll show those gameplay videos soon.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    That's a pretty nice flashlight.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I have low hopes for this game at the moment. I believe it's being made by at least one of the Terraria devs. And they pretty much abandoned the last project with not even half of the promised features in they said they were going to add post release, pre-release. Not sure if it'll stretch over to any other developers on the team, but i'd rather not chance it until I see something more solid.

Pretty much a wait and see for me. Rather not get gipped again.

Archonex on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Terraria was well worth the price and they supported it for awhile with quite a few additions post-release.

Besides, I think only the artist from terraria is working on this.

Anyways, this game looks like it could be very cool.

Archonex wrote: »
    I have low hopes for this game at the moment. I believe it's being made by at least one of the Terraria devs.

The sprite artist. No other Terraria devs.

• ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    I have low hopes for this game at the moment. I believe it's being made by at least one of the Terraria devs. And they pretty much abandoned the last project with not even half of the promised features in they said they were going to add post release, pre-release. Not sure if it'll stretch over to any other developers on the team, but i'd rather not chance it until I see something more solid.

The only Terraria guy is the art guy.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

terraria was made by two guys: one who did the design/coding, and one who only did the graphics.
    part of the reason the main guy stopped working on terraria was that the graphics guy quit to make this competing game.

I kinda feel bad for the terraria guy, it really seems like the other guy dicked him over. "thanks for the job, btw I'm making a new game that's basically your game 2.0. sucks that you're a guy coding in your living room and didn't have me sign a non-compete clause. later bro"

SaraLuna on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    I have low hopes for this game at the moment. I believe it's being made by at least one of the Terraria devs.

The sprite artist. No other Terraria devs.

Fair enough. Maybe this game will turn out better.

Hard for me to think the Terraria coder got dicked over when it was a top seller on Steam for pretty much forever after its release. Not like he couldn't have hired a vast amount of talent to maintain the game when going on to other projects. He came off as a bit of a dick on his forums too. Refused to have an open API ever for extensive modding, since he was concerned about not being the primary source of content, etc, etc.

I'm interested to see if the Starbound guys are going to do what Redigit said he would, and never did, and actually put in dynamic content, myself.

Terraria was supposed to have it, like NPC's building their own kingdom (And you possibly eventually getting to build your own with much more intelligent NPC's.), but that never came about. If it's just "explore randomly generated worlds, the game", it might not be that fun in the long run. It'll be another linear track eventually.

I'll probably pick up the game once that starts showing up, if it does.

Archonex on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I feel much the same way as you do Archonex about Terraria but that is prefaced by that I more than got my monies worth. I really wanted to go find the attacking goblin army's city too but oh well, I still got a lot of fun hours out of the exploration, build up in gear, and boss fights.

But this isn't a Terraria thread so ... that "torch" video does make me think a lot of Terraria - which is kinda disappointing because I want to see SPAAAACE men going to and from their SPAAAACE station. But its way too early to make any kind of judgement call, all I have is my tepid fascination with its development, if anything it is hopeful seeing that video because it shows they have a playable build they are working with.

steam_sig.png
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I like how it looks, and I'd love to play it, but considering I stopped playing Terraria because it made my eyes hurt, I doubt it'll be a good idea.

RockinX on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    I like how it looks, and I'd love to play it, but considering I stopped playing Terraria because it made my eyes hurt, I doubt it'll be a good idea.

I guess I wasn't the only one that got sore eyes from Terraria. I'd really like to know why that game caused it, and never any others.

One thing I noticed in the video was that it wasn't necessary to jump over 1 block high obstructions. That would have been nice in Terraria.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Terraria had plenty of content when it came out. I was surprised we got as many updates as we did. Don't forget, it's a 10 dollar game that was almost always on sale for 5 on steam. You can't expect them to give you free dlc forever.

Steam: offday
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    All I can think about the whole Terraria situation is that there is probably a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know to make the artist jump ship on such a commercially successful project. I'd say that some of the statements from Redigit probably shine a little light on it (very little). The term "creative differences" comes to mind.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    This looks interesting. I really enjoyed Terraria when I finally got around to trying it, so I look forward to this new threat to my body and mind.
    Where we're digging to, we won't need eyes.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
    They just had a recent update stating what they were working on, from the sound of it things are progressing nicely, they added a new screen shot but I am still skeptical they have much considering the only actual video we have seen has been the flashlight demo.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    Looks like they're progressing very well on the game engine, but I doubt they have much decently finished gameplay to show off yet.

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Terraria was fun for a while. I admit I didn't really stick around to see most of the post release content, but I enjoyed myself quite a bit. I will be following this, indeed.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    Definetly looks interesting.

I played a bit of Terraria but never touched it after that week long orgy of chopping down trees and building 2D castles.

But a space station?! Sign me up.

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Hard for me to think the Terraria coder got dicked over when it was a top seller on Steam for pretty much forever after its release. Not like he couldn't have hired a vast amount of talent to maintain the game when going on to other projects. He came off as a bit of a dick on his forums too. Refused to have an open API ever for extensive modding, since he was concerned about not being the primary source of content, etc, etc.

That's the only part of the situation that annoys me. The game itself is more than worth the price, but given what it is, a modular API would have been awesome. Modders should have been able to easily rig up entirely new content up to new region types, with adding them to your game as simple as copying over a folder and then checking it off in a list. Instead, everything was locked down, wasting a ton of potential.

This discussion has been closed.