As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Train Alliance 2012

• gootajobgootajob Registered User new member
    What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: John
    Boarding Stop: Philly, 30th Street Station
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, Boarding the 1:55 train

Sounds like there will be a party on this train. Looking forward to the good times.

• Barret80Barret80 Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    What line you will be on: Metal Gear Line
    Name: Nick
    Boarding Stop: Erie, PA 125 West 14th Street
    Ticket Purchased: Yes, Boarding at 7:22am

Barret80 on
  • MalaMala CeciltuckyRegistered User regular
    just a heads up to those who haven't purchased Amtrak tickets yet ... the price has gone up on the Sonic Line (and possibly the others). So to join the fun, at least on the Sonic Line, its gonna cost an extra $30 per ticket (or you can be cheap like me and take the 1.5 hour earlier 174 NE Regional for the normal price).

• BSWaddingtonBSWaddington Registered User new member
    What line will you be on: Sonic
    Name: Brent
    Boarding Stop: Union Station DC
    Ticket Purchased: YES.

What boardgames would people want to play?

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Just to update, tickets are purchased.

What line you will be on: SONIC
    Name: flatline [matt] and Cernunnos [Zach]
    Boarding Stop: BWI
    Ticket Purchased: YES

We will hopefully be taking the last car again, yeah? And playing munchkin/pandemic in the galley car.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What line you will be on: METAL GEAR
    Name: Samuel
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland
    Ticket Purchased: YES

This is my first PAX and my first big convention, actually. Finally realized that I was just going to get more and more busy as I get older and I should try to get to one before I graduate and REALLY don't have time. This setup looks like the most fun way to get there.

Also if anyone on the line has any hotel space and would be willing to let me pay to stay Thursday and Friday night, give me a PM ASAP.

mahshah on
  • BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    Mala wrote: »
    ...or you can be cheap like me and take the 1.5 hour earlier 174 NE Regional for the normal price
    But then you aren't on the PAX train. The whole point is to have fun with your fellow PAXers. Trust me, this will be the third year I go and PAX train is always a major highlight of my PAX experience.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    So any specific plans for the Metal Gear line?

• BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    I have been counting days since dec 31st. The time to return home is almost upon us. This must be what it felt like for Harry to go back to hogwarts every year!

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

I was thinking about getting a G+ hangout going on for people who are going on this line. The past 2 years, it's been a lot of Dominion, Munchkin, EPYC, Smallworld, MTG, DS gaming and the like.

• mahshahmahshah Registered User regular
    Dgeorge318 wrote: »
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

I was thinking about getting a G+ hangout going on for people who are going on this line. The past 2 years, it's been a lot of Dominion, Munchkin, EPYC, Smallworld, MTG, DS gaming and the like.

Sounds cool. Shame my DS broke, but I'm definitely gonna be up for some Munchkin. Maybe I'll bring my Citadels deck too, that game works great with a decent number of people.

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I'll bring along Zombie Dice if there is a reasonable place to play it. I assume there are some tables or something?

The cafeteria car has 8 tables on each side. Plenty of room.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Dgeorge318 wrote: »
    The cafeteria car has 8 tables on each side. Plenty of room.

It's probably worth noting that last year on the Metal Gear, there was a group that reserved the dining car for a couple of hours and they kicked everybody else out. So don't count on being able to sit in there for 12 hours and play Twilight Imperium or something.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The snack bar car and dining (restaurant) car are two different things. You can't reserve tables in the snack bar car (although in 2010, they made us group together tighter because "this car is for everybody". Nevermind that nobody else ever came into that care to sit down, only to buy their snacks and go back to their seats.

E6LkoFK.png

They actually kicked us out of the cafe car last year Moe. Something about a birthday party. (Who celebrates a birthday on a train!?)
    I don't foresee any major issues, both years of riding the train has proved to be quite fun and it just depends on the staff on the train. They didn't ask us to bunch together last year.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    The snack bar car and dining (restaurant) car are two different things. You can't reserve tables in the snack bar car (although in 2010, they made us group together tighter because "this car is for everybody". Nevermind that nobody else ever came into that care to sit down, only to buy their snacks and go back to their seats.

This was definitely the snack bar car (the dining car splits off in Albany and goes to NYC), and it was definitely reserved for some party.

I didn't know you could reserve the snack car. Seems kind of contradictory to what they told us in 2010 about the car being for everybody.

E6LkoFK.png

I didn't know you could reserve the snack car. Seems kind of contradictory to what they told us in 2010 about the car being for everybody.

Yeah it was a little weird/ couldn't even go in to get a drink during that time.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular

Yeah it was a little weird/ couldn't even go in to get a drink during that time.

Hey Binary, would you be willing to call Amtrak and see what it would take for us to reserve the snack car? Since you had first-hand experience with it last year, you could probably better explain what we're asking for.

Personally I think they did it just to kick us out for a bit. It doesn't make sense to reserve the snack car when they have a dining car more suited for that?

Also, I don't think they'd let us reserve it for the amount of time that we want :) We'll just have to go all NY gang style on them and kick people out who come up on our turf. Obviously through violence, and if that doesn't work, asking politely?

Honestly, it's not even so much to actually reserve the car as to 1) find out if it is really possible to "reserve the car" (if they say no, then we have some information if they try to do something like that to us again), and 2) if we can reserve the car, it at least prevents other people from reserving the car for a chunk of time.

• JerzeyLegendJerzeyLegend Registered User regular
    What line you will be on: Sonic Line
    Name: JerzeyLegend aka Orlando
    Boarding Stop: Philly, PA (via Harrisburg, PA)
    Ticket Purchased:Yes
    Comments: This is my first con, I will be most likely looking like a lost puppy. If you are boarding the early morning train on Thursday, you'll find me wearing a Team9000 shirt. I'm pretty approachable, so don't be shy.

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    My friends and I will be taking the early morning Philly train as well.

• InuFayeInuFaye Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    My tickets are now bought!

Who else is coming from Charlottesville?

InuFaye on
  • MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular
    It's official! I haven't been on a train since I was maybe 4? Get ahold of me on Twitter! I'll be travelling alone, since I'm meeting my boyfriend and a couple friends, who are driving, at the hotel.

What line you will be on: Sonic
    Name: Amy (aka Moocifer, aka @amysophie)
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia. Taking a lonely nonPAXtrain to from WNY to Philly to visit a friend, then hopping the Sonic line to head to PAXachusetts. :D
    Ticket Purchased: Yes!

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Kyuss wrote: »
    My friends and I will be taking the early morning Philly train as well.

With the number of people on the Sonic line, I'm starting to think that maybe we could support two trains, one in the morning, and one in the afternoon.

I also hope that everyone remembers Wheaton's rule while on the train; the conductors and attendants aren't usually used to dealing with large, somewhat rowdy crowds, so we should go out of the way to be polite and non-dickish in our behavior. I feel a little bad for them, they always seem a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    I have yet to run into an instance where the any train was sold out far enough in advance to warrant splitting the group into two. The goal for the ETA is to get as many on one train as possible. If we started supporting multiple trains per line, the group would get smaller. This would be something to consider if the Sonic Line sold out in, say, January or early February.

Keep in mind, the time chosen for the Sonic and Metal Gear lines are chosen so that people on other lines are able to connect to those two final lines. A second, earlier train would make it impossible for people on other trains to make that connection.

E6LkoFK.png

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    I have yet to run into an instance where the any train was sold out far enough in advance to warrant splitting the group into two. The goal for the ETA is to get as many on one train as possible. If we started supporting multiple trains per line, the group would get smaller. This would be something to consider if the Sonic Line sold out in, say, January or early February.

Keep in mind, the time chosen for the Sonic and Metal Gear lines are chosen so that people on other lines are able to connect to those two final lines. A second, earlier train would make it impossible for people on other trains to make that connection.

Oh, sure, I understand and agree. I wasn't so much thinking about being sold out, as much as the fact that at a certain point, we will fill up an entire train car. People will be forced to split into two groups anyway, and while being separated by train car isn't that dramatic, there are other limits to train enjoyability. For example, the cafe car eventually fills up with PAX people; only so many people can be playing games there at one time.

Just a thought. People forced to take the earlier train for other reasons may want to organize something themselves, like a certain train car to congregate in.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    My first pax was last year and unfortunately I did not get to meet mr Moe in person something about you missing the train? Hopefully I will meet the legend this year!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    My first pax was last year and unfortunately I did not get to meet mr Moe in person something about you missing the train? Hopefully I will meet the legend this year!

Moe is flying this year. He now lives in Seattle, so the train is a more difficult option than when he lived in Cleveland.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    What line you will be on: Sonic Line
    Name: Topher
    Boarding Stop: Penn Station, NYC, NY
    Ticket Purchased: Just bought it now!

Glad to be returning to the PAX train this year. Last year was a great experience and an amazing start to my first PAX. Hope to see some familiar faces again this year!

• alfalfadudealfalfadude ohioRegistered User regular
    What line you will be on:metal gear
    Name: bryan
    Boarding Stop:sandusky, ohio
    Ticket Purchased:yes

just wondering...this might be a dumb question....but how are we supposed to know who is who? is our spidey senses supposed to tingle or how is that going to work?

just wondering...this might be a dumb question....but how are we supposed to know who is who? is our spidey senses supposed to tingle or how is that going to work?

If you're at the first stop (Chicago in the MG case), your spidey senses will have to tingle. It should be pretty obvious, and I may make a sign of some kind, as I've heard that's worked well in prior years. By the time we get to Ohio though, we will probably have posted to the thread which car we've gathered in.

I was at the chicago stop last year and notice a few groups that I had a suspicion were paxers, but it being my first time I was too much of a chicken to ask. This year I don't think I will have that problem after seeing how awesome the pax community truly is.

yeah well. i guess you can't really miss a big dude with a big beard. so look out for me! haha

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    When I got on the train last year I figured it out in less than 20 seconds. I got invited to some card games as soon as I stepped on.

• cs6rangercs6ranger Registered User new member
    looks like the metal gear line is sold out if you are boarding in chicago.

This discussion has been closed.