As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Falkland Islands: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Tell Argentina to STFU

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I don't understand what the big deal is about wanting to see where the sources are on that 100 dead number...

Did you know I've got a book here that says over a thousand welshmen were set on fire by the crew of the Belgrano? It's totes a UN Security Council report, too.

Just give us the publishing date and article title.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    He can't because it doesn't exist. I'm just staggered that he actually thinks the UK would just straight up execute a hundred POW's and contrive it so the only evidence of said war crime would be a few mismatching numbers on an NGO report somewhere.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    He can't because it doesn't exist. I'm just staggered that he actually thinks the UK would just straight up execute a hundred POW's and contrive it so the only evidence of said war crime would be a few mismatching numbers on an NGO report somewhere.

And at the same time admit it and shrug their shoulders about it.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Well if some book says it it must be true dawgs.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I think we can trust X and Y's account of their actions almost 3 decades ago.

• Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sargasso wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    In all honesty, I regret expressing my opinion at all. I should have known better than to formulate unbiased conclusions on an anglo-centic website. Winners write history, I guess.

You have spent almost zero effort in replying to any of the factual points raised by those with whom you are arguing. Your claim to be unbiased given your absolute refusal to acknowledge the facts with which you have been presented is frankly laughable.

But go on thinking this is you being victimised because you dare speaking truth to power if it makes you happy.

The "facts" you put forward were all from the english version of wikipedia, the encyclopedia anyone can edit. How else am I supposed to react?

Pretending not to hear answers when they're given to you and ignore facts that dispute your claims while making ridiculous analogies is the Socratic method?

No wonder they executed that guy. He must have been incredibly annoying.

Annoying to those in power. He died because he refused to do the tyrant's bidding.

You're kind of beyond parody.

From Wikipedia:

"Claiming loyalty to his city, Socrates clashed with the current course of Athenian politics and society.[13] He praises Sparta, archrival to Athens, directly and indirectly in various dialogues. But perhaps the most historically accurate of Socrates' offenses to the city was his position as a social and moral critic."

"Socrates' paradoxical wisdom made the prominent Athenians he publicly questioned look foolish, turning them against him and leading to accusations of wrongdoing. Socrates defended his role as a gadfly until the end: at his trial, when Socrates was asked to propose his own punishment, he suggests a wage paid by the government and free dinners for the rest of his life instead, to finance the time he spends as Athens' benefactor.[15] He was, nevertheless, found guilty of both corrupting the minds of the youth of Athens and of impiety ("not believing in the gods of the state"),[16] and subsequently sentenced to death by drinking a mixture containing poison hemlock."

Unlike the Malvinas, this is a section of history that isn't ambiguous. So I don't see what was factually incorrect with my post this time.

I think we just need to teach Sargasso to doubt his opinions and techniques more when it may benefit him; I find the best way to be consistent is to look at what you will have written and critically think about, if, at any point, you may need to say the opposite to prove a point latter.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

And at the same time admit it and shrug their shoulders about it.

Well, at least we're honest murderers.

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh yeah because when the english invaded a small island thousands of kilometers from their own it was for the benefit of the locals, and totally not for profit. True story.

There was no 'invasion' you braindead uneducated moron.

Here's some things for you to ponder;

1: Britain had settled on the Falklands whilst 'Argentina' were too busy killing themselves over who ruled who

2: The British settlers were established some 30 years before 'Argentina' stopped killing themselves and became a unified Argentina we know today

3: The British have been there for 200 years. That's longer than some US states have been established

4: Geographical position counts for nothing. Hawaii is 2500miles from California but no one is telling the US to give it back to the indigenous population

5: Alaska is closer to Canada, so technically they own it, right?

6: and whilst we're at it, Australia should lay claim to New Zealand

7: The Islanders want to remain British.

8: Argentina invaded the islands (a point you keep banging on the British did, but seem to think it's okay when Argentina do it), stuck some 10,000 troops on the island, killed a load of soliders and some civilians, took 100 civilians prisoner and laid thousands of landmines. You'll have to forgive the islanders for not wanting to bend over and just take it from Argentina.

Oakey on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think only one or two civilians were killed by the Argentine forces.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    How special does your version of events need to be for the Argentinian invasion to not be an invasion, but for the Brits coming in to liberate the island and rescue their people to be "an invasion?"

edited March 2012

I just double checked as I thought it numbered around 30 but it seems three women civilians were killed.

Also, this account is worth a read;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109429/A-dirty-war-British-soldiers-shot-dead-enemy-troops-waving-white-flag-Argentinian-prisoners-bayoneted-cold-blood-An-ex-Para-tells-horrors-Falklands.html

Oh and also just received this PM;
    Sargasso wrote:
    You are entitled to your opinions as I am entitled to mine. So in order to preserve freedom of speech on this forum I had no choice but to report your hurtful comments towards me to a moderator. (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22365315#Comment_22365315) It's a slippery slope. You let one guy get away with abuse and threats, and next thing you know the whole forum is engulfed in repeated flame wars. As much as it pains me to single you out, I know it's for the greater good.

I sincerely hope that you will be able to learn from your mistakes and that you will be more courteous to others in the future. Just because it's a controversial topic, you should not use the anonymity granted to you by the internet to bully people and to insult their intelligence.

I decided to pm you instead of arguing publicly on the thread to give you an opportunity to retain your dignity by apologizing for your actions. If you do so, I will forget the whole thing and will remove my complaint to the mods.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sargasso

I like how he proclaims to be 'preserving freedom of speech' all the while telling me he's reporting me for calling him a braindead moron (I guess it's only 'free speech' when something is said he agrees with?). Apology son? Fuck off troll.

Oakey on
    I'm pretty sure that when you report someone to the mods, you are not supposed to send the person a passive-aggressive troll PM at the same time.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Anyway, so are we all agreed that settler nations, descended from an imperial colony have no legitimacy playing the boo@imperialism card against other settler states still linked to their respective empire?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Oakey wrote: »

I just double checked as I thought it numbered around 30 but it seems three women civilians were killed.

Also, this account is worth a read;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2109429/A-dirty-war-British-soldiers-shot-dead-enemy-troops-waving-white-flag-Argentinian-prisoners-bayoneted-cold-blood-An-ex-Para-tells-horrors-Falklands.html

Oh and also just received this PM;
    Sargasso wrote:
    You are entitled to your opinions as I am entitled to mine. So in order to preserve freedom of speech on this forum I had no choice but to report your hurtful comments towards me to a moderator. (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/22365315#Comment_22365315) It's a slippery slope. You let one guy get away with abuse and threats, and next thing you know the whole forum is engulfed in repeated flame wars. As much as it pains me to single you out, I know it's for the greater good.

I sincerely hope that you will be able to learn from your mistakes and that you will be more courteous to others in the future. Just because it's a controversial topic, you should not use the anonymity granted to you by the internet to bully people and to insult their intelligence.

I decided to pm you instead of arguing publicly on the thread to give you an opportunity to retain your dignity by apologizing for your actions. If you do so, I will forget the whole thing and will remove my complaint to the mods.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sargasso

I like how he proclaims to be 'preserving freedom of speech' all the while telling me he's reporting me for calling him a braindead moron (I guess it's only 'free speech' when something is said he agrees with?). Apology son? Fuck off troll.

More abuse and foul language? A jingoistic Daily Mail link proposed as a reputable source? Publishing pms and trying to get others involved when I specifically gave you an opportunity to resolve this situation peacefully on your own terms? Your post gives me the distinct impression that you are trying to goad me into making hurtful comments of my own, in the hope that I will be punished by moderators again. Well, just so you know I will not fall for your clever ploy, and I'm offended that you thought I would.

I tried to stay away from what is a controversial topic, seeing as we had come to an impasse, but I guess Captain Carrot was right. I have no choice but to respond in this thread if I am to defend my honor from your relentless abuse.

Flame_Shot.gif Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a year. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    You could try responding to the arguments and evidence given by everyone else, instead of crying foul all the time. That'd do a might bit more for your "honour" than, well, everything else you've done in this thread so far.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Sargasso wrote:
    I tried to stay away from what is a controversial topic
    No, you didn't. Nobody notified you, so you must have been reading the thread, and doing so without posting for a few hours doesn't exactly count as leaving.

Sargasso wrote:
    No, you didn't. Nobody notified you, so you must have been reading the thread, and doing so without posting for a few hours doesn't exactly count as leaving.

:lol:

• SargassoSargasso regular
    edited March 2012
    Sargasso wrote:

It was set to be much longer than that, except people started up digging old posts and challenging me out of context. Why are you commenting on this issue, anyway? I did say you ended up being right.

edit: I also have a different perception of time due to medication

Sargasso on
    Flame_Shot.gif Light a fire for a man and he'll be warm for a year. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
    edited March 2012
    Hemlock?

You think mental illness is funny? Good to know.

Sargasso on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Mental illness isn't funny, but referencing someone's claim to be Socrates reborn is.

Hemlock?

You think mental illness is funny? Good to know.

I should be aware of your illnesses? I think not. None of my business.

I was making the obvious Socrates joke, and unfunny though it may have been, it takes a real goose to read it as some sort of malicious attack when the humorous intent is so obvious.

• Guys come on, people are going to accuse me of derailing the thread again. How did we get from Malvinas to this?

I thought you had claimed to be on the British side all along, and thus Falkland Islands would be the proper name rather than Malvinas?

• I thought you had claimed to be on the British side all along, and thus Falkland Islands would be the proper name rather than Malvinas?

Eh I just think it sounds nicer that way and that's the term I'm most familiar with. To be honest it's a minor point.

No, it's really not. The words you use to frame a debate influence the conversation immensely. Using the term Malvinas implies that the islands are essentially non-English, which is untrue.

• No, it's really not. The words you use to frame a debate influence the conversation immensely. Using the term Malvinas implies that the islands are essentially non-English, which is untrue.

Well after closer examination of the thread I noticed that I am one of the few users who call them that. So in a way I am balancing the debate instead of creating more controversy.

I wonder if we were discussing modern day Turkey, if you would be calling the capitol city Constantinople.

I'm guessing probably no.

More abuse and foul language?

It's the only response you deserve
    Sargasso wrote:
    A jingoistic Daily Mail link proposed as a reputable source?

It's an excerpt from a book. If you'd clicked the link you might have worked that out.
    Sargasso wrote:
    Publishing pms and trying to get others involved when I specifically gave you an opportunity to resolve this situation peacefully on your own terms?

Others invovled? You reported me and then used that as some sort of bargaining chip in an attempt to extract an apology out of me.
    Sargasso wrote:
    I have no choice but to respond in this thread if I am to defend my honor from your relentless abuse.

What honor?

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Guys, could you stop feeding him, please?

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Oakey wrote: »
    More abuse and foul language?

It's the only response you deserve
    Sargasso wrote:
    A jingoistic Daily Mail link proposed as a reputable source?

It's an excerpt from a book. If you'd clicked the link you might have worked that out.
    Sargasso wrote:
    Publishing pms and trying to get others involved when I specifically gave you an opportunity to resolve this situation peacefully on your own terms?

Others invovled? You reported me and then used that as some sort of bargaining chip in an attempt to extract an apology out of me.
    Sargasso wrote:
    I have no choice but to respond in this thread if I am to defend my honor from your relentless abuse.

What honor?

Like I said, I won't fall into your cute little trap. If abuse and one line questions is the only thing I "deserve" according to you then you deserve to be ignored. I'm also a bit concerned that you seem to condone acts such as bayonetting surrendering prisoners after throwing a tarpaulin over them, as depicted in that first person (ie biased, unverifiable memories) account.

• I wonder if we were discussing modern day Turkey, if you would be calling the capitol city Constantinople.

That's apple and oranges man. Turkey was never invaded by the british

edited March 2012
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Guys, could you stop feeding him, please?

You'll note that I tried to step away from the thread. But Oakley decided that I was a "moron" and that I deserved abuse. He dug up old comments out of context and openly insulted me. I tried to pm him, but no, he wanted to bring the argument to the streets to get attention. I tried to find an amicable solution, and never got a reply.

I propose we forget all this and simply ignore Oakley without whose input none of this would have happened.

Sargasso on
    edited March 2012
    I love how you pick up on that but ignore the part where in the previous battle the Argentinians waved a white flag to surrender and then opened fire on the troops that went to take that surrender. You're also happy to accept that as fact before banging on about how it's a biased unverifiable account!
    Sargasso wrote:
    I propose we forget all this and simply ignore Oakley without whose input none of this would have happened

You are delusional, it was your input that started all this. It was your pig-headedness that chose to ignore all the evidence presented before you and continued to troll this thread. Now you, a member of two days, are trying to get other members (who I've never had a problem with) to ignore another user of eight years? Take your meds kiddo.

Oakey on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    No, it's really not. The words you use to frame a debate influence the conversation immensely. Using the term Malvinas implies that the islands are essentially non-English, which is untrue.

Well after closer examination of the thread I noticed that I am one of the few users who call them that. So in a way I am balancing the debate instead of creating more controversy.

Not really. If you could provide support to the idea that the Falklands should be called the Malvinas, then calling them such might be considered balancing the debate. Right now, what you are doing is of the same vein as me referring to the American Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression. Don't get me wrong, watching you flaunt mental prowess akin to that of the great Mad Morlock is most entertaining, but in this case as with so many others in this thread, you are wrong.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Guys... Just put him on the ignore list. Works wonders.

• Sargasso wrote: »

Not really. If you could provide support to the idea that the Falklands should be called the Malvinas, then calling them such might be considered balancing the debate. Right now, what you are doing is of the same vein as me referring to the American Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression. Don't get me wrong, watching you flaunt mental prowess akin to that of the great Mad Morlock is most entertaining, but in this case as with so many others in this thread, you are wrong.

I base it on the Argentine claim to the islands renewed in 2009.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So how about them islands?

Has Katy Perry made her position clear? That's what we're all waiting for.

PSN: Honkalot
    I wonder if we were discussing modern day Turkey, if you would be calling the capitol city Constantinople.

Neither were the Falkland Islands.

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular

Why did Constantinople get the works?

This discussion has been closed.