As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

art works questions

gyf7048gyf7048 Registered User new member
edited March 2012 in Artist's Corner
How can I improve my background? I want the composition to feel exciting and fun but simple
Please help :)))
BubbleBobblefinal3.jpg

Afi

gyf7048 on

• Options
    NicNic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I say use a background like you'd see in Puzzle Bobble/Bust-a-Move

puzzle_bobble_1_palm.gif

puzzle-bobble-3-1.jpg

It's up to you though, but whenever I see the bubble bobble characters I immediately think of those kinds of two-tone backgrounds.

Nic on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    The purple...thing in the bubble balloon is great. I like the soft ambiance of the negative space in the background. Whether you did some subtle fading in there or it's a visual trick with the bubbles, I don't really care, it looks good.

So good, in fact, I'd say the lower half of the image actually looks a little less interesting than the upper portion. Part of the problem might be the bubble composition in the lower half is very symmetrical. Which wouldn't necessarily be bad, but it's just not as visually interesting as what's going on up above. The top half of the image has bubbles that seem suspended in a moment, rising or falling, but the ones in the lower half are kind of clustered, settled-they look like they're not going anywhere. The scattered items in the bubbles in the lower half don't seem to have a lot of presence, which might be solved by making them larger, or by having more of them.

I'd definitely play with the bubble arrangement a little more on the bottom of the screen. Try making one of the major bubbles the guys are sitting on larger than the other. It might help placing the bubbles that are there a little more unevenly, as the four bubbles that define the 'corners' of the lower half kind of also have identical clipping going on, which makes them appear even more similar along with seeming static.

Whatever you might be looking for in the background will probably be good, because as far as I'm concerned, the mauve shading back there already seems pretty effective to me. Good work so far, though.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Thanks a lot guys:P
    Here is revision of the cover
    BubbleBobblefinalrevision.jpg
    I decided not to change the background very much but just a light touch of gradient

gyf7048 on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hi guys,
    here is a drawing I just did. It is about reflection between life and death. Some feedback will be great! :P
    Theotherworld.jpg

gyf7048 on
  • Options
    how can I make my new work in the first page?

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    'edit' button in the top right of your post.

• Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Not too bad, but proprotion-wise, some stuff is a bit off (tiny legs and ribcage on the left skeleton). My biggest gripe with it is that it's just a bit difficult to read. Value-wise only the center tree really pops out, while i can barely make out the skeletons when squinting. Even the tree halfway to the horizon grabs more attention than the skeletons. Perhaps the ground texture muddles things up too much?

• Options
    Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    Re the first pic: maybe a cartoony sky with clouds? That scene makes me think they're flying away.

For the second one maybe a little color (or gray shading) would help distinguish the characters a bit, separate them from the background. You have a lot of great detail there, but it gets lost in black and white.