As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The School Thread and You, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Add/Drop

• AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    Just took my integration test, hopefully I did ok.

But more importantly, it's now SPRING BREAK!

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    i have to take a bus for the first time and i am really nervous about it

As someone who lives on public transportation

what?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Philosophy test, round 2. Hope I don't fail this one. I don't think I can, I studied 300% more than the last one.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Oh hey school thread. I just found out I have a group presentation to give in three weeks, one day before my sister's wedding in Mexico, and they are not letting me change dates. And no one will switch with me since I am scheduled to go first, a full week before everyone else. You might be thinking "Shouldn't they have put this information in the syllabus?" and the answer would be Yes! Of course they should have! But they didn't. Between the complete lack of scheduling in this class and the downright childish content in another, I'm wondering when my $30k/yr grad school turned into high school.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Jesus christ, you're going a week early and they're not letting you change the date?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    No, apparently the schedule was "mentioned" on the first day of class, but I was actually there and all they said was "beginning of April" which is a decidedly different thing from "end of March." Either way there is no schedule on the syllabus which is absurd. I am currently applying to other schools, this kind of amateur hour shit has been happening all year, and I have never gotten into these kinds of conflicts before this school. Real last straw.

Advice to people going to grad school: go somewhere where they've had the program for more than a few years. If it's less than five years old it is going to be a shit show.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Aeyther wrote:

How hard can an integration test be?

You just sit down at a lunch counter next to some dude of a different ethnic background than you, then politely have a sandwich.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    to yesterday, when there was an unhinged-looking shoeless man sitting near the front and I had to walk past him

When I used to work in Purdue's Engineering Library, there used to an old guy who would walk around the library all day and mumble to himself. One day he started yelling at someone indiscriminately so I threw him out.

Twenty minutes later, he came back with the Dean of Students.

He was a tenured professor.

Almost lost my damn job over that.

tl;dr - Tenure drives men mad with power.

oh my god this is amazing

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yay I finished my Japanese midterm
    my teacher did not know what skyrim was

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well of course they don't play your baka gaijin rpgs.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    then he asked if I had a 3ds

I was like

Nope

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    I also asked the girl out to eat some steak.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    what kind of steak?

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    man steak

it was

yeah

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    I was looking for "tube steak" but that answer also works.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote:
    I'd honestly study what interests you and give little thought to the job market.

But I am fairly averse to such forward planning.

Well see, my plan is to work as a diplomat. I feel that both history and economics will prepare me for that kind of job analytically, but economics will prepare me for a deeper analysis than history can in terms of economic situations, math, etc. I enjoy both really at the same level, and given that I'd only need 18 credit hours for a history major going first for the economics then bringing in history seems like a wiser choice.

Who knows though, when a year rolls around and I'll be transferring off to UT Austin and picking out my major maybe my mind will have changed. Hard to say really.

Oh I don't think it'll be a problem for you. It sounds like you are aligning your education with a dream.

Which is awesome.

I just hate the idea of people majoring/studying something in college primarily to get money coming out of it.

So, @Zonugal I think I found a better program for me to go into once I transfer instead of doing a double major.

It's this interdisciplinary International Relations/Global Studies major that would take use of the credits I have after graduation/gain next year, has required courses and approved courses for the various tracks in areas I'm really interested in, includes a senior research paper (similar to something I would do as an honors student in another department), a study abroad program requirement, and requires a minor in either the Asian studies department or Middle Eastern studies department which I'm also interested in.

Aside from all of this, the program looks like it'd prepare me for exactly what I want to do (Intelligence Officer/Foreign Services Officer) and would also place me in a decent position for graduate school.

I am excited by how this looks!

Oghulk on
  • AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Aeyther wrote:

How hard can an integration test be?

You just sit down at a lunch counter next to some dude of a different ethnic background than you, then politely have a sandwich.

I wish I could take that test, I'd politely eat sandwiches with anyone any day than sit through another calculus test.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    FUCK that English midterm.

So glad its done.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote:
    I'd honestly study what interests you and give little thought to the job market.

But I am fairly averse to such forward planning.

Well see, my plan is to work as a diplomat. I feel that both history and economics will prepare me for that kind of job analytically, but economics will prepare me for a deeper analysis than history can in terms of economic situations, math, etc. I enjoy both really at the same level, and given that I'd only need 18 credit hours for a history major going first for the economics then bringing in history seems like a wiser choice.

Who knows though, when a year rolls around and I'll be transferring off to UT Austin and picking out my major maybe my mind will have changed. Hard to say really.

Oh I don't think it'll be a problem for you. It sounds like you are aligning your education with a dream.

Which is awesome.

I just hate the idea of people majoring/studying something in college primarily to get money coming out of it.

So, @Zonugal I think I found a better program for me to go into once I transfer instead of doing a double major.

It's this interdisciplinary International Relations/Global Studies major that would take use of the credits I have after graduation/gain next year, has required courses and approved courses for the various tracks in areas I'm really interested in, includes a senior research paper (similar to something I would do as an honors student in another department), a study abroad program requirement, and requires a minor in either the Asian studies department or Middle Eastern studies department which I'm also interested in.

Aside from all of this, the program looks like it'd prepare me for exactly what I want to do (Intelligence Officer/Foreign Services Officer) and would also place me in a decent position for graduate school.

I am excited by how this looks!

That sounds awesome. I have a friend doing a program like that down in California.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    I really like the look of it. Combines everything I wanted to do into one degree plan.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Aaaagh. The graduate program I applied to (back in October) said they would notify those who were accepted before March 13th. The suspense is killing me.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Zonugal

Talk to me about how cool time is. I'm reading Husserl on time right now and it's the coolest fucking thing.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yay!!!!

Although I'm certainly not a huge expert on Husserl by any margin.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Heh sitting in class doing some CCNA lab work and I decided to start screwing around with wireshark to see what I could see in the packets and stuff.

I was able to find my userid and password while logging into the forums here really easily which is odd but I'm not that well versed yet but I don't think its encrypted.

I should probably get back to work.

icGJy2C.png
    God Damn that was the worst

like maybe i am lactose intolerant or something because jeez

sitting through those last two classes

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    and why are hawaii's roads so bumpy. pot holes everywhere.

i am trying to hold back the goddamn tides here.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    Heh that physics test

heheheheheh

my butt muscles are quivering in exhaustion

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    @Baroque And Roll have you ever read any Emerson?

I only ask because he is my favorite philosopher.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    and why are hawaii's roads so bumpy. pot holes everywhere.

i am trying to hold back the goddamn tides here.

I'm pretty sure they don't tamp them anywhere in the state as a form of job security. Smart when you consider that if it rains for half a day in a high traffic area all of the fillings are gouged out. There's a small shopping center over here that has an impromptu wheelchair ramp at the corner of an adjacent street because of all the fill that ran down the hill and accumulated on that corner.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    found out today that my fencing class actually started last week!

and that's why i took it non-credit (also because i will sleep through half the classes)

ducklett.gif
    @Mizumi, I hope you enjoy fencing.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    is building a fence so hard that you need to take classes???

broken image link
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    is building a fence so hard that you need to take classes???

actually, you would be surprised the dumb shit i've seen people do when they construct fences

like when my dad and i were fixing my sister's fence and i was badmouthing the dumbasses who did it and apparently it was the former resident of the house and the neighbor, who had been outside the whole time. wooops

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Pros of test possibly being pushed back until after spring break: more time to study (definitely need that), more time to play Mass Effect 3

Cons: ...not really seeing any cons here.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Despite the fact that I had been attending this class, I've been marked as never attended, thus removing my access from Blackboard and all the material I need to pass the course. I need to talk with the professor when this class is over.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah that might be a bit of a problem there, Trippy.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Looks like the registrar did...something. Good news is that it can be fixed. Bad news is that it may take a few days, and I'll have zero access to the lectures and labs during that time.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    @Baroque And Roll have you ever read any Emerson?

I only ask because he is my favorite philosopher.

I have read bits and pieces of Emerson. Suggestions?

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
This discussion has been closed.