As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Summer Slugfest Slamdown: Movies & More!

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think Rich is a fantastic character, but he went out like a damn champ and doesn't need to be brought back any time soon.

Sam seems like he has the potential to be a fun new young hero in the vein of Ultimate Peter Parker, but in the 616. It helps that I am betting Hickman will be writing him in Avengers post AvX.

Stop saying that! If people talk about it in public IT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Was it even mentioned in Secret Avengers when Rich died? He was a pretty big part of the team for that first arc...

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    They probably want to gloss over the fact that they put a cosmically powered human rocket on a stealth team

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rich will be back one day

Because one day I will write comics

and all the chump heroes will be getting their asses kicked

AND THEN

the Sentry and Nova fly in and beat up all the baddies

it will be awesome

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Do you think they decided not to use Rich because his name was essentially Dick Rider?

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    I think they decided not to use Rich because he isn't going to be in any comics anytime soon

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Do you think they decided not to use Rich because his name was essentially Dick Rider?
    No.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    The conversation has moved on, but I'd like to say that Emerald Knights was pretty damn good.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    is it just me or weren't there more animated movies on netflix before? All I can find is superman/batman apocalypse (which i'm starting now)

is it just me or weren't there more animated movies on netflix before? All I can find is superman/batman apocalypse (which i'm starting now)

I watched Superman and Batman: Public Enemies and Red Hood on Netflix before.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    They rotate stuff in and out.

steam_sig-400.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh I see... Guess I'll just check again in a while. I wanted to watch the captain marvel one but it's down now.

Anyway, apocalypse was pretty good... although the last fight scene didn't add much. Yeah the fight scene looked awesome and I get that it was the final plot point for her character arc but it could have been done in other ways and the way the climax happened on apokalips was pretty sweet and felt smart and a little bold for the way the narration was handled. then someone must have realized "oh shit, we can't have resolution without a huge fight scene." I feel like that took away from the ending a bit.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was my biggest problem with it as well.

I think overall I liked it a lot more than most of the folks here, but that last fight really took the movie down a bunch of notches for me.

Also, the scene where Supergirl goes to the mall and instantly becomes addicted to shopping was the worse, but I guess that wasn't in the source material, so I can't blame it on the Loeb.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I just watched it recently as well and I found it really disappointing. I really enjoyed the beginning with Supergirl trying to get a handle on her powers, but it quickly went downhill. I found myself actually laughing at some of the horrible dialogue and acting (Summer Glau really phoned it in). There were a lot of little things that bothered me, like Batman not having any sort of remote control for his vehicle. Also, the final fight scene, while looking cool, was entirely pointless and rather inconsistent. Look at Darkseid getting punched through the wooden wall of that barn! That must really hurt! Or not. Oh, and then there was the stuff with Harbinger. Where the hell did that come from? It felt like I missed 20 minutes of the movie or something.

(Summer Glau really phoned it in).

That's her default acting mode - it works better when she's supposed to be playing an android or a mentally disturbed science experiment.

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    a Jeph Loeb created character named Sam?

i'm shocked

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Rich will be back one day

Because one day I will write comics

and all the chump heroes will be getting their asses kicked

AND THEN

the Sentry and Nova fly in and beat up all the baddies

it will be awesome

On that day, I will become a professional assassin and eventually collect enough blood money to bribe Marvel into killing Sentry like a bitch all over again ;) .

Of course I would then bribe Marvel to give you control over an ongoing Nova series and eventually a movie deal. Goddamn a Nova movie would be AWESOME.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
    Hensler wrote: »
    (Summer Glau really phoned it in).

That's her default acting mode - it works better when she's supposed to be playing an android or a mentally disturbed science experiment.

Yeah, she's much better with eccentric characters.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/03/07/ultimate-spider-man-animated-series-cartoon-clips-video/

Clips of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Still mixed on these clips. They're really not what I was expecting, but I did like Teen Titans which this show clearly resembles.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I know it shares a lot of the writers, but it really, really sounds like Ben 10.

I can't even explain it, but there's this weird way of delivering dialogue and story and stuff and mixing it all together than Ben 10 and Generator Rex do, and this has the same style of dialogue, pacing, cutting, etc.

But what's worse is that it looks like we won't be getting much Peter at all in this show, effectively limiting how good of a spider-man show it can be.

Yes! I thought there was something familiar about the show.

HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I know it shares a lot of the writers, but it really, really sounds like Ben 10.

I can't even explain it, but there's this weird way of delivering dialogue and story and stuff and mixing it all together than Ben 10 and Generator Rex do, and this has the same style of dialogue, pacing, cutting, etc.

But what's worse is that it looks like we won't be getting much Peter at all in this show, effectively limiting how good of a spider-man show it can be.

Man of Action (Joe Kelly/Steven T. Seagal/Joe Casey) are writers for the new Spider-man cartoon. That's why it has the Ben 10 vibe to it.

Also, here's a Kirby Krackle music video. Really dig this song, and their CD's are full of similar fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7gfKl13Ek&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Also, here's a Kirby Krackle music video. Really dig this song, and their CD's are full of similar fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7gfKl13Ek&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I like this a lot!

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    It's still not going to be as awesomely absurd as in Face/Off when he played someone playing himself. That was a trip.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    A group of nerds stealing comic books? I hate that I know I'm going to watch this movie.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    AMC Theaters to marathon all of the pre-Avengers movies before the midnight release in select theaters

I still haven't seen Captain America, Thor, or The Incredible Hulk (although I have no idea how much of that will be kept/discarded), and I don't have finals on this day or the day after, so I am seriously contemplating this

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    AMC Theaters to marathon all of the pre-Avengers movies before the midnight release in select theaters

I still haven't seen Captain America, Thor, or The Incredible Hulk (although I have no idea how much of that will be kept/discarded), and I don't have finals on this day or the day after, so I am seriously contemplating this

I'd pay $Texas if this was happening in my town. I never saw Iron Man or Hulk in theaters and I was planning on taking the day off and watching all five movies in a row anyway.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Ugh, why aren't there any AMC theaters near me??

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not watching Thor and Cap in 3D.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hey, I remember reading an article about how in an older script of Thor, there was a shadowy Men In Black organization that they later turned into SHIELD to help tie into the Avengers. Anyone else see this article and/or have a link?

Watch them immediately. Cap is amazing, Incredible Hulk is entertaining.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    But SHIELD is in Thor...

But SHIELD is in Thor...

They may not have been in earlier drafts.

The show has nothing to do with the comic.

Joe Cassey (Man of Action dude), on the newest smodcast referring to Ultimate Spider-Man.

That's become obvious with everything they shown, but still slightly dissapointing.

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Ugh, why aren't there any AMC theaters near me??

Yeah, I noticed the lack of Oregon on that list too. Goddamit.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    are there any AMC theaters in Oregon at all, actually? I don't recall ever seeing a theater that wasn't Regal in this state.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I would go to this in a second if I could. I would also hope that no one would try to bring kids to this thing.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Nearest of those theaters to me is a 7+ hour drive. :(

This discussion has been closed.